What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

Hmm back when legends where like hidden and I randomly found them while exploring xD good times. Also catching mewtwo, I wasted so long to never catch it.... then my friend caught it for me ....

Not much to add, but it's been very nostalgic reading this.

I still listen to the Lavender Town music from time to time. (It sounds really cool backwards, too.)

Like many have said, I miss the mystery and dark atmosphere of the original games. It was the product of young age, lack of information because the Internet wasn't as available, low-quality yet awesome graphics, and the developing franchise trying to define itself.

I miss playground battles, and then playing Pokemon on the down-low beneath the wooden play-structure at recess after my school banned it. I actually remember the day the principal announced the ban on the intercom, and thinking that I had 'Pokemon contraband' in my backpack at that very moment. When Platinum came out, Pokemon enjoyed a resurgence at my high school, with people using the wireless feature to battle neighboring classrooms. :P

Of course, the TCG was huge. Good times. :)

I don't mind how complicated pokemon has gotten; in fact I welcome it. What I actually miss the most is the memorable 8-bit chiptunes. And the mystery surrounding the original GB trio with all the rumours, fake cheats and glitches. What fear and wonder they inspired in my ten year-old heart...

Being able to catch and train just any 'mon. No need for fancying around with EVs and natures. TMs were also really easy to obtain and multiply, as well.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't consider the games any better, but the fact that it wasn't a complete social taboo to like pokémon. I have 2 friends now who still like pokemon and my brother went off it some time between G/S and Crystal. If anyone else found out I still play it (particularly spending time on breeding, EVing, getting everything right), especially girls, I'd be afraid to show my face.

Back then the games just felt like they were so much more fun. I had more friends IRL who played it, there wasn't so much useless stuff getting in the way of enjoying the old games like how the new games have all this bizarre stuff that is pointless. Not to mention most of all that I was more naive about the game. I didn't think I was such a fail at the game because I didn't know any better.

Honestly, a thing which I miss a bit (in-game, not competitively) was the old DV/EV system. It sucks when you use a Roserade to fight against Rock-type mons in Platinum and she ends up with only Defense EVs and crappy SpA. In Gen I (and Gen II as well), the fact that every Pokémon contributed to all stats made playthroughs much more enjoyable IMO. You didnt have to worry about having an Impish Alakazam or a Relaxed Jolteon, too.

Indeed, while sometimes I still find myself play RBYGSC again (on emulators, obviously), I would hardly want to start again RSE (and especially DPPt).
YES. I heartily agree. The thing I miss though, most of all, is Dragonite having the highest base attack of any Pokemon. It's really sad that it's only recently that he's gotten a physical Dragon move, since Mence outclasses him in every way, and did in the previous generation as well.

I miss the Pokedex. It looked so, so, so sophisticated back then, and now in like HG/SS its going horizontal or something. WTF? I like my Pokemon lists going vertical.

Ah, takes me back :)
I really loved how everybody played Pokémon. Even here in Belgium (Europe), everybody was into it. I remember how my mate and I would own everybody, because we knew everything about the games, the pokémon.
What i miss the most:
-Only 151 pokémon, so cool, everyone knew all 151 pokémon back in the days :)
-The map. Just the map on it's own was awesome, the city's, the gym leaders, pure nostalgia
- Ow F*ck this, i just wish everything is back like it used to be :D

I don't consider the games any better, but the fact that it wasn't a complete social taboo to like pokémon. I have 2 friends now who still like pokemon and my brother went off it some time between G/S and Crystal. If anyone else found out I still play it (particularly spending time on breeding, EVing, getting everything right), especially girls, I'd be afraid to show my face.
Completely agree. My wife knows that I still play, and the fact that she agreed to marry me is a real testament to how wonderful she is.

Like others have said, the simplicity. Don't get me wrong, the newer generations have brought some great additions to Pokémon, Wi-Fi for example. However, it was these originals that revolutionized Pokémon and made it into what it is today.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I can remember the other day, I was struck by nostalgia when I remembered this Gyara I used to use:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Thunder
Fire Blast
Blizzard
Hyper Beam

Remember that one? Come, on you all know it.
Good days.

Probably when everyone would play with their favorite Poke'mon, instead of playing with the ones that had the most competitive value.

I miss the times when all of my friends were into Pokemon and we were all playing it together like a happy family (lol). Now, I'm like the only one in my school who plays Pokemon, let alone competitive Pokemon. :(

It's funny, you know--I just recently spent a several day long Blue playing spree to get in 'touch' with that part of my childhood. I had to keep the game plugged in, and I played for nearly a week straight since the internal battery died.
I loved how challenging yet somehow impossibly possible it was to complete the pokedex. Like collecting 200 S in BN, it was fun, seemingly not possible, but as you struggled to do it there was a feeling of accomplishment as you go closer and closer to the 151. (And for those not obtainable in 1 game I simply used the Mew Trick)

I also enjoyed fiddling with the glitches and the basic graphics of the game.

Finally, there's the fact that the 8 gym 4 E Four and champion concept was new, refreshing, and exciting. I'm not saying that the games have not improved, nor that the formula has been redundant. But the first time around, it was new, fascinating, and addicting (at least for me). I somewhat enjoyed the sequels, but in the end, it just seemed that I had finally "grown" out of the pokemon formula. There is just no more thrill in collecting, battling, or exploring the now (to me) dud RPGs.

It's funny, you know--I just recently spent a several day long Blue playing spree to get in 'touch' with that part of my childhood. I had to keep the game plugged in, and I played for nearly a week straight since the internal battery died.
I loved how challenging yet somehow impossibly possible it was to complete the pokedex. Like collecting 200 S in BN, it was fun, seemingly not possible, but as you struggled to do it there was a feeling of accomplishment as you go closer and closer to the 151. (And for those not obtainable in 1 game I simply used the Mew Trick)

I also enjoyed fiddling with the glitches and the basic graphics of the game.

Finally, there's the fact that the 8 gym 4 E Four and champion concept was new, refreshing, and exciting. I'm not saying that the games have not improved, nor that the formula has been redundant. But the first time around, it was new, fascinating, and addicting (at least for me). I somewhat enjoyed the sequels, but in the end, it just seemed that I had finally "grown" out of the pokemon formula. There is just no more thrill in collecting, battling, or exploring the now (to me) dud RPGs.
Huh. Interesting. But are you still going to get Black and White then?

Speed base crits of Gen 1 when it comes to mechanics
This.

I also miss how Tauros was such a badass mofo. I miss Tobybro, I miss Hyper Beam's effect of no recharge once you killed something, I miss Blizzard's amazing 90% accuracy...

I miss RBY.

EXP. ALL
Amnesia Mewtwo
TM Payday
Teleport Butterfree

Playing Blue Version on Super Game Boy until Zelda Oracles of Ages/Seasons came out as I NEEDED a Game Boy Color. Or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)