What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

i miss not having three mind numbing hours of tutorials at the begging of the game, in red they gave you your pokemon and threw your ass out the door, you figured stuff out yourself. Nowadays the professor holds your hand through everything and your mom shoves lessons down your throat about how to make your stupid pokegear work

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
151 Pokemon

Gary and Team Rocket

Using Missing No. to get x999 of every item

Having +6 lvl 100s

Mew using Metronome>Substitute>Metronome>Fly OHKOing opponent's Kabutops

Ditto not being entirely a gimmick

Charizard being bad ass

Blastoise being the best of the three starters due to learning Surf and Hydro Pump

Mewtwo

The simplicity, (no EVs, confusing moves, abilities, natures, and IVs)

Riding around the lake by Bill's house 10 times perfectly in order to activate a Dragonite battle event.

Mew under the truck

Yeah, that's basically the stuff that I miss...

me and Osirus were talking about this the other day...

At present RNG has spoiled us, to the point we dont play with imperfect Pokemon anymore. Back then Pokemon was really magical, for me a highlight was catching a Tauros in the Safari Zone and catching a Mewtwo :) It was like putting in the hard work and being proud of your pokemon. For me that was the spirit of the game.

Back then there was no Internet so like Gorgoroth pointed out it was more of a mystery so when you did something it was a big deal.....

The good old days :)

I don't feel like missing something from the old era, but I liked the rival encounter theme a lot. And the screen effects of Hyper Beam and Psychic. But missing them isn't horrible, though.

I miss hyper beam being physical and usable. If you killed the enemy poke you didn't have to recharge.

@Acklow: What dragonite battle event? I wanna try that.

I miss when everybody was into pokemon, mewtwo and how it could 2HKO the entire game, missingno and the glitch pokemon, the easier pokedex (filling that thing up is gonna be **** in Black and White!) Really, just great games and will always be my favorites in the series (especially yellow):toast:

Most definatly I miss the days of when the PC box held every useless item that you didn't want in your bag. lol Like the Town Map!!! Through I am sure most of us don't even bother getting the item in the RBY games just because we needed to put more useful items in our very small bag and slighty bigger PC box.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I miss the G/S days, because that's what I grew up with.
I guess walking around the Lake of Rage listening to that awesome music reminded me of 1st grade.
Fuck yes ;_;

I miss huddling around a window for light to play by. I miss Everyone crowding around to battle and trade. I miss when being the guy with extra AA batteries would, metaphorically speaking, get you laid.

Most of all I miss the face-to-face communication that happened as a result of those games. Now it's all online. Man, good times.

I miss Team Rocket because they were actually badass and I felt like punching Blue/Gary in the face cuz he was an asshole.

I miss huddling around a window for light to play by. I miss Everyone crowding around to battle and trade. I miss when being the guy with extra AA batteries would, metaphorically speaking, get you laid.

Most of all I miss the face-to-face communication that happened as a result of those games. Now it's all online. Man, good times.
I laughed, and then I cried because this was totally true. I was something like 4 years old playing Pokemon Red.

I will never forget the sheer joy I felt of going over to my friend's house just because he had Pokemon Stadium and I didn't. The first time I saw it I was like "What the hell is this? Animations? 3-d?....Hey you dropped your pocket" and then I'd run away with his game. Not literally, but it's what I thought.

I miss how I would constantly look for spare AA batteries in the house. Squint when there's too much light, gasp for light when there is none, brag about catching legendaries in a Pokeball instead of Ultraballs.

I miss Alakazam, he used to be so great I mean after mew and mewtwo he was probably the next best pokemon, but today he is completley obsolete thanks to that goddamn Azelf.

I also miss just being able to sweep the game with psychic types.

I just miss how ignorant i was when i first started playing
It was really awesome, just choosing your favorite pokemon, beating up your rival, meeting missingno
Now, I always worry about pokemon and their stats, moveset, etc.
I liked salvaging batteries as well, since my game pocket always ran out at the best moments
I even had a special charger pack for it o-o

I also really miss the simplicity. And catching pokes instead of just breeding. Well, at least even now, I dont RNG'd/Sav for perfect pokes. But it was better back then and more fun. Who ever found out and shared the info of IV's and to a lesser extenct, EV's should've just buried the info. >:/

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
The glitches! Ahh... the time when I thought catching Missingno. was the end of the world. So what did I do when I saw it? I caulght it, of course! (Those games had a mythology of their own didn't they?) Yeah. It is hard to beat the joy of capturing a lv. 7 Mew, getting a countless number of Master Balls off of Cinnabar, taking a trip to Glitch City, restarting the game on a cuttable tree, the list goes on.

Yellow Version was my first Game Boy game, and I loved recognizing the characters I saw in the Anime. Plus, there are few things in this world funnier than watching Pikachu freak out if you leave it on the top of a ledge.

Edit: This

Everything. The sense of nostalgia, the training in between gym leaders and the gym leaders as well. Getting lost before seafoam islands because I couldn't find Surf in the Safari Zone so I restarted to see if I lost a vital piece of information somewhere.

The Elite 4 and battling Gary over and over. I miss all of it, it's a great game. Oh ya and the hax'es alongside Cinnabar Island.

Item abuse when cloning so that me and my freinds would all be able to chip in and start building up teams to take on Stadium Round 2. I don't think we ever really cleared beyond Ultra Ball on Poke or Prime. :/

Easy item cloning with the missigno glitch.
The EPIC music. Route 1 and Viridian city music are just unforgetable for any pokemon player.

The single best battle that ever unfolded, or at least the best 3 turns ever:
My Slowbro was at about 100 HP or so, his Exeggutor was really low, I had 999 Special from 2 Amnesias. This was on cartridge, not on NBS.

Exeggutor is fully paralyzed!
Slowbro is fully paralyzed!

Slowbro is fully paralyzed!

Slowbro used Psychic!
The attack missed!

Exeggutor used Psychic!
A critical hit!
Slowbro fainted!

Ah, the 1/256 uncertainty. How I miss you so. Everyone knows Gen 1 is the coolest competitive generation.

I miss how the gym leaders seemed so dominant and popular with people

I mean, I couldn't tell you the pokemon Crasher Wake has, but every single person on this forum could tell you about Misty if they wanted

Even the gym leaders who weren't part of the tv show. Does anyone know what Surge's main pokemon is? Of course we all know, it's Raichu!

Conversely, what was Wattson's strongest pokemon in the Hoenn games? A whole lot less people can answer that.

It's hard to lose to today's gym leaders too, especially early
on where you basically get handed the badge. But Sabrina was a real challenge for sure (especially having massive special defense on Alakazam)

Well, the Advance Gen's gymleaders were pretty forgettable, but I can tell you Steven's star pokemon is Metagross and Wallace's is Milotic. And Tate and Liza are the Solrock and Lunatone kids. And how can you forget Byron and his BASTODION! (Granted, Volkner's Luxray, Fantina's Driftblim are probably more memorable.)

Pokemon games have always been easy if you grind enough and use elements to your advantage.

And people complaining about not being able to use the pokemon you like: Well, that's your choice. No one is forcing you to you strong pokemon, especially ingame. As for game mechanics, for some people, ignorance is bliss but not for me.

For something else I miss, it's the more cohesive pokemon designs. The first 150 pokemon usually shared physical features that made it feel like they belonged in the same group. I like a lot of pokemon in the later gens, but c'mon; Spiritomb just looks weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)