Rotom Forms

Why does gamefreak insist on ruining the metagame?? Why?!?!
They haven't ruined the metagame. They simply made a new metagame possible with 5th gen. I've only played 4th and 5th gen, but from what I know, all of the previous metagmes have changed with the introduction of a new generation. To me, a new matagame is really obvious.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
They haven't ruined the metagame. They simply made a new metagame possible with 5th gen. I've only played 4th and 5th gen, but from what I know, all of the previous metagmes have changed with the introduction of a new generation. To me, a new matagame is really obvious.
Yes, but this is the first time that they've ever changed a pokemon's type. That is going too far.

Yes, but this is the first time that they've ever changed a pokemon's type. That is going too far.
Not true. The first time was Magnemite and Magneton between Gens 1 and 2 (from pure Electric to Electric/Steel. Interestingly, that means that both cases of Pokemon changing types have involved Electric-types, who still retained that typing after the shift.).

This was an interesting choice, but it does open up more possibilities in terms of team slots.

Only wish they had given them moves to complement their new types. Although I know the logistics of that would be flawed. Being alternate forms and not entirely new pokemon.

"LULZ YUR EARTHQUACK CANT HIT MEH PHANROTUM BECUZ I HAVE TEH LEVYTATS LOLOLOL..."

Seriously... can these new forms can new abilities to go along with their type changes? Fan-Rotom with levitate is Game Freak trollin' us again..

I'm not sure why everyone is disappointed at the movement away from a SR-centric metagame. Did you want SR to completely control the BW metagame? With changes such as fewer reliable spin blockers and Aiming Rock, the BW metagame will hopefully be a little less mean to Articuno and Moltres. (etc)

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Not true. The first time was Magnemite and Magneton between Gens 1 and 2 (from pure Electric to Electric/Steel. Interestingly, that means that both cases of Pokemon changing types have involved Electric-types, who still retained that typing after the shift.).
Technically speaking they didn't really CHANGE magnemite and magneton's type. They just gave them a second type. But this is different. They've taken away rotom's ghost typing altogether!

I'm not sure why everyone is disappointed at the movement away from a SR-centric metagame. Did you want SR to completely control the BW metagame? With changes such as fewer reliable spin blockers and Aiming Rock, the BW metagame will hopefully be a little less mean to Articuno and Moltres. (etc)
Just because its no longer a TM, doesn't mean SR isn't gonna be as big as it was before. In fact it may be more prevalent now due to Pokemon like Shandera and Urugamosu being on the loose.

Pokemon that know SR on 4th gen games can still be transfered over to BW. Fan rotom is badly messed up now. Heat rotom better be glad that it has levitate or ground types would tear it up.

Just because its no longer a TM, doesn't mean SR isn't gonna be as big as it was before. In fact it may be more prevalent now due to Pokemon like Shandera and Urugamosu being on the loose.
Yea, Entry Hazards are still a major part of the metagame and SR is not an exception. Even tho it's only Beta stages, SR is still a very prominent factor. It is harder to block spin now as no ghost wants to switch into the Mole, but teams rarely have a spinblocker solely for SR.

As for Rotom-A, Rotom-W has obviously benefited the most. Tht said, for some reason i don't see it being high OU like Gen 4. Even though i think Rotom-W is actually a better pokemon now, the lack of ghost typing kinda reduces its utility on a team as obviously it can't spinblock, but also it can't switch into those fighting attacks like it use to.

Wow, how can people not LOVE these new types? We lost a spin blocker, but so what? We gained 5 new pokes. I'll take that any day :D
Each rotom has a gorgeous niche.

Heat: Amazing typing and levitate to cover its x4 weakness.
Wash: Gorgeous bulky water with amazing typing.
Frost: Boltbeam STAB? Do want. Even with Blizzard's shake accuracy.
Fan: Double ground immunity
Cut: Well...Not too sure on this one. >_>

Whatever. I absolutely love these changes. I'd also love to see a stealth rock decrease, but I know that's not gonna happen. There's still a plethora of spin blockers.

And that's a good thing? >_> It's not like x Pokemon uses Gravity, then it disables levitate or flying properties, but not both.

Rotom-Wash/Frost is getting the most benefit here. Explosion isn't going to be a big deal since you can add WoW- wait, doesn't Explosion lose that extra power it used to have in 4th generation? (Halving defense)

Wow, how can people not LOVE these new types? We lost a spin blocker, but so what? We gained 5 new pokes. I'll take that any day :D
Each rotom has a gorgeous niche.

Heat: Amazing typing and levitate to cover its x4 weakness.
Meh typing that wishes it was ghost
Wash: Gorgeous bulky water with amazing typing.
Pro, but no explosion/spin blocking
Frost: Boltbeam STAB? Do want. Even with Blizzard's shake accuracy.
Terrible typing, and having to choose between Blizzard and HP Ice is lol. Wishes it was ghost.
Fuck yeah (still wishes it was ghost)
Cut: Well...Not too sure on this one. >_>
Wishes it was ghost, but actually has pretty good typing
CHANGE IS BAD. I HATE CHANGE AND SO SHOULD YOU.

Like Lanturn with better stats (maybe?) and immune to earthquake but no volt absorb. Better than lanturn as I see it.
Rotom-F without Ice Beam is a letdown though. Clearly Blizzard is superior, based on the fact I think weather games would be more popular (perhaps even centralising).

Other than Rotom-W though, all of them become less defensive and more offensive. At least you have some moderately Grass, and a better Manetric.

And that's a good thing? >_> It's not like x Pokemon uses Gravity, then it disables levitate or flying properties, but not both.

Rotom-Wash/Frost is getting the most benefit here. Explosion isn't going to be a big deal since you can add WoW- wait, doesn't Explosion lose that extra power it used to have in 4th generation? (Halving defense)
Not when I shift into maximum overtroll

But seriously, you guys should start thinking outside the box. Explosion isn't nearly as common, since it's power from gen iv is HALFED.
As for rapid spin blocking, there's still a clusterfuck of options. Gengar, lolfroslass, Shandera, Dusknoir, Dusclops, and the omnipresent Burunkeru come to mind. I can't stop thinking most Rotom formes got the extra oomph they needed. And by most formes I mean every forme that's not Fan.

One of the reasons Rotom-A were considered the best spin blockers was not only their bulk, but the fact that they were immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. While this may not seem that important, in a stall vs stall match up, the player that lost their Rotom-A was usually put at a huge disadvantage.

None of the new ghosts have levitate and Gengar is far too frail to be blocking Rapid Spin. Burunkeru seems to be everyone's favorite new ghost but it hates Toxic Spikes. Nattorei may be outshining Forretress right now, but it's pretty ironic that Forretress with Toxic Spikes can ruin the Burunkeru/Nattorei combo on its own. In my opinion, the removal of Rotom-A's ghost typing was a step taken by Gamefreak to reduce the effectiveness of stall.

Now with the RapidSpin MoldBreaker Doryuuzu being faster than Rotom-A, the use of Rotom-A for stalling teams was going to fall anyway if Rotom-A was a ghost type.

Rotom-H and Rotom-W come of of this retype better off. Electric/Water and Electric/Fire with levitate are dream typings, and great STABs and support movepools means that Rotom-W/H will still function well in the metagame. The loss of ghost typing simply means the Rotom Formes aren't owned by Tyranitar or Pursuit. I would love to see a metagame not dominated by entry hazards. Another point to make is that now Rotom-W becomes an ultimate Rain Dancer, but this make be obsolete if Politoed's dream world ability is released/allowed.

so what pokemon will be best to spin block ow.
Dusknoir and Desukan are very bulky, Dusclops can be good with the Pre-evolution stone and Burunkeru have a good recovery move in Recover.

PS. A flying pokemon with levitate is a non-sense, the only advantage is being inmune to ground attacks coming from a MoldBreaker Pokemon.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
thats cool but i think rotom -W will make great use of the stab. Also a notable is that it doesn't have a pursuit weakness. with its ability it only packs 1 weakness which is grass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)