Conkeldurr

Roopushin @ Leftovers
Careful 252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Speed
Ability: Guts

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Payback

Unless everyone starts running Specs Gochiruzeru or Wobbs, I guarantee you it won't disappoint (even if they do, switch to Sub Punch and lol).
Prove me wrong, but I think Drain Punch + Mach Punch is not legal. Yeah I know Pokemon Online allows it but I suppose it won´t be for too long.

Prove me wrong, but I think Drain Punch + Mach Punch is not legal. Yeah I know Pokemon Online allows it but I suppose it won´t be for too long.
hitmonchan gets drain punch from a TM in gen 4 and can get mach punch from level 16 which would need the move relearner so it's legal

I think it is. No wonder I've never seen one. This is one reason why I don't play online simulators.

Drain Punch has to come from Kojondo, while Mach Punch must come from the only Mach Punch Humanshape father, Infernape, who cannot learn Drain Punch. So much for that set.

Focus Punch + Mach Punch is totally legal, though. Sub-Punchng is his best set anyway.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That depends. Can you transfer a Hitmonchan from 4th gen to breed with a female Roopushin? If so, the offspring could legally obtain both Drain Punch and Mach Punch, since they are both egg moves.

PO has most, if not all of the bases covered with legal movesets and team builder notifies you right away if it isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had this covered.

That depends. Can you transfer a Hitmonchan from 4th gen to breed with a female Roopushin? If so, the offspring could legally obtain both Drain Punch and Mach Punch, since they are both egg moves.
I'm pretty sure you can.

That would make it legal. I forgot that Hitmonchan is Humanshape.

SJCrew

Forgot a couple of things.

Admittedly, I've never considered using a Careful Roobushin. That's a considerable power drop. Can a Careful Roobushin OHKO Max HP Shandera?
64.8% - 76.5%

On average, no, but the only time that matters is if it's Specs and you're predicting the switch-in.

As for Gengar...uh, yeah. I really don't think I need to calc that one, since Roohpushin is still sitting at a comfy 316 Att without investment, but: 111.5% - 131.3%

LO Shadow Ball: 42% - 49.5%

gg, Gengar.

That list is ridiculous. Electivire is more used than Lati@s and Celebi? Charizard is more used than Darkrai? Srsly?
Yeah, hard as it is to believe, people are still using Electivire. <_<; Charizard gets Solar Power from Dream World and Darkrai was just recently banned. A lot of suspects are getting the "ignorance is bliss" treatment, which won't work for long...

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If that's all we wanted it for, then why not use Breloom or Hitmontop, who actually OHKO with no prior damage whatsoever? Why aren't those guys #5 instead of Roopushin?
Because neither of those pokemon have any defenses, and if they do it means they don't have the Atk stat to hurt anything. Breloom is also played completely differently with Spore and access to other competitively viable moves besides Mach Punch.

And don't give me the "omg #5" argument. We're talking about a list where Charizard is used more than Darkrai, and Electivire is used more than Latias. Pointing to a usage list is completely meaningless at this stage. It's a new pokemon and everyone is still stuck in "omg priority!!!" mode from DPP. Of course people are going to be using it.
Lol, "terrible team" argument. That shit gets old. I play a lot of good players and all of them have troubles with Roopushin. All of them.
Then you obviously haven't played "all of them". I can't believe you just told him to not talk about opposing teams and then go on to talk about opposing teams.
And if none of those three fillers have STAB Psychic or Air Slash, you're going to have trouble beating Roopushin. Period.
Anything that resists Fighting is a good Roobushin stopper. Flying types and Special attackers not weak to Mach Punch will force it out, at least. Every Roobushin user I've come across has just sat there trying to get Bulk Ups while I bring its health down far enough for the next thing to kill, which is easy because Drain Punch doesn't heal that much. It gets one KO, at best, and if it doesn't it's because you're using it exclusively to revenge kill.
Bulk Up Roopushin runs (or should be running) max/max Careful. That way, he can set up on weak special attacks.
I know it's still really early in the metagame, but there has to be a better EV spread than that.
The fact of the matter is, Roopushin is hard to kill and hits EVERYTHING for massive damage.
Oh give me a break, lol. This is exactly the shortsighted overhyping I was talking about earlier.
Fighting type is audacious defensively, and with Guts, he doesn't have to care about status.
Although Guts is a nice boost, it takes away Roobushin's main draw: Iron Fist. And even with Guts, it still has to worry about status. Poison and Burn take off huge chunks of health that you're supposed to be bringing back with Drain Punch. Paralysis means your priority moves fail 25% of the time. If pokemon could have two abilities, Roobushin would be incredible, but it has to choose and unfortunately that is a huge drawback for it.
Plus, with the new 75 BP Drain Punch, can 2HKO bulky sweepers like Garchomp at +1 (47.3% - 56.3%; even if Garchomp is at max HP and you roll low twice, you can finish him with Mach Punch).
This is my problem with this thread: everyone is making up these ridiculous situations that will never happen, and then saying "look how much damage it can do!" How are you going to come into Garchomp, get a Bulk Up, then hit it three times before it kills you? Even if it did, you're easy pickings for the next pokemon to come in. How are people going to get a Bulk Up and hit Hippowdon 3 times to kill it before it uses Roar?

If we're going to theorymon, let's at least TRY to restrict it to real situations that will actually happen in a battle.

Forgot a couple of things.

64.8% - 76.5%

On average, no, but the only time that matters is if it's Specs and you're predicting the switch-in.

As for Gengar...uh, yeah. I really don't think I need to calc that one, since Roohpushin is still sitting at a comfy 316 Att without investment, but: 111.5% - 131.3%

LO Shadow Ball: 42% - 49.5%

gg, Gengar.

Yeah, hard as it is to believe, people are still using Electivire. <_<; Charizard gets Solar Power from Dream World and Darkrai was just recently banned. A lot of suspects are getting the "ignorance is bliss" treatment, which won't work for long...
It certainly doesn't matter if Shandera switches in on a Fighting Move; it will certainly 2HKO you.

So how does a Roopushin make it past Gengar? If Roopushin has taken ~58%, and is trying to restore it's HP with Drain Punch, and Gengar switches in, gg Roobushin.

And if it's near full HP, Gengar takes it down with Destiny Bond. Losing Gengar to take out a boosted Roobushin seems like a win to me.

Yeah, Roobushin shouldn't be able to sweep any good team.

Edit: Using Electivire? WTF for? That list looks pretty meaningless.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It certainly doesn't matter if Shandera switches in on a Fighting Move; it will certainly 2HKO you.

So how does a Roopushin make it past Gengar? If Roopushin has taken ~58%, and is trying to restore it's HP with Drain Punch, and Gengar switches in, gg Roobushin.

And if it's near full HP, Gengar takes it down with Destiny Bond. Losing Gengar to take out a boosted Roobushin seems like a win to me.
Um I don't know about you, but I wouldn't expect Machamp to overpower these guys either. This is why you use something called, oh I dunno, a team instead of just one Pokemon.

Regradless, this is why you partner Roobushin up with Scarf Tyranitar; especially in Dream World. Scarf Tyranitar neuters Shandera not locked onto Energy Ball or Hidden Power Fighting / Ground, makes Latias and Latios think a bit more carefully when attacking, puts Gengar in a bad position, and still boasts the capability of using its Stone Edge to put Flying-types that would be troublesome for Roobushin at ease (like Borutorusu). Tyranitar is not the end-all solution to everything, but it certainly is one of the things that make the Psychic-type Pokemon that like to target Roobushin make second choices. Only Dream World Alakazam is "spared" so to speak since it has auto-Focus Sash to ensure itself of killing Tyranitar (since a miss can occur).

Aside from that, I'm not saying that Roobushin sweeps teams or anything of the sort whatsoever. It's a threat, and I'm not going to over-arch that. Yet, grasping at straws with Destiny Bond is pretty bad, since the only time it's commonly used is when Gengar is leading.

Um I don't know about you, but I wouldn't expect Machamp to overpower these guys either. This is why you use something called, oh I dunno, a team instead of just one Pokemon.

Regradless, this is why you partner Roobushin up with Scarf Tyranitar; especially in Dream World. Scarf Tyranitar neuters Shandera not locked onto Energy Ball or Hidden Power Fighting / Ground, makes Latias and Latios think a bit more carefully when attacking, puts Gengar in a bad position, and still boasts the capability of using its Stone Edge to put Flying-types that would be troublesome for Roobushin at ease (like Borutorusu). Tyranitar is not the end-all solution to everything, but it certainly is one of the things that make the Psychic-type Pokemon that like to target Roobushin make second choices. Only Dream World Alakazam is "spared" so to speak since it has auto-Focus Sash to ensure itself of killing Tyranitar (since a miss can occur).

Aside from that, I'm not saying that Roobushin sweeps teams or anything of the sort whatsoever. It's a threat, and I'm not going to over-arch that. Yet, grasping at straws with Destiny Bond is pretty bad, since the only time it's commonly used is when Gengar is leading.
I'm done comparing Machamp to Roobushin. It really comes down to Mach Punch vs No Guard Stone Edge, as they have similar defensive capabilities. IMO Rock/Fighting beats Fighting/Dark in coverage. DynamicPunch beats the hell out of Drain Punch.

What I'm disputing is the claim that Roobushin sweeps teams by itself. I see that you agree to that point.

If Careful(lol) Roobushin takes around (<)50% from LO Shadow Ball, Gengar can certainly stop a weakened Standard Roobushin. Destiny Bond is not really so uncommon on non-leads, especially after the Explosion nerf (at least on Random Wifi, that is) so I wouldn't call that clutching straws. Gengar rarely leads from what I've seen.

One reason for his large usage may be that he can revenge dooryuzu consistently with iron punch and has the bulk to be used before that and usually survive until doryuuzu is sent out

Name: Choice Band
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Payback
move 4: Mach Punch
ability: Guts / Encourage
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Spe
nature: Adamant

[Commentary]

What's the one thing Machamp lacks as far as a priority move goes? The lack of STAB behind it!
This is just a nitpick, but this seems to say that machamp lacks a lack of STAB priority. But i am really excited for this pokemon and hope that it is used!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is just a nitpick, but this seems to say that machamp lacks a lack of STAB priority. But i am really excited for this pokemon and hope that it is used!
C'maan you aren't really counting Vacuum Wave are you?
I'm done comparing Machamp to Roobushin. It really comes down to Mach Punch vs No Guard Stone Edge, as they have similar defensive capabilities. IMO Rock/Fighting beats Fighting/Dark in coverage. DynamicPunch beats the hell out of Drain Punch.
It partially depends so to speak.

First off, I disagree that Fighting / Rock is better than Fighting / Dark. Many the reason why Machamp didn't fear Rotom-A switch-ins that much was due to Payback working for it. Stone Edge is effective versus the Flying-types that plague Mach Punch, but Tyranitar fulfills both of those loves regardless. Guts does best with Payback since Ghosts are the main Pokemon to target with status moves.

Drain Punch's key advantage is that it keeps Roobushin healthy. Now it doesn't work so well on some sweepers, but what normally happens is this:

- Player A switches in Hippowdon
- Roobushin uses Bulk Up!
- Roobushin used Drain Punch!
- Hippowdon used Roar!

So most of the time, Roobushin (even under the scenario it's phazed out), it recovers any health that was possibly lost.

Roobushin's advantage is that it can "semi-tank" (I'm not going to say tank) through a team and at least keep itself as an annoying threat throughout the game. Machamp keeps itself as a threat through Confusion, while Roobushin keeps itself a threat by recovery. Whereas Machamp has 50% chance of having the opponent slap itself across the face, Roobushin stays as a threat with recovery (so long as it isn't a Ghost-type). Considering that walls (the primary focal point for Drain Punch) have a lot of HP, it's pretty useful. With a lot of teams at the current time focusing on the physical end of the spectrum, it makes Bulk Up + Drain Punch easier to use.

It's not so much as a target against you, since you didn't say something silly like "Machamp is a better user of Bulk Up", but regardless it's not a Pokemon you sit and underestimate with a Scarf Tyranitar being a good buddy to pack with him and shitstomps one of his bigger issues: Psychic and Ghost-type Pokemon thanks to Pursuit. I've had it sweep teams (mostly SS teams that probably could have been built a lot better), but it has been a useful threat nevertheless. Drain Punch was really a great move alongside the Bulk Up set, which I feel is probably his best in Dream World. For WiFi, I dunno exactly.

I guess it's more or less "I disagree with it sweeping teams like SD Garchomp can", but I also disagree with you on "Drain Punch is absolutely trash and Machamp is so much better". Even if Machamp is so much better, it would be a bit higher on both of those ladders, and I'd probably see it more in WiFi matchups on Youtube. Saying Mach Punch is his only advantage is just a bad statement, and more or less conceding what Machamp wishes it could have in this current metagame. I like Machamp better as a lead anyway, since Confusion threat is great early in the match-up and you could trick the opponent with Payback if they feel confident switching in a Ghost-type.

I mean I understand preferences, but I don't see the hate from your and j7r's end, especially since I've had major success with it despite seeing Special Attackers. It's best to stow it in the lategame or even midgame and make your impact from there.

I believe he is nitpicking the wording, which goes "Machamp lacks a lack of STAB priority", as in "Machamp does not have a lack of STAB priority" which means "Machamp has STAB priority", which is obviously incorrect.

Let's get one thing straight: I don't hate Roobushin. I hate when any Pokemon, especially a popular one, is overhyped. Saying that it can sweep well put together teams ala Gen4 Garchomp is overhyping.

Despite similarities, I find that comparing it to Machamp isn't really useful.

Also, in case you didn't know, Payback has been slightly nerfed; it doesn't double against switch ins.

Healing with Drain Punch is far from reliable. There are too many low HP sweepers and Ghosts for that to really work. The situation you suggest is great for Roobushin, but as you acknowledged, it won't always be like that. If the opponent switches in, say, Dusknoir instead of Hippowdon and proceeds to Pain Split, or possibly even Torment or Disable, Roobushin is forced out. If Roobushin is weakened, and trying to heal with DP, Gengar can come in and finish it off. Comparing once again, Drain Punch isn't as reliable as Dynamic Punch, which confuses all but Ghosts and Own Tempo Pokemon, forces switches allowing Subs, and discourages anything but said Pokemon from switching in on Machamp.

I think we can agree that Roobushin is a formidable threat yet it should not sweep a good team.

BTW That usage list means very little, and I don't expect Roobushin to be top 5 or even top 20 in BW OU. Okay, maybe top 20 due to it's ability to check TTar, who will always be a threat.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Let's get one thing straight: I don't hate Roobushin. I hate when any Pokemon, especially a popular one, is overhyped. Saying that it can sweep well put together teams ala Gen4 Garchomp is overhyping.

Despite similarities, I find that comparing it to Machamp isn't really useful.
Yeah, they play different roles so to speak. Their only similarities involve they have some bulk, they're Fighting-types, and threatening under certain conditions. That's about it.
Also, in case you didn't know, Payback has been slightly nerfed; it doesn't double against switch ins.
Ah okay, I got it mixed up. My mistake. What a dumb mechanic change; guess Stone Edge is better under most circumstances.
Healing with Drain Punch is far from reliable. There are too many low HP sweepers and Ghosts for that to really work. The situation you suggest is great for Roobushin, but as you acknowledged, it won't always be like that.
Low HP sweepers are usually susceptible to Mach Punch, so it's normally irrelevant. Drain Punch is mostly for Pokemon that hold higher HP (think of situations like Suicune coming in for a revenge kill, but I guess it could just Calm Mind or something. Vaporeon might be better example ?_?). Drain Punch is still okay under situations like this. I found it great with Iron Fist. With WiFi, I can't really speak. Probably wouldn't be as bad, but definitely see the flaws since its health restoring depends on the enemy's HP. I guess I've had better luck with it. Then again, I'd throw Roobushin in after a Doryuuzu killed something, Bulk Up in case it felt cocky with an Earthquake, then Drain Punch it. Leftovers recovery helps, and DW can use Tension Tyranitar if they really hate Sandstorm (then again why deny Tyranitar a free SpD boost?) But yes, Drain Punch is better on higher HP targets. Not doubting that for a second.

Besides, Drain Punch I never saw as reliable. It's more or less a beneficial secondary effect that it has. It works better on tanky Pokemon than it does with some sweepers (and I stress some since we're not including Gengar for example).

As for Ghosts, I will concede that's a difficult trial for it, but it's a difficult trial for most Fighting-types anyway. It's a common problem; especially with Payback's nerf. But yes, that would stop a sweep.
If Roobushin is weakened, and trying to heal with DP, Gengar can come in and finish it off.
Most of the time, you start with Roobushin at full health. Best way to drag him in is after a revenge kill; primarily one that is physical. A lot of the Pokemon that I've at least seen sweep lategame with physical Pokemon (think Doryuuzu, Terakion, Garchomp). I've seen special sweepers of course, so I take caution with that and don't send Roobushin in obviously. Physical Pokemon that aren't resistant to Drain Punch is usually the best way to use it. Okay, you're right that it won't likely get you full HP, and that's fine. Most of the time I'm content with 50-75% HP range, since it will allow him to brace a Physical hit if it comes and SOME special hits (I'm thinking more from a Bulky Water). Drain Punch is used primarily because Hammer Arm sucks. I think we can agree on that. Is it a bad move? Absolutely not. Can it be unreliable? Yeah, I can agree it is somewhat unreliable under some circumstances.
Comparing once again, Drain Punch isn't as reliable as Dynamic Punch, which confuses all but Ghosts and Own Tempo Pokemon, forces switches allowing Subs, and discourages anything but said Pokemon from switching in on Machamp.
If we're playing the Sub game, Roobushin does something different. Instead, it threatens frail sweepers that are weak or neutral to Mach Punch and don't want to take a hit. Fearing this, they'll switch out and get a free Substitute. SubPuncher doesn't even use Drain Punch anyway, and I wouldn't expect it to. Confusion chances are pretty damn scary when Machamp is behind a Substitute, but Iron Fist Roobushin behind a Substitute is pretty damn scary. The big and bad Skarmory takes 73.1% - 86.2%. No way in hell is any Pokemon, barring a Ghost-type or maybe a resist like Cresselia, going to like Focus Punch. Then you have Mach Punch to finish it off after the Substitute could break (which it likely will).

It's difficult to even compare the two. They play similar, and play different at the same time. It neither hurts nor helps them aside from naming pros and cons with each other.
I think we can agree that Roobushin is a formidable threat yet it should not sweep a good team.
*Shrugs*. Who knows, the good team could still be behind a bad player, but we also don't know what a "good team" is. People are so overprepared for Doryuuzu that they aren't looking at a lot of special sweepers. They're glaring right at Roobushin in particular, and taking minor glances at Azumarill, Hitmontop, Breloom, etc. Good teams have Terakion, Sazandora, Lucario, Tyranitar, (maybe) Darkrai, Heatran, Empoleon once it's outside of a Substitute, and many other Pokemon. These are still good Pokemon, and they're on teams. I know I named mostly Pokemon that are weak to Mach Punch, but even those that are faster and are neutral to the attack likely won't enjoy it after being battered up. Gengar, Starmie? Yeah, okay, see it. That still doesn't degrade Roobushin's point, since you don't see Garchomp "sweeping" them either unless it's Scarved, and then you have the scenario of Gengar having Choice Scarf.

Sorry if I sound verbose, but my main point is that Roobushin sweeping is not exactly impossible, even behind some of the better built teams. Sweepers don't sweep on their own anyway; it requires teammates helping them out with the sweeper doing minor to nothing while waiting for key threats to being removed, then finding the right time to switch in. So long as the Pokemon doesn't resist or is immune to Fighting and it's a Physical Pokemon, chances are Roobushin can start setting up from there. It all depends on the situation. Even Garchomp needs key threats removed to sweep, and just like Roobushin it is susceptible to a revenge kill from faster Pokemon. The phrase "Pokemon X beats Pokemon Y", so to speak. And I'm not saying Roobushin sweeps better than Garchomp nor is it a sweeper so to speak. It is a tank that can heal itself with the opponent, then put the opponent under major pressure if they don't have key threats alive.
BTW That usage list means very little, and I don't expect Roobushin to be top 5 or even top 20 in BW OU. Okay, maybe top 20 due to it's ability to check TTar, who will always be a threat.
Like I am echoing, it all depends on the metagame flow. Will it be Top 5 forever? No, I doubt it will be so to speak. That does not mean that it is something to just toss aside, since now is the present and you're shooting too far in the future where we don't know what exactly will happen. DPP had its occasional shifts much like ADV had some of its shifts. The Top 5 and Top 10 fluctuated in DPP, and it likely could in B/W. Who knows really.

Predicting it out of the Top 20 might be a little too far below the standards. I doubt Doryuuzu and Tyranitar are ever going to die down unless they're banned for some apparent reason, and I don't see Terakion plummeting to the UU tier anytime soon. Balloon Terakion is also cool with Doryuuzu not being able to kill it in one shot and Terakion getting a free Rock Polish. Thing is, we're way too early in the metagame, and at best we're making predictions and pure theorymonning. That's all I'm stressing I guess.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Roobushin certainly gets it's share of KO's, but any team that is built considering it to be the threat that it is can handle it. My point is that Roobushin is manageable.

As I said before, I think Sub Punch is it's best set. Drain Punch can work if your opponent plays into your hands.

I think there are better Doryuzu revengers/counters, like Balloon Zone, but I agree that it's hard to find a better T-Tar counter. We'll see how this guy ends up once things settle down.

breh

強いだね
Well...

Name: Trick Room
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Hammer Arm
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Mach Punch
ability: Guts
item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
nature: Brave

Works very well IMO... very few shanderaas seem to expect EQ on the switch. It has nice bulk as well as power. Sorry about the moves being out of order.. Anyway Quakedge + Hammer arm has nice neutral coverage; most resistors of Hammer arm are hit SE by its other moves or are too frail to live, notable exceptions being Scizor (neutral hammer arm), Burungeru, and most Psychic types that can take a hit (Rankurusu, Latios). Most Bronzong I see don't carry high-power attacking moves (basically EQ and the weakest gyro ball in existence; sometimes explosion).

Priority is valuable and helps the team deal with fast threats when TR is down; I pair it with Scizor for two priority moves.

SJCrew

Because neither of those pokemon have any defenses, and if they do it means they don't have the Atk stat to hurt anything. Breloom is also played completely differently with Spore and access to other competitively viable moves besides Mach Punch.
Uh, Breloom RESISTS Earthquake and can come in on predicted Swords Dances and Rock Slides. What's he really afraid of, Return? X-Scissor? And unlike Roopushin, he can OHKO Doryuuzu at full health with Mach Punch. Matter of fact Breloom is an outright COUNTER to Doryuuzu, yet it's not used quite as often. That right there invalidates Charlemagnes argument that Roopushin maintains high usage due solely to checking Doryuuzu. If Roopushin weren't a really good Pokemon under its own merits, it would command nearly as much usage as it does.

And all of this crap about usage not mattering at an early stage is a misapplication of an even bigger argument: it's self-evident that we can't apply this to any historic context or a larger scale analysis of metagame trends because we haven't reached that point. What we can discuss is what's happening now. Out of over 150,000 battles, Roopushin is being used on 14% of teams.

"It's a new Pokemon and everyone likes new Pokemon" is a bad argument and doesn't accurately reflect on why it's being used so much at an early stage in the metagame. About as much as we can conclude from the data we have is that Roopushin is proving itself to be really effective so far. If it were a complete liability otherwise, it would remain as obscure as Pokemon like Mamoswine or Porygon 2 did all throughout D/P, even with their ability to check top-level threats.

This is my problem with this thread: everyone is making up these ridiculous situations that will never happen, and then saying "look how much damage it can do!" How are you going to come into Garchomp, get a Bulk Up, then hit it three times before it kills you? Even if it did, you're easy pickings for the next pokemon to come in. How are people going to get a Bulk Up and hit Hippowdon 3 times to kill it before it uses Roar?
Strawman through and through.

For one, my example was intended to accurately portray how much power Roopushin boasts with a relatively weak move on a very bulky sweeper, proving that even with the power loss, a Careful nature is a viable option for him.

Second, why the hell would you switch Roopushin into Garchomp? It has no tools whatsoever to pose and adequate threat to it on the switch-in, or even on the revenge. Here's more accurate scenario: Roopushin switches in on Nattorei and due to a lack of better responses or a fairly weakened team, he's forced to send Garchomp in for an Outrage or, God forbid, Draco Meteor, to deal as much damage as possible to Roopushin so that it can be revenged effectively later.

And let's keep in mind that neither Garchomp nor Roopushin were intended to be effective responses to one another in either scenario. The only thing being put to test in my original example was a minimum Att Roopushin being enough to break Garchomp's trademark better-than-Swampert bulk.

That right there invalidates Charlemagnes argument that Roopushin maintains high usage due solely to checking Doryuuzu.

"It's a new Pokemon and everyone likes new Pokemon" is a bad argument and doesn't accurately reflect on why it's being used so much at an early stage in the metagame.
Use my words please. I never said that was the only reason, as though it sucked otherwise.

Doryuzu being popular, and Roobushin being a new powerful Pokemon are most certainly reasons for it being at the top of that flawed list. Are they the only reasons it's popular? No. Does that dubious list mean Roopushin will a top 5 BW OU Pokemon? Hell no. It's too early to tell.

And Careful Roobushin sucks, I might add. No need to resort to a neutral Attack nature to take Special Attacks. It makes Roobushin far less threatening, especially to Taunters and Phazers. Especially using weak-ass Drain Punch.

SJCrew

Use my words please.
ok

Let's not kid ourselves; Roobushin's popularity is a direct result of Doryuuzu's
And I'm telling you he's a top Pokemon atm because he's really just that good. Are we on the same page here?

Btw, that quote I used earlier was referring to jr, not you.

Doryuzu being popular, and Roobushin being a new powerful Pokemon are most certainly reasons for it being at the top of that flawed list.
There is nothing flawed about what people are using right now. The problem is with your analyses; namely, you guys keep looking into the future when we aren't even there yet.

We know Doryuuzu is really effective sweeper and thats why it's maintaining top usage. Same thing with Ditto and Shandera. We can apply this same logic to a Pokemon like Roopushin, who is also proving himself to be very effective during the metagame's early stages, just for having such power and longevity, whose uses includes threatening the currently top most use sweeper in both of our main metagames.

He's top 5 in Wifi, he's top 5 in DW, and between both, we're breaking 200,000 battles total. As far as I'm concerned, Gen 5 has had its metagame cherry broken and we can now start engaging in discussions like this about what is happening and what Pokemon/strategies are most effective right now. It's not that deep, guys.

Perhaps "direct result" was too strongly worded. It is nevertheless a result.

The list is skewed, and doesn't offer much more than use percentages, which in the end don't mean much. Something of a popularity poll.

You contradict yourself. Don't discuss the future, but consider how great Pokemon X performs in the currently non-existent metagame?

Discussing how a Pokemon will function in the metagame is perfectly reasonable. If I'm not mistaken, it's the purpose of these threads. If you want to talk about your Roobushin sweep from earlier today, write a war story.

SJCrew

The list is skewed, and doesn't offer much more than use percentages, which in the end don't mean much. Something of a popularity poll.

You contradict yourself. Don't discuss the future, but consider how great Pokemon X performs in the currently non-existent metagame?
Bullshit. Keep reading to find out why.

Wikipedia said:
Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game.
Prediction. Figuring out what other players are doing and responding to it. Using the most effective strategies possible in a standard environment.

We're already playing Gen 5 and forming strategies based on what's working so far and what we perceive as threats. If you're aware that Doryuuzu is a top threat and that Roopushin is the preferred choice on many teams for checking said threat (in addition to functioning as a top threat himself), then we already have a functioning metagame. It's developing, but more importantly, it exists.

You keep trying to worm around obvious data that supports the idea of Roopushin being far more valuable outside of checking Doryuuzu. The best Doryuuzu checks should be taking Roopushin's spot, yet they're losing out by a long shot. You haven't come up with a single explanation as to why. Where are your rebuttals? Where is your supporting evidence? You're not doing a thing but wasting time on minor technicalities and bold, overgeneralized statements, such as the one you made in the beginning:

Let's not kid ourselves; Roobushin's popularity is a direct result of Doryuuzu's
Is Roopushin really "the ultimate Doryuuzu check" or is it a top-level Gen 5 threat that just so happens to function as a moderately decent check to Doryuuzu?

Bullshit. Keep reading to find out why.

Prediction. Figuring out what other players are doing and responding to it. Using the most effective strategies possible in a standard environment.

We're already playing Gen 5 and forming strategies based on what's working so far and what we perceive as threats. If you're aware that Doryuuzu is a top threat and that Roopushin is the preferred choice on many teams for checking said threat (in addition to functioning as a top threat himself), then we already have a functioning metagame. It's developing, but more importantly, it exists.

You keep trying to worm around obvious data that supports the idea of Roopushin being far more valuable outside of checking Doryuuzu. The best Doryuuzu checks should be taking Roopushin's spot, yet they're losing out by a long shot. You haven't come up with a single explanation as to why. Where are your rebuttals? Where is your supporting evidence? You're not doing a thing but wasting time on minor technicalities and bold, overgeneralized statements, such as the one you made in the beginning:

Is Roopushin really "the ultimate Doryuuzu check" or is it a top-level Gen 5 threat that just so happens to function as a moderately decent check to Doryuuzu?
Yet you cannot explain why certain Pokemon are so oddly out of place on the list. Hmm...

A forming metagame is to a metagame as embryo is to an adult. The components are there, but in no way does it exist in any concrete manner. There are many sets on many Pokemon that have yet to be developed. Things are looking good for Roobushin, but that could change. I'll say again, the list is flawed.

You're delirious. I've said many times that Roobushin is a solid all around Pokemon. You said that it sweeps solid teams, and has no checks outside of a powerful stab Psychic. That is false. It has more reliable checks than I care to list.

Doryuzu's presence certainly helps Roobushin's popularity a lot. So does Nattatories. You're repeating yourself now. It is a good Pokemon that also checks Doryuzu, which contributes to it's popularity; leave it at that.

I think Careful with no Attack EVs is overcompensating a little. Adamant suffices and it needs enough SpD and HP EVs to survive a scarf-Shandera Overheat, who it can KO back with Stone Edge or Payback after a Bulk Up. Anyone know what those EVs would be exactly?

The best pokemon to switch Roopushin into is something like Natorrei or Burunkeru. Burunkeru if you run Guts at least. You Bulk Up, it WoW or Boil Water and you hopefully get burned. Thata lone is all you really need. Bulk Up twice if you can afford it. Afterwards you are pretty much set. Roopushin's biggest fears are Roar/Whirlwind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)