Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All "Help me find my SID" requests are supposed to go in the Simple Questions Simple Requests thread.

They'll be much better versed in finding them there too.

@Misdreavus:

I did calibrate, but it was just Frame 1 as you'd expect (i.e. the one straight after the last call you make).

To my understanding, the calibrated seconds + delay is just a time that it takes to start up your game. This wouldn't change. The equation to create the seed uses both delay and year (among other things) and you can hit the same seed at a lower delay if you raise the year.

For example you have (and I'm making these numbers up)
Seed, Year, Delay
A12D3B99, 2010, 607
A12D3B99, 2009, 608
If that is true then this poses a problem, because I changed the dates around on my DS so much since today (10+ times), and I have no idea what my target frame is now.

But I don't get it. The spreads I always use have a delay of 639, I don't see how changing my DS clock changes the seed's delay. And if it does, how do I figure out what that delay is now if I didn't keep track of how many times I increased and decreased the year?

For the record, has it been proven that non-shiny wondercard pokemon can never be shiny even if you abuse for the Trainer ID of the wondercard poke? I was wondering that if I abused for the trainer ID of Mew, I could try to get a shiny one....

Also, I noticed that RNG reporter does not list PIDs for wondercard spreads. Does that have anything to do with why non-shiny wondercards can never be shiny?

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the record, has it been proven that non-shiny wondercard pokemon can never be shiny even if you abuse for the Trainer ID of the wondercard poke? I was wondering that if I abused for the trainer ID of Mew, I could try to get a shiny one....

Also, I noticed that RNG reporter does not list PIDs for wondercard spreads. Does that have anything to do with why non-shiny wondercards can never be shiny?
If a gift pokemon from the PokeMart does not have a set PID, there is a shiny check. IIRC, there's one for Wondercard Pokemon, and one for Manaphy. If you abuse the IDs, all you are able to do is rename them at the name rater.

Black and White also have a shiny check on Wondercard Pokemon. Which is good to know cuz there's gonna be those OMG I GOT SHINY (XXXXX) WHAT CAN I TRADE FOR THIS RARE THING?

If that is true then this poses a problem, because I changed the dates around on my DS so much since today (10+ times), and I have no idea what my target frame is now.

But I don't get it. The spreads I always use have a delay of 639, I don't see how changing my DS clock changes the seed's delay. And if it does, how do I figure out what that delay is now if I didn't keep track of how many times I increased and decreased the year?
Changing the year changes the delay +/- 1 depending in the direction you changed it. If you open seed to time and change your year, you can see which way it goes. I don't remember exactly right now.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It has nothing to do with the frame. Only the target delay.

The target delay increases for that seed by one for every year decreased.
The target delay decreases for that seed by one for every year increased.

They balance out.

Just put it back on the normal year and you'll be fine. At least until 2011.

If a gift pokemon from the PokeMart does not have a set PID, there is a shiny check. IIRC, there's one for Wondercard Pokemon, and one for Manaphy. If you abuse the IDs, all you are able to do is rename them at the name rater.

Black and White also have a shiny check on Wondercard Pokemon. Which is good to know cuz there's gonna be those OMG I GOT SHINY (XXXXX) WHAT CAN I TRADE FOR THIS RARE THING?

Changing the year changes the delay +/- 1 depending in the direction you changed it. If you open seed to time and change your year, you can see which way it goes. I don't remember exactly right now.
Yes, but the calibrated delay or target delay (my normal calibrated is 501, my normal target is 639)?

Toast: Oh ok, really? Because sometimes I would up the year by 1, then select "Ok", but sometimes I'd increase the year by 5, then select "Ok". It just seems like if I jump 5 years at once, then select "Ok", the target delay only goes down by 1 and not 5.

OK, haven't RNGed anything in 4 months. Noob question: is there a way to do a wild catch with a Method 1 -only- spread? This is Diamond btw.

Also, can someone give me the link for HGSS RNG for dummies?? Like the basics for wild catches and breeding. Thanks again

.com

Grumpy old man
@Ragnar
Yeah, it doesn't matter how many times you've changed the year per se, more what year you're presently on. So if you can hit a seed in 2010, which has a delay of 639, then to hit the SAME seed in 2011, you would need to hit a delay of 638.
In 2049 you would need to hit a delay of 600. Etc.

@locoghoul
Are you sure your spread is method 1 only? Have you checked in RNG reporter for Method J pokes with that spread and a syncher at the front of your party. Wild pokes aren't generated by Method 1, and so if it doesn't appear with any other method I'm afraid you can't hit it.

@leecher
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
Firstly, what game are you on (Emerald, or Gen IV)? I believe Emerald's frames advance constantly over time, whereas Gen IV they advance when you do certain in game activities (Like Elm calls, or listening to the radio, etc.).

Smogon PRNG Help thread said:
When using Sweet Scent to advance the frame, your final frame will be the Method 1 frame of the Pokemon you catch (listed as "Actual" in RNG Reporter) + 6. Sweet Scent advances by 1 whenever you're on a bike, but having a Pokemon follow you seems to make this advance inconsistent.
Hi guys,

I'm about to do my first wild catch on Heartgold in the Grass, I just want to make sure I understand this so I don't miss my frame.

I think wild Pokemon are Method K, so I was going to try and catch a Bold Pokemon using a Bold Synchronizer. The Method K frame is 442. The 'Actual' frame is 453. I hopped on my bike to hopefully keep that part in check, so can someone help me with what frame I need to stop advancing the RNG at?

Even if I am shooting for an 'Actual' frame, do I still need a synchronizer? Is the advancement of 1 in addition to the advance of 6?

For reference here is my seed: b80a068f

If anyone could explain how this works using a Sweet Scenter that would be great. Thanks :)

the "actual frame" is the Main frame. i dont know much about SS sweet scent but i do know that a syncher is necessery unless Method K ( no synch ) witch is obviously a higher frame

.com

Grumpy old man
Hey, using sweet scent apparently changes from game to game.
I know on my game using SS in the grass / cave will increase my frame by 2, and in water by 3.
So in your example I would need to make the call for the 440th Elm call, and then use Sweet Scent without unpausing the game.

HOWEVER, I've been told some games only increase it by 1. I would suggest doing one with a way lower seed, and seeing if yours increases it by 1 or 2 (no syncher).
To do this, check your seed, and then use sweet scent. If it's the frame 10 one that you catch, yours only advances by 1, if it's the frame 11 one, yours advances by 2.

Whichever you find yours does, your copy of the game should ALWAYS increase that much, so you won't need to do this trial again.

Hey, using sweet scent apparently changes from game to game.
I know on my game using SS in the grass / cave will increase my frame by 2, and in water by 3.
So in your example I would need to make the call for the 440th Elm call, and then use Sweet Scent without unpausing the game.

HOWEVER, I've been told some games only increase it by 1. I would suggest doing one with a way lower seed, and seeing if yours increases it by 1 or 2 (no syncher).
To do this, check your seed, and then use sweet scent. If it's the frame 10 one that you catch, yours only advances by 1, if it's the frame 11 one, yours advances by 2.

Whichever you find yours does, your copy of the game should ALWAYS increase that much, so you won't need to do this trial again.
That's helpful, thank you. Do I need to worry about that 'Actual' Frame stuff or should I just lead with a Syncher and try to hit the Method K frame 442 by Sweet Scenting at either Frame 440 or 441 depending on what results I get from the above method?

the pkmn that you receive from Rowan at route 201 can be RNG'd? if yes,there are method1?
Gift pokes on gen 4 are usually method 1. Because you can't manipulate your frames, I suggest you use a seed with a very low frame and then just hope you hit it. NPC movement does advance the frames (the rival is the NPC and he's really twitchy). When I tested chimchar, he showed up either frame 3 or 4, so I was using frame 3 and 4 seeds (method 1) when I experimented with this.

.com

Grumpy old man
@Troggy
The "Actual" frame stuff is just to do with the calculation due to the syncher being at the front.
i.e. Where it would appear if you didn't have a syncher there.

But since you do have a syncher, happy days :) ignore the Actual frame jazz ;)

@Troggy
The "Actual" frame stuff is just to do with the calculation due to the syncher being at the front.
i.e. Where it would appear if you didn't have a syncher there.

But since you do have a syncher, happy days :) ignore the Actual frame jazz ;)
Oh! Brilliant. No wonder it was so confusing :pimp:

I'll be giving this a shot later today :D

Thank you all for the frame information, it's possible that I simply needed a small break from RNGing a bit, but I'll be doing the rest of the legends today. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)