Shedinja

I had more fun reading JChen and BurningMan's posts than I ever will using Shedinja in competetive battle lol. Bravo gentlemen.

BTW Claw Sharpen is the best move ever, but should only be used with Aura Sphere. Set-Up Sweeper Shedinja should always run Harden. Soft Shedinjas don't sweep. Dream World Shedinja gets Justice Heart, which outclasses Wonder Guard in every way. Put Swimming Goggles on him and he'll be so untouchable your opponent will think he doesn't even exist.

I like the troll set very much, but were all forgetting double-edge is an gen 3 tutor move, so all troll sets must be migrated and pokeshifted. Of course everyone forgot metal claw, which can raise attack and has imperfect accuracy, something worth noting for claw sharpen to boost, and metal claw has a chance to OHKO opposing shuckle after they used power trick to boost their trolls.
Don't forget a gimmick set with giga drain can work to heal life orb recoil and possibly KO Swampert (which will only stay in if carrying hpfire)

No. That set is just terrible. And for a few good reasons:
-Sandstorm kills Shedinja after 1 turn that it's been out.
-Life Gamble takes only 1 HP from the opponent when Shedinja uses it
-Double Edge and Life Orb recoil kill Shedinja as well.
-Rest and Substitute are useless on Shedinja. So is Troll
-Bold is a bad nature on Shedinja; it's pointless to take advantage of defenses if it's got only 1 HP. Adamant is the way to go.
-It's pointless to invest in HP or defenses if Shedinja has only 1 of it. The only places where EVs can be put viably on Shedinja is on Attack and Speed.
oh, you must be new here!

Not that this post is contributing much, but we all get the joke sets. Yes they were funny, but I don't need to read 10 people telling me that. Is there any way we could focus on what Shedinja can and will do in this metagame instead of reminding everyone else how good that joke set was?

oh, you must be new here!
Been here for nearly 2 months now.
Not that this post is contributing much, but we all get the joke sets. Yes they were funny, but I don't need to read 10 people telling me that. Is there any way we could focus on what Shedinja can and will do in this metagame instead of reminding everyone else how good that joke set was?
I'll suggest my own Baton Pass set here:
-Claw Sharpen
-Baton Pass
-X-Scissor
-Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch
Nature: Adamant
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe

As I said earlier in this thread, Claw Sharpen is the only thing Shedinja can actually Baton Pass. Pokemon with Hustle or who rely on strong, but inaccurate moves can benefit from this particular Shedinja.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't use Shedinja as a straight-up Baton Passer, since so many others outclass him in that regard. Rather, Claw Sharpen can be used to boost its attack and sweep and Baton Pass allows it to be able to scout for counters before actually sweeping. Shedinja's low speed, with no way of boosting it, means it's not going to work very well if it tries to just Baton Pass Claw Sharpens.

Claw Sharpen is perhaps the shittiest stat-up move outside of Meditate. Do NOT use it over SD EVER. After +1 accuracy, pretty much every move you're using will hit, and every other boost is absolutely useless

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I know that. But Shedinja can't learn Swords Dance and Baton Pass together, so Claw Sharpen is the best that it can do to stat up while being able to scout for counters.

Claw Sharpen is perhaps the shittiest stat-up move outside of Meditate. Do NOT use it over SD EVER. After +1 accuracy, pretty much every move you're using will hit, and every other boost is absolutely useless
It still stands that one SD is pointless if the move doesn't hit. A 1.5 boost for an inaccurate attack is by no means bad, and can carry you much further if you're chucking around Stone Edges.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
On a slightly serious note here, I've been using shedinja somewhat. Provided you keep the weather in your favor and hazards off the field, shedinja is the perfect pivot switch pokemon. With team preview in Gen V, he just became possible to use.

He's also a perfectly viable spin blocker. What can Starmie possibly do to shedinja? Trick? It can't spin nor can it harm with any attack it would normally carry. It never carries power gem. Forry can't harm shedinja either. Unfortunately, the likes of Hitmontop and Donphan are another story, but most Donphan carry ice shard over stone edge, so you're fine there.

Another thing about shedinja is that he is the perfect bait. If anything at all that isn't a weather user decides to switch in to shedinja, then it can kill shedinja. This lets you know a little bit about your opponent's pokemon's movesets. If a Vaporeon switches in to shedinja, then its probably carrying toxic. Hell, this can even tell you what type of hidden power your opponent may be carrying if they aren't actually carrying toxic. I once had a lightning rod Zapdos switch in on my shedinja. Knowing it didn't have Heat Wave, I naturally switched out anyway. Zapdos actually used Ancient Power on me...

Shedinja's weaknesses can work to your advantage, if only for making your opponent easier to predict. A good player isn't going to let shedinja run rampant if they can dispose of him. If they don't want to reveal a moveset, then they'll switch in a hazard user (usually Skarm or Swampert), set up, and try to phase you.

After eliminating pokemon who can kill shedinja, shedinja can show his value late, late game. Even if your opponent is trying to play to the point where they can keep at least one shedinja killer around if your shedinja is still alive, I don't think they'll constantly like switching it in to several attacks repeatedly when you bait with your shedinja over and over again. Besides, it's shedinja. Since when does anyone deliberately pack counters?

Personally, I run Sword's Dance, Shadow Sneak, Will-o-wisp, and X-scissor. Adamant nature and 252/252 in Atk and speed. Not saying that shedinja is invincible and has no problems, but he isn't a total joke. How often do you see Flareon boldly switching in on Kingdra and forcing them out?

Shedinja @life orb/flame orb/toxic orb
252hp/252 def/4spdef Bold
Sandstorm
Life gamble(or death gambit, whatever the translation is)
Double Edge
Substitute/Troll/Rest

best set imo.

edit:added some other item choices
you forgot to add black sludge to the item choice.
sticky barb could be usefull but I prefer black sludge^^

On a slightly serious note here, I've been using shedinja somewhat. Provided you keep the weather in your favor and hazards off the field, shedinja is the perfect pivot switch pokemon. With team preview in Gen V, he just became possible to use.

He's also a perfectly viable spin blocker. What can Starmie possibly do to shedinja? Trick? It can't spin nor can it harm with any attack it would normally carry. It never carries power gem. Forry can't harm shedinja either. Unfortunately, the likes of Hitmontop and Donphan are another story, but most Donphan carry ice shard over stone edge, so you're fine there.

Another thing about shedinja is that he is the perfect bait. If anything at all that isn't a weather user decides to switch in to shedinja, then it can kill shedinja. This lets you know a little bit about your opponent's pokemon's movesets. If a Vaporeon switches in to shedinja, then its probably carrying toxic. Hell, this can even tell you what type of hidden power your opponent may be carrying if they aren't actually carrying toxic. I once had a lightning rod Zapdos switch in on my shedinja. Knowing it didn't have Heat Wave, I naturally switched out anyway. Zapdos actually used Ancient Power on me...

Shedinja's weaknesses can work to your advantage, if only for making your opponent easier to predict. A good player isn't going to let shedinja run rampant if they can dispose of him. If they don't want to reveal a moveset, then they'll switch in a hazard user (usually Skarm or Swampert), set up, and try to phase you.

After eliminating pokemon who can kill shedinja, shedinja can show his value late, late game. Even if your opponent is trying to play to the point where they can keep at least one shedinja killer around if your shedinja is still alive, I don't think they'll constantly like switching it in to several attacks repeatedly when you bait with your shedinja over and over again. Besides, it's shedinja. Since when does anyone deliberately pack counters?

Personally, I run Sword's Dance, Shadow Sneak, Will-o-wisp, and X-scissor. Adamant nature and 252/252 in Atk and speed. Not saying that shedinja is invincible and has no problems, but he isn't a total joke. How often do you see Flareon boldly switching in on Kingdra and forcing them out?
I've never thought about that. I only recently tried competitive and have been reading the strategy articles and reading warstories to have a better idea of competeitive battling. I have always been a firm believer that many pokes, not just the OU, BL, and high UU pokes, can shine and can do well in the right hands, just not mine because I won't lie, I'm not good at it. lol

Strangely Shedninja is Surprisingly good as a lead (except for T-tar and Hippo for obvious reasons) Since it isn't affected by Fake Out leads immune to U-turn and Volt Change and With Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch actually has decent attacking ability. I've been using a Swords Dance set as my Lead with Immense success. Though it still has a lot of problems with stall it's good nonetheless and it is wholly possible of sweeping through teams.

Shedninja @ Focus Sash Trait: Wonder Guard

EVs: 252 Atk /252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
- Sucker Punch

- Swords Dance

- Shadow Sneak

- X Scissor

If there seems to be anything wrong with my aforementioned thoughts please mention it and if the set has already been posted ignore mine.

The thing about using Shedinja is a lead is that it loses its surprise value, as every team is bound to have something that can counter it.

By showing Shedinja early on, you're making your opponent aware that they have to, say, conserve their Heatran to stop Shedinja, rather than causing them to treat their Heatran haphazardly thus causing it to faint, and then be shocked later on when they can do nothing to Sheddy.

But with 5th Gen team preview means that they already know you have a Shedninja so most likely they'll set up hazards (if they wouldn't usually do it) and prevent it as a Lead it can at least serve as a mild to strong threat.

I was under the impression that Shedinja can't pass SD, because it can't learn it by TM and only gets one move from Ninjask.
Yup, that's pretty much it. Same goes for Agilitity too. Sheddy basically only gets the moves Ninjask learns at one level - so BP+SD is impossible.

Can a Zoroark + Shedinja combo work? We already know that Shedinja walls many popular sweepers like Kerudio, Garchomp, Latios and practically everything on Rain teams bar Kabutops. If Zoroark is able to remove something that can hit Shedinja for SE, there's a high chance that Shedinja can sweep.

Can a Zoroark + Shedinja combo work? We already know that Shedinja walls many popular sweepers like Kerudio, Garchomp, Latios and practically everything on Rain teams bar Kabutops. If Zoroark is able to remove something that can hit Shedinja for SE, there's a high chance that Shedinja can sweep.
Well the team preview would devalue this somewhat as as soon as Sheddy and Zoro are seen the opponent will expect you to be copying it. However you could use this to double bluff to your advantage.

My main issue I suppose is that aside from the teams mentioned above like rain most players will pack moves on several pokes to beat Sheddy, so even if you manage to get Zoro to kill one, it's no guarantee of him working perfectly. It is probably a good idea to improve Sheddy's viability, however.

yes "sweep"..................................................................

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I would say team preview helps shedinja more than it hurts him, because you get to see pokemon on your opponent's team that he probably can't handle. Currently, I play shedinja on a rain dance team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)