Crobat (Update)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Like the above posters have mentioned, I’m not too happy about Nasty Plot Crobat even though it has relatively good Speed and usable Special Attack. Works once in a while and is decent in those instances, but it doesn’t deserve a spot at times due to lacking raw power and having to worry about coverage and Choice Scarf killers (Rotom-A ugh). I also find myself disliking Tyranitar in Sandstorm when using Nasty Plot Crobat, and using Hidden Power Fighting gives me the doubts against other foes. Yes, teammates, but this thing requires more support than a usual set up sweeper should, in my experience (I tried out Skarmory and Roserade, but….they’re not my cup of tea). Even the combination of Starmie and Swampert gives me hell when setting up hazards, and Swampert can potentially survive a usual Nasty Plot hit in one sitting. As usual, people are going to switch Heatran into this thing. Not a good thing when it's so popular right now.

Stall Breaker works fine, though I only tried it out for a few battles with half of the teams I faced stall teams. Brave Bird is certainly powerful in comparison to U-Turn, though. Choice Band Crobat’s insane, enough said.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hmm, I think Roost should get a slash in the slot with heatwave on the NP set. What is heatwave needed for? Rotom is the only big one that I can think of. You can set up on skarmory / forretress (unless you are trying to lure them and OHKO rather then sweep) and kill them with hp fight eventually. I suppose other crobats but in general roost would be more helpful then hitting another crobat probably. I'm not saying that it's better than heatwave but I think it deserves a slash.

Oh, just realised everyone doesn't like NP bat. I'm not sure why we wouldn't want it up there though since it demolishes crobat's usual counters, so if you rely on tyranitar or magnezone for crobat for example, you could be screwed. I think that alone, should warrant putting NP up there, surely it's not too hard to get a boost coming in on shaymin/celebi/taunt fodder etc.?
EDIT: Just remembered Jirachi and Scizor which are pretty big. In general heatwave is better but I stand by the notion that you can survive without it and run roost (so I still think it should get a slash).

@Setsuna.
+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 4 hp Gyarados: 76.8% - 90.7%
+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 4 hp Gyarados: 73.1% - 86.2%
+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 252 hp (impish) Gyarados: 64.7% - 76.4%
I wouldn't say gyarados is taking it that well....

+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 252 hp Vaporeon: 55.1% - 65.2%
Vaporeon in return with Hp Electric: 42.4% - 50.2%.
Trying to wish is a risky game as crobat can NP again or roost on the protect or simply attack if you don't protect. Admittedly, after SR, SS and LO crobat is probably dead after this encounter but I'd take this 1v1 any day on an offensive team.

+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 4hp Suicune: 66.1% - 78.1%
Works as a check but it's not shrugging it off by any means.
+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs 252hp Suicune: 55.9% - 66.1%
Defensive Suicune's best counterattack, Ice Beam: 48.2% - 57.2%
Crobat beats the defensive Suicunes.

Tentacruel wins but tentacruel is hardly common, not gonna bother calcing that
Swampert wins too: +2 LO Sludge Bomb doing 32.7% - 38.4% to Mix pert. Does 46.3% - 54.7% back with Ice Beam.

@Accidental Greed, Offensive Heatran's are going to get demolised:
+2 LO HP Fight vs 4hp naive tran: 86.7% - 102.2%
+2 LO HP Fight vs 4hp neutral nature tran: 77.4% - 91.6%

Looks pretty decent to me?

Also, shall I suggest mentioning Hypnosis?
I mean, don't forget that Crobat is the fastest Hypnosis user, and he can mess some counters with it.

In the NP set, u could also add Air Slash as an option over Sludge Bomb, as it's 30% chance of making the opponent flinch is rather interesting, plus it's an almost always 0HKO on Infernape.

With that said, I'm outta here.
See ya!

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love the Utility Bat set, I have used it to tear down opposing Blissey and Skarm.

Nasty Plot I have also tested, and I really dislike it. It does not allow for the power or bulk of other NPers such as Togekiss.

Choice Band is just fun to use. He gets some power without setup an is harder to kill because he takes less attacks and you are less hesitant to switch out then with NP.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Risin' up, back on the streets

Did my time, took my chances
Or
Went the distance now I'm back on my feet
Approved (1/3)
Just a man and his will to survive

While the Calcs Pana provided didn't sway me because Utility/CB can do just as much- if not more with with two consecutive Superfangs/Brave Birds, getting past Tyranitar and Heatran while potentially intiating a sweep is a good point and is enough for me to approve of the set.

Approved (3/3)

and good song lol

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Grammar edits will be in red.
Prose edits will be in blue.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/crobat

probat.

[Overview]
<p>Crobat is one of the fastest non-Uber Pokemon in existence, behind only to Electrode and Ninjask while tied with Jolteon and Aerodactyl. On top of this, its other stats may not be astounding, but they are far from mediocrity, enabling it to use a variety of tactics to beat your opponent. From using its high Attack stat and decent movepool to whittle down the opponent to abusing Nasty Plot and its moderate Special Attack in order to sweep, or just using its support movepool and small bulk to cripple the foe's team, there's always a job for Crobat.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility Bat
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Super Fang
move 4: Brave Bird / U-turn
item: Leftovers
nature: Jolly
evs: 232 HP / 56 Def / 76 SpD / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>By far Crobat's most effective set, the combination of high Speed, Roost and Taunt absolutely demolishes stall teams. Not only are they unable to heal themselves while Crobat tears away at 50% of their health with Super Fang, but they are also unable to actually hurt Crobat due to its good bulk and Roost. It can even serve as a decent check to non-stall teams as well; neither will Swords Dance Infernape's Close Combat won't 2HKO nor will Heatran's Fire Blast OHKO. Consquently, Crobat can switch into physically based Infernape and Heatran and stall out Close Combats and Fire Blasts with Roost.</p>

If you dislike the change on what this set can do against Heatran, then it would be better to move it around elsewhere since the mention of Heatran interrupts the flow of how Crobat can deal with Infernape.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Crobat appreciates Toxic Spikes, for they help it take down opposing defensive Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Suicune, and Blissey with greater ease. Brave Bird is especially helpful for hastening the death of these Pokemon, as standard Vaporeon takes roughly 30% and Blissey takes about 34%, meaning Crobat can take them down after 2 Super Fangs. An alternate EV spread of 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spe can be used as this gives more power on Brave Bird to KO other threats to your team (?)</p>

No mention of why to use U-Turn in this analysis. Your alternate EV Spread does not give any attack EVs, so how does this make Brave Bird stronger?

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Heat Wave / Roost
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While Crobat appears to have a subpar Special Attack stat, it is the fastest user of Nasty Plot, which boosts its Special Attack to the point of being able to OHKO and 2HKO a myriad of common threats with the coverage that its Special movepool provides. Despite being weak to Stealth Rock, Life Orb is used to give Crobat all the power it can get, since its Special Attack is its weaker offensive stat. With Hidden Power Fighting, Heat Wave and Sludge Bomb, Crobat hits nearly everything in OU for neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Crobat is extremely frail, and thus should avoid Sandstorm unless you are attempting to kill Tyranitar with Hidden Power Fighting. Crobat has the potential to score OHKOs on most Pokemon, but it relies on Stealth Rock and Spikes support. Without entry hazards, it will barely miss the OHKO on notable threats such as Gyarados, Tyranitar, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ground hits Heatran and Magnezone harder than Hidden Power Fighting while still maintaining super-effective coverage on Tyranitar, but +2 Hidden Power Ground fails to OHKO Tyranitar while an unboosted Heat Wave KOs Choice Scarf Magnezone most of the time and +2 Hidden Power Fighting KOs Heatran with at least two layers of Spikes. Roost is also an option over Heat Wave to increase Crobat's longevity, since Crobat is losing HP from residual damage like Sandstorm and LO Recoil nearly every turn.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Cross Poison
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Its high Speed and passable Attack makes Crobat a viable Choice Band candidate. Its typing allows it to switch in easily on a variety of threats, like the widespread Earthquake and Close Combat, and retaliate with a strong move that usually hits for super effective damage. Crobat makes a particularly good lead, since Inner Focus means it cannot be stopped by Fake Out, and many common leads such as Infernape and Azelf are KOed by Brave Bird and Pursuit respectively.</p>

<p>Choice Band Crobat's damage output doesn't compare with that of other Choice Band users (or Choice Scarf users). However, like the Utility set, Crobat focuses on weathering the opponent's team before letting something else clean up -- Crobat can't score OHKOs, but it can turn many 2HKOs and 3HKOs into OHKOs for its teammates. As a result, U-turn is one of your more usable options, since Crobat is one of the fastest existing users of it, as you can switch in something that can not only clean up a ruined team, but also take little damage from the Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves aimed at Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Since it supports the team through direct damage as opposed to Taunt or Toxic, it has more EVs focused into power as opposed to bulk. Because of this, finding a good switch-in to Crobat's checks is a good idea. Magnezone is a great choice since it traps and kills the Steel-types that wall Crobatand can switch in on the Psychic-, Electric-, Ice-, and Rock- type attacks aimed at Crobat. Likewise, Crobat easily switches in on Magnezone's Ground- and Fighting-Type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Since Crobat lacks recovery, it is vital that Stealth Rock is removed from play. Otherwise without Wish support, Crobat cannot switch in more than 4 times, severely hampering its usefulness. Taunt or Super Fang are viable options over Cross Poison, which lacks coverage, or Pursuit,which lacks power. Taunt prevents slower leads such as Swampert and Bronzong from setting up entry hazards, letting you bring in a sweeper at full health and start pounding down on the foe. Super Fang is useful when facing bulkier teams; cutting 50% of their remaining health not only makes it easier to KO thembut also gives momentum to switch in a teammate for free while they heal the damage off.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Crobat is one of those Pokemon that views entry hazards as both a necessity and a deterrent. Stealth Rock punishes Crobat for its Rock weakness. Combined with its frailty without investment, Crobat's longevity is severely hindered. On the other hand, if using the Choice Band/Nasty Plot attacker, Spikes will be a godsend by assisting it scoring those OHKOs Crobat misses narrowly. If using the Utility Bat, Toxic Spikes will take down Pokemon such as Blissey and Swampert even faster, making it easier for your sweepers to plough through the enemy's team.</p>

<p>Magnezone and Heatran are some of Crobat's best partners, since they resist most of the types Crobat is weak to, while Crobat is immune to their x4 Ground-type weakness. They also have the ability to take out many of Crobat's common counters, such as Steel-types, Suicune and Swampert. In return, Crobat can take down or weaken the many walls that would otherwise stop Magnezone and Heatran cold. However, Blissey will stop both Nasty Plot Crobat and Explosion-less-Heatran, and Skarmory can stop Crobat if it uses any other set, although Magnezone and Heatran can KO it easily.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Crobat can run a plethora of EV spreads, due to its versatility. You can reduce the Speed investment to 144 EVs, reaching 356 Speed, outpacing +1 Tyranitar. Crobat has no benefit in speed tying with Aerodactyl or Jolteon. A spread of 104 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 136 Spe gives Crobt more bulk while still maximizing Brave Bird's power. X-Scissor may deal more damage to Celebi and other Psychic-types, but Cross Poison is usually stronger due to gaining STAB. Cross Poison followed by Pursuit will usually finish them anyway. Crobat can use Giga Drain on the Nasty Plot set, always OHKOing Swampert after a Nasty Plot while regaining some much needed health. Confuse Ray, Whirlwind, Rain Dance and Screech are all usable options for support, but there is almost always a better user of it, and Crobat has more effective tools for supporting the team.

In your Counters section, you mention Hypnosis, but you do not mention it in any of the sets nor in OC.

[COUNTERS]
<p>Zapdos and Rotom-A can wall Crobat forever; so do most Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-types too, but those suffer heavy damage from the Special Attacker. Jolteon and Aerodactyl can revenge kill it effectively, since Crobat rarely runs maximum Speed. Anything switching in, though, has to be wary of Super Fang, Taunt or Hypnosis, but generally things like Snorlax and Blissey can take on the special sweeper while Swampert, Skarmory and Heatran can stand their ground against the physical attacker.</p>

<p>The hardest thing about countering Crobat is that you don't know what set it runs until about a turn or two after it is sent out. And By then there's a chance that they've already KOed your counter. However, once you determine its set, it's easy to take down. Generally, you should take advantage of the fact that it cannot hit very hard outside of Nasty Plot, and the fact that it's actually quite frail, provided you hit it with a move that it doesn't resist.</p>

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Getting back into GP checks

GP Check [1/2]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Crobat is one of the fastest non-Uber Pokemon in existence, second only to Electrode and tying with Jolteon and Aerodactyl [Ahem NINJASK]. On top of this, its other stats, while not amazing, are far from poor, making it able enabling it to use a variety of tactics to beat your opponent, such as . From using its high Attack stat and decent movepool to whittle down the opponent, abusing Nasty Plot and its moderate Special Attack and just sweeping, or just using its support movepool and small bulk to cripple the foe's team, there's always a job for Crobat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far Crobat's move most effective set, the combination of high Speed, Roost and Taunt absolutely demolishes stall teams, as they find themselves not only unable to heal themselves while Crobat tears away at 50% of their health with Super Fang, but also unable to actually hurt Crobat due to its good bulk and Roost. It can even serve as a decent check to non-stall teams as well, since even Swords Dance Infernapep's Infernape's Close Combat [This seems pretty obvious; do you mean Fire Punch here?] won't 2HKO, nor and neither will Heatran's Fire Blast OHKO, meaning Crobat can switch into physically based Infernape and stall out its Close Combats with Roost [I don't like this - it's pretty clear Crobat can switch in as Infernape Swords Dances and scare it off, yet I can't see why you wouldn't just Brave Bird it off the bat before it potentially OHKOes with Fire Punch. And why would Infernape try to attack you with Close Combat anyway?].</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Crobat loves Toxic Spikes in play, since that helps it take down opposing defensive Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Suicune and Blissey with much more greater ease. Brave Bird is especially helpful for hastening the death of these Pokemon, as standard Vaporeon takes roughly 30% and Blissey takes about 34%, meaning Crobat can take them down after 2 Super Fangs. An alternate EV spread of 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spe can be used as this gives Brave Bird more power on Brave Bird in order to KO other threats to your team.(full stop)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Crobat appears to have a poor Special Attack stat, but it is the fastest user of Nasty Plot in the game, and with a Nasty Plot boost behind it, its Special Attack actually becomes respectable to the point of being able to OHKO/2HKO a lot of common threats. Its Special special movepool is also varied enough to give it just the coverage it needs. Despite being weak to Stealth Rock, Life Orb is used to give Crobat all the power it can get, since its Special Attack is its weaker weakest stat. With Hidden Power Fighting, Heat Wave and Sludge Bomb, Crobat is hitting nearly everything in OU for neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Crobat is extremely frail, and thus should avoid Sandstorm sandstorm unless you are attempting to kill Tyranitar with Hidden Power Fighting. Crobat can score OHKOes OHKOs on most Pokemon, but on notable threats like Gyarados, Tyranitar,(comma) and Heatran, it will miss the OHKO by only a small amount. Thus, Spikes and Stealth Rock support is extremely helpful. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran and Magnezone harder while still retaining the damage on Tyranitar, but Tyranitar isn't OHKOed by +2 Hidden Power Ground, while Choice Scarf Magnezone is KOed by unboosted Heat Wave most of the time and Heatran dies to 2 layers of Spikes and +2 Hidden Power Fighting. Roost is definitely an option over Heat Wave, since Crobat is losing HP from LO nearly every turn, so its longevity is limited.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to its high Speed and passable Attack, Crobat makes for a viable user of Choice Band. Its typing allows it to switch in easily on a variety of threats, like especially users of common attacks such as the widespread Earthquake and Close Combat, and retaliate with a strong move that usually hits for super effective damage. Crobat makes a particularly good lead, since Inner Focus means it cannot be stopped by Fake Out, and many common leads such as Infernape and Azelf are KOed by Brave Bird and Pursuit respectively.</p>

<p>When using Choice Band Crobat, it's pretty noticeable that its damage output doesn't compare with that of other Choice Band users (or even some Choice Scarf users). However, like the Utility set, Crobat should be focusing on weathering the opponent's team before letting something else clean up - Crobat can't usually score OHKOs, but it can turn many 2-3HKOs into OHKOs for others. As a result, U-turn is one of your more usable options, since Crobat is one of the fastest existing users of it, as you can switch in something that can not only clean up a ruined team, but also take little damage from the Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves aimed at Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since it supports the team through direct damage as opposed to Taunt or Toxic, it has more EVs focused into power as opposed to bulk. Because of this, finding a good switch-in to Crobat's checks is a good investment. Magnezone is a great choice since it traps and kills the Steel-types that wall Crobat, while they can each switch in on each other's weaknesses; Crobat is immune to Magnezone's Ground-type x4 weakness while Magnezone resists every single type Crobat is weak to (Psychic, Electric, Ice, Rock).</p>

<p>Since Crobat has a Choice Band and as such no recovery, it is absolutely vital that Stealth Rock is removed from play, otherwise without Wish support, Crobat is not coming in more than 4 times, thus severely cutting its usefulness. Super Fang or Taunt are good options over Cross Poison or Pursuit, as Cross Poison may benefit from STAB, but usually has poor coverage while Pursuit lacks power. Taunt can be used to stop slower leads such as Swampert and Bronzong from setting up, letting you bring in a sweeper and start pounding down on the foe, whereas Super Fang is useful versus bulkier teams, cutting 50% of their remaining health.(full stop) This not only makes it easier to KO them, but also allows you can also to switch in a sweeper or a threat for free whilst they heal the damage off.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>Crobat is one of those Pokemon that takes entry hazards as both a necessity and a deterrent. Stealth Rock will slash Crobat's longevity, and considering how frail it is without investment in the first place, that is not a good thing. On the other hand, if using the Choice Band/Nasty Plot attacker, Spikes will be a godsend for scoring those OHKOs Crobat misses narrowly. If using the Utility Bat, Toxic Spikes will take down Pokemon such as Blissey and Swampert even faster, making it easier for your sweepers to plough through.(full stop),(remove)</p>

<p>Magnezone and Heatran are some of Crobat's best partners, since they resist most of the types Crobat is weak to, while Crobat is immune to their x4 4x Ground-type weakness weaknesses. They also have the ability to take out many of Crobat's common counters, such as Steel-types, Suicune,(comma) and Swampert. In return, Crobat can take down or weaken the many walls that would otherwise stop Magnezone and Heatran cold. However, Blissey will stop both Crobat and Heatra Heatran is if Crobat is running Nasty Plot (and Heatran lacks Explosion), whereas Skarmory can stop Crobat if it uses any other set, although Magnezone and Heatran can KO it easily.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Crobat has a large variety of EV spreads it can run, due to the different things it can do. You can reduce the Speed number to 144 EVs, as this comes to 356 Speed; just enough to outpace +1 Tyranitar. Crobat has no business trying to speed Speed tie with Aerodactyl or Jolteon, so it can use 104 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 136 Spe to give more bulk while still powering Brave Bird to a its full extent. X-Scissor can be stronger against Celebi and other Psychic-types, although Cross Poison is usually stronger, and plus gets STAB. Cross Poison followed by Pursuit will usually do the job anyway. Crobat can use Giga Drain on the Nasty Plot set, since you will always OHKO Swampert after a Nasty Plot while regaining some much-needed health. Confuse Ray, Whirlwind, Rain Dance and Screech are all usable options for support, but almost always there is a better user of it out there, and Crobat has more effective tools for supporting the team.

[COUNTERS]

<p>Zapdos and Rotom-A wall it Crobat to high heaven, and most Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-types do too, but are hit hard by the Special Attacker. Jolteon and Aerodactyl can revenge kill it effectively, since Crobat rarely runs maximum Speed. Anything switching in has to be wary of Super Fang, Taunt,(comma) or Hypnosis, but generally things like Snorlax and Blissey can take on the special sweeper while Swampert, Skarmory and Heatran do well against the physical attacker.</p>

<p>The hardest thing about countering Crobat is that you don't know what set it runs is running until about a turn or two after it is sent out. And by then there's a chance that they've already KOed your counter. However, once you determine its set, it's easy to take down. Generally, you should take advantage of the fact that it cannot hit very hard outside of Nasty Plot, and the fact that it's actually quite frail provided you hit it with a move that it doesn't resist.</p>

One thing I noticed is that you don't mention Hypnosis at all, even in Optional Changes, despite it appearing in the counters section. I know it's illegal with BB (or something gay like that), but I still feel it should be mentioned, if only for those people who aren't aware of the egg difficulties.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[Overview]
<p>Crobat is one of the fastest non-Uber Pokemon in existence, losing only to Electrode and Ninjask, and tying with Jolteon and Aerodactyl. On top of this, its other stats, while not amazing, are far from poor, enabling it to utilize a variety of tactics to beat your opponent. From using its high Attack stat and decent movepool to whittle down the opponent, abusing Nasty Plot and its moderate Special Attack and simply sweeping, or using its support movepool and moderate bulk to cripple the foe's team, Crobat will always be able to successfully fulfill its role on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>By far Crobat's most effective set. The combination of high Speed, Roost, and Taunt absolutely demolishes stall teams, as they find themselves not only unable to heal themselves while Crobat tears away at 50% of their health with Super Fang, but also unable to actually hurt Crobat due to its good bulk and Roost. Crobat can even serve as a decent check to offensive teams as well, since even Swords Dance Infernape's Close Combat or Fire Punch won't 2HKO, meaning Crobat can switch into physically based Infernape and stall out Close Combat's PP with Roost, or just Brave Bird for the KO.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Crobat loves Toxic Spikes in play, since that helps it take down opposing defensive Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Suicune, and Blissey with greater ease. Brave Bird is especially helpful for hastening the death of the aforementioned Pokemon, as standard Vaporeon takes roughly 30% and Blissey takes about 34%, meaning Crobat can take them down after 2 Super Fangs. An alternate EV spread of 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spe can be used as this gives Brave Bird more power in order to KO other threats to your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Crobat appears to have a poor Special Attack stat, but it is the fastest user of Nasty Plot in the game, and with a Nasty Plot boost behind it, its Special Attack actually becomes respectable to the point where Crobat is able to OHKO/2HKO a lot of common threats. Its special movepool is also varied enough to give it just the coverage it needs. Despite being weak to Stealth Rock, Life Orb is used to give Crobat all the power it can get since its Special Attack is its weakest stat. With Hidden Power Fighting, Heat Wave, and Sludge Bomb, Crobat is capable of hitting nearly everything in OU for neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Crobat is extremely frail, and thus should avoid sandstorm unless it is attempting to kill Tyranitar with Hidden Power Fighting. Crobat can score OHKOs on most Pokemon, but against notable threats like Gyarados, Tyranitar, and Heatran, it will miss the OHKO by only a small amount. Thus, Spikes and Stealth Rock support is extremely helpful. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran and Magnezone harder while still retaining decent damage on Tyranitar, but Tyranitar isn't OHKOed by +2 Hidden Power Ground, while Choice Scarf Magnezone is KOed by an unboosted Heat Wave most of the time and Heatran dies to +2 Hidden Power Fighting after two layers of Spikes damage. Roost is definitely an option over Heat Wave, since Crobat is losing HP from Life Orb nearly every turn so its longevity is limited.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Due to its high Speed and passable Attack, Crobat makes a viable user of Choice Band. Its typing allows it to switch in easily on a variety of threats, especially users of common attacks such as Earthquake and Close Combat, and retaliate with a strong move that usually hits for super effective damage. Crobat makes a particularly good lead since Inner Focus means it cannot be stopped by Fake Out, and many common leads such as Infernape and Azelf are KOed by Brave Bird and Pursuit, respectively.</p>

<p>When using Choice Band Crobat, it's pretty noticeable that its damage output doesn't compare with that of other Choice Band users (or even some Choice Scarf users). However, like the Utility set, Crobat should be focusing on wearing down the opponent's team before letting another Pokemon clean up - Crobat can't usually score OHKOs, but it can turn many 2-3HKOs into OHKOs for teammates. As a result, U-turn is one of Crobat's more usable options since it allows you to switch in something that can not only clean up a weakened team, but also take little damage from the Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves aimed at Crobat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Since Crobat supports the team through direct damage as opposed to Taunt or Toxic, it has more EVs focused into power as opposed to bulk. Because of this, finding a good switch-in to Crobat's checks is a good idea. Magnezone is a great choice since it traps and kills the Steel-types that wall Crobat, while the duo can each switch in on each other's weaknesses; Crobat is immune to Magnezone's Ground-type x4 weakness while Magnezone resists every single type Crobat is weak to (Psychic, Electric, Ice, and Rock).</p>

<p>Since Crobat lacks an instant recovery move due to Choice Band, it is absolutely vital that Stealth Rock is removed from play. Otherwise, Crobat is not coming in more than 4 times without Wish support, thus severely cutting its usefulness. Super Fang or Taunt are good options over Cross Poison or Pursuit, as Cross Poison may benefit from STAB, but usually has poor coverage, while Pursuit lacks power. Taunt can be used to stop slower leads such as Swampert and Bronzong from setting up, letting you bring in a sweeper and start pounding down on the foe, whereas Super Fang is useful versus bulkier teams, cutting 50% of the opposing Pokemon's health. This not only makes it easier to KO them, but also allows you to switch in a sweeper or a threat for free while they heal the damage off.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Crobat is one of those Pokemon that takes entry hazards as both a necessity and a deterrent. Stealth Rock will slash Crobat's longevity, and considering how frail it is without investment in the first place, that is not a good thing. On the other hand, if using the Choice Band/Nasty Plot set, Spikes support will be a godsend for scoring those OHKOs Crobat misses narrowly. If using the Utility Bat, Toxic Spikes will take down Pokemon such as Blissey and Swampert even faster, making it easier for your sweepers to plough through the opposing team.</p>

<p>Magnezone and Heatran are some of Crobat's best partners since they resist most of the types Crobat is weak to, while Crobat is immune to their 4x Ground-type weaknesses. They also have the ability to take out many of Crobat's common counters, such as Steel-types, Suicune, and Swampert. In return, Crobat can take down or weaken the many walls that would otherwise stop Magnezone and Heatran cold. However, Blissey will stop both Crobat and Heatran if Crobat is running Nasty Plot (and Heatran lacks Explosion), whereas Skarmory can stop Crobat if it uses any other set (although Magnezone and Heatran can KO it easily).</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Crobat has a large variety of EV spreads it can run, due to the different roles it can fulfill. You can reduce the Speed number to 144 EVs, as this comes to 356 Speed, just enough to outpace +1 Tyranitar. Crobat has no business trying to speed tie with Aerodactyl or Jolteon, so it can use 104 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 136 Spe to give more bulk while still powering Brave Bird to its full extent. X-Scissor is a stronger alternative against Celebi and other Psychic-types, but Cross Poison is often more useful (and gets STAB). Crobat can use Giga Drain on the Nasty Plot set, since it will always OHKO Swampert after a Nasty Plot while regaining some much-needed health. Confuse Ray, Whirlwind, Rain Dance, and Screech are all usable support options, but there is almost always a better user out there, and Crobat has more effective tools for supporting the team. Hypnosis is an extremely useful tool for putting the opponent's Pokemon to sleep, although it is illegal with Brave Bird, and Brave Bird is by far the more useful option. Additionally, the low accuracy doesn't help the fact that Crobat cannot afford a miss against a large threat, even with defensive investment.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>Zapdos and Rotom-A wall Crobat to high heaven, and most Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-types do too, but are hit hard by the Nasty Plot set. Jolteon and Aerodactyl can effectively revenge kill Crobat since it rarely runs maximum Speed. Anything switching in has to be wary of Super Fang, Taunt, or Hypnosis, but generally Pokemon like Snorlax and Blissey can take on the special sweeper while Swampert, Skarmory, and Heatran do well against the physical attacker.</p>

<p>The hardest thing about countering Crobat is that you don't know what set it is running until about a turn or two after it is sent out. By then there's a chance that it's already KOed your counter, so for the first few turns that Crobat is out, it is important to play cautiously. However, once you determine its set, it's easy to take down. Generally, you should take advantage of the fact that Crobat cannot hit very hard outside of Nasty Plot, and the fact that it's actually quite frail provided you hit it with a move that it doesn't resist.</p>
i'll be honest; the analysis was positively littered with extremely weird prose that quite literally made it painful to read. in some places you would also mention information that was essentially completely irrevelent to the analysis, which made it confusing to hack through. the grammar was decent but the flow of the analysis and how it read was really lacking here imo. i think that this might need a third GP check just to be safe.

also, i'm withholding my stamp until the changes are made.

One thing I noticed is that you don't mention Hypnosis at all, even in Optional Changes, despite it appearing in the counters section. I know it's illegal with BB (or something gay like that), but I still feel it should be mentioned, if only for those people who aren't aware of the egg difficulties.
iirc it's Hypnosis+Nasty Plot and Hypnosis+Brave Bird that are illegal, so that could be mentioned in Other Options

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the check, Snorlaxe, although I've left out one or two changes since I'm not too certain your suggestions are correct. Don't take it to heart, there are some good finds in there, but there's also a bit or two I didn't quite like.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<p>Crobat is one of the fastest non-Uber Pokemon in existence, losing only to Electrode and Ninjask, and tying with Jolteon and Aerodactyl. On top of this, its other stats, while not amazing, are far from poor, enabling it to utilize a variety of tactics to beat your opponent. From using its high Attack stat and decent movepool to whittle down the opponent, abusing Nasty Plot and its moderate Special Attack and simply sweeping, or just using its support movepool and moderate bulk to cripple the foe's team, Crobat will always successfully fill its role on your team</p>
Since the GPers have checked the entire write up, I"m gonna assume the rest is correct; however, idiomatically, it should be "from ... to" which this overview fails to follow. Since there's three tidbits of clauses that it uses (it's hard to fit in from... to into it, and it would just sound messy in my opinion), I would suggest changing the entire form of the sentence (in a very simple manner).

By using its high Attack stat and decent movepool to whittle down the opponent, abusing Nasty Plot and its moderate Special Attack and simply sweeping, or just using its support movepool and moderate bulk to cripple the foe's team, Crobat will always successfully fill its role on your team
Edit: Or the other check works too. Did not see that.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the check, Snorlaxe, although I've left out one or two changes since I'm not too certain your suggestions are correct. Don't take it to heart, there are some good finds in there, but there's also a bit or two I didn't quite like.
no problem, that happens to me almost every time one of my own write-ups is checked!

Uploading.

EDIT: First thing. You really need to not advertise Crobat so much in the overview. Having read that Overview, I expect Crobat to be substantially better and more widely used than it is. You have to remember that it's not even OU by usage, it is not "always successful", and it is not the best Pokemon ever. You must convey its weaknesses as well as its strengths in the Overview; that's what makes it an Overview at all. I've added and reworded substantial text in this area.

I had to fix a lot of grammatical and content errors or omissions in this, so please be more mindful in the future. Uploaded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)