Octillery

Do you really think PP stalling Octillery would work? I've used it and swept an uber team with +6 Struggle, with a -Attack nature and 0 Attack EVs, so PP stalling out still doesn't work as it can kill about half your team before it goes down to recoil damage.
Switch to ghost type when struggle appears? :L Shanderraa with Calm Mind preferably

I'm pretty sure even if they did away with the ???-type that struggle deals typeless damage and ghosts aren't immune, although can anyone with a DS actually confirm this?

I'm pretty sure even if they did away with the ???-type that struggle deals typeless damage and ghosts aren't immune, although can anyone with a DS actually confirm this?
It's literally been normal type since Gen II. It's always dealt typeless damage despite being normal type.

Guys, there's one Pokemon that I think can beat (non-Flamethrower) Octillery 1v1 that hasn't been discussed yet: Roserade.

Roserade gets Technician via Dream World. Combined with Magical Leaf, if Roserade switches right into Octillery, it seems that Octillery's only chance of winning 1v1 is haxing Special Defense boosts. I was thinking something like:

Roserade @ Leftovers
Modest/Timid (Modest probably preferred as this thing's purpose is to beat Octillery)
EVs: whatever, probably 6/252/252 unless a better spread emerges
- Magical Leaf
- HP Fire/Ice (at power 60)
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes / Sleep Powder
- Psych Up / Sleep Powder / Synthesis

Roserade also has an advantage over the other janky "counters" because it isn't a useless standalone Pokemon. It still absorbs and sets up (Toxic) Spikes and can put something to sleep.

I think once DW Roserade is released Octillery will have met its match at last.
I like this. Technician Roserade seems perfect for something like this, and I like the fact that, as you say, it can still perform other roles than just getting rid of Octillery well.

Clear Smog also seems pretty sufficient, and anything with Perish Song ought to work just fine too (provided it's an auto-hit move and doesn't need to rely on accuracy).

Perish Song indeed ignores accuracy modifiers and, iirc, even goes through Protect. Imagine Perish Song, then Protecting, then switching to a Shadow Tag Shandera with Protect or something. That'll show Octillery!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through protect. And anyone who stays in after a perish song knowing you have a shadow tagger/ arena trapper is an idiot.

Also, that roserade fails if octillery is carrying ice beam and has a speed boost.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through protect. And anyone who stays in after a perish song knowing you have a shadow tagger/ arena trapper is an idiot.

Also, that roserade fails if octillery is carrying ice beam and has a speed boost.
Perish Song does indeed go through Protect.

Another possible but gimmicky counter option is Skill Swap, if it goes through Substitutes, since it's unaffected by Accuracy modifiers and can turn this Ability on its initial user.

Perish Song indeed ignores accuracy modifiers and, iirc, even goes through Protect. Imagine Perish Song, then Protecting, then switching to a Shadow Tag Shandera with Protect or something. That'll show Octillery!
Hell, you wouldn't even need to do that. After Octillery gets tagged with PS, it's on a 3-turn timer, meaning that it basically can't do its job before biting the dust. Might as well switch in a set-up sweeper and start setting up if he's dumb enough to stay in, LOL.

If Octillery is carrying Ice Beam, it could lose to Bulky Waters or something. :0 Or be PP stalled out by Blissey or some such. I thought the whole point was to use Toxic + inconsistent to stall stuff out... I wouldn't expect to see too many Octillery sacrificing Toxic for a coverage move that would leave it walled anyway.

Another possible but gimmicky counter option is Skill Swap, if it goes through Substitutes, since it's unaffected by Accuracy modifiers and can turn this Ability on its initial user.
Too gimmicky, too overspecialized, IMO. What uses would it have outside of stealing Inconsistent? :0 (I mean, aside from things like Kecleon, but he's already gimmicky....)

If Octillery is carrying Ice Beam, it could lose to Bulky Waters or something. :0 Or be PP stalled out by Blissey or some such. I thought the whole point was to use Toxic + inconsistent to stall stuff out... I wouldn't expect to see too many Octillery sacrificing Toxic for a coverage move that would leave it walled anyway.
It would mainly have to be run with toxic spikes support if you don't have toxic- and a grounded poison, quite a few of which learn tspikes, should be run alongside an inconsistent user anyway. Plus I think +6 boiling water does 40-50% to blissey anyway, meaning surf would probably be a straight up 2hko. And who needs to toxic stall when you have +3-5 in all stats lol.

Do you really think PP stalling Octillery would work? I've used it and swept an uber team with +6 Struggle, with a -Attack nature and 0 Attack EVs, so PP stalling out still doesn't work as it can kill about half your team before it goes down to recoil damage.
That struggle would be weaker than an unboosted gyarados waterfall. I really don't see how it would sweep any ubers team that was not already incredibly weakened. especially considering that you can't take more than 5 hits before you die to recoil as you lose 1/4 of your hp each time and only get 1/16 back from leftovers.

Too gimmicky, too overspecialized, IMO. What uses would it have outside of stealing Inconsistent? :0 (I mean, aside from things like Kecleon, but he's already gimmicky....)
If inconsistent is a solid strategy why is using one moveslot to beat it too gimmicky? Plenty of pokemon use one moveslot to beat blissey/chansey only.

It would mainly have to be run with toxic spikes support if you don't have toxic- and a grounded poison, quite a few of which learn tspikes, should be run alongside an inconsistent user anyway. Plus I think +6 boiling water does 40-50% to blissey anyway, meaning surf would probably be a straight up 2hko. And who needs to toxic stall when you have +3-5 in all stats lol.
I suppose that's true. But then, it'd mean Roserade is still good to counter stuff, since it absorbs Toxic Spikes. Tentacruel too (if it carries Ice Beam instead of Energy Ball), but Tenta can't really do anything to Octillery, can it. :0

My point is, Octy can't beat everything. No Toxic means bulky Waters can tank his hits long enough to nail him with Toxic or something, (I dunno) Politoed can Perish Song him (...actually that's GG no matter what Octillery has); and no Flamethrower / Ice Beam means he's fodder for Mushy and Roserade.

That struggle would be weaker than an unboosted gyarados waterfall. I really don't see how it would sweep any ubers team that was not already incredibly weakened. especially considering that you can't take more than 5 hits before you die to recoil as you lose 1/4 of your hp each time and only get 1/16 back from leftovers.
+6 0 ev - nature octillery struggle raw attack power (bp times effective attack stat): 44,200
+6 max atk neutral nature octillery struggle raw attack power: 61,800
Max atk adamant gyrados waterfall raw attack power (with stab): 45,960

If octillery invests into it's attack (a possibility, also allows it to certainly beat blissey as opposed to letting it switch out and in and waste toxic, so running waterfall is not useless- his atk and sp atk are also the same) it becomes 33% stronger than gyrados's waterfall (so about the power of a lo waterfall). And even without that having an unresisted attack with power equal to a max atk gyarados's waterfall is still pretty decent.

My point is, Octy can't beat everything. No Toxic means bulky Waters can tank his hits long enough to nail him with Toxic or something, (I dunno) Politoed can Perish Song him (...actually that's GG no matter what Octillery has); and no Flamethrower / Ice Beam means he's fodder for Mushy and Roserade.
Bulky water's can't toxic him, substitute, so he probably beats them anyway. Politoed also has to eat an energy ball. and since he can come out and in, multiple energy balls. True octillery can't beat everything. But if you don't run all those to beat him, he will be a very major threat and, barring bad luck, will probably beat you if used semi decently. No other pokemon can be beaten by hard counters and luck only, nothing else. The unique way he sets up, by protecting, is what makes him nearly unbeatable, by preventing you from actively wearing him down on the setup, and allowing you to set up much more than normal setuppers.

If inconsistent is a solid strategy why is using one moveslot to beat it too gimmicky? Plenty of pokemon use one moveslot to beat blissey/chansey only.
Trick is a crippling move on many defensive mons, not just chansey/blissey. And it is fundamently different in that, if you don't run trick, then that one pokemon gets walled by bliss. Not the end of the game. If you don't run anti-consistent, you get swept by octillery. The problem is that anti-consistent typically fares poorly against everything else, making it overspecialized, unlike trick, which also has utility against other pokemon as well.

[regarding Skill Swap]

Multi-Scale, Sand Throw, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Guts, Regeneration, Mischievous Heart, Speed Boost, Magic Guard, Unaware, Flash Fire, Herbivore, Lightningrod, Storm Drain, Encourage, Shadow Tag, Magic Guard, Serene Grace, and Technician are just a few abilities that stick out to me as nice to get rid of if the Skill Swap user is able to do it safely. There's also Bad Dreams if Darkrai manages to hang around, though I doubt that.

But "if the Skill Swap user is able to do it safely" is a pretty big catch in the first place. Looking over the list of users, only Dusclops, Dusknoir, Starmie, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, and maybe Bronzong/Uxie/Cresselia stand out to me as Pokemon who can take a hit pretty well and don't get such huge benefits from their own ability that swapping it away is a huge risk. (e.g. swapping Natural Cure from Chansey/Blissey or Magic Guard from Rankurusu/Shinboraa is a dodgy idea).

Multi-Scale, Sand Throw, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Guts, Regeneration, Mischievous Heart, Speed Boost, Magic Guard, Unaware, Flash Fire, Herbivore, Lightningrod, Storm Drain, Encourage, Shadow Tag, Magic Guard, Serene Grace, and Technician are just a few abilities that stick out to me as nice to get rid of if the Skill Swap user is able to do it safely. There's also Bad Dreams if Darkrai manages to hang around, though I doubt that.

But "if the Skill Swap user is able to do it safely" is a pretty big catch in the first place. Looking over the list of users, only Dusclops, Dusknoir, Starmie, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, and maybe Bronzong/Uxie/Cresselia stand out to me as Pokemon who can take a hit pretty well and don't get such huge benefits from their own ability that swapping it away is a huge risk. (e.g. swapping Natural Cure from Chansey/Blissey or Magic Guard from Rankurusu/Shinboraa is a dodgy idea).
Yeah, that's the real catch, isn't it. :0 Even then, it's tough to find a practical use for whatever ability you happen to borrow, especially since you lose the ability when you switch out (I think you do, that is). I rather just run a Tracer so I don't have to waste a moveslot on it.

...hm.... Trace. >w> Prevo Stone Porygon2, anyone?

Wouldn't Tracing Inconsistent just add more ammunition to the people arguing that it overcentralizes things?

Wouldn't Tracing Inconsistent just add more ammunition to the people arguing that it overcentralizes things?
Uh, there's already a decent number of Pory2s running around carrying Trace. It's not a specialized counter at all.

I mean, won't people say things like "See, the only way to beat something with Inconsistent is to have Inconsistent yourself."?

Or, I don't even know. I should probably get some sleep.

I mean, won't people say things like "See, the only way to beat something with Inconsistent is to have Inconsistent yourself."?

Or, I don't even know. I should probably get some sleep.

But that in itself isn't overcentralization if you're using something that's completely viable normally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)