Octillery

Getting off the subject of Inconsistent for a moment: what do you think of him using Submersion (the move that turns the target's type to Water)? He could respond to stuff that would otherwise wall him by turning them into Water types, to threaten them with Bullet Seed/Energy Ball.
Looks good on paper but nothing stops the opponent from switching out.

Octillery @Leftovers/Expert Belt
Moody(Inconsistent)
Relaxed/Sassy
128 Attack 128 Sp.Attack 252 Defense/Sp.Defense (The opposite of the nature boost)
-Soak(Submerge)
-Energy Ball
-Subtitute
-Protect

Protect or Substitute right away. When you are satisfied with the boosts, use Soak and Energy Ball afterwards. Super Effective damage on all of the opponents pokemon. It's probably going to be banned but until that happens, have fun! :)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Last I checked Octillery still has a useful ability left. I would think he'd make a pretty good recipient of smash pass.
Unfortunately, Espeon almost completely outclasses Octillery since it can bounce back phazing moves, statusing attacks, and entry hazards. It also has superior Special Attack and Speed. Furthermore, it gets STAB on one of the best moves Baton Pass has to offer: Stored Power. I guess the only niche Octillery has over it is that Dragon Tail and Circle Throw won't switch it out, but passing a Substitute to Espeon would resolve that.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Octillery was a decent smash pass recipient when I used him. +2 rain booted specs water spouts that deal kyogre damage++? Sign me up.

The problem is keeping up rain and making sure hazards don't get layed down too quickly. Borderline impossible these days.

Unfortunately, Espeon almost completely outclasses Octillery since it can bounce back phazing moves, statusing attacks, and entry hazards. It also has superior Special Attack and Speed. Furthermore, it gets STAB on one of the best moves Baton Pass has to offer: Stored Power. I guess the only niche Octillery has over it is that Dragon Tail and Circle Throw won't switch it out, but passing a Substitute to Espeon would resolve that.
Well you can always use it lower tiers where espeon isn't allowed, all the smash passers are in NU with octillery. As an added bonus the walls wouldn't be as strong.

Well you can always use it lower tiers where espeon isn't allowed, all the smash passers are in NU with octillery. As an added bonus the walls wouldn't be as strong.
As a baton pass receiver Octillery competetes against Xatu, who basicly is a lower tier Espeon. It has access to Stored Power, Magic Bounce and even Giga Drain and Roost - which is a huge boon compared to Espeon because it can run Life Orb longer.
Octillery is too slow to set itself apart; it even has to have a positive speed nature to outrun non scarfers with +2, with is bad because many scarfers will outrun it easily.

how the hell is stored power easy to wall if its at max power?

you know some funny shit is going on if blissey is OHKOED by stored power.

heatran is OHKOED.
jirachi is OHKOED.
lugia is OHKOED
ferrothorn is OHKOED

+6 hp fighting vs standard weavile : 1000000000000%

Sure sableye and spiritomb walls but run hp bug then.

+6 hp bug vs standard weavile : 1000000%

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
He probably means that dark type pokemon make stored power an easy to wall move (and by dark type pokemon, that's just tyranitar in OU or houndoom in UU).

With excadrill gone, scarfers have been showing up a lot more in OU than I would have liked to see. I'm going to have to give the first post some heavy editing.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are you people seriously comparing Octillery to Xatu and Espeon? Really?
Neither Magic Bounce user can be used as an offensive BP recipient because their movepool are beyond terrible.
Stored Power is extremely easy to wall even at max power and their coverage moves are pitiful. You're just begging for Weavile to come in and Pursuit you to death.

You seriously can't compare those jokes of offensive movepools to Octillery's excellent one.
Espeon has a small but concise movepool that allows it to sweep just fine; Stored Power is really the only necessary move against non-Dark-types. Giving it Hidden Power Fighting resolves the Dark-type situation fairly easily. It also gets Grass Knot, so it can take out Tyranitar with ease. Shadow Ball is always an option if your looking to hit the Lati twins or Reuniclus hard.

Octillery, on the other hand, has a great movepool but that might be it. It is so weak to status and has mediocre attacking stats and pitiful speed. Plus, it can't continue the chain like Espeon can.

Espeon and Octillery are pretty different. Octillery has basically every single beam and gun based attack in the game so he has the kind of diverse special movepool usually reserved for things without any special attack like Rhydon or Rampardos, in addition to the most powerful Waterspout you're gonna find outside of ubers. I think in fifth gen it's a lot harder to keep a baton pass chain going for the entire battle, since at that point it forces your strategy to be 6-0 or lose. However, because of especially pokemon like Espeon, it's really easy to get a small chain going and get a single member of your team set up to do some real damage. Octillery's incredible coverage makes him effective at knocking signficant chunks out of your opponent's team before going down, making it easy for the chain to keep pressure on the opponent.

Espeon's something entirely different. Espeon doesn't have Octillery's immediate power and coverage, he has only one move that is going to force your opponent to play pretty recklessly - Stored Power. Stored Power is a nuclear bomb slowly ticking towards doomsday on any Baton Pass team. When Espeon sets it up himself with Calm Mind, it's already a 260 BP STAB Psychic attack coming off a +6 special attack, which should be enough to sweep anything honestly. That, combined with the ridiculous utility of being able to not just absorb but reflect any status or phazing move and baton pass basically covering his pursuit weakness, means that Espeon is a little slippery motherfucker who synergizes perfectly with every goal you want your baton passers to be accomplishing. But you can't play him at all like octillery though because unboosted his movepool does balls damage and he can't take hits for balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)