Most Underrated Pokémon of Generation 5

I dunno, Focus Blast is pretty popular. Plus lets check their resistances shall we?

Fighting P
Steel P
Fire S
Water S
Psychic S
Ice S

Seems to me like more of their resistances are types that are most commonly on special moves. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Surf, Scald, Fire Blast, and etc are moves I see every game. I'd rather have my Ghosts absorb fighting moves or something.

Honestly though I think Bro/King's viability depends on your team and what it calls for. I couldn't think one is better than the other. THey just excel in different areas.
So that's why we see specially defensive Suicune and Vaporeon, considering that their resistances are primarily special (Water, Ice, Fire)?

Because they are already resisted, it isn't as important to invest in those stats. Meanwhile, they are taking neutral damage from Stone Edge, Outrage, etc, and will need more defense to weather those hits. Slowbro has been traditionally more popular than Slowking for a reason.

"They excel at different things" - are you going to opt for Slowking as your special wall of choice with weaknesses to Grass, Electric, and Ghost striking at what should be its strong point? No, you'll pick something with fewer weaknesses on that side.

- Kyurem needs more love <3 Too bad it doesnt learn Ice Breath D:
- Escavalier, it's bulky and hits hard. But I hate Trick Room so yeah...

Are Slowbroking that underrated? I see bunch of them lately.
Escavalier doesn't need Trick Room. Slap a Choice Band on it, give it Megahorn and Pursuit, and it'll do work on anything not named Skarmory. A ridiculously fun and under rated Poke.

Virizion was under rated, but not so much now.

I've been trying out Denchura (haven't learned English names yet). It's a little bit under rated, as high speed and good type coverage is a great thing to have, but it really does die to a gust of wind. An accurate Thunder is a great thing to have though.

I like Escavalier, but nothing ever runs from it ever. I can count on one hand the number of times psychic types, even in Trick Room, switched out when I tried to Pursuit them. Either it's just that obvious or I keep playing shitty players (or are they not shitty and I'm shitty?).

I like Escavalier, but nothing ever runs from it ever. I can count on one hand the number of times psychic types, even in Trick Room, switched out when I tried to Pursuit them. Either it's just that obvious or I keep playing shitty players (or are they not shitty and I'm shitty?).
If that's the case you might as well just use Megahorn and deal out damage to whatever comes in.

What sane Psychic Pokemon stays in on Shubargo in Trick Room? I wouldn't, but I guess Pursuit must have become far too obvious on it. You should just Megahorn of death ram them. I like the Swords Dance version just because Shubargo hits ridiculous hard although it's dangerous at times (but helpful with Trick Room and Sub/Rain Dance). I mean really, Choice Band Megahorn murders them and almost everything and even things that resist generally are taking large hits.

My vote goes to Chiirachino, the poor fella in his thread is often compared to Ambipom due to stats, typing, and ability. Yet, Chiira thanks to its moves with coverage and ability (technician) Chiirachino is far less situational than Ambipom in dishing out damage and can really net you some vital KO's thanks to its speed, and with King's rock equipped the flinch rates can be an unexpected life saver.

So that's why we see specially defensive Suicune and Vaporeon, considering that their resistances are primarily special (Water, Ice, Fire)?

Because they are already resisted, it isn't as important to invest in those stats. Meanwhile, they are taking neutral damage from Stone Edge, Outrage, etc, and will need more defense to weather those hits. Slowbro has been traditionally more popular than Slowking for a reason.

"They excel at different things" - are you going to opt for Slowking as your special wall of choice with weaknesses to Grass, Electric, and Ghost striking at what should be its strong point? No, you'll pick something with fewer weaknesses on that side.
They fill different roles. You can't just say Suicune/Vaporeon is better than Slowking. It may do a job better than it, but it can't do everything! It can't slack off, flamethrower, regenration and all that jazz. They're different. And if ur using Slowking you won't be keeping it IN against a Stone Edger or whatever. Its not Slowbro, and it will not be doing the same things as him. Send in another pokemon to take those hits. And where did you get the idea I wan't to WALL with it? Regeneration calls for a playstyle in which you send the Pokemon in to absorb a hit, attack, yawn, or thunderwave or whatever and then call them back and regenerate your lost health. And yes this conversation arose with its DW ability in mind...

I gotta agree with the guy on the first page that Slowbro deserves MUCH more attentions than he's been getting (which is almost none). Regeneration makes an already pretty good pokemon into one of the game's best bulky waters, he does an excellent job at beating some of the games best physical sweepers easily.
I just fought one minutes ago and I can assure you it held its own. He sent it in to absorb my Gastrodon's (or whatever special attacker I had out) water attack then yawned and fled. It was brilliant too because he was using it worked well with his Stealth Rocks/Spikes, and it never died cuz it never stayed out long enough to get killed.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I see Slowking best as a trick room NP pokemon. Which is something Slowbro can't do at all.

My vote goes to Chiirachino, the poor fella in his thread is often compared to Ambipom due to stats, typing, and ability. Yet, Chiira thanks to its moves with coverage and ability (technician) Chiirachino is far less situational than Ambipom in dishing out damage and can really net you some vital KO's thanks to its speed, and with King's rock equipped the flinch rates can be an unexpected life saver.
I tried a few different sets with it and I couldn't find a whole lot of success with it. I think the best one though is a Skill Link set (DW obviously) since it gets access to 3 multi-hit moves.

It's a shame too, since it gets several useful utility moves like Knock Off and Thunderwave and it just didn't work out for me that well.

Slowking can also run a Gimmick Curse set, but that's not something unique to him (Slowbro has better initial defense, but Slowking has special bulk).

I think the most underrated pokemon ever to be on my teams is Roserade. It can set up Spikes, Sleep a pokemon, Rest, and come back and do it all again if needed (not to mention Leaf Storm hurts non-resists). It's poison-typing lets it absorb toxic spikes, and natural cure makes it a safe switch in to most status (rest cures all non-sleep ones as it is).

They fill different roles. You can't just say Suicune/Vaporeon is better than Slowking. It may do a job better than it, but it can't do everything! It can't slack off, flamethrower, regenration and all that jazz. They're different. And if ur using Slowking you won't be keeping it IN against a Stone Edger or whatever. Its not Slowbro, and it will not be doing the same things as him. Send in another pokemon to take those hits. And where did you get the idea I wan't to WALL with it? Regeneration calls for a playstyle in which you send the Pokemon in to absorb a hit, attack, yawn, or thunderwave or whatever and then call them back and regenerate your lost health. And yes this conversation arose with its DW ability in mind...

I just fought one minutes ago and I can assure you it held its own. He sent it in to absorb my Gastrodon's (or whatever special attacker I had out) water attack then yawned and fled. It was brilliant too because he was using it worked well with his Stealth Rocks/Spikes, and it never died cuz it never stayed out long enough to get killed.
I was not comparing Vaporeon and Suicune to Slowking, I was pointing out that the choice of the defensive focus is frequently irrelevant of resistances and is more focused on weaknesses. Thus, you don't see specially defensive Vaporeon or Suicune with much frequency.

I'm really just questioning what use Slowking would have in the current metagame that Slowbro wouldn't. Slowbro takes Heatran's Fire Blast, Latios' Surfs, etc, just as well while taking physical hits better (which is more important as Standard has always been a physically dominated meta).

Slowking may be able to take a Draco Meteor or Starmie's LO Thunderbolt better, but at the end of the day I don't really think it is underrated at all; it is where it should be.

Anyway, because this isn't Slowbro vs. Slowking, I'll contribute otherwise. I'd have to nominate Shell Break Gorebyss - it is utterly terrifying to face even outside of rain, and has a pretty healthy base 105 defense. Equipped with a White Herb, you have the options of either outspeeding it with a Scarfer that can OHKO (and they must be >406 speed), or watch it pass the move to something like Salamence, which is essentially GG.

Meloetta needs to see more use in Dream World. She has very good coverage and an exceptional SpDef stat that can tank a ton of hits and strike back. Serene Grace (a good friend to Shadow Ball,) the threat of transforming (or even Close Combat from untransformed Meloetta for a certain pink blob, in conjunction with Cheer Up or otherwise,) and the Normal typing helps to differentiate her from Latias. that doesn't sound like much help, but the Ghost immunity provides free opportunities and Fighting types can't switch into you anyway. I can't even count how many battles have resulted in 2-3 tank-hits-and-kill with max HP+SpDef Meloetta - she's great against offensive and balanced teams. (you don't need SpA for a tank thanks to nice coverage, and you DEFINITELY do not need max Speed or close to it because that's a total waste for her in this meta, wasting EVs in an area where you'll always be outclassed - use Thunder Wave instead if you want, I like T-Wave+3 attacks. imo, if you're gonna put SpA into her you should go all the way with Modest Specs. I don't see the point in that over the Latis, though.)

Sandslash and Excadrill make good sand-friends in the style of Ubers QuazaMence in gen #4. i don't know if that qualifies Sandslash as underrated - max Attack+LO being the obvious and my choice, but Sandslash also has nice defence and it's possible it could be worth investing in to differentiate it from the mole.

I've been running a CB Trick Dusknoir and a bulky Amoonguss with surprisingly amazing success. I've been playing on DW OU because Amoonguss doesn't have Regeneration yet. Here's the Dusknoir set. The Amoonguss one I run is very similar to the one posted except I run Clear Smog over Substitute. I've been finding him bulky enough to survive boosted hits and clearing out their stat changes. It's saved my team from being swept numerous times. Anyways, Dusknoir (pretty sure this set is posted on his 5th gen analysis):

Dusknoir @Choice Band
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
Attacks:
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake
~ ThunderPunch / Fire Punch / Ice Punch
~ Trick

- Dusknoir packs a surprising punch with his moves. And nobody suspects him to be choice banded (at least in my experience). I've caught a countless amount of people by surprise with him. Conkeldurr baits Shadow Tag Shandera's like it's his job and switching Dusknoir in on the predicted Shandera is a blast. Most become confident and attempt to Shadow Ball but Dusknoir OHKO's them with Sucker Punch. Earthquake destroys random enemies that aren't prepared. I, personally, run ThunderPunch on my Dusknoir because I have enough Ice moves on my team and it has helped in numerous occasions when I needed the Electric coverage. Trick is what really makes this set great to me as it frees him up and makes him very versatile whilst crippling the opponent usually (obviously the purpose of trick but I felt like stating it anyways).

I'd like to put forward Victini. I've only seen a couple, although I have only been playing for the last couple of days. What really confused me is that both were special.

100 base speed means it's quick enough to outspeed a reasonably large amount of stuff, 100/100/100 defences make it kind of bulky without any investment, and V-Generate will ruin your shit. I've been using Victini when I don't know how to finish off something, I'll hit it with V-Generate. Even if you resist it, it will hurt like hell.

I'd like to put forward Victini. I've only seen a couple, although I have only been playing for the last couple of days. What really confused me is that both were special.

100 base speed means it's quick enough to outspeed a reasonably large amount of stuff, 100/100/100 defences make it kind of bulky without any investment, and V-Generate will ruin your shit. I've been using Victini when I don't know how to finish off something, I'll hit it with V-Generate. Even if you resist it, it will hurt like hell.
V-Generate Victini is currently banned from standard play because it isn't released yet. Once it does get released I suspect a huge rise in CBVictini.

I just decided to put non 5 gen pokes in the OP as well.

Also, CB Azumarill is HIGHLY underrated. It counters so many new threats

I just decided to put non 5 gen pokes in the OP as well.

Also, CB Azumarill is HIGHLY underrated. It counters so many new threats
What's the difference between a threat and a staple though? As far as I know it's not getting past Jellicent or Ferrothorn anytime soon, unless someone has calculations to prove otherwise.

Interesting point there. However you should know that Azumarill hits all sweepers of sandstorm teams bar Stoutland the doggy thing for SE. Landlos/Terakion/Excadrill.

CBZurill seems to be rising a little in usage on non-Uber Drizzle teams, but yes it is grossly underrated. And how about Clefable? It was never very popular in Gen 4, but it's gained even more moves and is INCREDIBLY versatile, yet I've seen a grand total of 0 teams using it (though many people discussing Unaware Clefable). Magic Guard is AWESOME and Unaware Clefable has niche uses.

CB azu is awesome. it beat anything has to do with sandstorm. But seeing the word "choice" make me cry sometime.

Why the heck no one put attention to my LO crimgan set anyway >
sarcasm

And how about Clefable? It was never very popular in Gen 4, but it's gained even more moves and is INCREDIBLY versatile, yet I've seen a grand total of 0 teams using it (though many people discussing Unaware Clefable). Magic Guard is AWESOME and Unaware Clefable has niche uses.
yeah but the 5th generation has also brought magic guard sigilyph and reuniclus who are both bitches to take down after some defensive boosts and and also unaware quaqsire which can also be used as a bulky water...but i won't disagree that clefable should be shown more love(it actually also learns cosmic power and assist power as level up moves and also has access to recovery...)

Clefable isn't bad, but it's got poor damage potential outside of Seismic Toss and its typing isn't as strong as the Psychics, since Fighting is everywhere now and Ghost-types have much better coverage now which hurts Clefable's average defenses.

It's a good counter to Jellicent, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)