Favorite On-Going Anime

Gosick and Madoka are good ATM.

Madoka is pretty good as well, as far as things that have just recently started airing go. Giving me some strong Nanoha/Mai-HiME vibes.
The first ep felt Nanoha-ish, but that was expected out of Shinbo, who directed MGLN S1. After that? Urobuchi turned on his writing skills and is making a great series. Kyubey is a big fucking dick.

I know it's "cool" to hate on Naruto or whatever, but it's really the only manga that has kept me interested enough to read weekly. I kept up with Bleach until about 4 months ago when I really couldn't take it anymore, and I started OP last year but could never get through it all (I plan on starting again soon though). That's it for my list of "on-going" anime (manga). I've watched a lot more completed animes than I probably ever should have... but oh well, I enjoy it :)
I dropped Naruto after the incredible amount of bad cliches in a row: Pain killing an entire village only to resurrect it, Naruto seeing his father who saves him from being consumed and shit, and now the bumblebee teaching Naruto to control something that really should be properly uncontrollable...Naruto degraded a long time ago (certainly after the fighting tournament), but it very rapidly simplified and gained worse dialogue recently. I had to drop it for being bad but not funny...I dropped Bleach at 360, then when I realized how funny the bad stuff is I picked it back up. Pages like that sad eye Ichigo chapter cover recently just cannot be beaten. One Piece kind of got clogged during the prison chapters (too much going on, so finally it seems to me like they just abandoned a lot of stuff they should do to get it over with, ironic since they slowed the anime down so ungodly badly...), but it is back to a more normal pacing/flow and about the same as ever I think, that is mildly fun overall every chapter.

The best ongoing manga is Franken Fran anyway :@ there are a lot of good options though, for instance the best Jojo yet, although it has also become a bit clogged as it went on and added more and more unsustainable amounts of important characters. I would have said Vinland Saga in the past, but now that it is a manga about farming.....

(whoops was this an anime topic ^________^;)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know it's "cool" to hate on Naruto or whatever, but it's really the only manga that has kept me interested enough to read weekly. I kept up with Bleach until about 4 months ago when I really couldn't take it anymore, and I started OP last year but could never get through it all (I plan on starting again soon though). That's it for my list of "on-going" anime (manga). I've watched a lot more completed animes than I probably ever should have... but oh well, I enjoy it :)
I was a fan of ナルト before it became Narooto too. It's a really good series overall. Anime like Dragon Ball or Naruto, they get in the lime light for a reason-- they're good.

Completed's are a lot more satisfying overall, without having to wait week after week for the next chapter.

BLEACH (the manga) should have just ended while it was ahead (well, a little ahead-- it was still going to shit) with this last arch-- it's getting exceedingly stupid, and they're just worsening the manga's biggest problem: Too many f'ing characters. It's getting to the point where Ichigo is almost is a minor character with not enough screen time. Not that Ichigo was ever the most interesting main character anyway (he probably has one of the blandest personalities amongst shonen main characters). No hope at all for the rest of the lot.

A couple years back when Eyeshield 21 was still ongoing (probably my favorite manga to ever come out of Jump), One Piece was good as always, Naruto was bearable (but not one of its high points) and Bleach was ok, I used to buy Weekly Jump and read it. I was studying abroad in Tokyo at the time.

Now I'm working in Japan, and you couldn't get be spend money on it. :P

Actually Im watching the episodes i missed from Yu Gi Oh. After that, Ill finish watching Trigun, and then i think Ill go for Soul Eater

naruto was incredibly entertaining before shippuden. never read the manga

bleach was awesome up to soul society and the arc after that up to grimjaw was pretty good, though the battle with grimjaw was more than good it was fucking sick. its gotten fucking putrid bullshit lately. embarrassing plot holes, shit unexplained, nothing makes sense, fuck this series

yeah its not artistic its pretty much fun entertainment. and theres nothing wrong with that

cowboy bebeop and full metal alchemist are amongst the best in the artform

and this concludes the 4/5 animes ive ever watched

anime bleach i watched up until the end of the ss saga, but recently started reading the anime and i'm in hueco mundo right now (the captains just arrived, yay for deus ex machinae up in this bitch). bleach is kinda hypnotic. it's SOOOOOOOOOO formulaic, but i keep reading just to see what new powers and new abilities appear. it's kinda like dragon ball in which it's pretty bad plot wise but has entertaining battles.

i am also watching death note right now and enjoying it.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Damn I was meaning to do a proper anime thread. Ugh, and I had everything planned out too. Oh well. On-topic, the anime I'm following this season:

Yumekui Merry - Very nice style, the concept is vaguely interesting too but overall nothing amazing yet, really. Obligatory mention of delicious midriffs here THERE ARE YOU HAPPY MATAMATO AND FOOLSHIN

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka - Really goofy, fanservice laden and tries to be too serious too often. Really should stick to more lighthearted fare.

Magica Madoka - SHAFT style, Shinbo and Urobuchi really go all out in this. Loving it so far, Madoka is a proper magical girl protagonist stuck in a warped Urobuchi-written magical girl world. Also Kyuubei is Mephisto. Also also BAWW MAMIIII

Wandering Son - Probably my favorite anime this season, a serious take on kids suffering from transgender issues. Very down-to-earth and touching, though admittedly since it's only going to be a 12 ep series it's going to cut out a LOT of the manga material (which is also quite good).

No opinions on other anime atm because I haven't watched anything else yet.

EDIT: Oh right, for all you .hack fans, the first Quantum OVA is out, and it does not disappoint. Fans of .hack will probably want to watch out for at least the second ep, which I believe comes out in a month or so.

the best currently airing anime I'm watching are Madoka, Level E, and Fractale

Madoka is magical girls turned grim and dark, Level E is an excellent comedy which pretty much came out of the 90's about an alien coming to earth and generally screwing around with earthlings, Fractale is some futuristic science fiction involving an all encompassing computer system integrated with a rural utopia and some other stuff (it's only 4 episodes in at the moment)

uh Doomsday Dragon Ball has plots, DBZ not so much. Bleach has turned into, at this point, nothing but sad eyes. It is glorious.

cool thread, I needed to get back into watching anime. I think I'll pick up the latest SHAFT works as I am a fanboy of that studio...

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we're going to treat this as a general anime thread, can I talk about disappointing anime too?

One I really want to talk about is Eden of the East (Higashi no Eden). It looks really good with all the makings of a good anime-- a great art style, nice animation, music, voice acting, and a very good habit of "showing instead of telling."

The problem?

. . . it just didn't go anywhere. At the end of the anime I was just left thinking-- so what? This was boring. Nothing actually happened.

It was kind of like how people describe yaoi: 山無し、落ち無し、意味無し (No climax, no conclusion, no meaning).

At least it was better than yaoi because there was a really sexy jukujou lady in there (and it's not gay). Too bad she has a thing for cutting off guy's willies. :x

There is nothing that ruins a hard on like genital mutilation.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Of course Eden of the East didn't go anywhere, the whole thing was a prelude to the movies.

Unless you meant that the movies also didn't go anywhere, I haven't watched them yet.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
This is the first I've heard of it, but even if you say that-- I'm still not all that interested to watch more. First impressions are hard to shake, and this is one that's really stuck with me. I didn't watch 11 episodes of anime to be bored.

Hm, I'm really not sure what's "ongoing" besides the big three and they, quite frankly, aren't that good. Don't get me wrong, I love One Piece but the anime moves way too slowly for me to be hooked. I watched it up until the end of the Alabasta arc, saw that it was slowing down and skipped to Water 7 and after that I watch an episode a week - sometimes. Bleach was good back in Soul Society (and, MAYBE, during Grimmjow's opening scenes) but now it's just a clusterfuck of characters and storylines that all seem to point in the same direction: fucking nowhere. Can't comment on Naruto as I only saw the first few episodes and read the first few chapters and I didn't care enough to finish.

Um, what else...I hear Detective Conan has an ongoing anime but I've only read the manga. The manga is great though, I'm quite the fan.

Other than that there's nothing ongoing that I've been watching. I finished up Panty and Stocking and that just ended a month ago. It'll probably get another season as well, judging from the cliffhanger ending. And I guess I saw a few episodes of Best Wishes, if it counts.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As an anime, Shippuden has made Naruto noticeably worse. Naruto was always an ongoing shonen anime and the makers of the show never tried to avoid those trappings, but in fear of having to more filler they actually made Shippuden twice as slow, at least. Which means more wasting time, and stupid dialogue for filler. It still has amazing characters and fights that the protagonists win using clever tactics instead of brute force, so I'm not gonna stop watching it. I just really wouldn't mind if after the manga ends, someone redoes Naruto with about 50 episodes per series. Like Kai is doing to DBZ.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
lol, people who watch the anime.

For those long shonen series, it's a proven fact that the manga version is only 1000000000000000000% better. Double that in the case of One Piece.

Yeah, my hope is that Bakuman doesn't degrade a dragfest like other shonen animes do. It has hope as it's a different style and there are some chapters that they'd be hard pressed to put into one episode due to the amount of dialogue that goes on in them but who knows what'll happen as they're only in season 1.

Also, Claymore might get a second season that follows the manga and ignores the stupid ending of the first season. Hooray!
:o srs? first i've heard of it o.o.
Any chance you could link a source?

Back on topic. Ongoing animes i'm currently watching;

Beelzebub: Favorite anime this season, not much of a plot and art is mediocre and the fight scenes are more amusing than serious. However the comedy is hilarious, i mean who doesn't love watching demon lord babies flood the world with pee :D.

I also started watching infinite stratos but dropped it at episode 4(or 5 o.o) for no particular reason. May pickup freezing though if i get time. As for naruto + bleach i dropped the animes quite a while ago, however i still keep up to date with the mangas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)