Gyarados (Analysis)

should wobbufett be mentioned. most pokes that are used to outspeed him are scarfed and wobb can come in and trap and remove then with mirror coat/counter

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that due to the huge rise in the amount of other physical sweepers this Generation, Gyarados is sort of outclassed offensively by Doryuuzu and Garchomp/Mence and the Bulky Set is easily outclassed by Dragonite with Multi Scale. I think that the RestTalk set should now be first on the analysis as it is much more effective that Gyarados' iffy sweeping sets... Only an 80 Base Power STAB attack is sort of meh this generation when compared to an Outrage from Ononokusu coming off +2 Base 147 Attack.

Great analysis though!

This done yet?

I think that due to the huge rise in the amount of other physical sweepers this Generation, Gyarados is sort of outclassed offensively by Doryuuzu and Garchomp/Mence and the Bulky Set is easily outclassed by Dragonite with Multi Scale. I think that the RestTalk set should now be first on the analysis as it is much more effective that Gyarados' iffy sweeping sets... Only an 80 Base Power STAB attack is sort of meh this generation when compared to an Outrage from Ononokusu coming off +2 Base 147 Attack.

Great analysis though!
No way should the RestTalk set ever be before a Dragon Dance set (or first in any analysis this generation) in my opinion. Just because he might be outclassed in some aspects doesn't mean he should be treated less seriously in the competitive game. When if you don't have a check with a Scarf? Or when if your walls have been weakened enough? What can you do about +1 Attack/Speed monster? There is always the chance you might be ill-prepared to face that set and since he isn't that common, that could happen often. The few Gyarados I've faced have always threatened my teams in some way (and none of them used RestTalk).

And shouldn't those other sweepers who "outclass" him easily take out his RestTalk set as well? I have used the set a little bit, but it didn't work too well at all, even against walls, since most would heal off the weaker damage output anyways.

With that, I think the Dragon Dance sets should be first (or above the RestTalk set) on the analysis. I don't know which type is more effective though (offensive or bulky), but Offensive should probably be first.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Choice Band Gyarados needs a mention somewhere, at the least in Other Options. I saw zfs use it a while ago during suspect testing, and its damage output was absolutely spectacular. Under rain, Waterfall becomes obscenely powerful, leaving a huge dent in nearly everything. Gyarados can run moves like Payback to give Burungeru a run for its money, and Stone Edge / Earthquake for added coverage. Earthquake Spiral in lieu of Intimidate also seems like an interesting option; nabbing an attack boost or two after a kill seems fun!

Everything else here looks great!

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'd definitely put Choice Band in OO, probably with Intimidate since you're a) coming in b) smashing something and c) getting out. I don't think it deserves its own set, because it gets worn down VERY quickly between taking attacks and Stealth Rock. It really needs Rain to function well, and even then I'd rather use Azumarill.

Make Overconfidence the first slash on the Offensive Dancer. It's way better.

Other than that, approved 2/3

I still think DD should be first, but apparently it's better than what I thought it was. Oh well. Good analysis though. A suprise Choice Band set is a great idea in OO (or even alongside the Scarf in OC).

I might have to give the RestTalk set another go with a couple new teams and get another perspective.

Please keep in mind that this is an amateur GP check, which means it doesn't count unless an official GPer stamps it for me.

QC Checks: Bloo, Bad Ass, Iconic

Gyarados

[Overview]

<p>While Gyarados received few new toys in Generation 5, it remains a top-tier threat. An excellent offensive typing in Water combined with a massive 125 base attack, two excellent abilities in Intimidate and Overconfidence (Moxie), and Dragon Dance make Gyarados a superb physical sweeper. On the other hand, solid 95 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats coupled with Intimidate and excellent defensive typing allow Gyarados to serve as a formidable physical check. However, the abundance of powerful physical sweepers such as Doryuzuu (Excadrill) and Roobushin (Conkeldurr) overshadow Gyarados in a sweeping role. Nevertheless, Gyarados is a top-tier threat that is able to demolish unprepared teams. (makes a great addition to most teams.)</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Roar / Dragon Tail
nature: Impish
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent defensive typing, with key resistances to Fire-, Bug-, Ground-, Water-, Fighting- and Steel-type attacks, Intimidate, and decent 90 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats allow Gyarados to function as an excellent Restalker. Rest is useful for Gyarados to recover from both direct and passive damage, while Sleep Talk lets Gyarados perform moves while it’s asleep. (prevents Gyarados from being dead weight while Resting and allows it to absorb sleep status for the team.) Rest also cures Gyarados of status, so that it can better take on Dusclops, Burungeru (Jellicent), and Heatran. The substantial investment in bulk allows Gyarados to easily take on common threats like Blaziken, Heatran, Zuruzukin (Scrafty), and Scizor.</p>

<p>Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB-move to hurt frail or Water-weak foes. Roar and Dragon Tail both let Gyarados phaze opponents. Dragon Tail is useful since it cannot be Taunted and deals minor damage, but Roar is more reliable and deals with Substitute users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Gyarados’ physical bulk, while also allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock five times. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature allows Gyarados to take special attacks more easily, whilst still allowing it to check physical threats like Lucario and Scizor.</p>

<p>This set has problems against (with) faster users of Electric-type attacks. Zapdos, Jolteon, Voltorus, and Rotom-W are all capable of hitting Gyarados with STAB Thunderbolt and OHKO it in the process. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon are able to hit Gyarados with a super-effective Hidden Power Electric, should they be allowed to switch in.</p>

<p>This Gyarados works best alongside (with) entry hazards. Nattorei (Ferrothorn) is an excellent partner to (for) Gyarados, as it resists Gyarados’ weaknesses in (to) Rock- and Electric-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Nattorei’s (Ferrothorn's) weaknesses in (to) Fire- and Fighting-type attacks. Nattorei (Ferrothorn) is also capable of setting up valuable entry hazards such as Stealth Rock or Spikes. Gyarados also appreciates teammates that can spin away Stealth Rock, such as Starmie and Doryuzuu (Excadrill).</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Bounce
nature: Adamant / Jolly
item: Life Orb
ability: Overconfidence (Moxie) / Intimidate
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent offensive stats backed by Dragon Dance and Water-typing allow Gyarados to deal significant damage to unprepared teams. With a neutral nature, Gyarados hits 391 Speed after one Dragon Dance, allowing it to outspeed positive-nature base 120s. With Life Orb and one Dragon Dance, Gyarados hits incredibly hard with Waterfall. Stone Edge provides great coverage, allowing Gyarados to hit Flying-types such as Salamence, Dragonite, Zapdos, and opposing Gyarados hard. Earthquake gives Gyarados a shot at hitting Nattorei (Ferrothorn) and Empoleon, while Bounce can be used to nail bulky Grass-types for super effective damage.</p>

<p>Overconfidence (Moxie) is the preferred ability as it allows Gyarados to gain Attack boosts after (from) KO'ing foes. Intimidate gives Gyarados more options (opportunities) to switch in, such as against Scizor.</P>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed positive base Speed 130s after a Dragon Dance. Ice Fang can be used in lieu of Stone Edge to maintain the super effective hit against Flying-types, while smashing Grass- and Dragon-types for super-effective damage.</p>

<p>This set is primarily countered by bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon and Suicune, who take laughable damage from Stone Edge and can scare Gyarados away with a super-effective Electric-type attacks (Hidden Power) or threaten it with a Burn from Boiling Water (Scald). Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Nattorei (Ferrothorn), Celebi, and Tangrowth can switch in and either Paralyze Gyarados or hit it with STAB Grass-type attacks. Porygon-2, Dusclops, Skarmory, and Swampert can all avoid being 2HKO’d by Gyarados without a Dragon Dance and either Status it, KO it, or phaze it away. Gyarados is also easily revenge-killed by faster, Choice Scarfed Pokemon such as Lati@s and Starmie.</p>

<p>The best partners to this Gyarados are Pokemon that can take advantage of bulky Water- and Grass-types. Once again, Nattorei (Ferrothorn) makes an excellent partner, being able to switch freely into Water-types and set up entry hazards or retaliate with Power Whip. Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Scizor are useful for KOing Choice Scarfed Lati@s and Starmie.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Dragon Dance
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Stone Edge / Bounce
nature: Adamant
evs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set trades immediate power and Speed for additional bulk, allowing Gyarados to set up on the likes of Scizor, Lucario, and Roobushin (Conkledurr) and procure several Dragon Dances before attempting a sweep. Taunt allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon that normally give it trouble, such as Skarmory, and protects Gyarados from harmful status effects coming from Pokemon like Dusclops and Blissey. Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB attack (STAB-move), and Stone Edge gives decent neutral coverage and the ability to hit Flying-types like Dragonite and Zapdos hard. Alternatively, Gyarados can opt to run Bounce over Stone Edge to get a super-effective hit on bulky Grass-types and a neutral hit on Nattorei (Ferrothorn) while gaining extra Leftovers recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread provides Gyarados with a harmonious blend of power and survivability. 156 HP EVs allows Gyarados to survive two Life Orb Heatran Fire Blasts after Stealth Rock. 96 Defense EVs allow Gyarados to avoid a 2HKO by (from) Quick Attack by Choice Band Scizor. 184 EVs in Speed means Gyarados will outspeed positive-natured Speed base 115s (115 base Speed Pokemon) after a Dragon Dance. The rest are put into Attack to increase Gyarados’ power. Alternatively, an EV spread of 152 HP / 168 Def / 188 Spe allows Gyarados to set up against strong physical sweepers like Roobushin (Conkeldurr) more easily.</p>

<p>This set works significantly better with Rapid Spin support. Starmie and Doryuzuu (Excadrill) are excellent offensive partners for this reason. Doryuzuu also resists both of Gyarados’ weaknesses in (to) Electric- and Rock-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Doryuzuu’s (Excadrill's) weaknesses in (to) Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks. Once again, entry hazard support aids Gyarados immensely in sweeping. Nattorei (Ferrothorn)is an excellent set-upper (setter) of entry hazards thanks to its type synergy with Gyarados.</p>

<p>Like the Offensive variant, Gyarados has trouble with bulky Water-types like Vaporeon, who can either Burn Gyarados with Boiling Water (Scald) or severely damage it with Hidden Power Electric. Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Nattorei (Ferrothorn) also make life difficult for Gyarados. Finally, Porygon-2 remains a thorn to (in) Gyarados’ side, taking pitiful damage from Waterfall and threatening back with Electric-type attacks.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Nearly all variants of Gyarados love entry hazard support, so Pokemon that can reliably set up entry hazards make great teammates for Gyarados. Nattorei (Ferrothorn) in particular is an excellent partner for Gyarados, since Nattorei (it) can easily switch into the Water-types that give Gyarados trouble. Nattorei (Ferrothorn) also resists Gyarados’ weaknesses to Electric- and Rock-type moves. In return, Gyarados resists Nattorei’s (Ferrothorn's) weaknesses to Fire- and Fighting-type attacks. Rapid Spin support from the likes of Starmie and Doryuzuu (Excadrill) also help prolong Gyarados’ survivability (survival) on the battlefield.</p>

<p>Gyarados has many great offensive and defensive partners. Electric- and Grass-types like Jolteon, Nattorei, and Borutorosu (Thundurus) are able to eliminate bulky Water-types that give Gyarados trouble. Powerful Fire-type Pokemon like Blaziken and Heatran are also helpful for taking out bulky Grass-types, especially Nattorei (Ferrothorn). Scizor and Tyranitar with Pursuit are also great teammates for Gyarados as they can easily trap and take out fast Choice Scarfed Pokemon like Lati@s that are able to revenge-kill Gyarados. Strong Fighting-types such as Roobushin (Conkeldurr) are capable of taking out Porygon-2.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>In (On) either of the Dragon Dance sets, Gyarados has several items that it can make great use of. Wacan Berry can allow Gyarados to survive a strong Electric-type attack and hopefully get in another Dragon Dance. Similarly, Lum Berry can be used to cure an untimely status effect, particularly a Burn from Boiling Water (Scald).</p>

<p>Aqua Tail can be used in lieu of Waterfall for a slight increase in power, but Waterfall’s perfect accuracy and its chance to flinch the foe more often than not outweigh this. Return is a viable coverage move, as the combination of Water and Normal is resisted only by Empoleon, Nattorei (Ferrothorn), Burungeru (Jellicent), and Shedinja in OU. Thunder Wave is another option, which allows Gyarados to neuter its usual checks that rely on Speed like (such as) Rotom-W, Starmie, and Lati@s. Finally, Gyarados has access to a wide range of special moves like (including) Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump, but its abysmal Special Attack means that these attacks should be avoided.</p>

<p>A Choice Band set with Waterfall, Payback, Stone Edge, and Earthquake allows Gyarados to hit extremely hard right off the bat, but the prevalence of residual damage in the form of Sandstorm and Stealth Rock really hinder its survivability. Similarly, Gyarados can opt to run a Choice Scarf set with Overconfidence (Moxie), but this set is mostly outclassed by Salamence due to Salamence’s higher base Speed, and Attack, and STAB Outrage.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The best counter to Gyarados is Porygon-2 holding the Evolution Stone. Porygon-2 can Trace back Gyarados’ Intimidate, shrug off a Waterfall, and severely damage Gyarados with Discharge or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types like Vaporeon can also switch into Gyarados easily and either cripple it with a Burn from Boiling Water (Scald) or threaten Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. Without Bounce, Gyarados also has a difficult time getting past bulky Grass-types like Nattorei (Ferrothorn). Faster Pokemon carrying Electric-type attacks like (such as) Starmie, Rotom-W, and Lati@s are also huge threats to Gyarados. Rotom-W in particular is an effective answer to Gyarados since it resists Waterfall, Earthquake, and Bounce.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Gyarados receives Overconfidence (Moxie) as a Dream World ability, which works best on offensive sets, while defensive and bulky Gyarados sets prefer Intimidate.</p>[/QUOTE]

I think Napdos (TMlol) should be mentioned in this thread, though probably not in the analysis itself, but rather as something else to consider.

This set is extremely scary when Electric-type attacks are not a threat; thus, in the late game, with a team built to help Gyarados succeed (especially in the new Gen where we can see our opponent's Pokemon before the battle, and thus can figure out what to be worried about and what not to be), it is especially frightening to face.

Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/28 Atk/72 SpD/160 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall / EQ
- Bounce / Ice Fang
- Rest

sorry to bump this, but I just wanted to share an EV spread that I've had loads of success with fore an offensive dancer.

Gyarados
ability: Moxie
nature: Jolly
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Att / 168 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge / Bounce
-Earthquake / Bounce

Since Moxie already provides attack boost, I use a Jolly nature so that after a DD base 130s are outsped. Attack is maximised to provide maximum damage output, while the rest is dumped into HP to allow Gyarados to take hits better and make use of his excellent resistances. The standard offensive dancer, while initially more powerful, can get worn down EXTREMELY quickly through SR, LO recoil and weather. Also, with the added survivability, Gyarados has a much higher chance to obtain more than one DD.

sorry to bump this, but I just wanted to share an EV spread that I've had loads of success with fore an offensive dancer.

Gyarados
ability: Moxie
nature: Jolly
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Att / 168 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge / Bounce
-Earthquake / Bounce

Since Moxie already provides attack boost, I use a Jolly nature so that after a DD base 130s are outsped. Attack is maximised to provide maximum damage output, while the rest is dumped into HP to allow Gyarados to take hits better and make use of his excellent resistances. The standard offensive dancer, while initially more powerful, can get worn down EXTREMELY quickly through SR, LO recoil and weather. Also, with the added survivability, Gyarados has a much higher chance to obtain more than one DD.
This is in the GP stage, no other sets should be added. There isn't many threats at 130 base Speed you need to worry about (Aerodactyl, Jolteon, and Crobat are all pretty uncommon). Not much reason to use it over the Dragon Dance sets already up there. The 168 EVs in Speed can be mentioned in some other section for reference maybe.

I've implemented most of the changes Tobes suggested, and I also fixed the formating errors with Other Options, Team Options, and Checks and Counters.

If QC wants the sets mentioned after this analysis was approved to be included, I will gladly oblige.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just saying in the overview u state he has solid 95/ 79/ 100 defenses and in the rest talk set u say he has 90 / 79 / 100 ...no idea how to quote something so im just stating

why not

rest
sleep talk
roar
dragon tail

waterfall coming from a 0 atk IVs is not goin to do much. You are better off racking entry hazard damage

Sorry if I'm being rather picky, but I noticed that you use the word "excellent" quite a bit, mostly in your overview, where you used it three times in one paragraph. I suggest you change one or two, but again, it may just be that I'm picky :S

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
changes in bold

Gyarados

[Overview]

<p>While Gyarados received a few new toys in Generation 5, it remains a top-tier threat. With excellent Water-type STAB, combined with a massive 125 base attack, two excellent abilities in Intimidate and Moxie, and Dragon Dance make Gyarados a superb physical sweeper. On the other hand, solid 95 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats coupled with Intimidate and excellent defensive typing allow Gyarados to serve as a formidable physical check. However, the abundance of powerful physical sweepers such as Excadrill and Conkeldurr somewhat overshadow Gyarados in a sweeping role. Nevertheless, Gyarados is a top-tier threat that makes a great addition to most teams.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Waterfall

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent defensive typing, with key resistances to Fire-, Bug-, Ground-, Water-, Fighting- and Steel-type attacks, Intimidate, and decent 90 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats allow Gyarados to function as an excellent Resttalker. Rest is useful for Gyarados to recover from both direct and passive damage, while Sleep Talk prevents Gyarados from being dead weight while asleep. Rest also cures Gyarados of status, so that it can better take on Dusclops, Jellicent, and Heatran. The substantial investment in bulk allows Gyarados to easily take on common threats like Heatran, Scrafty, and Scizor.</p>

<p>Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB-move to hurt frail or Water-weak foes. Roar and Dragon Tail both let Gyarados phaze opponents. Dragon Tail is useful since it cannot be Taunted and deals minor damage, but Roar is more reliable and deals with Substitute users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Gyarados’ physical bulk, while also allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock five times. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature allows Gyarados to take special attacks more easily, whilst still allowing it to check physical threats like Lucario and Scizor.</p>

<p>This set cannot deal with faster Pokemon with Electric-type STAB, However. Pokemon like Zapdos, Jolteon, Voltorus, and Rotom-W are all capable of hitting Gyarados with STAB Thunderbolt and easily OHKOing it. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon are able to hit Gyarados with a super-effective Hidden Power Electric, should they be allowed to switch in. This Gyarados works best with entry hazard support. Ferrothorn is an excellent partner for Gyarados, as it resists Gyarados’ weaknesses in Rock- and Electric-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Ferrothorn’s weaknesses to Fire- and Fighting-type attacks. Ferrothorn is also capable of setting up valuable entry hazards such as Stealth Rock or Spikes. Gyarados also appreciates team-mates that can spin away Stealth Rock, such as Starmie and Excadrill.</p>

[SET]
ability: Moxie / Intimidate

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent offensive stats backed by Dragon Dance and Water-typing allow Gyarados to deal significant damage to unprepared teams. With a neutral nature, Gyarados hits 391 Speed after one Dragon Dance, allowing it to outspeed positive-nature base 120s. With Life Orb and one Dragon Dance, Gyarados hits incredibly hard with Waterfall. Stone Edge provides great coverage, allowing Gyarados to hit Flying-types such as Salamence, Dragonite, Zapdos, and opposing Gyarados hard. Earthquake gives Gyarados a shot at hitting Ferrothorn and Empoleon, while Bounce can be used to nail bulky Grass-types for super effective damage.</p>

<p>Moxie is the preferred ability as it allows Gyarados to gain Attack boosts from KO’ing foes, although Intimidate gives Gyarados more options to switch in, such as against Scizor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed positive base Speed 130s after a Dragon Dance. Ice Fang can be used in lieu of Stone Edge to maintain the super effective hit against Flying-types, while smashing Grass- and Dragon-types for super-effective damage.</p>

<p>This set is primarily countered by bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon and Suicune, who take laughable damage from Stone Edge and can scare Gyarados away with super effective Electric-type Hidden Power or threaten it with a Burn from Scald. Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Tangrowth can switch in and either Paralyze Gyarados or hit it with STAB Grass-type attacks. Porygon-2, Dusclops, Skarmory, and Swampert can all avoid being 2HKO’d by Gyarados without a Dragon Dance and either Status it, KO it, or phaze it away. Gyarados is also easily revenge-killed by faster, Choice Scarfed Pokemon such as Latias, Latios, and Starmie. The best partners to this Gyarados are Pokemon that can take advantage of bulky Water- and Grass-types. Once again, Ferrothorn is an excellent partner, being able to switch freely into Water-types and set up entry hazards or retaliate with Power Whip. Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Scizor are useful for KOing Choice Scarfed Latias, Latios, and Starmie.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set trades immediate power and Speed for additional bulk, allowing Gyarados to set up on the likes of Scizor, Lucario, and Conkeldurr and procure several Dragon Dances before attempting a sweep. Taunt allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon that normally give it trouble, such as Skarmory, and protects Gyarados from harmful status effects coming from Pokemon like Dusclops and Blissey. Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB-move, and Stone Edge gives decent neutral coverage and the ability to hit Flying-types like Dragonite and Zapdos hard. Alternatively, Gyarados can opt to run Bounce over Stone Edge to get a super-effective hit on bulky Grass-types and a neutral hit on Ferrothorn while gaining additional Leftovers recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread provides Gyarados with a harmonious blend of power and survivability. 156 HP EVs allow Gyarados to survive two Life Orb Heatran Fire Blasts after Stealth Rock. 96 Defense EVs allow Gyarados to avoid a 2HKO by Quick Attack by Choice Band Scizor. 184 EVs in Speed means Gyarados will outspeed positive-nature base Speed 115s after a Dragon Dance. The rest are put into Attack to increase Gyarados’ power. Alternatively, an EV spread of 152 HP / 168 Def / 188 Spe allows Gyarados to set up against strong physical sweepers like Conkeldurr easier.</p>

<p>This set works significantly better with Rapid Spin support. Starmie and Excadrill are excellent offensive partners for this reason. Excadrill also resists both of Gyarados’ weaknesses to Electric- and Rock-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Excadrill’s weaknesses to Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks. Once again, entry hazard support aids Gyarados immensely in sweeping. Ferrothorn is an excellent setter of entry hazards thanks to its type synergy with Gyarados. Like the Offensive variant, Gyarados has trouble with bulky Water-types like Vaporeon, who can either Burn Gyarados with Scald or severely damage it with Hidden Power Electric. Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn also make life difficult for Gyarados. Finally, Porygon-2 remains a thorn in Gyarados’ side, taking pitiful damage from Waterfall and threatening back with Electric-type attacks. Carrying Pokemon that can switch into these aforementioned threats, such as Ferrothorn for bulky Water-types, Heatran for bulky Grass-types, and Fighting-types for Porygon-2 helps tremendously in aiding Gyarados' sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>On either of the Dragon Dance sets, Gyarados has several items that it can make great use of. Wacan Berry can allow Gyarados to survive a strong Electric-type attack and hopefully get in another Dragon Dance. Similarly, Lum Berry can be used to cure an untimely status effect, particularly a Burn from Scald.</p>

<p>Aqua Tail can be used in lieu of Waterfall for a slight increase in power, but Waterfall’s perfect accuracy and chance to Flinch the foe more often than not outweigh this. Return is a viable coverage move, as the combination of Water and Normal is resisted only by Empoleon, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, and Shedinja in OU. Thunder Wave is another option, which allows Gyarados to neuter its usual checks that rely on Speed such as Rotom-W, Starmie, Latias, and Latios. Finally, Gyarados has access to a wide range of special moves including Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump, but its abysmal Special Attack means that these attacks should be avoided.</p>

<p>A Choice Band set with Waterfall, Payback, Stone Edge, and Earthquake allows Gyarados to hit extremely hard right off the bat, but the prevalence of residual damage in the form of Sandstorm and Stealth Rock really hinder its survivability. Similarly, Gyarados can opt to run a Choice Scarf set with Moxie, but this set is mostly outclassed by Salamence due to Salamence’s higher base Speed and Attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best counter to Gyarados is Porygon-2 holding the Evolution Stone. Porygon-2 can Trace back Gyarados’ Intimidate, shrug off a Waterfall, and severely damage Gyarados with Discharge or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types like Vaporeon can also switch into Gyarados easily and either cripple it with a Burn from Scald or threaten Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. Without Bounce, Gyarados also has a difficult time getting past bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn. Faster Pokemon carrying Electric-type attacks such as Starmie, Rotom-W, Latias, and Latios are also huge threats to Gyarados. Rotom-W in particular is an effective answer to Gyarados since it resists Waterfall, Earthquake, and Bounce.</p>

<p>Gyarados is not a fan of residual damage. Offensive sets are limited in their ability to switch in due to Gyarados' 2x weakness to Stealth Rock. Defensive sets have a harder time walling certain threats if Stealth Rock is present. Sandstorm also takes its toll on Gyarados, dealing residual damage to variants without Leftovers and negating the recovery of sets that carry Leftovers.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Gyarados receives Moxie as a Dream World ability, which works best on offensive sets, while defensive and bulky Gyarados sets prefer Intimidate.</p>

The EV spread provides Gyarados with a harmonious blend of power and survivability. 156 HP EVs allow Gyarados to survive two Life Orb Heatran Fire Blasts after Stealth Rock. 96 Defense EVs allow Gyarados to avoid a 2HKO by Quick Attack by Choice Band Scizor. 184 EVs in Speed means Gyarados will outspeed positive-nature base Speed 115s after a Dragon Dance. The rest are put into Attack to increase Gyarados’ power. Alternatively, an EV spread of 152 HP / 168 Def / 188 Spe allows Gyarados to set up against strong physical sweepers like Conkeldurr more easily.</p>
This might seem extremely nit-picky, but I was bored and playing around with a pokemon damage calculator. Anyway, after much testing, I have found 144 HP / 176 Def / 188 Spe, to be a hair more physically bulky. I was using a ghetto pokemon calculator though, so I might be wrong. Can someone verify this?

I do realize this might mean you would be 2HKOed by a fire blast from heatran, but the idea of the alternative spread is to take physical hits better, and besides, its only 2 HP points, you might be 2HKOed now 5% of the time, and honestly I am not worried about that.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Change
Delete
While not needed, these are recommended content additions I'm suggesting. I'd recommend adding them.

Gyarados

[Overview]

<p>While Gyarados received few new toys in BW, the sheer speed and power of BW's OU metagame will likely prevent Gyarados from taking a spot amongst the top 10 used Pokemon. Despite its fall in popularity as a sweeper, it remains a top-tier threat. An excellent offensive typing in Water combined with a massive 125 base attack, two excellent abilities in Intimidate and Moxie, and Dragon Dance make Gyarados a superb physical sweeper offensive threat. Unfortunately, the presence of incredibly fast threats like Chlorophyll abusers, Prankster abusers, Deoxys-S and Excadrill really put a damper on Gyarados's performance as a sweeper.

More noteworthy in BW,
are Gyarados's the other hand, solid 95 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats, coupled with backed by Intimidate and excellent defensive typing. In a metagame saturated with Fighting attacks and Earthquake users, allow Gyarados to serve as a finds a new niche as a formidable check to physical threats. Despite its fall in popularity as a sweeper, it remains a top-tier threat that makes a great addition to most teams. However, the abundance of powerful physical sweepers such as Excadrill and Conkeldurr somewhat overshadow Gyarados in a sweeping role. Nevertheless, Gyarados is a top-tier threat that makes a great addition to most teams.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Waterfall

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent defensive typing, with key resistances to Fire-, Bug-, Ground-, Water-, Fighting- and Steel-type attacks, Intimidate, and decent 90 / 79 / 100 base defensive stats allow Gyarados to function as an excellent Resttalker RestTalk user. Rest is useful for Gyarados to recover from both direct and passive damage allows Gyarados to shrug off damage and status, while Sleep Talk prevents Gyarados from being dead weight while asleep. Rest also cures Gyarados of status, so that it can better The ability to shed status conditions is a huge boon to Gyarados when taking on Gliscor, Jellicent, and Heatran. The substantial investment in bulk allows Gyarados to easily take on repeatedly check common threats like Blaziken, Heatran, Scrafty, and Scizor.</p>

<p>Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB-move. Even without Attack investment, the STAB boost combined with Gyarados's innate offensive prowess will allow Waterfall to bring down frail sweepers and foes weak to Water. to hurt frail or Water-weak foes Roar and Dragon Tail both let Gyarados phaze opponents. Dragon Tail is useful since it cannot be Taunted unaffected by Taunt and deals minor damage, but Roar is more reliable and deals with Substitute users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Gyarados's physical bulk, while also allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock five times. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD with a Careful nature allows Gyarados to take special attacks more easily, while still allowing it to check physical threats like Lucario and Scizor.</p>

<p>This set has problems with faster users of Electric-type attacks. Thundurus, Zapdos, Jolteon, Voltorus, and Rotom-W are all capable of hitting can all attack Gyarados with STAB Thunderbolt and OHKO it. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon are able to hit Gyarados with a super-effective Hidden Power Electric, should they be allowed to switch in. This Gyarados works best with entry hazard support. Ferrothorn is an excellent partner for Gyarados, as it resists Gyarados's weaknesses in Rock- and Electric-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Ferrothorn's weaknesses to Fire- and Fighting-type attacks. Ferrothorn is also capable of setting up valuable entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes. Gyarados also appreciates teammates that can spin away Stealth Rock, such as Starmie and Excadrill.</p>

[SET]
ability: Moxie / Intimidate

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Excellent offensive stats backed by Dragon Dance and Water-typing allow Gyarados to deal significant damage to unprepared teams. With a neutral nature, Gyarados hits 391 Speed after one Dragon Dance, allowing it to outspeed positive-nature base 120 base Speed foes. With Life Orb and one Dragon Dance, Gyarados hits incredibly hard with Waterfall. Stone Edge provides great coverage, allowing Gyarados to hit Flying-types such as Salamence, Dragonite, Zapdos, and opposing Gyarados hard. Earthquake gives Gyarados a shot at hitting Ferrothorn and Empoleon, while Bounce can be used to nail bulky Grass-types for super effective damage.</p>

<p>Moxie is the preferred ability as it allows Gyarados to gain Attack boosts from KO’ing foes by defeating foes. Alternatively, Intimidate gives Gyarados more opportunities to switch in, notably against enemy Scizor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature can be used to outspeed positive base Speed 130 Pokemon after a Dragon Dance. Ice Fang can be used in lieu of Stone Edge to maintain the super effective hit against Flying-types, while smashing Grass- and Dragon-types for super-effective damage.</p>

<p>This set is primarily countered by bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon and Suicune, who take laughable damage from Stone Edge and can scare Gyarados away with super effective Electric-type Hidden Power Electric or threaten it with a burn from Scald. Rotom-W is also a fantastic check with its resistance to Water, immunity to Ground, considerable bulk, and STAB Thunderbolt. Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Tangrowth can switch in and either Paralyze Gyarados or hit it with STAB Grass-type attacks. Porygon-2, Dusclops, Skarmory, and Swampert can all avoid being 2HKOed by Gyarados without a Dragon Dance and either Status it, KO it, or phaze it away. Gyarados is also easily revenge-killed by faster, Choice Scarfed Pokemon users such as Latios and Starmie. The best partners to this Gyarados are Pokemon that can take advantage of bulky Water- and Grass-types enemies. Once again, Ferrothorn is an excellent partner, being able to switch freely into Water-types and set up entry hazards or retaliate with Power Whip. Just be careful against enemies that may carry Hidden Power Fire as a nasty surprise, usually Water-types with considerable base Special Attack like Starmie and Rotom-W. Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Scizor are useful for trapping Choice Scarfed Latios, Latias and Starmie. Scizor can also be used to defeat Deoxys-S.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set trades immediate power and Speed for additional bulk, allowing Gyarados to set up on the likes of Scizor, Lucario, and Conkeldurr and procure several Dragon Dances before attempting a sweep. Taunt allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon that normally give it trouble, such as Skarmory, and protects Gyarados from harmful status moves coming from Pokemon like Dusclops and Blissey. Waterfall provides Gyarados with a reliable STAB-move, and Stone Edge gives decent neutral coverage and the ability to hit Flying-types like Dragonite and Zapdos hard. Alternatively, Gyarados can opt to run Bounce over Stone Edge to get a super-effective hit on most bulky Grass-types and a neutral hit on Ferrothorn. The turn used to Bounce also lets Gyarados gain while gaining additional Leftovers recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread provides Gyarados with an impressive harmonious blend of power and survivability. 156 HP EVs allow Gyarados to survive two Life Orb Heatran Fire Blasts from Heatran after Stealth Rock. 96 Defense EVs allow Gyarados to avoid a 2HKO by from Quick Attack by Choice Band Scizor. 184 EVs in Speed means Gyarados will allow Gyarados to outspeed positive-nature base Speed 115 enemies after a Dragon Dance. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack to increase Gyarados’ power. Alternatively, an EV spread of 152 HP / 168 Def / 188 Spe allows Gyarados to set up against strong physical sweepers like Conkeldurr more easily.</p>

<p>This set works significantly better with Rapid Spin support. Starmie and Excadrill are excellent offensive partners for this reason that can provide Rapid Spin support. Excadrill also resists both of Gyarados's weaknesses to Electric- and Rock-type attacks, while Gyarados resists Excadrill's weaknesses to Fire-, Fighting-, and Water-type attacks. Once again, entry hazard support aids Gyarados immensely in sweeping. Ferrothorn is an excellent supplier of entry hazard support thanks to its type synergy with Gyarados. Like the offensive variant, Gyarados has trouble with bulky Water-types like Vaporeon, who can either burn Gyarados with Scald or severely damage it with Hidden Power Electric. Rotom-W completely counters this set due to Gyarados's lower Attack investment. Without Bounce, bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn also make life difficult for Gyarados. Finally, Porygon2 remains a thorn in Gyarados's side, taking pitiful damage from Waterfall and threatening to bring Gyarados down with Electric-type attacks. Carrying Pokemon that can switch into these aforementioned threats, such as Ferrothorn for bulky Water-types, Heatran for bulky Grass-types, and bulky Fighting-types for Porygon-2 helps tremendously in aiding a Gyarados sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>On either of the Dragon Dance sets, Gyarados has several items that it can make great use of there are several potential alternative items. Wacan Berry can allow Gyarados to survive a strong Electric-type attack and hopefully get in another Dragon Dance. Similarly, Lum Berry can be used to cure an untimely status effect, particularly a burn from Scald.</p>

<p>Aqua Tail can be used instead of Waterfall for a slight increase in power, but Waterfall's perfect accuracy and chance to flinch the foe more often than not outweigh this generally make it the superior option. Return is a viable coverage move, as the combination of Water and Normal is resisted only by Empoleon, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, and Shedinja in OU. Thunder Wave is another option a generally good move Gyarados can use, which allows Gyarados to neuter its and lets it neuter its usual checks that rely on Speed such as Rotom-W, Starmie, and Latios. Finally, Gyarados has access to a wide range of special moves including Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump, but its abysmal Special Attack means that these attacks should be avoided.</p>

<p>A Choice Band set with Waterfall, Payback, Stone Edge, and Earthquake allows Gyarados to hit extremely hard right off the bat, but the prevalence of residual damage in the form of its vulnerability to the common sources of residual damage, Sandstorm and Stealth Rock, really hinder its survivability. Similarly, Gyarados can opt to run a Choice Scarf set with Moxie, but this set is mostly outclassed usually best left to by Salamence due to Salamence's higher base Speed and Attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best counter to Gyarados is Porygon2 holding the Evolution Stone. Porygon2 can Trace back Gyarados's Intimidate, shrug off a Waterfall, and severely damage Gyarados with Discharge or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types like Vaporeon can also switch into Gyarados easily and either cripple it with a burn from Scald or threaten Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. Without Bounce, Gyarados also has a difficult time getting past bulky Grass-types like Ferrothorn. Faster Pokemon carrying Electric-type attacks such as Starmie and Rotom-W, and Lati@s are also huge threats to Gyarados. Rotom-W in particular is an effective answer to Gyarados since it resists Waterfall, Earthquake, and Bounce. Latios and Latias can similarly check Gyarados, and while they rarely carry Thunderbolt, their STAB Dragon-type attacks are still a huge threat to Gyarados.</p>

<p>Gyarados is not a fan of residual damage. Offensive sets are limited in their ability to switch in due to Gyarados' 2x weakness to Stealth Rock. Defensive sets have a harder time walling certain threats if Stealth Rock is present. Sandstorm also takes its toll on Gyarados, dealing residual damage to variants without Leftovers and negating the recovery of sets that carry Leftovers wearing it down or removing its Leftovers recovery.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Gyarados receives Moxie as a Dream World ability, which works best on offensive sets, while defensive and bulky Gyarados sets prefer Intimidate.</p>
Dream World section isn't needed for Pokemon that already have their Dream World abilities.

GP Check 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)