What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

Why is Bisharp not on the list? It's selling point are a strong Sucker Punch and unique typing, but neither of these things are enough of a reason to me. Absol has more power behind its Suckerpunch, and offers more versatility overall. Bisharp may have more physical Defense, but that's pretty much a moot point when you consider the prevalence of Mach Punch and Earthquake, not to mention the plethora of Fire-type moves available (and used for Forretress and Ferrothorn) that can easily take down Bisharp (many of which are Special-based anyways.) I'm not arguing for Absol's addition to OU; I'm arguing for Bisharp's removal from the tier. A unique typing isn't enough to automatically merit a spot in the OU environment. Bisharp is too slow, frail, and vulnerable to common attacks.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Bisharp not on the list? It's selling point are a strong Sucker Punch and unique typing, but neither of these things are enough of a reason to me. Absol has more power behind its Suckerpunch, and offers more versatility overall. Bisharp may have more physical Defense, but that's pretty much a moot point when you consider the prevalence of Mach Punch and Earthquake, not to mention the plethora of Fire-type moves available (and used for Forretress and Ferrothorn) that can easily take down Bisharp (many of which are Special-based anyways.) I'm not arguing for Absol's addition to OU; I'm arguing for Bisharp's removal from the tier. A unique typing isn't enough to automatically merit a spot in the OU environment. Bisharp is too slow, frail, and vulnerable to common attacks.
You've obviously never used Bisharp before.

You've obviously never used Bisharp before.
No, but I've never once had a problem handling it and defeat it with ease. Sometimes it's legitimate to argue the validity or invalidity of a Pokemon based on the problems (or lack there of) that your team may have with it. I have never had any issue disposing of Bisharp, and rarely even lose a team member to it.

breh

強いだね
Bisharp does have niche use. I'm not saying it's god, but its priority move is powerful with a Swords Dance under its belt. Using Brick Break sucks but it can't be that bad can it?

The steel typing also helps (again, I'm not saying it's a blessing; dark is a really shitty pair type anyway but it does get nice resistances).

Optimally, a set would be Brick Break/Sucker Punch/Swords Dance/filler (probably taunt).

(on a side note, the biggest problem I've had with was one time when a lot of my team was weakened; at +2, it could kill most of my pokemon... however, the person playing it was terrible, so I can't say much)

No, but I've never once had a problem handling it and defeat it with ease. Sometimes it's legitimate to argue the validity or invalidity of a Pokemon based on the problems (or lack there of) that your team may have with it. I have never had any issue disposing of Bisharp, and rarely even lose a team member to it.
They were obviously using wrong then. Bisharp is a monster.

Perhaps you've been dealing with noobs, because in the right hands, Bisharp is lethal.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Assuming that DW is released, I wonder why Serperior isnt given a mention?

Serperior@Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain
- Substitute

I wonder if this has been suggested before but Leaf Storm boosting your SpA 2 levels instead of decreasing it cannot be ignored. Its base 113 speed allows you to outspeed stuff like Lati@s and the musketeers so this set is still useful.

Perhaps you've been dealing with noobs, because in the right hands, Bisharp is lethal.
As is many other Pokemon in the game. Why do people keep using the "your opponents just sucked" line?

Actually, I think he has brought up a good point about Bisharp. It's my first breeding project in fact, and though I'm exicted to eventually nab a good one in the future for competitive use, I always worry about how much trouble it'll run into. It's slow and its HP is average, meaning that 100 base defense is really only good for using Swords Dance.

The analysis is pretty much good to go I believe, so it doesn't matter really.

@ Bisharp: STAB SD'd Sucker Punch pretty much nukes anything that doesn't resist it. The SD boost itsself isn't that hard to get, as steel/dark is pretty nice typing defensively except for ground/fighting, both of which are common but easily avoidable by your typical bulky flying-type. It can come in on weaker dragon type attacks, grass attacks, many psychic types (and maybe stall out FB cus the chances of that hitting 4 times in a row are, well.. Small), ghost type attacks.. More than enough forcing the switch that provides time for a SD or a sub, depending on your opponents. Surely you have to kill the opponent's fighter before getting any chance to kill it, but just about any fighting resist can do that job.

This is probably just me trollin', but here goes. I propose for Klang to be taken off the list. :3

Why on earth would I do that? Simply put, he's actually a decent Trick Room supporter.

Klang
@ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe) (0 Speed IV)
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Gear Grind
- Toxic / Sandstorm

With the above spread, Klang has 324 / 372 / 404 defenses and a paltry 94 speed. After using Trick Room and tanking a hit with one of his many resistances, he can pull a fast Volt Switch on the opponent and get a Trick Room sweeper in quickly, an advantage which Porygon2 cannot boast. Gear Grind hits harder than Porygon2's Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, whilst Klang's movepool is so bad that status is the only other option, unless you fancy some weak coverage attacks. Sandstorm lets you switch the weather, which is handy I suppose?

The main disadvantage over Porygon2 is that he lacks Recover and a decent ability. But hey, who thought Klang would be any good anyways.

This is probably just me trollin', but here goes. I propose for Klang to be taken off the list. :3

Why on earth would I do that? Simply put, he's actually a decent Trick Room supporter.

Klang
@ Eviolite
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Gear Grind
- Toxic / Sandstorm

With the above spread, Klang has 324 / 372 / 404 defenses and a paltry 94 speed. After using Trick Room and tanking a hit with one of his many resistances, he can pull a fast Volt Switch on the opponent and get a Trick Room sweeper in quickly, an advantage which Porygon2 cannot boast. Gear Grind hits harder than Porygon2's Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, whilst Klang's movepool is so bad that status is the only other option, unless you fancy some weak coverage attacks. Sandstorm lets you switch the weather, which is handy I suppose?

The main disadvantage over Porygon2 is that he lacks Recover and a decent ability. But hey, who thought Klang would be any good anyways.
Surely you mean Klinklang.

And Bisharp is easily outpredicted and taken care of. Is he dangerous when he is set up? Yes. That doesn't make him automatically OU-viable. I see why he may be considered OU right now, but I'm sure that he will eventually fall down to BL or even UU, just like Heracross did.

Klinklang already has an analysis, lol. Plus he's too fast to use Trick Room effectively, whilst also not being anywhere near as bulky as Klang with Eviolite.

-snip-
Klang @ Eviolite
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Gear Grind
- Toxic / Sandstorm
-snip-
Sooo... Sandstorm deserves a slash? XD That's a pretty poor movepool then... I mean, toxic can do something mildly usefull - punishing groundtypes - but Sandstorm.. Naw.

TBH I'd say we're being generous giving Klinklang an OU analysis. Klang just sucks, even with Eviolite. Eviolite doesn't automatically break every second stage, y'know.

Bisharp is a tough case. He's got good physical defenses and stellar attack going for him, but that's wrecked by his horrendous 4x weakness against Fighting and poor Speed. Sucker Punch hurts, but it can be wasted. Plus his type is hardly great offensively; Steel and Dark are hardly good coverage STABs. I don't really think he'll last in OU.

Also... I looooove Galvantula, but something tells me he will probably fall to BL or UU as well. Volcarona does almost everything he does better. If only his Sp. Atk. were higher, or if he at least had half-decent defenses.

breh

強いだね
Klang can't use TR.

I was disappointed too. ;_;

(before anybody suggests TR Klingklang, Jirachi is more or less the same thing and far better)

For what it's worth, I've used Bisharp to great effect. The key is to bring it in later in the game and sub on something that can't kill it.

A better secondary move would be nice but I would argue it is definite OU.

Edit: I'd also argue Altaria is worth an analysis as a special tank. Cotton Guard gives it a niche use over Dragonite in that role.

What make Bisharp so good? I've never used Bisharp but I have used Sucker Punch Absol and that worked to a great effect so I'm wondering what makes Bisharp better than Absol for Swords Dance Sucker Punch

What make Bisharp so good? I've never used Bisharp but I have used Sucker Punch Absol and that worked to a great effect so I'm wondering what makes Bisharp better than Absol for Swords Dance Sucker Punch
Resisting two of the most common attacking types (Ghost, Dragon) does help Bisharp.

I think Clamperl may deserve a mention, however It's generally outlclassed by Gorebyss, however, it is still slightly more than powerful Gorebyss (even LO Gorebyss), I will investigate, if it gets any more notable Kos over Gorebyss, with Hidden Power, and Ice Beam, since Gorebyss gets Hydro Pump. I do think that Clamperl is usable in OU since after a Shell Break it outspeeds even the the Base 111s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)