np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I should've clarified...Ground types can switch into Thundrus and then prediction can go from there. You can switch into a Ghost or something for Focus Blast.

But then your team is taking unnecessary hazard damage, not to mention that Thundy can still KO your ghost with LO T-bolt :L

Btw, prediction goes both ways. Try not to use it in an argument.

I'm not going to say that rain isn't insanely good...after running a rain team in Gen IV to a success rating of my liking, I can't say it's not the best weather condition around. Then again, it also seems weird to say that Fire types aren't viable because of rain alone when usage statistics show that sandstorm is the dominant weather team archetype by a mile. That being said, Mishra, you bring up a good point too; my Gen IV rain team contained Scizor just because of how much harder it is to get rid of it without such a huge Fire weakness.

I was just going to poke my head in to say that PO shouldn't have rating numbers at all since people care more about their numbers than their ratings, but now that I'm here...SupaChinChin, do you really think that Infernape is suddenly completely worthless without its Fire move?
Of course not, I never said anything like that. But it is much, much worse. I was just trying to say that Fire types in general are much less viable. I can assure you that Infernape would jump up in usage should Drizzle be banned.

How exactly does Donphan get taken out with Sturdy and access to Stone Edge and ice Shard?
Its had sturdy since gen 3, the nature of the ability just changed.

My problem is thundurus isn't that its impossible to counter, no its perfectly possible to counter, buts its way to hard to counter or even check it most of the time. Sure with the right prediction, right moves, and a overall well prepared team, you can deal with it just fine. The thing is though you have to jump through hoops just to do that, screw up anywhere in the process, and its GG right there. Now being a naturally offensive pokemon, yes its not that easy to counter; but thundurus is different from other offensive pokemon, lets take Dragonite for example. Dragonite, with the right set can screw over any team with the right moves, but most of the times that is not the case, you will first have to play well, eliminate your checks and counters, then sweep. There is a stark difference between a pokemon which with the right moves can screw over any team, and a pokemon lacking specific checks and counters, that can screw over any team, the later of the 2 is what is generally considered Uber. I mean just because you have a Jellicent, or have the foresight to predict its moves, does not take away the fact that Kyorge is a ridiculously hard pokemon to deal with in OU.

Now I will admit, that Thundurus is no where in the same range as Kyorge, I mean stealth rocks screws the thing over plus its general frailty does make it much easier to deal with, but that should not discount many of the Uber factors in which this thing posses.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Something I haven't seen mentioned here is Baton Pass. With nigh-invincibility in Magic Bounce, Baton Pass teams have become even better in BW. I built a team that wasn't too different from ipl's and was able to ladder quite well with it. I won't say it's broken, but it is quite easy to win against unprepared players. With this in mind, should Baton Pass become more popular, I believe certain movesets may become more popular. One in particular would be Taunt Tyranitar. It's a very nifty Pokemon to use against Baton Pass teams since its powerful attacks can threaten almost every member of a Baton Pass team. A moveset consisting of Taunt, Crunch, Stone Edge, and Roar or Fire Blast (maybe Dragon Tail) demolishes my team, for example. Taunt prohibits them from passing any boosts, and since it directly threatens the two most crucial members of a typical Baton Pass team, Espeon and Ninjask, it's basically a free 6-0. Thundurus is also a major problem to some Baton Pass teams since it can Nasty Plot or Taunt while they try and switch around. Additionally, Special Defense is usually the last stat a team will attempt to boost, often opting to let Espeon itself Calm Mind, so if you can get Thundurus in early, the opponent will definitely have a tough time defeating it.

p.s. - is the smogon server down; i can't log on

Of course not, I never said anything like that. But it is much, much worse. I was just trying to say that Fire types in general are much less viable. I can assure you that Infernape would jump up in usage should Drizzle be banned.
Yeah. I don't really think it's a problem if a certain type is less viable than others though. Fire wasn't very viable in RBY OU either (although for a different reason), for example.

Yeah. The smashpass thing...for the next time the allowed-player must nominate the users ? How we can ban a combo without banning the combo ? I think it's fair to ban THAT combo. Every team must use a taunter (not always effective, thanks Espeon), a perish singer (Celebi, Politoed,...?) , a roarer (already: thanks Espeon) or an hazer (really !?). I know that the chomp ban is a loss for a smash-pass team but that's not a good argument for not ban that impressive combo.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Yeah. The smashpass thing...for the next time the allowed-player must nominate the users ? How we can ban a combo without banning the combo ? I think it's fair to ban THAT combo. Every team must use a taunter (not always effective, thanks Espeon), a perish singer (Celebi, Politoed,...?) , a roarer (already: thanks Espeon) or an hazer (really !?). I know that the chomp ban is a loss for a smash-pass team but that's not a good argument for not ban that impressive combo.
I was referring more to full-blown Baton Pass teams. Also, Haze and Perish Song can be Taunted so they won't always work

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is Baton Pass. With nigh-invincibility in Magic Bounce, Baton Pass teams have become even better in BW. I built a team that wasn't too different from ipl's and was able to ladder quite well with it. I won't say it's broken, but it is quite easy to win against unprepared players. With this in mind, should Baton Pass become more popular, I believe certain movesets may become more popular. One in particular would be Taunt Tyranitar. It's a very nifty Pokemon to use against Baton Pass teams since its powerful attacks can threaten almost every member of a Baton Pass team. A moveset consisting of Taunt, Crunch, Stone Edge, and Roar or Fire Blast (maybe Dragon Tail) demolishes my team, for example. Taunt prohibits them from passing any boosts, and since it directly threatens the two most crucial members of a typical Baton Pass team, Espeon and Ninjask, it's basically a free 6-0. Thundurus is also a major problem to some Baton Pass teams since it can Nasty Plot or Taunt while they try and switch around. Additionally, Special Defense is usually the last stat a team will attempt to boost, often opting to let Espeon itself Calm Mind, so if you can get Thundurus in early, the opponent will definitely have a tough time defeating it.

I have seen more of these teams since garchomp was banned, and I need to say, it is very hard to take them down.... I had to change add taunt and perish song on my gliscor and politoed, respectively, only to deal with these teams.... Definitely suspect worthy IMO

I was referring more to full-blown Baton Pass teams. Also, Haze and Perish Song can be Taunted so they won't always work
The NinjaskPass is not too dangerous, the real danger is smashpass.
Maybe it's too early to speak about that, i think that now the users must find a good recipent, the successor of Garchomp (not to hard).
The fact that perish and haze (even roar) are tauntable, is another fact that this combo is real suspect.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Its had sturdy since gen 3, the nature of the ability just changed.
The fuck are you saying? i said that Donphan is hardly deadweight as a ground type against Thunderus due to Sturdy blocking any OHKOs and access to Stome Edge and Ice Shard allowing it to kill Thunderus.

At any rate the post this was responding to is dead now so w/e.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Then why did you just list 2 extremely good counters to baton pass teams?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Why aren't more teams using Event Raikou? 100% accurate thunder, weatherball to tango with ground types, freeing up your hidden power slot. If you can spend the EVs elsewhere then Extremespeed isn't a terrible choice for right before you die.
I'd probably go SubCM with just Weatherball and Thunder since Rash Raikou is slower than the Lati twins anyway.

the problem with event raikou is that has to be rash
(PO teambuilder doesn't enforce this but smogon server has a serverside coding to prevent anything but legit nature raikou/suicune/entei from being used with those event moves on the ladder.)

and thus lose to anything faster than jolly base 100s without a scarf.

granted though event raikou is good the rain team i used does have raikou like that but has a scarfer or a specs user it's just not fast enough in the metagame to be relied on without a choice item.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They must be goats...when does Thundrus ever run Hammer Arm?
I can say that hammer arm thundurus is actually pretty awesonr and should get a bit more use. Anyway after laddering pretty hard today I noticed that sun, volcarona, and victini are all getting more use and that is pretty awesome. They all are pretty much cleaning up I wouldn't have expected chomp to hinder their use that much but I guess he did. Liking the current meta just as much as I did with chomp in it, but either way.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

just wanted to say im pissed as fuck that garchomp is banned... again... i finally got to use that sr lead scarfchomp and now its gone... why? i mean honestly people, if we are concerned about things with "swampert-esque" bulk that are placed in terrific speed tiers then why arent we banning terrakion? much better stab than garchomp imo, and scarf terrakion WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP. wow, some hax happened, BIG FUCKING DEAL! i cant tell you how many times gengar's focus blast has missed against tyranitar and i still get my dragon dance (yes, i use dd tar). i guess that means we should ban tyranitar also? this shit just pisses me off, the one thing that should have gone (if anything) is thundurus, as priority t-wave, sub, etc is a bitch. latios is really only a problem with the specs set and then there's pursuit for that. excadrill can be trolled with gyarados + charti berry (it works, trust me). deoxys-s has lolpaperthindefenses and cant really abuse its speed offensively. garchomp? well, base 102 speed really isnt as great as it used to be. hello, WE HAVE LATIOS THIS GENERATION, USE IT IF YOU REALLY CARE THAT MUCH!

if we are concerned about things with "swampert-esque" bulk that are placed in terrific speed tiers then why arent we banning terrakion?
I think you're missing the part were Terrakion has a ton of weaknesses due to its Rock-typing, while Garchomp has many less (and rarer) weaknesses.

Do some research before spitting this kind of bullshit, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)