Poll: Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

• Total voters
the problem is that smogon ou is weather. I do hate weather, Its on about half the teams I face and it pisses me off, but you cant take it away. A lot of people play it, and as others have said, it makes it like 4th gen. THIS IS FRIGGIN' 5TH GEN. GET OVER IT.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Permanent weather is like rising gas prices. It sucks, but we all have to deal with it.
That's an absolutely terrible attitude to have when there's the ability to change something.

"Garchomp sucks, but we have to deal with it"
"Skymin sucks, but we have to deal with it"
"Darkrai sucks, but we have to deal with it"

We didn't take that approach with anything else, so why I've seen more than a few people say it about weather just befuddles me ?_?

I'm going to have to go with the quit whining team, sure it can be annoying (sandstorm teams are my pet hates - at least rain doesn't deal damage). That being said I do think that a "clear-sky's" teir is a good idea (each to their own :-) If we just ban anything we dont like, then what will we end up with? /generic pokemon/ vs. /generic pokemon/ you might as well ban serene grace due to paraflinch (which bty is WAY more irritating ;-)

The advantages that most rain teams have are a better thunder, stronger water moves, and weaker fire moves. This effects the whole field, not your opponent alone. Therefore, you can fit a couple pokemon on your side of the field that can benefit from drizzle as well. I have been using DD Kingdra and whenever I face a rain team, I gets an immediate advantage. I also just found out that it learns disable, a perfect move to cripple pokemon. Yeah, kingdra is a beast.

I personally don't think the actual metagame is competitive and funny. It seems more like a battle to impose your weather; impose it and win. Sand, Rain, Sun teams are NOT original, interesting; they all are similiar and you rarely find differences between them. So I think Perma-weathers should be banned; it could help the metagame to evolve, to be more various and original players could develop DIFFERENT and funny strategies. I play 5th gen from a month and I'm yet terribly annoyed of this weather war.

I'm not the biggest fan of weather. I do belive if we were to ban it alot of strategy would go out the door, shure almost all weather teams are cookie cutter but sometimes you come across someone trying to do something new. I don't like weather necessarily but I also think it adds another element to team building and strategy.

Yes, it surely adds new elements to building (strategy? mmh lol), but once you know them, they never change. In addition to that, perma-weather kills a lot of REALLY interesting building and strategy elements.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lol people still post in this thread
Anyways, the closest thing to running nonweather imo is just running Scarf Politoed as a revenge killer to screw over every sand sweeper as well as revenge Thundurus and other things

If only there were the option:

"I would LOVE playing in Smogon University's OU."

Rarely is there the option to play OU without perma-weather.

Weather is a pain to prepare for and seriously restricts team strategy. The metagame would be much more diverse and fun to play without weather.

I'm not sure I like the deal with it arguements
Or its fouth gen again either
Were trying to make a better metagame
Not a sub par one that's different for the sake of being so
I think that if one weather goes they all have to
Even hail which makes me sad
Though I'm not convinced that's how it should be
I think if we ban tyrannitar that would solve most of the problems
Tyrannitar is by far the best weather inducer there is
He also rakes in a spec def boost from his own weather
Politoed and ninetails hardly abuse their own weather with such ability
Tyrannitar isn't that hard to beat or counter
But I feel that if he goes
The metagame will fan out
And other stratagies are useable
But that would leave drizzle unchecked
So I'm not sure
Prehaps a ferrothorn ban as well
Since he is a monster in the metagame
Though few are willing to believe it
And many are willing to abuse him

why is there no "i would start playing pokemon again" option

i'm surprised this topic is still active for so long even with that crystal clear bias

...yeah might as well at least try contributing aside from being a douche. you could say i'm strong in the opinion of "more than half of the ou players are biased in favor of weather" and in the opinion of "even though it's more than half of the playerbase, it's not representative at all", for the sole reason that most people that went against weather are long gone.

I feel it could go either way with banning perma-weather.

On one hand, no perma-weather means no easy weather abuse which leads to less weather everywhere. However, the metagame would obviously change to suit a different kind of abuse (what it is I don't know) in which we'd be complaining about something different entirely. The lack of drizzle and sun pretty much cancel each other out imo but the lack of sand and hail means that leftyz recovery would be harder to stop than just sending out ttar, life orb users have more survivability, and evolite users don't have to worry about weather damage. Lots of things would happen.

Honestly though, I'd play no matter what happens because I just happen to like pokemon :P

That's an absolutely terrible attitude to have when there's the ability to change something.

"Garchomp sucks, but we have to deal with it"
"Skymin sucks, but we have to deal with it"
"Darkrai sucks, but we have to deal with it"

We didn't take that approach with anything else, so why I've seen more than a few people say it about weather just befuddles me ?_?
Without weather I have a feeling that Garchomp wouldn't be UBER ever again. Really the only problem with him was his Sand Veil ability.

Without weather I have a feeling that Garchomp wouldn't be UBER ever again. Really the only problem with him was his Sand Veil ability.
I didn't really find that to be true
Even without a miss or two
Garchomp is far too powerful
I was playing him as a scarfed gravity sweeper
Or even a yache swords dancer
Or whatever
He was a huge force in the metagame that had to be eliminated

This.
It reminds me of all the people who absolutely hated Super Smash Bros. Brawl compared to Melee because it introduced an air game. Yeah, basically it wasn't EXACTLY THE SAME as Melee + new characters, so all the old "pros" didn't move on.

I mean, all the old "pros" found a cop-out for not learning a new game. But whatever, if you don't have fun, what's the point I guess.
I voted Other, because it really depends on what banning "permanent weather" really means, as well as what happens to the metagame afterwards. If the ban is only for Drizzle and Drought, I'll probably just quit Pokemon altogether until something major in the metagame changes (like the release of a new game) - I have no desire to take part in a metagame that's trying to backpedal its way back to Generation 4.
I've noticed a few poll options are missing; namely a "I don't care and will continue to play Smogon OU regardless" option, and I feel like most "Others" seem concentrated in "Let's not make OU Gen 4+", simply because the idea of going to other servers is laughable, but most people would still want to play pokemon.
I personally believe that it would be more than understandable and desireable to make an OU optional weather clause; not a whole new tier, but an option for or against weather specific to the player - similar to item clause.
My biggest issue with removing permaweather, I feel like weather as a whole would kind of dwindle, as I never saw much use of sun or rain prior. They would go back to being little more than slightly gimmicky trick-room teams - using a single undamaging attack to allow specifically tailored pokemon to outspeed their opponents for a few turns at a time. But with a pseudo-stab for a few types. That's not fun. Kingdra liked being better than Garchomp for once.

I didn't really find that to be true
Even without a miss or two
Garchomp is far too powerful
I was playing him as a scarfed gravity sweeper
Or even a yache swords dancer
Or whatever
He was a huge force in the metagame that had to be eliminated
But you can actually get rid of Garchomp rather easily in the 5th gen metagame but with Sand Veil you ALWAYS have a chance of missing in the most popular weather, Sandstorm.

Garchomp is powerful but can be taken down but not if he can evade every possible attack that can actually take him down.

What are you trying to hit Garchomp with, Blizzard? Even with Sand Veil, he's not going to evade every attack. Not even half of them. Maybe if you're lucky, but if you're playing a garchomp, you don't deserve to be. I like sandstorm because it offers passive damage and boosts rock-types. Garchomp is just an unfortunate association people can't resist to bring up. Back in Gen IV, I ran a sandstorm team without Garchomp or Tyranitar. No problems. Cradily is a beast.

Y E S!!

No more fucking Politoed, no more fucking Tyranitar, no more fucking Excadrill, only good teams without the shitty effect of the weather. OU without weather for a better world

Weather countering teams have become an art nowadays though.

If you don't use weather, you MUST learn to counter it.
If you DO use weather, you MUST have counters to all weathers.

I absolutely want weather gone. It opens up the game a lot more. I personally would still use Tyranitar without the Sand still, and then we can have Garchomp back too.

You know people, Weather really isn't that hard to use. And that is why people don't like it, it's "cheap", kinda like paraflinchrachi. What was that about the "Play to win" again? Oh right. We use strategies to WIN. So hey, is Tyranitar really that bad of a Pokémon that you can't afford a spot on a team for it while last gen you were happy to have Heatran, potentially another pokémon for rocks, a spinner and a spin blocker? Come on now. I know you heard it, but this is Gen V. It is different from Gen IV, and I think that is a good thing. Weather just happens to be what Gen V is all about, and it can also make for a very fun metagame, and it also allows some underdogs to shine - Politoed in OU? Who would have thought that last gen, right?
/rant

Ok, you know all that. I don't think that absence of weather "opens up the game", the most it opens up is the skies. If you ban weather, you take away a perfectly viable style of play that is easy to deal with if you know how to play and build teams. Yes teams in Gen V have to be prepared for weather, but do you seriously want to ban something because you don't feel like considering it when building a team?

tl,dr: Banning weather means banning a style of play and won't diversify the game.

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Absolutely.

I think a Weather Clause would be interesting, at least to see how many people would play OU without weather.

EDIT: I mean, how many would want to play without auto-weather as opposed to staying here because it's Smogon, as has been said in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)