VGC '11 World Championships - San Diego, US - August 14th - WON BY BlueCookies & kamz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying, a lot of people drove 10+ hours to attend Regionals/Nationals too! (Examples: The Arnolds and JRank are two that come to mind)

And although I know it is very difficult to qualify from a European country, it is just as hard in the United States. We have to go through the same single elimination tournament you guys have to go through just to even attend Nationals and get a chance to play for our World invites!

Also, this DEFINITELY does not apply to the European Masters, but from what I can really see, the Juniors (and even Seniors) divisions aren't that strong in Europe. Watching the final battles from some of those Regionals really made me cringe a bit. (No offense to those who did well in Europe, especially those part of Team Seniors - Plusle and 7014) They even admitted how little competition they had at their Regionals. The Juniors... I can't even take seriously. (Come on! For godness sake, he used Mienshao/Excadrill/Durant/Galvantula/Eelektross/Haxorus to win.) Once again, this does not apply to Masters!!

It's just upsetting that some excellent Juniors (such as Grace Arnold) who really deserve to win a trip can't win one due to a hard bracket and a poor invite system this year. (She had to play my brother in T8). If you ask me, a lot of our American Juniors (and probably Seniors too) would be able to do very well at European Regionals.

So the people I am staying with (chalkey and jeps) are leaving on Sunday, and my flight doesn't leave until Monday afternoon. Is there anyone who could put me up on Sunday night on a couch/floor/etc.? It would be greatly appreciated. Just a forewarning, provided that someone plays the role of enabler, I will likely be very sober that night.

Yeah Human the flights are $1300 each return from the UK. I can assure you that it costs much more to go to worlds from Europe than it does do go to nationals and worlds from the US.

I had to pay £750 each for 3 people flights only, that's about $1300, and on top of that the hotel bill for a week came to another $1500 with cut-rate hotel prices from a site that actually had them on sale.

Also, I can confirm the UK regionals had more like 500 people there (I think they turned back a couple of people, there were still people queueing for the area before the signups queue when I got in to play and I was pretty far through the line). The European events really aren't easier than the US regionals either. Given the difficulty in getting around in Europe I'd actually say they have very impressive turnouts. How it's so much more difficult to travel in Europe than America's something so noticeable even The Onion have written about it (was a column from the point of view of a dumb American arguing that it's easy to get about, can't find it but remember reading) so yeah.

Cool, thanks Huy. I wasn't aware that there was one for 2009 either (I was absent from the VGC world between 2008 and 2011) so it was helpful to see those. I had the one in the bottom-left for a while, but it met with an unfortunate end. The one in the top-right gives me an idea of what to spend my spare time doing at Worlds, if I happen to hang out with other Smogonites.
Huy missed one - 2008 Worlds:

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey guys how about we just accept that both the usa system and the european systems have their big flaws and traveling is not cheap at all because seriously this is a very stupid argument and quite frankly every post is just a rehash of previous ones

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Agreed. We are arguing over free prizes that TPCi is offering us in a free tournament that isn't necessarily benefitting them in anyway. Be grateful.

^^Pretty much what you guys said. I'm just glad the VGC even exists, otherwise I would have never got a chance to meet so many cool users+travel across the U.S. to places I would never dream on going to.

Worlds will never move to a different country at this rate. Why? You guys do not realize the VGC is not the big show, the TCG is. We are still a side event pretty much. The US has a larger TCG base than a lot of Europe so it's going to stay here, shit. Now everyone stop complaining about the system.

Worlds will never move to a different country at this rate. Why? You guys do not realize the VGC is not the big show, the TCG is. We are still a side event pretty much. The US has a larger TCG base than a lot of Europe so it's going to stay here, shit. Now everyone stop complaining about the system.
Not to mention that it is basically a vacation for the TPCi staff...Every year the TPCi staff have a pokemon golf tournament a week prior to the event, VERY nice staff dinners, and more. Worlds is their excuse for a vacation.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO PLAY IN WORLDS IF I WERE GOING TO PLAY IN WORLDS WHICH I AM NOT UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO PAY FOR ME

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO PLAY IN WORLDS IF I WERE GOING TO PLAY IN WORLDS WHICH I AM NOT UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO PAY FOR ME

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
;)

Let's just agree that they better change tournament organisation for both the U.S. and Europe for next year so stupid arguments like this won't be started by stupid trolls like me xD I know we should be grateful but we are also welcome to give feedback to TPCi and if there is a disparity in how qualifying for Worlds can be achieved it should be pointed out and I think we did that with our little "argument" here, even if it looked like bloody whining from my part out of frustration lol. In the TCG qualifying mode is the same for every country afaik so I think it would be only fair if they did that for VGC too (and yes I know VGC is just a side event).

So Swiss Nationals for both Europe and the US (and Asia too) where the U.S. gets an equal number of invites as Europe gets (16 invites, 8 paid trips for US and 16 invites, 8 paid trips for Europe) or Regionals (possibly Swiss too) whose top 2 get paid trips for Worlds directly + top4 invites.

Now everyone get mad at me lol
Last post about this discussion, now let's get back to the important stuff

idk, swiss seems like it could get unwieldy with 500+ people (although I also don't know how TCG does it)

I'd be more than happy with best of 3 for everyone everywhere at every level.

Since my dad isn't coming with us to Worlds anymore, the extra hotel room is back up for grabs for anyone that is interested. (Please note, it only goes from Friday - Sunday night rather than Thursday - Sunday night)

Once again, PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

Man, I clicked on this thread *right* as you said that and I don't even need a room anymore :/ Oh well, someone who needs it more will get it then.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey guys how about we just accept that both the usa system and the european systems have their big flaws and traveling is not cheap at all because seriously this is a very stupid argument and quite frankly every post is just a rehash of previous ones
+1. Needs reiterating. We'll just have to wait and see where TCPi put it next year. Is a shame to see so many unpaid invites going to waste.
Personally, if I get another invite, and I have the money, I'll make a holiday out of it again like I have this year. I get to play at Worlds, and go to Sea World. Win win.

Does anyone who has used hotwire to book flights before know how I can get my confirmation number again? I seem to have lost the original email. I sent the customer support an email last night and am awaiting a response from them, but if someone here knows it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would just wait until you get a response, if you've already booked it. This may sound like specious reasoning, but: I've been in the situation a couple times where I've lost a confirmation number and then arrived at the place it was necessary to have it, yet the persons there just said "No problem" and figured it out for me. Hopefully this will at least be a little comfort while you wait to receive a reply.

Is anyone else going to bring something for Smogonites/officials to sign? Huy's DS(es) inspired me.

I might be able to go for Lcq for worlds but all I need now is money which my family is mixing up now.(someone in my family (aunt) own us about 1000$ in us money so maybe able to go

I would just wait until you get a response, if you've already booked it. This may sound like specious reasoning, but: I've been in the situation a couple times where I've lost a confirmation number and then arrived at the place it was necessary to have it, yet the persons there just said "No problem" and figured it out for me. Hopefully this will at least be a little comfort while you wait to receive a reply.

Is anyone else going to bring something for Smogonites/officials to sign? Huy's DS(es) inspired me.
Yup, situation handled. =)

I dunno if I would get smogon signatures because I plan to see these people on a regular basis, but if I get something from the event I might have some Game Freak (depending on who they have there) dudes sign it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)