Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
"Moves that hit multiple Pokémon have their power reduced to 75% of their normal base power, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point." ~Bulbapedia
Alternatively, you can find this information posted on the Smogon Double Battle Article, written by muffinhead and Cassie.

In double battles, attacks that hit both opposing Pokemon are called spread attacks, and are only 75% of their usual base power. Spread attacks hit the teammate's Pokemon first, and then all of the opponent's Pokemon at the same time.
It's a great article; I recommend it to anyone looking to get into the world of doubles battles!

I would really like to figure out how to connect to the smogonwifi irc channel so i can discuss vgc with people, but it doesnt seem to be working. How do I connect to the smogonwifi irc?

I have a damage about damage calculations. So here is an example:

252 SpAtk Psyduck Water Gun vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Golem: 65.93% - 79.12%

Possible HP Damage: 240, 246, 246, 252, 252, 258, 258, 264, 264, 270, 270, 276, 276, 282, 282, 288

My question: Is the distribution of possible damage consistent with the example provided? Furthermore, would it be safe to assume that Psyduck would have a 1/16 chance of hitting for 288 damage?

I have a damage about damage calculations. So here is an example:

252 SpAtk Psyduck Water Gun vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Golem: 65.93% - 79.12%

Possible HP Damage: 240, 246, 246, 252, 252, 258, 258, 264, 264, 270, 270, 276, 276, 282, 282, 288

My question: Is the distribution of possible damage consistent with the example provided? Furthermore, would it be safe to assume that Psyduck would have a 1/16 chance of hitting for 288 damage?
Yes, Psyduck has a 6.25% chance of hitting for 288 damage, same with 240, 246, 246, and 247

Hope this helped!

I don't know what language that is, but for Worlds there will be a Last Chance Qualifier in Hawaii.
This is actually incorrect, Pokemon has not announced that there will be a LCQ yet for this year. There probably will be, but we'll have to wait until an official announcement.

This is actually incorrect, Pokemon has not announced that there will be a LCQ yet for this year. There probably will be, but we'll have to wait until an official announcement.
That completely slipped my mind. So yeah, Pokemon got rid of LCQ at our Nationals so anything could happen for Worlds.

Alright, I've been wondering about something.

How early should I arrive at the location of the VGC?

I was reading some of the past questions, and I found out that there's a limit of competitors. I don't want to arrive late and not be able to enter.

Thanks ahead of time.

Alright, I've been wondering about something.

How early should I arrive at the location of the VGC?

I was reading some of the past questions, and I found out that there's a limit of competitors. I don't want to arrive late and not be able to enter.

Thanks ahead of time.
It really depends on where your going.
Things might get close to the limit, but Ive never seen one get full...
Just get there as early as you think will make you comfortable
If you get there early, it means more time to meet ppl! :D

Ok, this is my first VGC so I'm clueless about just about everything. Right now I just have a couple of questions.

I read that the tournament works where you're paired up with a bunch of people who have a rating near your own.

1. Which rating is this that they judge by?
2. I'm a beginner both over wifi and VGC. So because of this, even if I win all my battles, is it impossible for me to win because of my rating? I'm just confused how you rise through the ranks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, this is my first VGC so I'm clueless about just about everything. Right now I just have a couple of questions.

I read that the tournament works where you're paired up with a bunch of people who have a rating near your own.

1. Which rating is this that they judge by?
2. I'm a beginner both over wifi and VGC. So because of this, even if I win all my battles, is it impossible for me to win because of my rating? I'm just confused how you rise through the ranks.

Thanks in advance for your help!
You may be thinking of the Wi-Fi tournament. In the actual VGC, you are matched up with other players based on your current win/loss record (for instance, if you're at 3-1, you'll probably be matched up with someone else who is also at 3-1). You'll be playing about 7 matches (possibly more or less depending on how many players show up), and your final place will be determined primarily by your win/loss record, and any ties will be broken by your opponents' win/loss records.

All that matters is your performance in those battles. Anything you've done (or haven't done) at past events or over Wi-Fi is totally irrelevant. So your only disadvantage there is a lack of experience.

You may be thinking of the Wi-Fi tournament. In the actual VGC, you are matched up with other players based on your current win/loss record (for instance, if you're at 3-1, you'll probably be matched up with someone else who is also at 3-1). You'll be playing about 7 matches (possibly more or less depending on how many players show up), and your final place will be determined primarily by your win/loss record, and any ties will be broken by your opponents' win/loss records.

All that matters is your performance in those battles. Anything you've done (or haven't done) at past events or over Wi-Fi is totally irrelevant. So your only disadvantage there is a lack of experience.
Thank you! I thought of another question, is the Wonder Launcher allowed? I was confused on the issue because the rules say no, but I've looked at a few VGC '12 battles on youtube and I've seen it getting used so I'm not sure.

I have two questions about the VGC in Athens:

What do I need to bring with me?
When do I need to get there to make sure I have a spot in seniors?

Thanks!

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You need to bring...
POP ID if you have one, your game, your ds, a charger, and a friendly smile.
Someone who went to an Autumn regional can help more with the second, as It's a bit different to here in the UK.

Does anyone know where I can look at last year's nationals final standings, like a pic or file or something? I kinda wana know how I did but no one I know has any info on it. I was 3-4 so it most likely have to be a full picture of both pages.
Reposting, never got answered, not sure if anyone knows :x

Is lunch provided at VGC?
If so, what do they have?
How crowded are the VGCs usually (more specifically, Seniors at Athens)?
Is there anything else I should know that I probably don't already know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)