Doctor Who

Bull of Heaven

Basically this. Strax was amazing as always.
He correctly identified a human female!

It seemed so contrived and fake; how on earth would the kids be able to automatically put two and two together without going into disbelief? If that had actually happened, they would have been less confrontational and more inquisitive. No one can just look at those pictures and just simply accept that they are the result of time travel.
If anyone can, it's children. And we don't know how much time they've had to get used to the idea.

Those three side characters seem pretty strained as well imo.
I don't know about the characters themselves, but it was kind of awkward to have all three crammed into an episode that didn't have a particularly threatening villain. The Doctor's side seemed a bit overpowered for once, and I'd say it hurt the episode.

I realize this is just my opinion, and some people are saying that this whole season has been bad, but I think it started strong and has been getting worse over time. IMO the first two episodes of the season were great, and most of the bad ones (including Crimson Horror) have been in the second half. It's a weird trend, and overall I'd say there have been more bad episodes than usual. I'm optimistic about the last two though. Gaiman certainly delivered last time, and I trust Moffat to at least make the finale interesting.

Just saw the Crimson Horror. I thought it was a solid episode, but I really wanted the Vastra/Strax/whatever they're called to press harder when finding out why Clara was still alive. It was also the funniest episode of the series

Personally, the show has been losing its connection to reality. Sure in the past Doctors there were wonky episodes, but from where I stand, the way that the people around the Doctor--the NPC's so to speak. The way they react has been getting less and less realistic.
Honestly, with the Vastra/Jenny/Strax episodes it really pushes the show into a surrealistic realm. There are people, in the 1800's seeing a lizard-woman and not going completely ballistic and trying to kill her. A transparent veil covers her face--but her face is still totally visible. Besides the comedic fainting that has occurred, there has been no reaction to her.
As for Strax? Sheesh, how could he possibly not attract serious attention? Even a Mr. Potato-Head joke here and there...
The Vastra/Jenny/Strax combo just makes the whole thing less believable and I find myself straining more and more to suspend my disbelief as the series goes on.

I think that's almost the idea of this Doctor, he isn't an alien, he is more of a story book character, and is written that way. I think though that Clara is sort of bringing back the Doctor to "reality" as she has several times shown that she doesn't quite trust him, and realizes him as an alien.

It also has a lot to do with the writers, this is Moffat's thing.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh my god this is the best episode the cybermen, claraaaaaa, the doctor, everyone is amazin

also tenth doctor references i'om fine

Solace how do you find these Clara gifs so quickly for your avvie ._.

This episode was okay. The fight in Doctor's head was a little silly, and I much prefer the cybermen from the David Tennant era since they were much more menacing. These cybermen were just...stupid. In the sense that they can now upgrade to anything in like 2 seconds flat, have that weird super-speed movement thingy which they somehow only decided to use once, and the fact that they can now detatch their limbs and stuff doesn't really appeal to me. As with a lot of the new doctor who episodes, the ending was rushed, and kid actors will be kid actors (as in: can't act).

Also they still haven't really explored Clara's "Impossible Girl" status, they've just called her that numerous times and left it at that. And as far as I'm aware, none of these episodes have been linked, which was what made the series with the crack in the wall so good, but hey, that's a minor nitpick.

Next episode looks alright I guess, but certainly not Finale-worthy by any means.

Ugh all these episodes so far haven't really been a classic or worth watching again :/

Eh, I am not a fan of Cybusmen either, but at least they went the full distance in turned them into full robot-Borg. I was hoping they would bring back the Mondas Cybermen.

The chess game was... interesting, it looks like a 4 knights game at the start. I don't get what they mean by a limited number of moves, chess doesn't work like that until you start repeating yourself or there are a certain number of pieces left.

Eh, I am not a fan of Cybusmen either, but at least they went the full distance in turned them into full robot-Borg. I was hoping they would bring back the Mondas Cybermen.

The chess game was... interesting, it looks like a 4 knights game at the start. I don't get what they mean by a limited number of moves, chess doesn't work like that until you start repeating yourself or there are a certain number of pieces left.
I was more bothered by the fact that the kid said he was a member of a chess club and then literally played the worst possible combination of moves there is.

I feel like the latest episode really should have been a two parter. Like, all the ingredients of a terrific episode were there, it's just that too many things which were left tantalisingly underdeveloped and unexplored, like the theme part setting, the soldiers, the crazily-overpowered abilities of the cybermen, the children, the wonder emporium proprietor, etc. I heard that Moffat decided not to do any two parters this season (source) but his reasons for doing so don't account for the fact that if you try and squeeze 60+ minutes of plot into 45 minutes then you're inevitably going to compromise on quality, and surely quality is ultimately a lot more important than a slight drop in viewing figures/press coverage and being afraid of "boring trailers"?

I was more bothered by the fact that the kid said he was a member of a chess club and then literally played the worst possible combination of moves there is.
There is a reason it is called the Fool's Mate. :P

I too agree that this episode would of been much better with a longer running time. Outside of the Submarine episode, all of the one's for this season seem kind of rushed.

I feel like the latest episode really should have been a two parter. Like, all the ingredients of a terrific episode were there, it's just that too many things which were left tantalisingly underdeveloped and unexplored, like the theme part setting, the soldiers, the crazily-overpowered abilities of the cybermen, the children, the wonder emporium proprietor, etc. I heard that Moffat decided not to do any two parters this season (source) but his reasons for doing so don't account for the fact that if you try and squeeze 60+ minutes of plot into 45 minutes then you're inevitably going to compromise on quality, and surely quality is ultimately a lot more important than a slight drop in viewing figures/press coverage and being afraid of "boring trailers"?
I agree. A little slower pace would have really helped the episode greatly, though the kids are really irritating. But they really did have a whole theme park--albeit an abandoned one--but still, all they did was hang around the moonlanding set and eventually the castle. Doing that made the episode feel very shallow.
However I feel they did a fine job with the displays of Cyberman power--it was nice to see they weren't the same recycled Cybus Cybers we have been seeing for the longest time

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't get what they mean by a limited number of moves, chess doesn't work like that until you start repeating yourself or there are a certain number of pieces left.
I think by 'moves' they meant variations. As in "after move X, there are Y different variations of the game," rather than the actual number of moves in the game (like move 1 move 2 move 3 etc.) Chess does have a limit on the possible number of variations but it's so ridiculously large that to anything but a SUPER super computer (e.g. cybermen) it's pretty much impossible to calculate (there's >9 million variations after black's 3rd move to put it in perspective).

Agreed that the kid getting fools mated while being in chess club was pretty lol but anyway, I liked this episode, it was MUCH better than the last one. Ending did feel a bit rushed but that's standard for Dr. Who i guess.

wow an actually good episode. I enjoyed that a lot apart from the awful special effects. Also lol at the new doctor being older than my Granddad. Sorry if I spoiled that for you, but you shouldn't be in this thread if you haven't seen the latest episode lol.
New Doctor? I'm not so sure about that. Maybe an Old Doctor... Smashing episode though.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
john hurt isnt the new doctor lol!!! it's related to the 50th anniversary stuff

CLARA OSWALD THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN TIME LORD HISTORY BEY

Good episode, bad finale if that makes sense.

Clara being split into different timelines, I fully expected. I loved her interaction with the past Doctors. I was expecting something huge from this finale, not gonna lie. "The question that must never be answered" and "silence will fall"...didn't really seem to be such a bad thing for anyone EXCEPT The Doctor.

I liked the Whispermen...although I wish The Great Intelligence was a stronger antagonist. Didn't do much except lead The Doctor to Trenzelor.

As for the end with John Hurt...The Valeyard, anyone? :P.

The one thing that bugged me the most throughout the last couple series, is that some of the earlier plots have NOT been wrapped up....i.e The TARDIS exploding in Series 5. Who does that and why? That is the Number 1 thing I want wrapped up tbh. Really hoping the 50th Anniversary special will conclude the past three series well enough. Need to see more of The Silence I think. They really made a huge deal over The Doctor's Name and that it should never be answered =/.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
john hurt isnt the new doctor lol!!! it's related to the 50th anniversary stuff

CLARA OSWALD THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN TIME LORD HISTORY BEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JdhRdF08fGY#t=170s :naughty:
Good episode, bad finale if that makes sense.
yeah I get what you mean and I agree it was a good episode overall but...

It's getting pretty annoying how so many episodes get magically wrapped up with no explanation of "how". I mean yeah, wibbly wobbly timey wimey w/e but they could've at least tried to give an explanation/analogy/metaphor/SOMETHING to let us know why/how the doctor could escape his own timeline. Usually I wouldn't care that much but it seems like nearly every episode is magically wrapped up in 2mins with hardly any explanation nowadays...

Anyone know when 50th anniversary episodes are due to air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JdhRdF08fGY#t=170s :naughty:

yeah I get what you mean and I agree it was a good episode overall but...

It's getting pretty annoying how so many episodes get magically wrapped up with no explanation of "how". I mean yeah, wibbly wobbly timey wimey w/e but they could've at least tried to give an explanation/analogy/metaphor/SOMETHING to let us know why/how the doctor could escape his own timeline. Usually I wouldn't care that much but it seems like nearly every episode is magically wrapped up in 2mins with hardly any explanation nowadays...

Anyone know when 50th anniversary episodes are due to air?
I don't think he has actually escaped from his own timeline yet; they certainly didn't show it onscreen. In fact, still being trapped in his own timeline might go some way to explaining how he'll be able to interact with David Tennant in the anniversary episode, which, in answer to your question, will be broadcast on 23rd November (same date that the first episode premiered on).

I thought the editing of the footage from previous Doctors was spectacularly done.
Yeah, I have to agree with this, considering the actual quality of the old Doctor's footage to begin with, you can't really complain about what happens when they attempt to edit it.

If anyone doubts me, just watch the Green Death...

*sees John Hurt* *explodes from hype* Holy shit.

Could tell the big thing with Clara the second the Doctor's timestream appeared, but that didn't stop the feels, and the Doctor/River scene was just beautiful. On the whole, wonderful episode I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)