Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SHIT SCREAMS YAY

back on topic. honedge looks... odd... to me. i wish it had more features that would suggest it's a pokemon, honestly. i would never guess it was, even with the "eye" in the middle [which i thought was a jewel tbh]

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/honedge-official-art.jpg

[i'd show it directly but this doesn't seem to have a "hide" function and it's a big picture]

i thought the two white circles under its "eye" were its eyes, and the shape below that was its mouth, so it'd be like a >v< face. i was later told that those were just part of the sheath and that the blue thing was its eye, but... yeah.

I actually think it looks better when it is in the sheath because then it looks like has a face and stuff y'know but when it's out it's just a damn sword. I really hope it is good though because that thing is a badass.

Oh and I don't like it's english name very much. Sounds almost like Talonflame to me. Monorpale forever yo.

So I was hopeful that the first Ghost/Steel would be defensive, but judging from Honedge's appearance and it's description (sword etc.), I'm pretty sure it's offensive stats will be better. :(

I just thought right now that it evolve not just into a larger more super sword but like into a sword AND a shield! So you never know.

With the advent of Fairies, an offensive steel type may still be useful with the other bonuses a ghost typing can bring.

Regarding the model, I think it's a little too... abstract to be seen as a pokemon off the bat. Perhaps it will get an evo that makes it more personable.

I see Honedge as a physical attacker with swords dance, sacred sword and a good physical ghost type move. I see it having a ghost signature move like shadow sword or something. Sacred sword fits it and I'd like it to get this move but I think it will still be reserved to the musketeers.
I'm looking forward to using it, I like swords :).

I see Honedge as a physical attacker with swords dance, sacred sword and a good physical ghost type move. I see it having a ghost signature move like shadow sword or something. Sacred sword fits it and I'd like it to get this move but I think it will still be reserved to the musketeers.
I'm looking forward to using it, I like swords :).
i hope it gets sacred sword, too. it seems a little unlikely, but i believe morning sun used to be espeon's signature move, and many other signature moves have lost that status, so it is possible, i suppose. i am wondering, though... if it is fully evolved, where will its hyper beam come from?
it looks like a standalone pokemon a la farfetch'd or lapras to me, personally, but i guess i can see it evolving.
[nice new avatar, by the way]

blitzlefan

shake it off!
To be honest, I don't think it'll get Sacred Sword, simply because it's a signature move. It'd be nice to see shield-mon as well so we can get a good spinblocker. With decent stats, it'll be able to check / wall / revenge kill Terrakion, Alakazam, Gengar, etc.

How come in the art in the video, he has a face but in the gameplay he doesn't? As a sword, which is an offensive weapon, I doubt that he will be defensive and will probably be a physical attacker. Also I hope it has another form that is a Sheild and its attack and Defense stats switch round! That would be cool

The face is on the scabbard, not the actual sword itself.

So, steel/ghost and it seems to be an attacker. Who wants to bet it's too slow to make use of a swords dance boosting strategy so it can't capitalise on all the free switch-ins against fighting, normal, bug and poison?

I'm going to pronounce (butcher) Honedge "ownage." As someone who plays other monster collecting games (SMT, Ni no Kuni) I don't mind the design at all. I understand why traditional Pokemon fans would be upset, but the design isn't all that odd to me. I actually quite like it. But it sure does look odd in battle out of its scabbard. Steel/Ghost is awesome. This sort of looks like a one-off Pokemon, but I hope it evolves into a Knight based on the Order of Saint Michael or something. That would be interesting!

It's not really a face, as much as it is a highly ornamental mask. I love it because of the detail that just sits on top of the lines of the blade when it's sheathed, it reminds me of these (gotta learn how to hide things)
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110321022424/grandchase/images/1/1a/Grandark.png
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130123234443/bayonetta/images/d/d4/Bayo_2_D.jpg
The first one is another sword from another game possessed by another spirit with Charizard's personality generating extreme coolness, and the second one is an angel (if you've seen what else Platinum Games will call an angel). I get the feeling that it's going to evolve around the blade, it will be exciting to see in-game :3

i wonder if honedge will be anything like rampardos. i've always got the vibe that rampardos and bastiodon are like the sword and shield in the sense that one is highly biased to attack with little in the way of anything else, and bastiodon is more of an ultimate defence. i guess deoxys' formes are similar but deoxys-a also focuses highly on speed whereas deoxys-d has low hp to compensate for its defences.

I think it's clever how the lines on the sword look like eyes and a mouth when the sword is sheathed. Also inb4 it involves into Dullahan and becomes a Fairy type.

know what'd be interesting? maybe instead of the obvious sword/shield combo, it could be a trio a la fire emblem. in fire emblem...

swords beat axes
axes beat lances
lances beat swords

it'd be a neat shout-out, and would be a bit more creative than a shield imo. probably won't happen but as an fe fan i would be pretty pleased to see it.

For me, the design is the worst so far out of all the XY pokemon, except for Froakie. However, it is still a pretty nice design, which just goes to show how good the standard of designs have been for XY. It seems like everybody is hyped for an evolution of this to "improve the design", but I don't think it'll get one. It already looks evolved enough! I see it as a nice mix between Chimenco, Cofagrigus and Bronzong.

The only real negative of this pokemon is that it's got the best defensive typing in Pokemon. A little strange that I see it as negative, don't you think. Well, for an awesome typing such as that, I really hoped that we would have a badass pokemon to introduce the typing. Sadly, we have an average design which could be forgettable pretty soon.

Also the name "Honedge" is terrible and reminds me to much of Stone Edge.

agree that honedge isn't that great, but... a lot of pokemon names aren't, to be honest. it fits in with the childish theme, i think, and terrible puns have always been a staple of pokemon.

that said, i feel bad for any dittos that will breed with this thing e____o
that's gotta hurt.

what do you guys think about movesets? they'll obviously go all-out with moves like fury cutter, leaf blade, and psycho cut, but i wonder about the less obvious ones. special attacks seem like they'd be executed... oddly, to say the least. maybe they come out of its eye? what do you think?

For me, the design is the worst so far out of all the XY pokemon, except for Froakie. However, it is still a pretty nice design, which just goes to show how good the standard of designs have been for XY. It seems like everybody is hyped for an evolution of this to "improve the design", but I don't think it'll get one. It already looks evolved enough! I see it as a nice mix between Chimenco, Cofagrigus and Bronzong.

The only real negative of this pokemon is that it's got the best defensive typing in Pokemon. A little strange that I see it as negative, don't you think. Well, for an awesome typing such as that, I really hoped that we would have a badass pokemon to introduce the typing. Sadly, we have an average design which could be forgettable pretty soon.

Tbh this sound more like trolling then a serious comments (I'm sorry if I'm wrong) since pretty much everybody is hoping for an evolution more stats wise (or shield wise) then design wise. The amount of negative comments ond design vs the praising ones is like 10% or something. So imo it is actually a great pokemon to be the first ghost-steel, and tbh, would would be a better concept for a ghost steel? Also the self unsheating idea is refreshing and cool. I also like the name, I think very few people actually think that i sounds to much like stone edge.

While it reminds me of Spectrobes, my favorite thing about it is the dedication to the "beauty" theme shown in its design. The official art is outlined in a weighted brush so it looks even more faceted than it really is.
I love it.

lol I read "stone henge". And then it got me thinking, maybe there's a reason that Masuda mentioned both Honedge and the Carnac stones in the same announcement.

Tbh this sound more like trolling then a serious comments (I'm sorry if I'm wrong) since pretty much everybody is hoping for an evolution more stats wise (or shield wise) then design wise. The amount of negative comments ond design vs the praising ones is like 10% or something. So imo it is actually a great pokemon to be the first ghost-steel, and tbh, would would be a better concept for a ghost steel? Also the self unsheating idea is refreshing and cool. I also like the name, I think very few people actually think that i sounds to much like stone edge.
"trolling"

you keep using that word. i don't think it means what you think it means.

Urban Dictionary: trolling
Being a prick on the internet because you can

that said, i don't particularly care for it. it looks kinda 'meh,' not really like a pokemon as it barely has a face/looks like anything other than a sword [not even really stylised] and i think that the criticisms are valid, though it is definitely a neat concept. as for the stone edge thing... i must ask: why does that matter honestly

I agree with you. And besides, he has a Probopass avatar, probably the worst pokemon from GenIV and in my opinion one of the ugliest designs ever.

I do, however, think that this thing will not evolve. If anything, this is the 2nd stage and we might get a pre-evo to it. But I agree it looks pretty evolved, and I can't imagine a logical step in design for it. (Also Froakie is bad ass anyway)

I also think we'll get amazing fires in OU this generation. Considering the steel creep thats happening and fairies joining the meta (beleiving the rumors its weak to fire) will make fires getting a very nice spot in the meta. I hope litleos evo will be a badass OU, I like lions.

I agree with you. And besides, he has a Probopass avatar, probably the worst pokemon from GenIV and in my opinion one of the ugliest designs ever.

I do, however, think that this thing will not evolve. If anything, this is the 2nd stage and we might get a pre-evo to it. But I agree it looks pretty evolved, and I can't imagine a logical step in design for it. (Also Froakie is bad ass anyway)
Somebody thinks that the knight in the sculpture first seen in the original XY trailer might be the evolution of Honedge BUT I'M NOT ONE TO AROUSE LEFT FIELD SPECULATION.
I imagine it pulling a digimon on everyone and evolving into something that is sensibly correlated to some aspect of its design while looking almost completely different if it doesn't just grow into a bigger sword with features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)