Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like Honedge more if it was constantly sheathed
But unsheathed it feels like there's something...missing. I usually don't have issues with "it's like <x> but alive" Pokemon but when I look at unsheathed honedge I see a sword. With an eye.

Oh well, it's still a nice concept.

Yeah same here maybe it should have been like Monorpale is in the sheath when it's just hanging out but when it attacks it comes out then goes back in afterwards. Yup.

I would like Honedge more if it was constantly sheathed
But unsheathed it feels like there's something...missing. I usually don't have issues with "it's like <x> but alive" Pokemon but when I look at unsheathed honedge I see a sword. With an eye.

Oh well, it's still a nice concept.

I barely even see the eye when it's unsheathed...but maybe that's part of its attack animation? It's official artwork shows it with the sheath on.

Honedge is my favorite, hands down. The first few days after release, you will see me tinkering and experimenting with it on ps. Also, just throwing it out
Ike I did on ps, what do you think of the name Claymourn for an evo?

My ps name is The Awakened in case anyone tries to question my authoritai on that.

Honedge is my favorite, hands down. The first few days after release, you will see me tinkering and experimenting with it on ps. Also, just throwing it out
Ike I did on ps, what do you think of the name Claymourn for an evo?

My ps name is The Awakened in case anyone tries to question my authoritai on that.
(the new forum layout will take a while to get used to...)

I do agree that Honedge is quiet a clever name, and it's good that we're getting a Ghost/Steel type. If it had Levitate, it would be even better (giving it a grand total of four immunities)! :toast:

(the new forum layout will take a while to get used to...)

I do agree that Honedge is quiet a clever name, and it's good that we're getting a Ghost/Steel type. If it had Levitate, it would be even better (giving it a grand total of four immunities)! :toast:
Do you mean my name I said when you say Honedge?

Levitate would be nice, but I'd rather see a bad-ass ability that plays off it being a vorpal sword. Even sheer force could be cool. And then we just need a strong physical ghost attack.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think unsheated Honedge looks as weird as a "trimmed" Tangela or an uncovered Forretress would look like. I find it interesting that we've finally had a pokémon that does come out of its cover for once, even if the sword design is so simple. I mean, "that's the point".

Well, it does look rather simple without the sheath, though I like how it holds its own sheath. I wonder when it unsheathes itself. Is it at the start of battle? Does it resheath itself at any point?

oh, it's not confirmed for levitate? i thought it was, for some reason.

well, how about cursed body? makes sense, right? possessed sword?
maybe also rough skin/iron barbs because it cuts when you hit it?

So I actually really like Honedge. I mean, I was willing to dig a Pokemon who's a chandelier with a face and a Pokemon who's just a magnet with an eyeball, why not a Pokemon who's a sword with an eyeball? It kind of reminds me of Kleever from Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES, and I'm hoping someone here will see what I mean.

Here's hoping he evolves into a full blown haunted suit of armor.

Smogon's back, my oh my.

So I see you all are up to speed with Hexcalibur- I mean Honedge. Good, good, this saves me time. So at this point, some of you are asking, "Why a sword?". For this answer, we can look to a common source for Pokemon designs, mythology. More specifically, eastern mythology. In eastern mythology, swords are commonly seen as having varying levels of sentience (See: Muramasa and Masamune). (Sentient swords also show up in European mythology as well, with famous examples being King Arthur's Excalibur, and the sword wielded by the Norse god Frey.) As Pokemon is made and originated in Japan, a sword makes perfect sense. Now if you want to go into the literal design, I prefer it unsheathed, it looks bland with the scabbard off, as said by R_N.

Smogon's back, my oh my.

So I see you all are up to speed with Hexcalibur- I mean Honedge. Good, good, this saves me time. So at this point, some of you are asking, "Why a sword?". For this answer, we can look to a common source for Pokemon designs, mythology. More specifically, eastern mythology. In eastern mythology, swords are commonly seen as having varying levels of sentience (See: Muramasa and Masamune). (Sentient swords also show up in European mythology as well, with famous examples being King Arthur's Excalibur, and the sword wielded by the Norse god Frey.) As Pokemon is made and originated in Japan, a sword makes perfect sense. Now if you want to go into the literal design, I prefer it unsheathed, it looks bland with the scabbard off, as said by R_N.
I also feel that it has sort of a French look.

A physical Ghost-type sword Pokemon sounds like a great time to finally introduce a better physical Ghost-type move. Golurk had to deal with Shadow Punch, but at least he had Iron Fist to mitigate that. And Banette is kinda really lackluster (still one of my favorite Pokemon though). I hope Gamefreak will have the foresight to introduce a nice physical move, like Shadow Sword or something (maybe something more general and less signature-attackish so they can give it to Banette too) so that Honedge doesn't have to rely on it's Steel STAB, which even with the introduction of the Fairy-type, still isn't that effective on many things.

A physical Ghost-type sword Pokemon sounds like a great time to finally introduce a better physical Ghost-type move. Golurk had to deal with Shadow Punch, but at least he had Iron Fist to mitigate that. And Banette is kinda really lackluster (still one of my favorite Pokemon though). I hope Gamefreak will have the foresight to introduce a nice physical move, like Shadow Sword or something (maybe something more general and less signature-attackish so they can give it to Banette too) so that Honedge doesn't have to rely on it's Steel STAB, which even with the introduction of the Fairy-type, still isn't that effective on many things.
Totally agree. Would a generic, power 90 physical attack work?

So I actually really like Honedge. I mean, I was willing to dig a Pokemon who's a chandelier with a face and a Pokemon who's just a magnet with an eyeball, why not a Pokemon who's a sword with an eyeball? It kind of reminds me of Kleever from Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES, and I'm hoping someone here will see what I mean.

Here's hoping he evolves into a full blown haunted suit of armor.
It would be similar to golurk wouldn't it?

judging by the description of Honedge i doubt it would be able to evolve. Its an inanimate object thats possessed by a ghost, how could it evolve?

anyways Honedge seems like this gens Spirtomb/Sableye but if it turns out to have great stats its one more pkmn for rain teams since in rain it has no weakness.

judging by the description of Honedge i doubt it would be able to evolve. Its an inanimate object thats possessed by a ghost, how could it evolve?

anyways Honedge seems like this gens Spirtomb/Sableye but if it turns out to have great stats its one more pkmn for rain teams since in rain it has no weakness.

Unless it doesn't have Levitiate...which plenty of Pokemon that float don't.

On that same note, I'm a little disappointed that they gave the defensive typing we've been waiting for to what seems to be an offensive mon (Steel/Ghost just doesn't cut it for coverage). But who knows, maybe they'll give us a full set with a shield, body armor, and helmet? That'd be cool.

That candle ghost pokemon Litwick evolves. Honedge could very easily evolve as well.

Unless it doesn't have Levitiate...which plenty of Pokemon that float don't.
whoops completely forgot that levitate isnt confirmed yet, tho you are correct theres lots of pkmn that float but dont have levitate. We're going to have to wait an see.

by that logic, yamask is a human ghost - how could it evolve? yet it does, somehow.
That candle ghost pokemon Litwick evolves. Honedge could very easily evolve as well.
Yes but those pkmn a still "monsters." Honedge is literately an inanimate object but this is gamefreak so anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)