Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
they might FIX that oversight in this generation ;)
or perhaps that is just wishful thinking...
It's not an oversight. In Japanese it's called Ambush (or Surprise Attack). It's also Coup Bas (Cheap Shot) in French. Iron Fist boosts Meteor Mash since in Japanese it's called Comet Punch. So, it's unlikely they'll change that because of the English name alone.

EDIT: super ninja'd

I'm honestly really curious as to why goro ("rolling") was deemed so important to the pokemon that both the english & japanese names use it

I mean I'm sure it will get rollout and such, but nothing about the design or personality really screams "roll"
Bulbapedia suggests the "goro" part of its name might come from "gorotsuki," meaning "rogue." Plus "gorogoro" doesn't strictly connote "rolling"; it can also mean "rumbling," like something large shaking the ground (Pangoro is 6'10" and nearly 300 lb, after all).

Bulbapedia suggests the "goro" part of its name might come from "gorotsuki," meaning "rogue." Plus "gorogoro" doesn't strictly connote "rolling"; it can also mean "rumbling," like something large shaking the ground (Pangoro is 6'10" and nearly 300 lb, after all).
Also there are multiple characters from fighting games who are called Goro, like the ones from Mortal Kombat and King of Fighters. So it is quite fitting for a Fighting-type Pokémon.

Did anyone notice how Perfume-beak is pure Fairy, and not part Flying, even though its shown flying in the in-game photos? I don't know if that actually means anything, but to me it seems like it perhaps GF is really trying to have a bunch of pure Fairies, or it may evolve into something other than a bird... (Though there are tons of Pokemon who change type upon evolution, so the latter may not be such good reasoning)

Did anyone notice how Perfume-beak is pure Fairy, and not part Flying, even though its shown flying in the in-game photos? I don't know if that actually means anything, but to me it seems like it perhaps GF is really trying to have a bunch of pure Fairies, or it may evolve into something other than a bird... (Though there are tons of Pokemon who change type upon evolution, so the latter may not be such good reasoning)
Yeah, I saw that...
And the squid who kinda look like a bird is Dark/Psychic...

I wonder how much Dark/Fairy aura is going to boost. Will it be like the plates and boost by 20%? Or will it be like Life Orb and boost 30%? Either way, they're gonna hit exceptionally hard. Rayquaza will cower in fear at the sight of a Fairy Aura + Life Orb boosted Geo Control.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually confused as to why they didn't give that guy a Flying typing as well. It has many bird-like traits, and it's worthwhile to add to the list of various Fairy-type Pokemon aside from pure ones, so...ah, why not?

Probably because at this stage of its evolution it's a flightless bird. Or something along those lines.
I guess the 'Goro' part of panda's name makes sense to me now, but here's hoping its english name is Panchou. Because that's just too perfect a name for it.

Oh nice
that makes a lot more sense then

Does anyone else think Karamanero will have a niche on Baton Pass teams due to it's ability Suction Cups and it's unique typing?

Ya know, those squid pokemon have interesting types with only one weakness. Too bad it's a 4x's damage by bug. I.e, Scizor has new bait. Well, I'm getting X and Fennekin since it'll most likely be psychic. Whoo X&Y!

I wonder how much Dark/Fairy aura is going to boost. Will it be like the plates and boost by 20%? Or will it be like Life Orb and boost 30%? Either way, they're gonna hit exceptionally hard. Rayquaza will cower in fear at the sight of a Fairy Aura + Life Orb boosted Geo Control.
inb4 it's like roar of time.

Though honestly I'm surprised that xerneas is pure fairy I expected him to be a dual type maybe fairy/steel or fairy/grass.

inb4 it's like roar of time.

Though honestly I'm surprised that xerneas is pure fairy I expected him to be a dual type maybe fairy/steel or fairy/grass.
I'm quite disappointed it isn't part Steel, since it looked like it had actual swords for legs. It should have been Fairy/Steel, IMO.

You know, isn't the new "cotton candy" Pokemon more like a dog that gets it's theme from cotton candy, rather than just being food. So, it's more like, I dunno, a poodle.
Because if that's the case, it could very well be one of the early-game Pokemon in the vein of Lillipup. Would make sense being a pure Fairy and whatnot.

I'm also not particularly sold on the 4x weakness to Bug being a massive issue for the Squids. Obviously, it's really hard to actually say anything about that since we really know nothing about stats and moves for it, but other stuff have been able to cope with worse weaknesses entirely fine.

Just to clear things up on my end, what was the rumor about Pancham's evolution? Was it that it evolved at level 30?
the rumored level is in the 30s, so probably lvl 32-35. I guess you have to have another dark type in your party to have him evolve. Thats just a rumor, but given that the leaker was right about the name and type of Pangoro, Im assuming this evolution method is true as well.

I'm also not particularly sold on the 4x weakness to Bug being a massive issue for the Squids. Obviously, it's really hard to actually say anything about that since we really know nothing about stats and moves for it, but other stuff have been able to cope with worse weaknesses entirely fine.
I'd say the main issue it has to overcome to be competitive is lack of resistances. It has one immunity (to Psychic) and one 4x weakness (to Bug). That's about as bad as Normal type alone, and that's not a good thing at all.

You just went full retard. Never go full retard.
We could say the same about your triple post.

I'm a little conflicted on the squid's Contrary + Turn Over...I feel like they cancel each other out, as a positive boost from Contrary could become a negative boost. Maybe it'll be more relevant on Suction Cups, but that's a bit of speculation since we don't know the full extent of either Contary or Turn Over.

We could say the same about your triple post.

I'm a little conflicted on the squid's Contrary + Turn Over...I feel like they cancel each other out, as a positive boost from Contrary could become a negative boost. Maybe it'll be more relevant on Suction Cups, but that's a bit of speculation since we don't know the full extent of either Contary or Turn Over.
Idk having Contrary and Turn Over might be useful in case something swaggers you.... Lol.

I'd say the main issue it has to overcome to be competitive is lack of resistances. It has one immunity (to Psychic) and one 4x weakness (to Bug). That's about as bad as Normal type alone, and that's not a good thing at all.
Eh, that's true enough. So much rides on the stats here, really. Since it has a lack of resistances, it's not easy to get into the game without it getting mauled in the process. Here's to hoping for it to have good speed.

As far as the moves go, while most Pokemon that had Contrary haven't made amazing use out of it, majority of those also got it long after their release (I think the only Gen V that had it was Serperior, which can be devastating, but even that had it as a Hidden Ability). Now here, it's one of the regular abilities, and the Squids actually have a move that would work well with similar moves (Also, "turning" seems to be relevant theme between the move and the Pokemon, so it might be a signature move or something here), so I would imagine it has the moves to utilize Contrary.

Since they draw inspiration from rotation and reversal, it would be cool if the first stage was Psychic/Dark and the second one Dark/Psychic. Has it been confirmed that both are Dark/Psychic?

Speculating, but I think Yveltal will have high Attack, Speed, and Special Defence, while Xerneas will have high Special Attack. HP, and Defence. This is all from Death Wing seeming physical, and Geo Control seeming special.

Also speculating that if fairy truly is super effective against dark, and weak to poison. I think Z legendary will be either poison/ghost or poison/psychic serpent. So X beats Y which beats Z which beats X.

I'm back from hibernation!

I've got a gut feeling that Shushup might evolve into a fairy/dark, fairy/ghost or at a push, fairy/poison type. It's just got something strange and intriguing to it, other than being cute as a button. Shushup is my favourite of the pre-released pokemon. Scatterbug, Talonflame and Gogoat are my least favourite (I don't hate them, their names just suck in my opinion.)

Still sitting on the hope that Sableye gets a mother though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)