OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

What's the default? Like if you do it in white 2 against some random trainer on some random route?
Weird question, do you mean you use your last pokémon to explode on the opponent?

Said pokémon that exploded will faint, and not recieve any exp. also, I believe regardless whether you win or not, if your last pokémon fainted along with the opponent you should black out to avoid running around with six 0 hp pokémon

In-game you always lose if your last pokemon explode, no matter what (iirc, if both your and opponent's last pokemon faint together, you always lose). It's basically because you have all pokemon with 0 HP, but it also happens in facilities (battle tower, factory, subway, etc.)

Is it possible to record actual winrate a pokemon has? Right now the monthly stats show the usage, moves and most common partners but I think it would be interesting to see which pokemon have the highest winrate (and if both teams have the same pokemon the game is ignored in the winrate calculation). That would be much more like a representation of actual strength, whereas right now we only have the difference between all stats and 1800 stats and usage % which only slightly correlates with strength.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Is it possible to record actual winrate a pokemon has? Right now the monthly stats show the usage, moves and most common partners but I think it would be interesting to see which pokemon have the highest winrate (and if both teams have the same pokemon the game is ignored in the winrate calculation). That would be much more like a representation of actual strength, whereas right now we only have the difference between all stats and 1800 stats and usage % which only slightly correlates with strength.
This is pretty interesting actually but overall I think something like a win percentage of a certain Pokemon is too simplistic to show any useable data. The reason being is that there are not enough unique Pokemon to do this. In sports this type of statistic is effective since each player is unique but in Pokemon every team has access to every player so it becomes a pretty flawed statistic. I have however thought about having something to analyze a single team to determine the value of each team member. If anyone here is familiar with WAR ratings in sports (Wins Above Replacement) this is kind of what inspired me to think of this. Basically, its a combination of each statistic (for Pokemon a KO would be one obviously, successful status moves, Hazards which could be adjusted in usefulness on a match to match basis, spinning, etc., etc.) and each team member is given a rating above or below zero based on how effective it is compared to an average team member. Something like this could potentially allow you to find the most efficient team member possible on a team where you are struggling to find a member in that final spot. Anyways, I kinda rambled on a bit but I think this is a very interesting discussion and something that should be looked into more.

This is pretty interesting actually but overall I think something like a win percentage of a certain Pokemon is too simplistic to show any useable data. The reason being is that there are not enough unique Pokemon to do this. In sports this type of statistic is effective since each player is unique but in Pokemon every team has access to every player so it becomes a pretty flawed statistic. I have however thought about having something to analyze a single team to determine the value of each team member. If anyone here is familiar with WAR ratings in sports (Wins Above Replacement) this is kind of what inspired me to think of this. Basically, its a combination of each statistic (for Pokemon a KO would be one obviously, successful status moves, Hazards which could be adjusted in usefulness on a match to match basis, spinning, etc., etc.) and each team member is given a rating above or below zero based on how effective it is compared to an average team member. Something like this could potentially allow you to find the most efficient team member possible on a team where you are struggling to find a member in that final spot. Anyways, I kinda rambled on a bit but I think this is a very interesting discussion and something that should be looked into more.
Honestly I like your method, I feel a lot of people do it without actually thinking they do it: if they actually change members in their team.
Also a W/L ratio per pokémon can be useful, but is so dependent on the players rather than the pokemon(set), not to mention the ability to very easily manipulate it just makes it a flawed system.
Heck I could make an agreement with great players to all use luvdisc with only tackle, they'd still win with five pokémon: Luvdisc gets a good W/L ratio and consequently creates a massive obvious flaw in the system. (Hint: Luvdisc sucks and don't let you be told otherwise)

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not much better than it was in the start of BW1. Metagross trufully is not too bad, it can pull off a sweep more often than you think, but it won't drastically increase at all in usage, if at all.

More like if Keldeo gets banned will Celebi/Jellicent usage go down?
A big decrease in Jellicent use is unlikely, as Jellicent's primary role isn't to wall Pokemon like Keldeo, but to block spins. I do think Celebi might see a noticeable dip, it wasn't nearly as used in BW1 as it is now, a big part of Celebi, as well as Pokemon like Amoonguss, is to wall certain Pokmeon, including Keldeo.

MCBarrett

Probably, because there is a misconception currently that being a Keldeo counter is the only thing they are good for. Especially in Jellicent's case it's usage shouldn't go down at all seeing that it is the best SpinBlocker in OU and is just a great support mon/ wall in general against Fighting Types and Scizor. Celebi also has some great niches, especially the recent NP and SD Baton Pass sets. However, they most likely will both drop in usage pretty significantly.

I agree on both the pokemon and it will be kinda sad to see Celebi dip but it is still versatile and can run a number of different sets viably (So it will still be a good pokemon). I really like Jellicent right now and actually think that it is getting to low usage 0.0 It is really good at countering as said fighting types/scizor and spinblocking as well as filling standard bulky water roles. Jelli also has reliable recovery and walls both of Keldeo's STAB's and resists Keldeo's 2 most common HP (Ice/Bug) The only downsides I see is the pursuit weakness which means that T-Tar can trap it and deal a lot of damage as well as not being good against sun teams (But what water types really are?)
Overall I think Jellicent brings a lot of positive traits to the table that make it a really good wall/spinblocker that can actually beat spinners as well.

Edit: Does anyone else think that specially defensive spikes or toxic spikes laying Roserade is actually pretty good right now? I've had a lot of success with it recently because of the numerous amounts of pokemon Roserade is able to sub in on. She is also pretty fast if you are going defensive with base 90 speed which is faster than most defensive pokemon which allows her to lay down spikes faster as well as put to sleep some offensive threats that fail to KO her. Her defense is lackluster which is really annoying but if you put some EV's in it than it isn't so bad. Basically, I've been finding a lot of positive traits about Roserade and have been having more success with it in OU than in UU (Probably because of Victini and all the physical threats) and I think that she is a really potent spikes/toxic spikes laying pokemon that more people should consider using.

Last edited:
Yeah defensive Roserade is ok, I have used it quite a few times and its pretty solid. The main problem with Roserade is how niche it is, you have to go through sort of a process in team building where you specially need a Spikes Pokemon and only have that wiggle room for your bulky grass type on your team when you should use it, otherwise it has serious competition with Amoonguss and Celebi, who outside of Spikes, are better defensive Pokemon.

Although, it's shitty defense is not to be underestimated:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Roserade: 145-171 (44.75 - 52.77%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 216-256 (53.46 - 63.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just to put that into perspective, a super effective move on Celebi does about 10% more damage than to Roserade which is neutral to it, Roserade has almost half the defense of Celebi.

Yeah defensive Roserade is ok, I have used it quite a few times and its pretty solid. The main problem with Roserade is how niche it is, you have to go through sort of a process in team building where you specially need a Spikes Pokemon and only have that wiggle room for your bulky grass type on your team when you should use it, otherwise it has serious competition with Amoonguss and Celebi, who outside of Spikes, are better defensive Pokemon.

Although, it's shitty defense is not to be underestimated:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Roserade: 145-171 (44.75 - 52.77%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 216-256 (53.46 - 63.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just to put that into perspective, a super effective move on Celebi does about 10% more damage than to Roserade which is neutral to it, Roserade has almost half the defense of Celebi.
Yes I agree Roserade just fits the role that I want it to be on quite a few of my teams so I use it more than most people would. Her defense is underrated I agree (Which is why I put some EV's in defense) and makes her a better mixed wall but Amoonguss and Celebi I agree do fill the role of a defensive grass type better if your arn't looking for the t-spikes support especially.

Why is Swords Dance Dragonite considered a bad idea? Even after a Dragon Dance, Dragonite is still pretty slow, and it still relies on ExtremeSpeed to hit things faster than it. Swords Dance allows Dragonite to act like ESpeed Lucario, but with a different typing a much greater bulk. So is there any competitive merit to SD Dragonite?

Also, disregarding weaknesses and resitances, who has greater physical bulk: Tangrowth, (base 100/125 physical bulk) or Kyurem-B (base 125/100 physical bulk)?

MCBarrett

Why is Swords Dance Dragonite considered a bad idea? Even after a Dragon Dance, Dragonite is still pretty slow, and it still relies on ExtremeSpeed to hit things faster than it. Swords Dance allows Dragonite to act like ESpeed Lucario, but with a different typing a much greater bulk. So is there any competitive merit to SD Dragonite?

Also, disregarding weaknesses and resitances, who has greater physical bulk: Tangrowth, (base 100/125 physical bulk) or Kyurem-B (base 125/100 physical bulk)?
I think there's a couple of reasons that DD is used over SD on Dragonite. First of all, due to Dragonite's great bulk, it is able to set up twice rather easily if played correctly and SR has been kept off of the field and speed is more valuable in the fast paced metagame. Next, Dragonite's base 134 attack is already insanely powerful whereas it's speed is something that leaves much to be desired. Therefore, being able to negate it's poor speed stat through DD is much more favorable and will allow it to fire off its powerful STAB attacks more often rather than relying on the comparatively weak Extremespeed.

On your other question I did a calc with each at max physical bulk investment against a CB Ambipom Return and Tangrowth takes about 1% less than Kyurem-B does so I guess it has slightly better physical bulk.

Dragonite can't learn Swords Dance.

Tangrowth is more bulky:

252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 229-271 (58.56 - 69.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 190-225 (55.71 - 65.98%)

For future reference you can also quantify bulkyness by multiplying the HP by defense:

Kyurem-B: 391*236=92276
Tangrowth: 341*286=97526

Dragonite can't learn Swords Dance.

Tangrowth is more bulky:

252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 229-271 (58.56 - 69.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 190-225 (55.71 - 65.98%)

For future reference you can also quantify bulkyness by multiplying the HP by defense:

Kyurem-B: 391*236=92276
Tangrowth: 341*286=97526
Thank you, and my mistake; I must have gotten Swords Dance and Agility confused :X

For Jellicent I don't really know.

But for Celebi, I don't think his usage will decrease because Keldy is a huge threat to Breloom (252 SpA Keldeo Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 230-272 (87.78 - 103.81%) -- 25% chance to OHKO without SR) and if Keldeo gets banned, the usage of Breloom will increase (imo, this is theorymoning).

In fact, the usage of Celebi won't decrease, imo, the physically defensive set will reborn from hell to hard counter Breloom.

For Jellicent I don't really know.

But for Celebi, I don't think his usage will decrease because Keldy is a huge threat to Breloom (252 SpA Keldeo Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 230-272 (87.78 - 103.81%) -- 25% chance to OHKO without SR) and if Keldeo gets banned, the usage of Breloom will increase (imo, this is theorymoning).

In fact, the usage of Celebi won't decrease, imo, the physically defensive set will reborn from hell to hard counter Breloom.
I didn't really think about that until now but that seems like that could happen.

I was looking at some of the swift swim sweepers and wondering what the viability of manual rain teams are in the current meta. What would be a good approach to making a manual rain team, some of the best sets, strengths weaknesses etc?

I was looking at some of the swift swim sweepers and wondering what the viability of manual rain teams are in the current meta. What would be a good approach to making a manual rain team, some of the best sets, strengths weaknesses etc?
I have never made a manual rain team, however a tanky Hydration Rain Dance Damp Rock Vaporeon with Rest, or any bulky water type with Dance.

Build your team as if you have a DrizzleToed, then just swap out certain coverage attacks for Rain Dance, and substitute a Damp Rock in.

This does require a lot of switching in/out though, unless you use a Swift Swim sweeper with Rain Dance, which decreases coverage by wasting a move,

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Pros:
You almost always have a speed advantage over other auto-Drizzle teams
You can use Swift Swim abusers like Kingdra and Ludicolo which do massive damage under rain with Swift Swim
It can completely dismantle weatherless teams as you have a speed and offensive advantage which they can't turn the tides of
You don't have to invest a slot using Politoed which allows you to have more type diversity
You have multiple weather inducers so you don't instantly lose the weather war if one dies

The Cons:
It makes battles against teams with Sand, Sun or Hail have the ability to stop your manual-weather which a much easier to set up Auto-weather.
You're pretty much forced to run a Damp Rock on all of your Rain Dancers
Your members will most likely be walled by common things (think Gastrodon, Jellicent and Celebi) so it may be difficult to break past some stall teams.
You lose an extra moveslot on your inducers which could've been used for other purposes

Weather setters that you can try out: jirachi, tornadus-i (prankster rain dance can be very good for late-game cleaning after sacrificing it), ludicolo and bronzong. There are also others such as Uxie who can use a combination of U-turn + Rain Dance

Damp Rock Rain abusers: Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Omastar, Tornadus, Thundurus-Therian

Good luck experimenting with this rare team archetype!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)