what do you think makes people stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
People who are extremely arrogant when they don't truly deserve it, people who think they are better than the rest for x reason, and people who cant behave when they should/must.

(if you're in highschool everyone is stupid we get it man)
lmao

The stuff that annoys me the most is when a certain group/person's stupidity has a direct effect on you, but the most annoying is when people think they always know better than you.

People who change to fit other's requirements are stupid. Stay Yo'self and don't give a fuck about what others think :)

Edit: and people who want to change others to fit their needs are beyond stupid. Dey DUMBASSES and ASSES at the same time.

People who change to fit other's requirements are stupid. Stay Yo'self and don't give a fuck about what others think :)

Edit: and people who want to change others to fit their needs are beyond stupid. Dey DUMBASSES and ASSES at the same time.
Why? Take for example a long-term couple who are living together. It's unlikely two people are going to be 100% compatible. A relationship isn't going to work between them if they are fundamentally incompatible about major things. But it's perfectly reasonable to adjust things to make your partner happy, as long as it's give-and-take and you're not compromising on dealbreakers.

The advice of your loved ones and friends can be great motivation to improve as well, especially if you're treating others badly, having interpersonal problems, don't communicate well, etc.

I agree that it's important not to lose sight of who you are, and it's good to know when to not care about what others (particularly strangers) think, but I feel like 'listening to what other people say about you and changing accordingly when you see reason to makes you stupid' is really reductionist. Taking constructive feedback on some things is a great way to grow as a person and learn to make people around you happier. It just, like all things, has to be paid back. Also, it's extremely difficult to get through life without not caring at least nominally about the impression you make.

Jumpluff said:
Why? Take for example a long-term couple who are living together. It's unlikely two people are going to be 100% compatible. A relationship isn't going to work between them if they are fundamentally incompatible about major things. But it's perfectly reasonable to adjust things to make your partner happy, as long as it's give-and-take and you're not compromising on dealbreakers.

The advice of your loved ones and friends can be great motivation to improve as well, especially if you're treating others badly, having interpersonal problems, don't communicate well, etc.

I agree that it's important not to lose sight of who you are, and it's good to know when to not care about what others (particularly strangers) think, but I feel like 'listening to what other people say about you and changing accordingly when you see reason to makes you stupid' is really reductionist. Taking constructive feedback on some things is a great way to grow as a person and learn to make people around you happier. It just, like all things, has to be paid back. Also, it's extremely difficult to get through life without not caring at least nominally about the impression you make.
Well I agree with you there, I don't think personal feedback should be enough to change who you are and people shouldn't try to change who others are with their feedback and constructive criticism. That's more what I was going for in that post.

people who disagree with my taste in music are extremely stupid.

x5dragon your post seems like something a stupid person would say :toast:

Last edited:
If being smart was such a great thing, the world would have more intelligent people-- it would be a trait greater selected for by evolution (where as "moderate intelligence by human standards" seems to be the optimum point-- smart enough to function, but dumb enough not to go off the deep end; or have only 1 kid, or none at all).
You have no other intelligent species to compare that to. You're using a sample set of 1 to make a statistical argument.

Depends on your definition of "great". My definition of "great" isn't people who make history books; to me greatness is in finding daily happiness, and to me that's heavily connected to leaving successful offspring behind. Nature as a whole is so hell-bent on having living things focus on "survival" that I think it is a very important goal in life. A trait that doesn't directly connect with that isn't so "great" in my book.
This seems pretty circular to me, unless "successful" and "great" are supposed to mean different things. There are also many traits in humans that are detrimental to our survival, happiness, etc. but we have them. Nature doesn't care, nor does it have the infinite tools needed to evolve "perfect" creatures even in principle.

Anyway, everybody's stupid to some degree. We fall victim to some really scary cognitive biases. The only thing that we can do is to try to correct for our biases. I suppose a lot of people don't really do that, making them especially stupid, but ultimately it doesn't seem rational to dwell on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)