Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Megamewtwo hasn't been confirmed for any stat increase though at the moment it gets a not so useful ability and it gains nothing since it already beats the one mon that insomnia is useful for.
Megamawile is the shizzz, that coverage, dat base attack.
Megablaziken will be shit. Anything it can do, LO blaze can do better.
Megakanga could also be good depending on how the baby works.
Megaluca seems alright.
Mega Mewtwo has been confirmed to have higher special attack, according to Serebii.

Im thinking that mega charizard might surpass ninetales as a drought user. It can megaevolve and attack tbe same turn. Drought and solarbeam plus higher sp attack can possibly lead it to ohko politoed or ttar in the future. I foresee scarf toed and ttar to rise dramatically to combat drought zard. Seeing as scarf toed and ttar will be faster and can ohko with hydro pump and stone edge respectively.
Mega venusaur is kinda meh when you compare it to chlorophyll. But if you run a subseeding set but even still no leftovrrs recovery would hurt.
Im def looking forward to trying drought zard and possibly mega blastoise on a rain team

Im also wondering if they will have any other mega evolutions with that summon perma weather...

If Sun gets some other worthwhile Mega Evolutions, there could be some interesting mindgames to play with Solar Power Charizard on a team that includes Ninetales... Keep the opponent guessing as to whether or not Charizard can Mega Evolve as long as possible; force them to play conservatively while they're not sure whether it's just abusing Solar Power or it's going to mega evolve and acquire Drought.

This is of course assuming that Drought Megazard is pretty kickass, since if it isn't, Solar Power Charizard still inhabits that awkward zone where you can make it work if you really want, but it's not exactly doing you a whole lot of favors. Bluffing the potential for Mega Evolution until you decide to evolve something else, on the other hand, could be interesting.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But sweepers are disgusting and should never ever be considered for serious competitive play. THE STALL GOD HAS SPOKEN!

In all honesty though, if I get to choose between a sweeper set that is better and a wall that is less good I will still choose the wall if it's good enough. Sweeping has never really done the trick for me tbh.

Also, Seed + Synth may not be that great, but remember that Ferrothorn, the mon that we've been comparing Megasaur with a lot, uses only Leech Seed + lefties for recovery, and where is he on the usage stats again? Really, it's not like Megasaur is as easy to take down as some may be implying. He will definitely outclass Amoonguss in almost every way aside from not having Spore and Regenrator (but Sleep Powder is still quite good and I'm willing to sacrifice Regenerator for 2 weaknesses less, more bulk and better offensive prowess)
Ferrothorn has double hazards, Lefties recovery, much more resistances, and SR resistance, which is why it's one of the most used Pokemon. Leftovers is a huge deal for a Pokemon with no reliable recovery. Assuming Ferrothorn and MegaVenusaur get burned by a random Scald, the former is losing 12.5% every time it comes in (SR is canceled by Lefties) while the latter is losing 25%. And getting walled by MegaVenusaur won't be that big of a deal anyway, because it won't do something very productive for its team, like setting up hazards. You can just wall it with something on your team and next time your offensive Water-type will be able to 2HKO it as it switches in. If MegaVenusaur doesn't get additional moves (especially reliable recovery) it will be a bad defensive Pokemon, even without the 1 MEvo per team restriction.

EDIT: Also, have people realized that MegaBlaziken will be able to have egg moves, with Baton Pass being the highlight?

Last edited:
I think out of all the Mega's that were announced so far, MegaBlaziken has the edge. He already runs Protect anyway for Speed Boost, with his higher attack stat it is better than the LO set simply because it doesn't lose 10% each time it attacks something, which might not sound much on a frail pokemon but allows it switch in and deal damage longer.

The other one I see being better is MegaLuca, who initially might have a tougher time to set up with, but now gets Adaptibility (beats LO + Regular STAB boost) and thats not even factoring the additional attack stat raise.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Yes. Probably every fully-evolved Pokemon will get a Mega Evolution, I speculate (even Delibird).

My two issues, which have been broached at length, but I will reiterate for posterity, with Mega Pokemon:

1. It takes a turn to activate

2. You don't have an item

Both, in tandem, almost certainly compromise the strategic viability of a Mega Pokemon. The fact that you can only have one also mitigates their usability; the only ones I think are of particularly good use are MegaMewtwo and MegaLucario, the one because of absurdly high Special Attack, and the other because of (probably) Base 140 Attack + STAB/Adaptability Close Combat. The prospect of MegaMawile is indeed high, but again I'm worried about the use of a turn. Does Mega Evolving have priority? If not, then MegaMawile will be in serious trouble, one Fire Blast/STAB Earth Power/STAB EQ and he's down to red, so you have to play your cards right. His severe Attack is undermined by his lacking Speed, since he needs both to be a contender, I think (Sucker Punch would give him an edge, but not an impressive enough one).

The two mentioned above (MegaMewtwo, MegaLuke) are probably the best on paper, but I would also give honorable mention to MegaBlaziken, because it will probably have around Base 130 Attack, with Speed Boost it will be a veritable sweeper. Also MegaBlastoise, whose Hydro Pump may very well be on par with Haxorus's Outrage in damage output thanks to Mega Launcher, is wortyh of attention, but his new ability falls well within the field of gimmick, as Hydro Pump will be his only good "pulse" attack - other than.... Water Pulse? Flash Cannon? The latter will be better offensively because of the new type, but come on. I'm not terribly amused.

At this point, we don't really know enough to make any real speculation about what kind of impact these new Pokemon will have in the competitive sphere. I have a feeling that they may, in the end, be a wasted slot on any team, because their only purpose is to come in there and scare the s*** out of your opponent, but then end up falling from one or two attacks. They're almost like the Pokemon equivalent of Final Smashes from SSBB - some Pokemon get better ones than others, but no one will end up using them (for one reason or another). tl;dr: if a Mega Pokemon has low Speed, don't use it.
Huh, so you assume MegaLuke gets +30 in his base attack whereas MegaBlaziken will only get +10? Like whut? Also, creating a whole slew of new Pokemon while also recreating every Pokemon that already exists seems like a lot of work, I don't think Gamefreak would go through that much trouble.

Ferrothorn has double hazards, Lefties recovery, much more resistances, and SR resistance, which is why it's one of the most used Pokemon. Leftovers is a huge deal for a Pokemon with no reliable recovery. Assuming Ferrothorn and MegaVenusaur get burned by a random Scald, the former is losing 12.5% every time it comes in (SR is canceled by Lefties) while the latter is losing 25%. And getting walled by MegaVenusaur won't be that big of a deal anyway, because it won't do something very productive for its team, like setting up hazards. You can just wall it with something on your team and next time your offensive Water-type will be able to 2HKO it as it switches in. If MegaVenusaur doesn't get additional moves (especially reliable recovery) it will be a bad defensive Pokemon, even without the 1 MEvo per team restriction.

EDIT: Also, have people realized that MegaBlaziken will be able to have egg moves, with Baton Pass being the highlight?
I still don't think Venusaur will be bad, but we'll see. If he turns out bad then it's sad because he has potential.

But holy shit, Baton Pass Blaziken is simply brutal. While he's definitely not dropping (especially with the ability to Baton Pass Speed Boosts + Swords Dances while being able to abuse these boosts himself), I am interested in Combusken, as he, too, will be able to abuse Speed Boost + Baton Pass. He might actually become viable in the lower tiers as a slower but bulkier and generally better Ninjask. Hell, in that case he would be even viable in OU, especially with setup bait like Forretress around. Switch in on a wall, Swords Dance on the assumed switch to a Combusken counter, Protect for an extra Speed Boost, then pass it on to something that counters Combusken's counter.

(oh god how will stall be viable ever again)

No, Combusken won't necessarily be able to have Speed Boost + Baton Pass. Currently, that combo is illegal on both Combusken and regular Blaziken since all Dream World Torchic are male. MegaBlaziken fixes this by having Speed Boost regardless of whether the Blaziken before it had Speed Boost or Blaze, but this is not the case for Combusken.

monster said:
The prospect of MegaMawile is indeed high, but again I'm worried about the use of a turn. Does Mega Evolving have priority? If not, then MegaMawile will be in serious trouble, one Fire Blast/STAB Earth Power/STAB EQ and he's down to red, so you have to play your cards right. His severe Attack is undermined by his lacking Speed, since he needs both to be a contender, I think (Sucker Punch would give him an edge, but not an impressive enough one).
The other thing to consider here is that I wager many Mawile will carry Sucker Punch, given the though near-perfect coverage granted by Fairy/Dark according to the rumor. If the person I read it from is correct, only Heatran resists that. We'll find out next week. BUT, even if Sucker Punch fails, it goes first. We know Mega Evolution occurs before your attack, so unless the opponent uses some move of a higher priority (ExtremeSpeed or Protect or something), then Mawile *coughandAbsolcough* will be safe to Mega Evolve before getting hit. Again, that's assuming it is tied to YOUR attack and not the overall turn (ie, Mega Evolution having a priority of something like +6 or something).

I really am not sure why everyone keeps harping on the fact that it takes a turn to activate as a major disadvantage. It isn't ideal, sure, but is it really that difficult to switch the pokemon into something that doesn't threaten it, mega evolve it, and then save it for later? I don't think so.

Also, MegaBlaziken seems the best so far, in my opinion. Luke may still be too slow to outdo the standard SDLO set, while the others have their own issues. MegaKen's biggest issue is remediated by its ability and it has access to Baton Pass on top of it to switch out of counters. Flare Blitz / HJK / Swords Dance / Baton Pass is potentially deadly.

Huh, so you assume MegaLuke gets +30 in his base attack whereas MegaBlaziken will only get +10? Like whut? Also, creating a whole slew of new Pokemon while also recreating every Pokemon that already exists seems like a lot of work, I don't think Gamefreak would go through that much trouble.

I still don't think Venusaur will be bad, but we'll see. If he turns out bad then it's sad because he has potential.

But holy shit, Baton Pass Blaziken is simply brutal. While he's definitely not dropping (especially with the ability to Baton Pass Speed Boosts + Swords Dances while being able to abuse these boosts himself), I am interested in Combusken, as he, too, will be able to abuse Speed Boost + Baton Pass. He might actually become viable in the lower tiers as a slower but bulkier and generally better Ninjask. Hell, in that case he would be even viable in OU, especially with setup bait like Forretress around. Switch in on a wall, Swords Dance on the assumed switch to a Combusken counter, Protect for an extra Speed Boost, then pass it on to something that counters Combusken's counter.

(oh god how will stall be viable ever again)
I dont think this will happen as far as combusken is concerned. If you look at tbe past games only the finak evos get the hyper beam elemental equivalents. Notice how there arent any pre evo mega forms yet. Look at the stones they need: blazikenite and lucaronite. Not combuskenite and riouite.

As far as speed passing i think this will be a great strategy and most likely auto ban.

So it seems safe to assume that starters, unevolved pokes like absol and other legendaries have mega forms. Megapinsir? Mega genies (because they dont have enough power as is...)

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Megamawile has stupidly high physical bulk.

Intimidate on switchin. Pursuit + sucker punch + w/e coverage You want ontop of its increased defensive stats. Not to mention steel/fairy seems decent as far as resistances are concerned.

Haruno

*w* Magic Bounce Mega Absol <3333
Magic bounce is one of the absolute worst mega abilities =/ it works as an antilead sure but unlike xatu/espy it can't switch in on a predicted non damaging move

Edit: I like how people overhype megablaze and don't realize that its counter (gira/o) always carry a phazing move and anything that does want that speed boost gets hit by either eq or dtail and its not like blaze can get pass giratina...... And unlike other things gira doesn't give two shits about tytar because of WoW.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magic bounce is one of the absolute worst mega abilities =/ it works as an antilead sure but unlike xatu/espy it can't switch in on a predicted non damaging move

Edit: I like how people overhype megablaze and don't realize that its counter (gira/o) always carry a phazing move and anything that does want that speed boost gets hit by either eq or dtail and its not like blaze can get pass giratina...... And unlike other things gira doesn't give two shits about tytar because of WoW.
Not really. Not at all actually. I understand where you're coming from, but this makes it very easy for Mega Absol to setup in the face of a ton of defensive Pokemon and potentially sweep. It can't be crippled by T-Wave, Will-O-Wisp, nor can something like Forretress setup Spikes in its face. Last but not least, nothing can phaze it out. You're focusing a bit too much on the defensive aspect of Magic Bounce and not realizing that this makes Mega Absol a very potent sweeper. It can't be stopped by status.

Haruno

Not really. Not at all actually. I understand where you're coming from, but this makes it very easy for Mega Absol to setup in the face of a ton of defensive Pokemon and potentially sweep. It can't be crippled by T-Wave, Will-O-Wisp, nor can something like Forretress setup Spikes in its face. Last but not least, nothing can phaze it out. You're focusing a bit too much on the defensive aspect of Magic Bounce and not realizing that this makes Mega Absol a very potent sweeper. It can't be stopped by status.
65/60/60 defenses aren't exactly what I call easy to set up with and considering how offensive the meta is (and most likely will be since no one likes stealing stall rmt.) Admittedly megaabsol will get a better speed but lets say that its speed is 100. Even then it'll be hard pressed to setup against offensive teams. Honestly I doubt it's even better than croak in terms of setting up ease.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haruno you are missing the point here. Magic Bounce is awesome on Absol because it works excellent with Sucker Punch. Faster Rotom-W can't do shit now to MegaAbsol, as it can't use WoW / T-Wave and the only option it has is to attack and get OHKOed by Sucker Punch, and slower Pokemon such as T-Wave Celebi and WoW Jellicent that relied on status to avoid Sucker Punch can't do this anymore. Did i mention that Breloom can't use Spore to avoid Sucker Punch anymore, and needs to be outspeed to OHKO Absol with Mach Punch, otherwise it gets nuked by +2 Sucker Punch? So Magic Bounce basically guaranteed that the opponent will be hit by Sucker Punch and won't be able to damage Absol indirectly, unless it has Substitute or Perish Song.

I personally think these mega pokes are awesome and I wish they would just release the game already.

This is a list of 10 pokemon I now want to get mega evolutions
1. Garchomp
2. Drapion
3. Feraligator
4. Infernape
5. Rhyperior
6. Galleade
7. Secptile
8. Tyranitar
9. Rapidash
10. Staraptor

I have no idea what they would look like except rapidash who should be either a pegasus or a awilcorn (horn and wings) and of course on fire.

Could we just add a new tier?

Uber
Mega
OU
BL1
UU
That probably won't be necessary. There are good indications that the Mega Forms will be about as viable as (if not less viable than) their regular counterparts, namely due to the inability to hold another item. Those that turn out to be much better than the regular forms might still not be broken in OU, and if any are, we can just ban them to Ubers like we would anything else.

There is going to be power creep each gen so, even if Mega Evos are ahead of the power curve, that'll just bring the standard of what's OU up a little. Besides, we don't have a tier between Ubers and OU called Legendary protecting OU from all those terrifying Mews (a former Uber that's now UU), do we?

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
guys guys guys

what if the stones do something lustreous orb-esque and have some sort of power boost/etc. in themselves?

There is going to be power creep each gen so, even if Mega Evos are ahead of the power curve, that'll just bring the standard of what's OU up a little. Besides, we don't have a tier between Ubers and OU called Legendary protecting OU from all those terrifying Mews (a former Ubers that's now UU), do we?
I wish we did, I hate facing Mew, so fucking versatile I never have a clue what it's gonna do

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I dont think this will happen as far as combusken is concerned. If you look at tbe past games only the finak evos get the hyper beam elemental equivalents. Notice how there arent any pre evo mega forms yet. Look at the stones they need: blazikenite and lucaronite. Not combuskenite and riouite.

As far as speed passing i think this will be a great strategy and most likely auto ban.

So it seems safe to assume that starters, unevolved pokes like absol and other legendaries have mega forms. Megapinsir? Mega genies (because they dont have enough power as is...)
well remember that we're getting an event Torchic with the ability Speed Boost and holding Blazikenite. If I recall correctly, this Torchic has access to egg moves so then Combusken should also have that.

Haruno

well remember that we're getting an event Torchic with the ability Speed Boost and holding Blazikenite. If I recall correctly, this Torchic has access to egg moves so then Combusken should also have that.
It doesn't have access to egg moves............ at the moment speed boost + baton pass are illegal on torchic + evos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)