Serious Australian Election 2013: Liberals win

Well i don't know much about Australian politics but since they are western like,i am sure that if elections could actually change something they would be illegal but guess its `better than having no elections at all it preserves that illusion.

I don't know Trax, to be truly complete I think it would require a miniature Clive Palmer making an ass of himself in the background.

Also, did anyone here actually bother to do the full 82 or whatever preferences for the senate?
I voted postally so I took an hour to do it (as a lot of parties I would consider numbering above the line preferenced in a way I can't condone, and there was a lot of One Nation preferencing going around) and numbered from 1-110; I used belowtheline.org.au for links to all the candidate parties' sites and to return the order of my ballot.

Sadly did not stop people from mistaking LDP (first on the ballot) for LNP and voting the Liberal Democrat Party, edging them in by a very small amount over the Greens in my state. ._.

I really recommend voting postally, btw... it's sooo easy to get a postal ballot, all you have to do is fill out a quick form online and declare you are eligible to have one (which I actually am, but they don't ask for the reason or anything). Much nicer to vote early from the convenience of your own home. No sausage sizzle, though.

I don't know Trax, to be truly complete I think it would require a miniature Clive Palmer making an ass of himself in the background.
Maybe -- though I don't know if I'd call it making an ass of himself as it's pretty entertaining, PUP is looking like walking out with 2 senate seats and possibly a house seat though. Worth noting that Palmer may have actually prevented a massive landslide against Labor in some seats by giving a protest option (in my home electorate, for instance, where Labor is up by about 70 votes with 70% counted -- Palmer United had ~7% of the primary vote and it's getting split fairly evenly).

Sadly did not stop people from mistaking LDP (first on the ballot) for LNP and voting the Liberal Democrat Party, edging them in by a very small amount over the Greens in my state. ._.
On the flip side though, if preferences were allocated as one would expect LDP would be getting in ahead of the LNP. Though admittedly that's not great, at least it's one less Abbott puppet.

Last edited:
I voted for house based entirely on my preference, none of those silly sheets of paper. I knew what my preferences were.

Voted above the line simply because it turned out I was in a rush, otherwise I would have definitely voted below.

Hate having to vote in Turnball's seat.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changed title because why not (although I did want to put boo in the title because really I don't see many Smogon members being pro-Abbott/Liberals)

Honestly I'm not going to enjoy Abbott being PM mainly because 99% of the time he acts like an idiot and makes dumb decisions. I'm interested in how long it takes Liberals to destroy most of the things Labor introduced and also how long it takes for Australia to realise they were better off without Liberals. Oh well. Here's hoping there's a major Liberal scandal sometime in the next three years.

Honestly I'm not going to enjoy Abbott being PM mainly because 99% of the time he acts like an idiot and makes dumb decisions. I'm interested in how long it takes Liberals to destroy most of the things Labor introduced and also how long it takes for Australia to realise they were better off without Liberals. Oh well. Here's hoping there's a major Liberal scandal sometime in the next three years.
At least with people feeling like they've vented their frustrations with Labor at federal level, some of the terrible Liberal state governments will probably be out on their arse in the next few years.

Abbott is going to struggle to do much for now; I think the NDIS (at least) is safe, I doubt Liberal can do any more damage than Labor already did on Asylum Seekers (in fact I think it'd be hard for them to do anything on that issue).

Carbon and Mining taxes are probably gone but with the mining tax so hideously watered down I'm less sad about that than I would've been otherwise, I wonder if the Liberals "direct action" plan can pass the senate either; I have my doubts.

Semi-related, but whichever imbeciles in both the Greens and Labor put Family First ahead of Stirling Griff (Xenophon's running mate -- all Independents in the Senate need 2 people to appear above the line) on their senate tickets in South Australia need to be thrown into a vat of boiling oil for being such fucking idiots. Once again Family First get a Senator elected with less than 4% of the primary vote because the supposedly left wing parties played silly fuckers with preferences.

I'd remain worried about the future of the NBN as well, to be honest. Was really hoping to keep Labor in for another 3 years, if only because it would most likely become too late for the Libs to do anything about the rollout. Let's just hope they're really hypocritical about this shit and won't go forward with their plans to limit it despite constant complaints about what a huge waste of money it is, like they've done with so many other things before.

PS: Fuck Telstra.

the
Changed title because why not (although I did want to put boo in the title because really I don't see many Smogon members being pro-Abbott/Liberals)

The media love the liberal party so even if there is a big scandal, we probably won't hear about as much as a labor scandal. It's scary how much power the media have over the minds of our country's citizens. I often hear people almost quote the herald sun directly.

I'm sad to see Abbott win, I'll think we will be a lot worse off with that clown running our country. The photo attached sums up his interests in our country.

Attachments

I'd remain worried about the future of the NBN as well, to be honest. Was really hoping to keep Labor in for another 3 years, if only because it would most likely become too late for the Libs to do anything about the rollout. Let's just hope they're really hypocritical about this shit and won't go forward with their plans to limit it despite constant complaints about what a huge waste of money it is, like they've done with so many other things before.
At the rate the NBN was rolling out, 3 years wouldn't be enough anyway.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The media love the liberal party so even if there is a big scandal, we probably won't hear about as much as a labor scandal. It's scary how much power the media have over the minds of our country's citizens. I often hear people almost quote the herald sun directly.
dw I have a journalism/broadcasting degree (although I have done nothing with that as of yet) and when I'm actually in the media I'll try and influence them in the right way. Sure there's the fact that the editors prefer pro-Liberal stories but there's ways around that and I plan to do that when I decide I want to get into the media. :3

At least with people feeling like they've vented their frustrations with Labor at federal level, some of the terrible Liberal state governments will probably be out on their arse in the next few years.
Ugh I hope so. I live in WA and I'm so over the Liberal government here and their "promises".

At least the senate went better than expected. Apart from the whole queenslanders getting the wrong paper and everyone voting the liberal democrats by accident.

At least the senate went better than expected. Apart from the whole queenslanders getting the wrong paper and everyone voting the liberal democrats by accident.
I think the LDP thing might actually just be the donkey voters putting "1" in the first box. Honestly though, can you really see a LDP Senator being *worse* than an extra LNP Senator?

I voted for house based entirely on my preference, none of those silly sheets of paper. I knew what my preferences were.

Voted above the line simply because it turned out I was in a rush, otherwise I would have definitely voted below.

Hate having to vote in Turnball's seat.
Honey, I had to vote in Barnaby Joyce's seat. Free win because Windsor retired.

Asek

Banned deucer.
if i could vote i would have voted for the hunters and fishers party because they would probably run the country better than the rest

Shooters and Fishers? God no.

Does anyone else feel 'sorry' for Ricky Muir, the unsuspecting senator from the Motoring Enthusiasts? Here is a log from my voting session (keep in mind I was voting below the line and there were 110 boxes in NSW):

[13:20:34] <&clarine> why do 'Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party' types even fucking run, christ
[13:20:37] <&clarine> all they do is clog up the ballot
[13:20:39] <&clarine> -________-
[13:21:33] <&clarine> they barely even have policies, lol

Looks like I was proven wrong! About the futility of their attempt to get elected, anyway. Although I'm sure they felt roughly the same as me. Now everyone's having a good laugh at his Facebook and there's literally a home video of him playing with kangaroo shit going around. A true victory for the little people. Now he's a future representative of the people in Parliament. At least it's probably less embarrassing than Kevin Rudd and his earwax...

Does anyone else feel 'sorry' for Ricky Muir, the unsuspecting senator from the Motoring Enthusiasts? Here is a log from my voting session (keep in mind I was voting below the line and there were 110 boxes in NSW):

[13:20:34] <&clarine> why do 'Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party' types even fucking run, christ
[13:20:37] <&clarine> all they do is clog up the ballot
[13:20:39] <&clarine> -________-
[13:21:33] <&clarine> they barely even have policies, lol

Looks like I was proven wrong! About the futility of their attempt to get elected, anyway. Although I'm sure they felt roughly the same as me. Now everyone's having a good laugh at his Facebook and there's literally a home video of him playing with kangaroo shit going around. A true victory for the little people. Now he's a future representative of the people in Parliament. At least it's probably less embarrassing than Kevin Rudd and his earwax...
Well.. at least he's not part of the Family First party.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly, I live in a very safe Liberal area. Fortunately though, I'll be moving next year. Wonder how long it will take for people to realise their mistake...

PS: Fuck Telstra.
Telstra will just buy the NBN from the government if the libs try to get rid of it.

I voted the Libs. I was annoyed with Labor and honestly the only thing they had going for them was the NBN which may end up going ahead anyway.

The worst thing about this whole election was the day tbh. The damn public annoyed me more than the MPs somehow. All you read or heard about from social media (and my mate I was with that day) was how "Australia is completely ruined... I wanna move countries... Libs had nothing..." and more and more crap. OK your party didn't win, that sucks but show some class people please. I'll admit Abbett isn't the great speaker or politician to ever enter our lives but you vote the party not the person (even if you did, it was a choice of the prove smelly turd or the could be smelly turd). Labor was ripping itself apart from the inside. Needed a change. Will we need one again in 3 years? Maybe. But give the Libs a bloody chance.

Ah yes, Liberals, the party of class (and incredible policies, such as ...)

In an arena of muckraking, the Liberals have set the public tone to be extremely negative and hostile. Is this a good thing? No, but I think you should look to the party you voted for first and realise that this was an extremely acid election, even for an election. It just strikes me as insanely hypocritical for someone who voted for the Liberals, who did nothing but spread disharmony and poison the nature of public discourse, is complaining about people having no class on Facebook.

Also sorry but people's material conditions are on the line here, especially those of us who are poor, disabled/of poor health, asylum seekers (admittedly I don't think any of us are asylum seekers), interested in protecting the environment, or in the country and with exorbitantly-priced bad internet (lol nats). I dont really blame people for being upset, Labor have introduced some incredibly important initiatives at a critical point and the Liberals are set to do nothing but tear most of them down. We should be moving forward and nationbuilding, not trying to go back to the stagnant era of John Howard. We should also be seriously trying to reach the emissions reductions targets for 2020, which the LNP (based on their policies) is only nominally interested in. If you don't like people's complaints then disable their updates?

I mean, vote for whoever you like, but the mudslinging started at the top. I don't blame people for venting.

This was an excellent column, imo. ALP would do well to take a hard look at themselves when they read it.

Last edited:
Honestly, Labor spent way too much time standing near a cliff and the media was all too happy to push it over. All the fuss about leadership distracted the public from their (arguably superior) policies. The Greens were the only party that seemed to denounce the relentless negativity of current politik.

And now i live in a state wherein Clive Palmer got more senate votes than the Greens O.O

Well, the media here is largely controlled by Rupert Murdoch, and it was incredibly biased.

I agree that Labor spent too much time being publicly petty though. It became a debate of personality and as usual populist rhetoric won out over informed policies. They're not mutually exclusive, it's just that that rhetoric is what generally wins elections like this. We don't have a presidential political system, but most people I believe do vote based on who is at the head of the party. And why shouldn't they? Most people's local representatives are terrible and who the Prime Minister is actually does matter. New England was blessed with Tony Windsor up until now =/

Labor were really terrible at selling the good job they'd done and allowed the idea that Liberals are superior economic managers etc. to prevail largely unchallenged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)