Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually pretty surprise Honedge is the one with an evolution. Helioptile is pretty small and was revealed much earlier, so I'm guessing it must have a pretty cool/unexpected evolution that they want to keep under wraps just a bit longer.

Looking at the comments on the facebook post and it seems that the majority of the fans dislike the design by a ratio of about 5:2. I'm not happy with people right now. I bet few actually hate it because it's not clichesuitofarmour/eeeveelution and the rest just hate it because it's a pair of the basic pokemon. As if that's a new idea that wasn't included in the original games.

Doublade = A victim of it's own hype

Ahh shit thought we were talking about as is... Why the hell would they do that? Well guess metagross is going to UU now... Gengar > life now son

Might as well call it TRi-edge

Steel had to be the other type to get the SE on Fairy.
1) It makes sense, mythologically.
2) Most of the other potential options simply have too many high-powered moves too broadly accessible to non-STABs.

Improving Steel means it had to lose something. Losing Dark/Ghost resist makes their less commonly seen moves more likely to show up now, especially with a reduced offensive Fighting presence from Fairy resisting it and Psychic being the most reliable anti-poison type. Psychic and Dark both being more common makes Bug as coverage (which is surprisingly more widely available than people may realize) much more useful. Bug being more useful improves the state of Fire as a bug resister.

Looking at the comments on the facebook post and it seems that the majority of the fans dislike the design by a ratio of about 5:2. I'm not happy with people right now. I bet few actually hate it because it's not clichesuitofarmour/eeeveelution and the rest just hate it because it's a pair of the basic pokemon. As if that's a new idea that wasn't included in the original games.
People are less likely to comment if they like something, especially to a faceless corporate arm. Facebook comments on corporate pages should only be noticed if they're overwhelmingly positive, that means you basically won the world for the day.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually pretty surprise Honedge is the one with an evolution. Helioptile is pretty small and was revealed much earlier, so I'm guessing it must have a pretty cool/unexpected evolution that they want to keep under wraps just a bit longer.
Or we could hope that it's a three-stage! Pokemon seems to follow patters with that...ampharos/manectric/luxray/zebstrika/3-stage electric helioptile evo!

Was either shinx/luxray revealed for gen 4?

Calling it: Honedge's final evolution is:

Santoryu (English Name: Zoro).
One of the eyes on the sheath would be scarred and it will have the ability: Wonder Miss, it will never be able to find it's opponent. Meaning if you got lost in a cave with this pokemon as a lead, gameover.
Gym leader: Christopher R. Sabat
Type: Steel
Pokemon: Honedge. Honedge. And another Honedge.
Battle style: Triple battle

Doublade is a cool pokemon. It's just not the pokemon I'd pick to pre-hype like they did, lols.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
And here I was obsessing what kind of fighting move Dablade (sorry that's how I pronounce it) would get to complete coverage....the only thing resisting Stee/Ghost now is Dark/Steel, Fire/Dark, Water/Dark and Electric/Dark. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but that means can now use the fourth slot for a variety of things, substitute, status, double dancing, hard hitting third attack to remove a certain wall that can live 2HKO, etc.

This is exciting news indeed. Except for the pink, why are my manly sword draped in pink?
Pink is the manliest of all the colors.

Not gonna lie....if Honedge doesn't have third evolution that's a four armed Dullahan duel wielding two swords and two shields I will probably Nintendercules.

I love Doublade's design, though it is unfortunate that he will not benefit from the near perfect defensive typing he would have had in Gen V. His pink tassels makes him more intimidating and thus appealing to me.

What does Nintendercules even mean?
I too would like to know this, as well.

Steel had to be the other type to get the SE on Fairy.
1) It makes sense, mythologically.
2) Most of the other potential options simply have too many high-powered moves too broadly accessible to non-STABs.

Improving Steel means it had to lose something. Losing Dark/Ghost resist makes their less commonly seen moves more likely to show up now, especially with a reduced offensive Fighting presence from Fairy resisting it and Psychic being the most reliable anti-poison type. Psychic and Dark both being more common makes Bug as coverage (which is surprisingly more widely available than people may realize) much more useful. Bug being more useful improves the state of Fire as a bug resister.

People are less likely to comment if they like something, especially to a faceless corporate arm. Facebook comments on corporate pages should only be noticed if they're overwhelmingly positive, that means you basically won the world for the day.
Steel isn't really going to see that much more use simply due to the inclusion of fairy types especially if they are losing a massive part of what makes them appealing. High defenses and resist. I don't understand why steels lost two important resist or two appealing resist rather. Steel types have many resistances, but they do no outweigh how common their weaknesses are in the metagame or how common they will be. Just because their offensive typing became slightly better don't mean they have to rape their defensive ones. Think about it steel types from an offensive stand point don't have much going for it. Se on 3 types two of which aren't even that commonly seen (including fairy). But is resisted by water, steel, fire, electric. This is a pretty big step man depending on the steel poke ghost will no longer need to run an hp move to bust their asses and will free up and extra slot for ghost to do more dumb crap than they already can.

Steel isn't really going to see that much more use simply due to the inclusion of fairy types especially if they are losing a massive part of what makes them appealing. High defenses and resist. A I don't understand why steel lost two important resist two appealing resist rather. Steel types have many resistances but they do no outweigh how common their weaknesses are in the metagame. Just because their offensive typing became slight better don't mean they have to rape their defensive ones. This is a pretty big step man depending on the steel poke ghost will no longer need to run an hp move to bust their asses and will free up and extra slot for ghost to do more dumb crap than they already can.

This will
Be aware that this is the first generation being designed with Game Freak not merely running off of general notions of balance, but through actually watching what gets used in competitive play. They have access to more information than we do. Steel lost two resists, picked up one, and two of their remaining resists are likely to become much more common as coverage - Psychic and their Poison Immunity. It also benefits passively from the fact that it's sharing the workload for countering Dragons with a type that has completely unrelated weaknesses, meaning that Dragons will have to vary their coverage pools.

If we want to discuss this further in depth, we should probably take it to the OU thread or to PMs, but I really don't think Steel's in a bad place right now.

Last edited:
A bit disappointed with the design.

I classify this as a filler update, the best is yet to come. Not long now.

I'm going for a venusaur/chespin starter combo. Who else is #TEAMGRASS

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Steel isn't really going to see that much more use simply due to the inclusion of fairy types especially if they are losing a massive part of what makes them appealing. High defenses and resist. I don't understand why steels lost two important resist or two appealing resist rather. Steel types have many resistances, but they do no outweigh how common their weaknesses are in the metagame or how common they will be. Just because their offensive typing became slightly better don't mean they have to rape their defensive ones. Think about it steel types from an offensive stand point don't have much going for it. Se on 3 types two of which aren't even that commonly seen (including fairy). But is resisted by water, steel, fire, electric. This is a pretty big step man depending on the steel poke ghost will no longer need to run an hp move to bust their asses and will free up and extra slot for ghost to do more dumb crap than they already can.
Dude, shut up, steel lost 2 resistances in favour of gaining one. So the net effect is that it has one more weakness. I mean how can you say that losing a net of 1 resistance is raping steel's defensive prowess, and gaining 1 super effective matchup making it slightly better.

Well, I tested Doublade on my 10 year old brother, and he went something along the lines of "ermagerhd". He absolutely loved it.

I think that Honedge and Doublade are really aimed at the younger generation. They are all obsessed with swords and fighting and having fun, and what could be more cool then a sword that actually unsheathes itself, and is a ghost as well? One of those that doubles when it evolves! I think that Gamefreak is really appealing to the boys that are <12, as this seems perfect for them - except for the pink, which is a bit dodgy to be honest. I think that points to another evolution really, as I don't think Gamefreak would aim something at boys which has a final evolution with a large amount of pink in its design. Middle evolution with pink is acceptable, as the pink will go away, and that shows the inferiority of pink. Perhaps it will go red eventually.

So, although Smogon or facebook, as an older market, may not like Doublade massively (especially as we get hyped up, kids get hyped about everything so this isn't different for them), it still does its job. I personally love Doublade, as it's really interesting and the ghost typing brings a whole new level to its story, whereas Vanillite was just icy ice cream.

To be fair, those comments are being made on Facebook, where the public page comments are only a step above Youtube.

[Shitty name for evolution with three swords]

Dude, shut up, steel lost 2 resistances in favour of gaining one. So the net effect is that it has one more weakness. I mean how can you say that losing a net of 1 resistance is raping steel's defensive prowess, and gaining 1 super effective matchup making it slightly better.
First off you check your self. This is a place to discuss things of this nature. So unless you have a legitimate point or can proved a better counter debate you can shut up because this is a big fuckin change.

You obviously don't understand the point of this post so let me assist you. Steel types are used to wall/check a countless number of things. Ghost being one of them. For example lets take scizor. Scizor can use gengar to an extent as setup fodder thanks to said resistances it can also pressure ghost into switching knowing they lack stab or a strong coverage move to threaten in it. Now skip to gen 6 gengar will no longer have to have the same respect for scizor or any of the primary steel types for that matter. Gengar now has a nearly unresisted offensive typing (only resisted by t-tar) he is now capable of running 2 attack sub sets even better and being more destructive than before.

Also if you were a competitive player you would understand the sheer amount of what you take or give to something is not important it is the over all value of the exchange that matters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)