Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 24: It's totally Hydreigon. But seriously, most adorably and cute and sexy and gorgeous has to go to Flareon for me. I mean, just look at it!
SO CUTE!!!

So behind. Between all the Gen VI leaks life being so crazy... ehhhh who'm I kidding, I have no life.

Between all the Gen VI leaks I've been ignoring this thread.

Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC in the Pokémon games?
Lt. Surge is pretty much the Fonze of the Pokemon world, both in terms of sheer coolness and in being a product of his time. Red and Blue were the type of games that blurred the lines between real life and the Pokemon world so much that you often wondered if it wasn't some kinda parallel universe or something. References to the moon landing, Pokedex entries talking about actual Earth landmarks, and, of course, the Lightning American. I don't think any modern characters are this obvious of a cultural caricature, except maybe Fantina. He's definitely a layered character, and by that I mean he might possibly be insane. The fact that he fought in an honest-to-goodness war with a Raichu at his side is kinda surreal, and I'd imagine seeing so many cute critters bite it by the hundreds affects you in a way that makes setting up a trash can puzzle in your gym seem perfectly reasonable. I can just see him coming back home to totally-not-Unova America after years of service, looking at his electric partners-in-arms, and deciding that he's gonna move to Kanto to start over on a new battlefield. One that'll let him teach kids some valuable lessons with a healthy does of humility.

Honorable mention goes to Youngster Joey. Yeah, he's not "cool" the same way Surge is, but he's just so... I dunno... enthusiastic about his buddy. He's just so proud of his little rodent it's almost touching. When I played Silver back in the day, I found him annoying like everyone else (I don't think it every occurred to anyone to actually take him out of our phone list), but I also totally got him. We all have our favorites, some of which aren't exactly what you'd call 'good', but we tend to look past that anyway. We should all strive to be in the top percentage like Joe.

Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
Maybe Cranidos? I'm actually struggling to think of something here. Not that I hate it or anything, it's actually my favorite fossil 'mon ever, but I just found it to be a little underwhelming despite its crazy, crazy attack power. With Choice Scarf it's actually not bad, but until you get one you have to deal with a very slow 'mon that has to rely on Head Smash to reach it's full potential, which of course has recoil. You'll end up using more hyper potions on this guy than anything else just to keep it chugging along.

Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
So many candidates... I won't even attempt to list them all, so I'll go with Pachirisu.

I almost feel kinda cheap picking him, since it's kinda designed to be, well, a 'cutemon'. Battle prowess and stats come second to pure, unbridled sweetness, but I can't help it. Mission accomplished, Game Freak. In my defense, I'm a sucker for cute rodents. And I don't mean Pikachu, who, while cute, kinda has more of a "teddy bear" thing going on. A little too rolly-polly. But Pachirisu works from it's pointy ears to it's big fluffy tale. Wanting to hug that thing doesn't make you a sissy, it just means you have a soul. I've said it before, but even though Gen IV isn't my absolute favorite, when the designs from those games work, they work. It Super Fanged my heart, and reduced my grumpiness by half.

Last edited:
Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?

A childhood friend and me were playing his Blue Version on his SNES.. about the end of 1999.

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?

The Red Gyarados, 'regular', a Nidoran F.

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?

I had a full Pokédex (incl. a cheated Mew, haha) on my Yellow.

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?

A Pidgeot in my Yellow.

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?

Tyranitar. I loved it right away when the Pokédex of Gen II was shown in a magazine. Caught my first Larvitar during a Summer holiday in Greece and final evolved it during a storm, the waves were crashing and I had this insane godzillaesque Pokémon, haha.

Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger?

Wow, I don't know. I got a Mew early on - so I didn't need a 'regular' one, the magazines said that Celebi wasn't able to be caught in the European versions of G/S, so I didn't think about it. When R/S were revealed, the internet was already a thing - so, I think, I didn't fall for any. I cried a lot when a friend once turned my game off without saving because another one told me months earlier that everything's going to be lost if I do this, haha.

Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most?

New Pokémon, I guess, haha. The first playthrough will be great - a balanced team out of the new ones. I love Mawile's Mega-Evo, so yeah.. that too. And the competitive changes of course.
Oh, and of the completely new ones not involving Pokémon - customization! Will spend endless hours on this one, haha.

Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"?

I always try to build a huge collection of flawless competitive Pokémon - and always lose interest because I'm not patient enough, haha. Boxes full of things to RNG-breed, but.. yeah.

Day 9: What is your favorite region and why?

Johto. Gen II is my favourite generation and has great lore with Ho-Oh and the trio. I also liked Hoenn for the space-theme, kinda mysterious and the last one with 'magic'.

Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be?

Better menu-structure, I've been a fan for about 14 years now - I wouldn't change any other thing. Sure, make this or that that type, evolution here, move there, but.. nope - the IV-system, maybe - easier/faster flawless breeding, with a 31 being a 50 % chance and all 6 stats; something along these lines.

Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game?

Beauty-contests with Milotic.

Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?

Each generation's intro - when Pokémon begin to fight.

Day 13: How do Colosseum/XD compare to other main-series games?

They're weak in comparison, although I loved to have Tyranitar in R/S.

Day 14: If you were given a pill that erases all memory of Pokémon, would you take it?

Seriously not, it's sweet childhood-memory that always manages to give me chills - or even shivers, for example when Mewtwo's first Mega-Evo was revealed.

Day 15: Which past feature do you want to return in XY?

Cloning, haha. No, I don't know. Secret bases.

Day 16: Did you enjoy the experience of starting fresh in BW?

Yes, loved it.

Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode?

I know that usually, haha. Ahm.. it's been so long - I think the one where Ash gets warmed by his first gen starters in the frosty cave. Or Charizard vs Magmar.

Day 18: If you could erase one Pokémon from existence, which one would you choose?

Nosepass.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?

Various erased gen I and II games.

Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?

Gen I, start.
Gen II, I knew the Pokédex by launch, but only pictures and typings.
Gen III, starters.
Gen IV, nothing - got this one kinda late, since my 'It's not cool.'-break happened between III and IV, haha.
Gen V, everything that was leaked here.
Gen VI, same.

Day 21: What are your plans for release day (October 12)?

I'm going to find time to play between studying and the things I'm doing in the evening, haha.

Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC in the Pokémon games?

I personally like Giovanni, Fuji and N.

Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?

In-game? Woah, I really don't know. Possibly Lugia, since Walls don't play so well against NPCs.

Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?

Snorunt!

Last edited:
1. Borrowing my cousin's Diamond version because I wanted more pokes on My Pokemon Ranch.

2. Shiny Zangoose on the village bridge in White. I had a heart attack.

3. White 2, actually. I bought a used copy of Platinum, and the guy who used to have it had like, ALL OF THE POKEMON. Even a few eventmons.

4. My Serperior in White.

5. Empoleon and Roserade. I used them both in Diamond, the first game I played. EMPOLEON IS A GIANT SUPERFIGHTING PENGUIN. ROSERADE IS A MASQUERADE DANCING BOQUET OF FLOWERS. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE? I just think they play so well together on a team.

6. None really. I got into pokemon when the omnipresent internet could give me info.

7. The new pokemon are magic.

8. On my first runthrough, I want a balanced team. EVERY POKEMON MUST HAVE TWO TYPES AND NO TYPES SHOULD OVERLAP

9. Sinnoh for me. First game, so I'm kinda biased. But I love the idea of team Galactic wanting to completely destroy the world instead of wanting $$$/Flooding/Killing the oceans.

10. More than one save file, for sure. Not to mention the evolutions and moves here and there. New types would make me happy.

11. Pokeathlon Dome. Yes.

12. Main theme breaking out during a tense battle.

13. Dunno. Never played them.

14. No. Just no. I am NOT relearning al of the competitive mechanics.

15. Underground was pretty fun, I guess. Convenient for evolutionary stones.

16. It was perfect. A whole new region with no outside pokemon, I would be happy with another region like that.

17. Don't watch the anime that much... (._.;)

18. Smoochum. Boy, do I hate me some smoochum. She knows what she did.

19. My DS dying and me not being able to find the charger to play Sapphire again.

20. Only started in Gen IV, so...
Gen V, Everything that didn't spoil the story
Gen VI, Same

21. PLAY ALL NIGHT

22. N, most definitely

23. Seedot, without a doubt. I mean, at least with Kakuna and such, you can struggle when you stop hardening, but Bide is the most infuriating move ever when it's the only attack you have. It was worth it to get the AMAZING SHIFTRY, though.

24. I'm seriously considering Dedenne for this spot... Wait. No. Politoed.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pansear. The fact that he was stuck with Incinerate until Level 22 was simply too much.

As much as I'd like to say Cyndaquil, or even Joltik, I have to say XD001.
I mean, look at it. Wouldn't you love to grab this little piece of corruption and hug it to death?

Oh my gosh this is the hardest question you've ever given why would you do this ??????

Okay but I had to make a hard decision, but I did it.

seriously if you didn't fall in love with Marill after seeing its BW animation don't talk to me

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?

If you are only buying one version, what made you pick it?

I'd like to start taking part in this. I'm going to answer today's question, but i'm going to try and go back tomorrow and answer all of the ones I missed.

I'm going to purchase Pokemon Y to start, with the intention of eventually picking up X. I decided I wanted Y early when I saw Yveltal, however, Mega Charizard Y set it in stone for me. My only successful competitive team was a sun-team, however I hated using Ninetales. Charmander has always been my favorite, since I picked him up in Gen 1 and refused to evolve him on my first play-through. I have since gained an appreciation for the entire Charmander family, and was thrilled to see Mega Charizard when he was first released (later revealed to by Mega Charizard Y). Drought on Charizard is going to finally make him competitively viable, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm thrilled to get to play through a game once more with a Charmander / Charmeleon / Charizard in my party. Bring on the Drought.

I'm definitely going with X because I like the mascot legendary more than Y.

Probably will not buy either of them, but wait like a cheapskate and wait for ... the roms so i can play on emulator my parents to buy me a 3ds. Probably Y though, Yveltal <3

Y. Both because I will continue my habit of picking the secondary version (the one listed second) and because Xerneas looks dumb while Yveltal is cool-looking.

If I were able to buy both, I would. Since I can't, I'll buy Y. I like Mega Mewtwo Y, Charizard Y, and Yveltal more than Mega Mewtwo X, Charizard X, or Xerneas. In fact, Yveltal is probably the main reason why I'd prefer Y over X.

I have both preordered and fully paid off! I've never gotten both on release day, and I don't intend to play them concurrently, but I figured I might as well get both while I have the money for it. Anyways, I'd end up with both of them eventually. Plus, cool timeline poster bonus at Gamestop for preordering both! :P

Y. I wanted Yveltal as soon as I saw it, and a friend of mine is picking up X because he wants Xerneas. I never buy both versions, because I don't see the need to pay twice for one game. Maybe someday, if enough version differences are included ... 5th gen was off to a good start with Black City/White Forest.

I will be buying Pokemon Y. I always buy the secondary version (with Heartgold being the exception). Ex: Blue, Sapphire, Pearl, White, White 2.

Bull of Heaven

I'm still not sure I've made my final decision, but I'll probably get X. Since I'm trying, with limited success, to avoid spoilers this time, my sole criteria for this decision are Xerneas and Yveltal. Both have great designs that suit their roles as the "life" and "destruction" Pokemon, but I was finally pushed toward X when their types were revealed. Dark/Flying is boring, while Fairy is new and exciting. It also helps that Xerneas' colourful antlers are the single most interesting feature of either design. Then again, I might just end up choosing one version early on and then buying the other a while later; that's what happened with Black and White.
[Xerneas?]
Yes, I chose Pearl back then despite disliking Palkia. No, it wasn't a great idea.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 25: I'm getting X. Yveltal appeals to me much more than Xerneas does, but I prefer Clauncher/Clawitzer to Skrelp/Dragalge and a friend of mine is already getting Y, so we'll figure out what the full list of version-exclusives is and then trade each other the missing ones that we want.

Day 25: I was going to get Y because Yveltal was so cool looking, but then Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Charizard X happened. I wanted them so bad I switched to X. Xerneas ain't so bad I guess.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Pokemon Y, no doubt. I actually decided on it back in january when the first trailer came out, i loved the appearance of Yveltal, plus its the first Big Dark legend, not to mention the fact that hes sole purpose is destroying isnt it? It will be cool to see how Team Flare plans to use and handles that kind of power.

Also, over the months, i have been getting more and more reasons to buy Y, MewBuu always looked badass to me, and when i compared it in my mind to Mega Mewtwo X, which to me seems like advanced skin cancer, and for newer news Mega Charizard X for which i have a declaration of hate (no matter how cool its artwork is, Gamefreak is blatantly bieng biased with him), Y seems to fit me.

Inb4 Mega Blaziken is exclusive to X tho.

i am getting X. i made this decision awhile ago & based it entirely off of xerneas/yveltal. while i was generally unimpressed with 4th/5th gen box legends [idk they just look unnecessarily mean and ugly i mean just look at giratina & zekrom. they're so powerful you'd think they'd have at least that to smile about] xerneas i feel was a nice change of pace from the last 2 gens' grotesque monster fetish. even yveltal has grown on me but dialga, palkia & giratina never will im sorry guys.

i notice some of you have a preference for "second" versions, my choice of X will be my third "first" making me dead even [blue, gold, sapphire, diamond, white, x]. if i think the game is that great/have a lot of free time i'll purchase y later but i haven't done this since R/S & i also dont have a second console anyway so i'd have to at least wait til post-pkmn bank.

Z/X2/Y2 i will definitely pick up though as i have done this every gen besides platinum & the sequel has always been my fav game of the generation [with emerald being my fav of all time. crystal & w2 close seconds tho but not that close]

I will be getting both, but I'm primarily gonna use Y, and have X for Pokedex/Nuzlocke things. I want to use Y because I think Yveltal looks cooler than Xerneas. I've also think Mewtwo Y is the superior Mewtwo form. The fact that my girlfriend is shooting for X is also a bit of a plus.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I suck at keeping up with this..

22: Red is the coolest ever. It could have almost been Blue if it weren't for his Champion battle team sucking so hard (Exeggutor with 3 moves? Ember as Arc's best fire move? Leer and Tail Whip on Rhydon? My poor defences!). N is also pretty cool

23: I've used some crappy Pokemon in my playthroughs, but most of the time i knew they were going to be bad anyway (I was really rooting for you Ledian!). On my first run of gen IV, I didn't know about the special/physical split and couldn't figure out why Gyarados and Scyther couldn't kill anything, so that sucked. But most recently would have to be my experiences with Pansage and Munna. I tried to go into gen V spoiler free, except I sort of heard little things about the dream world and saw pictures of it being advertised with Munna / Musharna, so I figured I had to catch one. It took me forever to find one (20% encounter rate my ass) and then when I tried to actually use it in battle it was horrible. And then there was Pansage who was just mediocre all game. I evolved him as soon as I got a Leaf Stone so he didn't learn any more moves either. This is the only reason I'm tempted to spoil X&Y for myself, so I can have a half decent run on my first go, but I won't....

24:

25: Argh this pains me to talk about! Haha. Since I saw the first Pokemon direct when they announced the games, I though Xerneas was the coolest, and decided there and then I wanted X. Then a friend of mine told me he'd been getting back into Pokemon and was psyched to get X. He was all "oh this is gonna be wicked we can trade for the starters and get all the version exclusives" but then I was all like "but dude, I want X too" except I didn't actually say that, because I didn't want to discourage him so I was actually all like "oh man that's sweet coz I want Y!" So now he gets all the sweet X exclusives. I'll get X for myself down the track though, I'm still pretty excited to actually be able to play alongside someone IRL, regardless of game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)