XY Experiences

I've only beaten the first game, but everything about X and Y are amazing. GF really paid attention to every little detail.

The new 3D world is incredible. It makes exploring and battling so much more enjoyable (I love the new Pokemon sprites especially)! Also, the changes to the menus and box UIs are almost perfect. Everything is very convenient and easy to access now. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but it sounds like even the older Pokemon got new cries, or they were slightly edited or something. And, of course, I think the customization is one of the best additions to X and Y. It's those little touches that won me over!

I haven't played the game enough to say how I feel about the actual story, so hopefully GF did a good job in that department as well!

Edit: One thing I don't like though, is the new summary page. The nature should be on the first page! Other than that it's fine :p

I've been playing for almost 8 hours, but I'm not even at the second gym yet. I am obsessed with Super Training. My Froakie is only level 15, but already has max speed and I haven't even used my Charmander yet, but it has max speed and the rest is split 80/20 between attack and special attack. At first it was pretty difficult, at least much more so than I thought it'd be, but once I got the hang of how the balloons move, it's fairly easy. I still don't understand the balls that shoot rapid fire, though. I'm not spending too much time on it though because outside of Froakie and Charmander, I'm not sure what my team is gonna look like.

I'm also nicknaming much more than I normally do (pretty much never). I named my Froakie Jiraiya (Naruto), and it literally only popped into my head as soon as I selected it; I did not plan it, but it's perfect for a frog ninja. My Pikachu is Enel (One Piece), Pansage is Mean Green, and Charmander is Mustang (Roy Mustang from FMA). My favorite though is Fletchling, which I have named Feus. Feu is French for fire and it's a pun on fuse, as in bombs and explosions. That one I've thought about before.

The only real disappointment for me so far is the 3D. It doesn't pop as much as I thought it would, and so I just leave it off. I may turn it back on once the more advance moves start appearing more often, though.

EDIT: Oh yea, I've been sitting on everything. Such a small feature has me so amused. Whenever I do Super Training I make sure to sit down somewhere.

EDIT 2: I just had my first horde encounter with a bunch a Scraggy. So annoying. Just a constant barrage of Leer and Sand Attack. Kinda hate it. Maybe it wont be so bad once I have an attack other than Growl that does spread...

Last edited:
I've now been through an hour's worth of fennekins and I've seen a mere 3 females, all of which had -spa natures. Obviously my luck is being saved for a flawless yveltal, or so I shall tell myself.

Edit: female calm fennekin. Good enough. Also, tierno is ugly.

Edit: calm fennekin was somewhat stubborn which dooms its ivs. Kept going, got a hasty nature with alert to sounds. Keeping this one for real. Tierno still ugly.

Last edited:
So the day has finally come. Not just for X & Y, but for me finally entering the current generation of gaming. Bought a 3DS just for the occasion earlier this week (midnight purple - very stylish). I had to go into work for a little bit this morning to take care of some things, but I timed it so I arrived at the GameStop a few minutes after they opened and there was still a line. Great seeing so many fans from so many age groups getting it, from the parents who were roped into buying several copies to Pikachu Hat Guy. Especially Pikachu Hat Guy.

Already up to the first gym, and it's been great so far. Everything is streamlined in such a productive way, from the UI to the being able to run right out of the gate without jumping through hoops of text. The story moves fast, but there's a little more going on with you and your friends this time instead of them popping up unannounced like in a Seinfeld ep. I'm now a card-caring member of #TeamChespin, and it feels good, man. Finally managed to get a female one after about 10 resets, which I'll breed later if I decide I want one with a good nature. Also, easiest first battle in the entire series. Zigzagoon's little side-to-side trot when it attacks is so, so neat.

Ok so i downloaded the game last night and all i have to say is that its great and that vivilon is amazing, by far the best early game bug i've ever used with out a doubt, struggle bug wipes everything out. and omg litleo is soooooooo much stronger than i anticipated and that odd normal/fire coverage is actually pretty stellar.
In addition to all that, the chespin line is fucking beast! Destroys the first gym with rollout and has enough bulk to live pretty much every hit the AI try to through at it. flabebe's ok but once it evolves it destroys everythingggg, those special stats are ridiculous.

on a final note: i hate horde encounters (fuck u scraggy) and catching solrock and lunatone is probably/hopefully going to be my only bad experience with this game lol

The online features are SO well done, not having to trek back to a pokecenter is awesome and the speed at which it all flows is such an improvement over previous iterations.

Wonder trade seems like a cool concept.

Also - my fav little graphical highlight so far - when you heal at a pokecenter the pokemon being healed are displayed on the screen behind the nurse. Just an awesome little touch!

Just got home with my copy of Pokemon Y. About to start it up for the first time and choose Chespin.

Looks like the RNG will forever be the same jerk it's always been. Thought the free Torchic would be a good pickup for the team. The game, however, absolutely refuses to give me one with an attacking nature and Attack IVs...

Fennekin is just awesome. It recently became a braixen, and watching it cast spells with its stick made me cream my pants a lot.

Caught a killer flabebe too, but I'm extremely disappointed to realize its not part grass type. I'm not sure why I always assumed it was grass...maybe because, I don't know, it's riding around on a freaking flower?

Minor nitpick. Game is phenomenal.

Im on my 5th gym but i wanna try something different. Only use 6gen pokes, but i need someone to trade my main pokes and then re send me :(

games pretty fun and has alot of things to do. Somehow I managed to get 3rd stage Starter evo by the second gym without grinding hard at all, dunno if that's a good or a bad thing.

Also, since i have X through digital.... i'm noticing a few glitches, dunno if it has something to do with my SD card or not but sometimes animations are skipped or, in the case of my mega venusaur using venoshock the animation freezes mid cast. Just wanted to put that out there

Got the game and a 2ds last night at a midnight release, best decision of my life. I started with Fennekin and picked up Bulbasaur, very happy with both of them.

The graphics and animations are amazing, they make everything so much prettier. The game itself is outstanding, no complaints at all so far. I'm very impressed by the variety of pokemon early in the game, definitely a lot of replay value there.

All in all, a great buy!

Also it helps that the game has already given me two shinies...

Been playing for a couple hours now and I've only just now gotten my 2nd gym badge. I'm not sure if I was just going super slow, but the gap between the two gyms is massive. I really liked that. Kalos feels like a very "big" world, and I also like how they've named each route now as well.

Viola was a surprisingly tough first gym battle (and that guy's Ledyba really put up a fight). I went in with Fletchling thinking I could just sweep through with Peck. Surskit didn't give me too much trouble but Vivillon was another level. Infestation was a bit difficult to deal and Vivillon was bulkier than I expected.

Grant wasn't too bad. I decided to lead with my level 20 Pancham. Amaura tried to put up a fight but that quad-weakness to Karate Chop did him in. Tyrantrum brutalized my poor Pancham and then went toe-to-toe with Riolu. Almost lost Riolu to a critical hit and some flinch-hax, but I won.

Hordes aren't as difficult as I first expected... Then again I've only encounter Gulpin, Psyduck and Zubat hordes so far. The Zubat horde was a bother but that was because I was trying to take them out one at a time. Bad idea. These add a nice new 'panic' element to random encounters.

The sheer amount of Pokemon available is incredible. So many options! I don't know what to use. And, there is still so much more ahead.

My team at this moment in time is currently: Frogadier, Fletchinder, Riolu, Ivysaur, Espurr, Pancham

The new EXP Share isn't as broken as I expected... If anything, it just makes my team more uniform in level and not necessarily overleveled. It cuts back on having to grind everyone individually, or having to deal with trying to train a weak Pokemon. I love that each Pokemon in battle is given 100% EXP (instead of it being divided up), which is a blessing for double battles. Granting EXP even when you just make a capture is awesome (and makes total sense, since they still battled right?), and again really cuts back on the need to grind. I think my team might be a bit overleveled but I don't think it's making the game so much easier; it's fine.

Picking a team is hard. I want a Fairy type, but not sure which (possibly Ralts but don't want to double up on Psychic types). I might drop Pancham since I already have Riolu but I want to use both (and I want to use Hawlucha as well...). So many decisions. Ivysaur is so useful but I've used it a couple dozen times playing gen1 so... Gah!

the number one thing that has blown me away about the game so far is the sheer depth of it. i've put 10 hours in since getting X this morning and i just now have completed the fossil quest at Ambrette. yeah, 1 gym badge, 10 hours and i'm head over heels for this game. for the first time in the franchise i actually want to go into the tall grass because i literally do not know what will come next - even on the 10th or 11th encounter. its so refreshing man, they found a way to make the most annoying part of the game enjoyable. i've been deliberately searching for every pokemon on each route and am pleasantly surprised to come into this thread and see that i havent even encountered some of them yet (litleo, riolu)

team building is kind of overwhelming though because there's just so many options...the equivalent of an entire kanto regional dex before the second gym and i just...wow. i'm the kind of guy who plans out his team long before i even start the file, but this time i'm just doing things on the fly, being spontaneous and it feels great. my current team is Frogadier / Fletchling / Ivysaur / Amaura. i kinda wanna use Sylveon but thats really the only one that im even thinking about - the rest i'll just add on the fly. wow this is so exciting

my only complaints would be that your rivals are annoying (but what else is new). i'm playing as the girl character and i don't get Calem's angle - he literally has no personality or backstory except that apparently he thinks he's better than everyone else in the group bc his parents were maybe good once?? he's even more boring than may/brendan from RSE but granted i've barely scratched the surface of this game so what do i know. i've also heard some complaints about Tierno but he's definitely made me laugh like all 2 times he's appeared. the rival that pisses me off is the know-it-all nerd fuck with the orange hair. idk man he just gets on my nerves always killin Tierno's vibe and whatnot. "consider this my version of a pokemon battle" hey fuckboy here's an idea: this is pokemon where we battle so how abt u get ur nose out the goddamn book, lose the lameass excuses and actually have a battle jfc???

also i got lost in luminose but i dig the concept. but why is every shop a cafe

Current team:
Qualladin Lv.22
Panpour Lv.17 (will be replaced by Skrelp)
Flabebe Lv.15
Charmeleon Lv.18
Honedge Lv.13
Snorlax Lv.15 (will be replaced by something else, don't know yet.)

One badge, at the shortcut cave to Ambrette. I'm really linking this game.

As of this post, I have just beaten Clemont with a team of Gabite / Sylveon / Lucario / Doublade / Venusaur / Greninja. This game is always making me second-guess what Pokemon my team should have. Sylveon is a replacement of Axew, who was a replacement of Tyrunt, that's how bad it is. I'm having a fun time with the game, though I'm not sure if I like it more than BW2 or not. One thing I have to mention though, the people of Kalos are incredibly freaking generous.
  • Guy wants a Luvdisc. Gives me a level 20 Steelix in return that can wreck the town's gym.
  • I spend a good amount of time hunting down a Riolu and training it to a good level to keep up with my starter. I get a free level 32 Lucario w/Lucarionite at the Tower of Mastery anyway, with a better nature than my first one.
  • Not long after that, a guy gives me a level 30 Lapras.
The level range of XY must be freaking huge as well, since I managed to fully evolve my starters before getting my fourth badge, and I wasn't even trying to grind. I'll post something else later once I get further into the game.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
First day of playing Y and it's been a blast thus far! As usual, I try to forget about IVs, EV training and such for the most part on my first playthrough, and just focus on enjoying the game. I like that magical feeling of adventure at the start of every Pokemon game, and XY is no exception!

I always do my first run with purely new Pokemon, so as much as I wanted to use my old pal Bulbasaur, I'll have to revisit him after the story! Chose Fennekin and SR'd enough to get a Hasty-natured female, and since then I've picked up Fletchling, Skiddo, Vivillion, and now Honedge. The game sure starts off at a fast clip! I have over 50 in my Pokedex and I'm not even to the 2nd gym yet... currently left off at the Daycare.

I love the new wireless features (Wonder Trade is too addictive...) and obviously the new 3D battle graphics are amazing. Braxien's "spellcasting" animation is the best, period.

The rollerskates finally allow you to move quickly without mashing 'B' constantly, hallelujah! (although they're clumsy to use in tight spaces, which is annoying).

The only things I really dislike so far is the confusing camera in Luminose city, an occasional framerate drop in battle (still trying to figure out why) and the normal Trainer battle theme music is awful. Obviously all minor compared to the fun I've had so far!

Just Finished X in a 22.5 hour real time gaming marathon, I've been playing non-stop since I picked it up at Midnight....
I've also been up for 34 hours at this point. I am going to bed after this post heh.
These games were simply amazing. The graphical improvement (for a Pokemon game, b/c heck we could say compare it to BF4) is just amazing. The Pokemon models are gorgeous.
The animations and all movements are simply fluid. I thought GF was going to mess everything up by moving away from a tile system and they simply proved me wrong.
These games are by far one of the best Pokemon games to date.
My only issue was the Exp. Share, it was too OP. giving exp to all party pokemon and still giving 100% exp to battling Pokemon. It made it too easy. I had a lv 80 going into the champion battle.
Super Training was nice. Nice to know I know longer have to keep track of EV counting or fighting 100 of the same Pokemon. Takes about an 1 to 1.5 hours depending on how good and attentive you are to fully EV train a mon.
I'm sure some people can get it down to 30 minutes.
Also for anyone banking on buying the gen I starter megastones, they are 1,000,000 PokeDollars a pop, so if you have two copies I wouldn't count on that method.
It looks like you have to buy them in order too, but I am not sure yet. I started with bulbasaur, and I only have the option to purchase Charizardite X at the moment, I'll come back to this when I buy it (hoping it's not a hoax and 999,999 Pokedollars is the max).

like many people i'm almost overwhelmed by the depth & beauty of the games. without a shadow of the doubt the best made pokemon ever, and i've clocked 11:25 having just finished the 2nd gym and ventured a little in to the next route.

just a few things is all:
in my opinion, not enough new pokemon in the game
exp share is too good
battles lag when on 3d, which is a shame so i can only battle in 2d.

other than that though, well done nintendo. completely refreshed a 16 year old series.

team building is kind of overwhelming though because there's just so many options...the equivalent of an entire kanto regional dex before the second gym and i just...wow. i'm the kind of guy who plans out his team long before i even start the file, but this time i'm just doing things on the fly, being spontaneous and it feels great. my current team is Frogadier / Fletchling / Ivysaur / Amaura. i kinda wanna use Sylveon but thats really the only one that im even thinking about - the rest i'll just add on the fly. wow this is so exciting
I am having this exact same problem. There are so many Pokemon I wanna use, but I just can't figure out how to fit them in. Right now I have:

Frogadier (Jiraiya)
Charmeleon (Mustang)
Fletchinder (Feus)
Skiddo (Buggy)
Honedge (Lancelot)
Pancham

The first three are locks. I know it's probably a bad idea to have two Fire/Flying types, but Fletchinder and I have become bros, and so he ain't going anywhere. Besides, Charizard will eventually be my Mega, so he's more of a Fire/Dragon than Fire/Flying. Skiddo is a bit of a weak spot, but he has such great synergy covering my Grass, Electric, Water, and Ground weaknesses. He's not bad, but at level 17 his best move is Razor Leaf, and I don't know when he evolves or learns better attacks. I'm hoping Gogoat will be a notable improvement. Honedge is constantly in BEAST MODE, so I don't know how I replace someone that good. Pancham I plan on eventually replacing with Lucario, who will be my Mega until Charmeleon evolves, though I do like Pancham.

However, where am I supposed to fit Inkay, Amaura, Helioptile, Sandile, Snorlax, Hawlucha, Absol, Litleo, and all the other Pokemon I've got stored in boxes or haven't ran into yet but will fall in love with immediately? Hell, I'm not even at the second gym yet (~15 hours of play) and I'm already having a Team Identity Crises, which I guess is a good problem to have.

I predicted this while the Pokedex was still being leaked, but the team possibilities really are endless. I foresee myself playing this game a dozen different times to try all the different combinations.

Last edited:
I just want to echo the general sentiment about the sheer depth of this game. I played for 8 hours straight yesterday and don't even have two gym badges. I actually go into every building and talk to every person and spend time in every patch of grass to see what's in there. I'm not sure what makes this game so engaging as opposed to past pokemon games that felt like a chore at times; perhaps it's the sheer beauty of the environment they've created. It's too awesome for words.

That being said, there are so many pokemon that I can't decide on a team! Right now i have braixen, flabebe's evo, venusaur and tyrunt, but some of those are already replacements for pokes I've let go and I'm not even at the 2nd gym! It's a good problem to have.

One extremely minor nitpick is how cool it is that npc trainer sprites are now official artwork, but they only ever show the top half. I like sugimori's stuff and I want to see it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)