Pokémon Dragalge (HA confirmed to be Adaptability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

General Information
Pokedex Number
Types - Poison/Dragon
Base Stats [Serebii] - 65 HP / 75 Atk / 90 Def / 97 SAtk / 123 SDef / 44 Spe

Ability 1 - Poison Point: The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with POISON when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon.

Ability 2 - Poison Touch: When the Pokémon attacks its opponents with a move that causes Physical Contact, there is a 20% chance that the target is Poisoned.

Dream World Ability - Adaptability

Confirmed Moves:
(will edit more details when they are available)

Scald
Hydro Pump
Surf

Venoshock
Toxic
Twister
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Tail

Poison Tail
Thunderbolt
Return
Double Team
Sludge Bomb
Aqua Tail
Protect
Focus Blast
Toxic Spikes
Draco Meteor

Shadow Ball
Thunder

Currently there aren't too many details regarding Dragalge's movepool. We can probably assume it has access to Draco Meteor given pretty much every other dragon type does. Many potentially viable sets will depend on Dragalge's access to more support moves. Currently it seems like dragalge's physical movepool is very small but that may change in the future if we discover more moves it has access too.
Potential Movesets

Dragalge @ Leftovers
Modest | 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Poison Point | Poison Touch
- Hydro Pump / Scald / Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse

With seven potent resistances and an impressive 131 base special defense, Dragalge is a quintessential special tank, with enough bulk to avoid the 2HKO from LO Gengar Shadow Ball 98% of the time after Stealth Rock. Moving an additional 12 EVs to SDef ensures survival. A Draco Metoer is guarenteed to KO Gengar in return if Stealth Rock is up. On the offensive side, Dragalge is quite weak, but it does have enough power to KO more fragile Pokemon that are weak to one of its moves. More defensive Pokemon are usually 2HKOd unless the invest heavily in special defense. There are numerous options for the first move - Hydro Pump is second only to Dragalge's STAB moves in power, but the reduced power makes it less attractive in gen 6.

Scald is a strong option, as the burn chance discourages many Pokemon looking to exploit Dragalge's poor defense. However, the reduced power does make you more vulnerable to ground-type Pokemon such as Gliscor you could otherwise KO on the switch. Surf is a happy medium of accuracy and power, but probably not worthwhile - one of the other two options will usually be better. Thunderbolt rounds out the coverage but is frequently weaker than the other moves. Thus, it may be worth replacing with Dragon Tail, Protect or even Toxic if you don't need the coverage.

A more defensive set may also be viable, but is dependant on a better support movepool. If Dragalge does not recieve any more supportive moves a defensive set is most likely not viable. The special tank set might also be viable with a Life Orb or Choice Specs, but giving up leftovers compromises Dragalge's modest bulk. Overall, it does not appear to be a top-tier threat but should definitely have a niche in lower tiers and may see use in OU as the only dragon with super-effective STAB coverage on Fairy-type Pokemon.
Checks and Counters

Strong Psychic or Ground-type attacks will be Dragalge's worst nightmare - particularly the latter, as they will frequently hit the seadragon's mediocre defense stat. Ground types will, however, have to be careful switching in, lest they get maimed by Hydro Pump. Ice moves are also a good option, but due to Dragalge's superb special defense many weak or unstabbed ice moves will fail to dent it - Helioptile requires a Life Orb to 3HKO over 90% of the time after Stealth Rock.

Dragon types will also have little trouble taking Dragalge on, but the same is also true in reverse, so they will have to be careful switching in on it. Many dragons would also hate to be burned by Scald, so they will have to be more wary when facing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that the sleep mechanics have changed, maybe rest talk is viable?

Dragalge @ Leftovers
Calm | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Poison Point
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Tail

This set counters Volcarona, Thundurus-T, Jolteon, Keldeo, Rotom-W and Venusaur.

Why have Poison Touch and no physical contact moves? Makes more sense to have Poison Point This thing is also soooo slow. I'm really disappointed. This typing feels like the perfect candidate for a glass cannon, a 110 atk/satk stat with 125 spe or something.

Apparently Dragon Tail fails to phaze heavy targets in Gen 6 (Serebii reported Lapras not being switched out after it got hit), so it's no longer a reliable phazing move, especially considering you'd use it on steel-types who tend to be heavy and wall Dragalge.
Wait, how would do you define "heavy" targets? Is there a specific threshold, or is it relative to the user?

Wait, how would do you define "heavy" targets? Is there a specific threshold, or is it relative to the user?
Probably need to test this, as it could have metagame effects.

What would use Poison Touch in the movepool? Waterfall/Dragon Tail/...Poison Tail? Gunk Shot? I don't know.

Metagross is definitely a hard counter to this guy. Zen Headbutt destroys it and it's immune or heavily resistant to both it's STABs, and is only wary of taking a Scald Burn on the switch.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
What a disappointment Dragalge turned out to be. I love it, and it's a wonderful design, but it looks like there's just not enough going for it. Those poorly distributed stats are the main problem... it has solid defenses but 68 HP holds back his defensive potential. Respectable offenses as well, but a surprisingly awful 61 Speed ruins any hopes there. Its abilities do nothing to help either. As such the only role Dragalge can really fill is a special tank while using Dragon Tail to phase. It's still a very solid choice, but there are probably better options in OU. I see him as a big threat in lower tiers though.

To be honest, I almost wish it kept Skrelp's Water/Poison typing and STAB Scald.

My Dragalge learns Shadow Ball via TM, another usefull move (not that much, but i think that deserves a mention)

Last edited:
I have been talking to some people and thinking it over, but would a Toxic staller set be good on her?

Black Sludge
Toxic
Venoshock
Dragon Pulse
Protect/Thunderbolt/Surf

252 in HP and SpD, rest it SpA. Calm Nature.

Just throwing that out there. I like the idea, and it would work with with my Def+ Chesnaught I have with Leech seed and Spiky Shield, and my Def + Aegislash with Kings Shield. Only thing it will have a problem with is the STeel/Fairy pokemon, but any set would have some problem with that pokemon.

Hey, can anyone check if Dragalge can learn Toxic Spikes through breeding? It sounds reasonable that it could. You would need to do a breeding chain from Tentacool to Omynite to Skrelp though to see.

EDIT: I got a Male Tentacool with Toxic Spikes, now I just need a female Omanyte. Anyone have an extra?

Last edited:
I think it's just wild pokemon cannot phaze you out. or maybe level based.
Ah ok. Level based makes sense.

Also they gave me a Male Omanyte... because I couldn't specify a female one. Great. Still need a female Omanyte @Dip0matt My FC is 1848-1662-8838

Ah wait, I just got one from the GTS for the female skrelp I put in. I'll start breeding now to see.
oh awesome. let me know if he can learn the spikes. if so could you trade me a male baby omanyte with spikes? been breeding for a shiny skrelp for like 3 days now :/
no luck yet

oh awesome. let me know if he can learn the spikes. if so could you trade me a male baby omanyte with spikes? been breeding for a shiny skrelp for like 3 days now :/
no luck yet
Actually I still need one. I couldn't specify for a female but asked for a female. Guy still sent me a male. So if you have a female that would be great

do you have a mareep? i can get one of gts if you do
I do not sadly, and I saw that. I am still pretty early in the game in Y. I only got a Skrelp for breeding because a friend traded one for me. I am only just by the Breeding center. Been spending too much time on Amie and super training in both versions of the game

lol i did the same just a little farther. i could go catch one but im terrified of running into a shiny i dont want. that would be my luck. you an raise up an abra and trade a kadabra for one. im still trying to get it though

I think it's just wild pokemon cannot phaze you out. or maybe level based.
Probably is level based, Roar and Whirlwind had a chance to fail against superior levels.

BUT THIS IS OFF TOPIC. AND SO IS THE DISCUSSION TAKING UP THIS THREAD. MOVE THAT ELSEWHERE PEOPLE.

ON THE SUBJECT OF DRAGALGE...

I know this thing is bad, but in the lower tiers (RU maybe? NU?) I can see a Choice Specs or Scarf maybe being used. Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse/Surf/Sludge Wave or Bomb (I'd put good money on this thing getting Wave through breeding or level up or something) has good coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)