Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I heard somewhere that ducklett and surskit are in the same egg group. it might have someone tooting a non existent horn though.

EDIT: Just checked and yes, Surskit and Ducklett are in Water 1. So it may actually be possible if you breed a surskit with Defog from Ducklett who gets it from level up.
Unfortunately Surskit can't have Defog as an Egg move same as the Powder move..

Sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in this thread, but at what level does Ariados learn Sticky Web? I checked the move tutor and it didn't show up as an option. Do I have to breed my Ariados to get a Spinarak or something? I've been lurking around for a while and I can't seem to find my answer.
LV58, apparently.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ariados.3489338/

Research threads can be convenient for stuff like this, if you ever find yourself wondering about anything else.

I've mentioned this theory before but don't know of anyone has attempted it and I don't have the games yet I cannot do it myself. But it is possible that perhaps the Stage 2 of the early bugs could learn it as they have different level-up moves than there stage 1 and 3 counterparts...

In other words maybe caterpie and butter free can't learn it but perhaps leveling up a metapod could show results? Just a suggestion but one that may deserve a trial run on things like metapod, kakuna, spewpa, cascoon and silcoon (leveling the stage 2 to high levels without evolving them to their final evolution)

Again this may be a far fetched idea but who knows, I'm curious if anyone is willing to check this to debunk or prove if they can or cannot learn this. We pretty much know the stage 1 and stage 3 don't learn them up until the late 20s but not much has been tested beyond that, let alone the stage 2s.

Any takers?

EDIT: the reason to test is the assumption that butterfree/beedrill etc. would not learn metapod/Kakunas moves through heart scales as they have different learn sets

That's a real shame, it does still have the ability to trap quiver pass with something like Infestation / Baton Pass / Quiver Dance / Sticky Web, with the plus 1 something slow could take real advantage.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
I think you should, because it is in no way better than Compoundeyes Thunder. The paralysis chance royally screws up faster leads such as Aerodactyl itself, while Unnerve is an incredibly situational ability on a lead since Focus Sash is way more common than berries.
Unnerve is used to beat things like custap skarm, letting it only get up one hazard since custap won't activate. Thunder is pretty strong though, even though Galvantula has only base 97 satk.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Jellicent: 282-332 (69.97 - 82.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Jellicent: 306-362 (75.93 - 89.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swarm is also a neat option as being knocked down to your sash lets you get off a strong bug move.

252 SpA Swarm Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 260-308 (64.35 - 76.23%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 174-206 (43.06 - 50.99%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Swarm Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 132-156 (32.67 - 38.61%) -- 3.17% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 88-105 (21.78 - 25.99%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- possible 4HKO

Looking at those calcs though swarm seems inferior to the other two abilities.

Guys, I just discovered that Galvantula learns Sticky Web by level up at 65. Attached screenshot shows that it learns it by level up, I couldn't get one of the level that would prove it was only then.

This suggests that Joltik actually does get the move, albeit it presumably at a ridiculously high level. Unless my understanding of the mechanics are wrong and move-relearner moves are otherwise known to be gained by level up naturally.

http://imgur.com/QJ2wl3i

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but according to Serebii's attackdex, Surskit gets Sticky Web at level 46, and isn't mentioned in the OP. Masquerein could prove to be a decent setter in lower tiers if it doesn't get hit by SR.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but according to Serebii's attackdex, Surskit gets Sticky Web at level 46, and isn't mentioned in the OP. Masquerein could prove to be a decent setter in lower tiers if it doesn't get hit by SR.
Someone already proved that Surskit does in fact get this at Lv. 46.

Smeargle is going to be able to use it at least, so it'll have some use in higher tiers.
Considering all the nerfs to Spore this gen, perhaps it'll even be Smeargle's new niche, along with Geomancy passing.
Geomancy? Are you kidding me? It could use 2 Quiver Dances and get the same benefit without giving the opponent as much of a chance to wreck its ****.

Geomancy? Are you kidding me? It could use 2 Quiver Dances and get the same benefit without giving the opponent as much of a chance to wreck its ****.
Presumably with Power Herb, just like Xerneas.

Probably better off just using Shell Smash and saving its item slot, though.

Sticky web is WAY too good.

I'm using it on Wifi with Galvantula, Breloom and Gardevoir.

Breloom and Gardevoir being able to outspeed almost everything makes battling a joke. Goddamn Spore man.

can someone try powerleveling a sewaddle? it just seems like the kind of pokemon (with the sticky thread thing in its dex entries) to get sticky web...

can someone try powerleveling a sewaddle? it just seems like the kind of pokemon (with the sticky thread thing in its dex entries) to get sticky web...
I have a swadloon in one of my friend's safaris...so I can go catch one and breed a sewaddle I suppose.

Last edited:
I like the idea that Ariados will see some use in the lower tiers.
Perhaps Magcargo will also be more useful now as a strong counter with access to RS.

Are Rapid Spin and Haze really the only ways to clear this? Are there no fire attacks or anything else that might cause them to burn up or something?

Hmm. I was just thinking earlier if this becomes more common I might have to run something with contrary or maybe even bisharp to get a plus two attack. Imagine if Serperior's contrary get's release. It can potentially be good. I can see trick room teams probably rising from the benefits of sticky web.

Presumably with Power Herb, just like Xerneas.

Probably better off just using Shell Smash and saving its item slot, though.
Smeargle not running a Focus Sash is a dead Smeargle. We'll leave Geomancy to Xerneas.

Guys, I just discovered that Galvantula learns Sticky Web by level up at 65. Attached screenshot shows that it learns it by level up, I couldn't get one of the level that would prove it was only then.

This suggests that Joltik actually does get the move, albeit it presumably at a ridiculously high level. Unless my understanding of the mechanics are wrong and move-relearner moves are otherwise known to be gained by level up naturally.

http://imgur.com/QJ2wl3i
My Lv. 40 Galvantula can learn Sticky Web via Move Reminder. Granted, it was from the GTS, so it might be an egg move for all I know (forgotten egg moves can be relearned via Move Reminder now).

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like it. Whatever helps against people more obsessed with switching then actually battling
What the deuce? Switching IS battling. The whole point of switch is to get a beneficial matchup in battle, otherwise I'm sure we'd all like to keep our Landoruses and Terrakions in for as long as possible, unless you want to try your luck against a Latias or Slowbro. Sticky Web also turns losing matchups into winning matchups.

Also for comments about Galvantula being "not an OU mon", that's terrible logic. If a Pokemon has the tools to get used, then it's an OU mon. I don't think anyone would ever say "Politoed isn't an OU mon".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)