Pokémon Scizor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to run Mega Scizor without Swords Dance, because I think U-turn is good. Can we take that as a given for a moment? It's certainly offensively inferior, but much bulkier. That's a tradeoff I'm interested in, and if we can consider it for a moment, I was hoping to get other people's creative energies without getting bogged down in an argument of "Mega Scizor may only ever be used with Swords Dance or ye shall perish screaming in the flames of Heatran".
Defog would be your answer. But I'm pretty sure anything but SD MEScizor is better off on normal scizor.

I'm pretty sure that's not completely true, because you get better bulk without LO recoil. People use Scizor as a great sweeper, and that might be its best role, but I do believe there's a place for a bulkier MEvo version as well that functions as a strong, bulky pivot instead of trying to sweep.

Is bulky swords dance or offensive swords dance better for mega scizor? Beacause I have already bred a scyther which has an adamant nature with all stats maxed except spe attack amd def with 30iv(1point lesser than highest)

Is bulky swords dance or offensive swords dance better for mega scizor? Beacause I have already bred a scyther which has an adamant nature with all stats maxed except spe attack amd def with 30iv(1point lesser than highest)
Bulky Swords Dance is probably better because
1) mega Scizor has better defenses
2) Mega cant have LO or Flying gem or something, so that's better left for normal Scizor

Hey guys, I tried breeding bug bite off scatterbug but it appears scyther doesn't learn bug bite as an egg move, so is without tutors is there no way of teaching scyther/scizor bug bite in this generation?

I R SAD.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be running with fury cutter or maybe u-turn

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Defog would be your answer. But I'm pretty sure anything but SD MEScizor is better off on normal scizor.
Not true. Utility sets are better done by Mega Scizor as well, unless you want the Mega slot for another Pokemon. When i say utility, i mean sets with Defog and Roost, any any combo of Bullet Punch, U-turn, Bug Bite, Superpower, and Pursuit as attacking moves. Better bulk, speed, and power at the cost of Leftovers. Here are the Scizor sets and which forme is better for each one:

- Choice Band: Scizor (obviously)
- Offensive SD: Scizor (because you need Acrobatics)
- Bulky SD: Mega Scizor (better bulk, speed, and power are better than having Lefties)
- Utility: Mega Scizor ((better bulk, speed, and power are better than having Lefties)
- Choice Scarf: Scizor (obviously)
- Trapper: Both formes are equally viable, depending on how offensive and defensive you want your Scizor to be, and how resilient you want it to be. If you want a very strong trapper with recovery, LO + Roost is your choice, if you want awesome bulk to trap even the strongest pokes, Assault Vest Scizor is your man, and if you want a good blend of power, bulk, and survivability, Mega Scizor with Roost is your best bet.

Knock Off, Superpower, and Bug Bite are all Move Tutor

So what are our alternatives to Superpower on a Choice Band set like this:
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Superpower
U-Turn

Since we can't get Superpower in-game until December?
I feel like Aerial Ace or Brick Break, since Aerial Ace benefits from Technician, but that would leave Scizor walled by anything with a Steel Typing. And Brick Break is at a very unfortunate 75 BP.

Last edited:
How would fury cutter be on scizor now that it got buffed to 40 bp? Does technician still boost it after the bp goes past 60?

How would fury cutter be on scizor now that it got buffed to 40 bp? Does technician still boost it after the bp goes past 60?
No. Fury-cutter is okay. Bug doesn't really have the coverage to use it repeatedly, so I think bug bite is still the superior option.

CB set is going to still be #1 due to how simple and threatening it is. However I think a bulky AV set could be pretty great as well. Mega Scizor outperforms the previous bulky SD (with lefties) but that's about it. Probably going to stick with band scizor and slap av on TTar or heatran possibly.

So right now I'm using

Scizor @ Scizorite
252 Atk/216 Spe/40 HP
Technican
No sure on nature

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Roost

Catches a lot of people off guard, but I'm really not sure on the best nature and EV's.

Guys, err Im kinda new to this whole breeding thing.. but I just bred an adamant scyther with almost all stats that cant be better except def(which has 1 stat point lower than the max stat)and spe attack. Shoukd I still continue to rebreed a new scyther to get train a bulky SD mega scizor? Scizor is now lvl 50 and its stats are:
Hp: 177
Attack: 170
Def: 119
Spe attack: 65
Spe defense: 127
Speed: 85
I followed the ev spread 252hp/40att/216spedef
Is this scizor ok? Or should I breed again?

So right now I'm using

Scizor @ Scizorite
252 Atk/216 Spe/40 HP
Technican
No sure on nature

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Roost

Catches a lot of people off guard, but I'm really not sure on the best nature and EV's.
With Steel having so many resistances, is Pursuit really strong enough to round it out on a sweeping set? Seems like something like Knock Off would be a better option. If you're going for a trapper, make a trapper.

All the talk of Knock Off got me thinking if Thief would be a viable move, obviously with a Dark Gem. It's 60 BP so it's getting the tech boost, then getting the gem, and finally looting its opponent's item. To me it feels like the kind of choice to make against a bulkier pokemon to rob it of leftovers, but sniping another sweeper's Life Orb could easily be a good move as well.

I have to admit, this thread is making me give serious consideration to Assault Vest Scizor, and that's from someone who's been doing the Sword Dance since Gen 4.

Can scizor learn fell stinger? That would be very powerful with technician...
Doesn't look like it, and I'm not sure if I'd want this as my bug STAB anyways.

So with no current way to get Bug Bite on a Scizor (Even tried breeding it with Scolipede to no avail) what would be a good set for a Bulky Mega Scizor?

I'm thinking something like

Bullet Punch
Roost
Pursuit/Swords Dance
Fury Cutter/Swords Dance/X-Scissor...?

Not sure what route to go here.

All the talk of Knock Off got me thinking if Thief would be a viable move, obviously with a Dark Gem. It's 60 BP so it's getting the tech boost, then getting the gem, and finally looting its opponent's item. To me it feels like the kind of choice to make against a bulkier pokemon to rob it of leftovers, but sniping another sweeper's Life Orb could easily be a good move as well.

I have to admit, this thread is making me give serious consideration to Assault Vest Scizor, and that's from someone who's been doing the Sword Dance since Gen 4.
Giving up your item really isn't worth it. With the power boost, it'd be better than Night Slash, but if you're trying to mess up your opponent's item, it'd usually be better to just use Knock Off so you can take items off multiple foes and avoid being stuck with whatever they happen to be holding. Stealing Choice Specs doesn't sound fun, especially since unlike a Trick user, Scizor has no way to get rid of it.

So with no current way to get Bug Bite on a Scizor (Even tried breeding it with Scolipede to no avail) what would be a good set for a Bulky Mega Scizor?

I'm thinking something like

Bullet Punch
Roost
Pursuit/Swords Dance
Fury Cutter/Swords Dance/X-Scissor...?

Not sure what route to go here.
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Roost

That's what I'm using. Pursuit just kind of helps with some problems until I can see if I can breed it onto my Greninja. Outside of Pursuit if that's not your cup of tea X-Scizzor is decent.

Hey guys, I tried breeding bug bite off scatterbug but it appears scyther doesn't learn bug bite as an egg move, so is without tutors is there no way of teaching scyther/scizor bug bite in this generation?

I R SAD.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be running with fury cutter or maybe u-turn
Unless I'm mistaken, Scyther can learn Bug Bite last gen since I used him in RU.

Why can't Scizor learn it then?

Sorry to bring this up since I'm relatively new to all this, but why on the bulky swords dance are people putting 40 into attack and then 216 into Sp.Def.? Is that just an arbitrary number to give some more attack, or do one of those numbers allow you to do something specific?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to bring this up since I'm relatively new to all this, but why on the bulky swords dance are people putting 40 into attack and then 216 into Sp.Def.? Is that just an arbitrary number to give some more attack, or do one of those numbers allow you to do something specific?
Good question. The reason for this is that these were the EVs used in generation 5, as iirc it avoids the 2HKO from Reuniclus' Focus Blast. This of course is obviously going to change, as Mega Scizor has much more special bulk, but they are the chosen EVs as a place holder for now. Currently I'm trying to figure out the best spread for bulky SD Scizor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)