Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If what I know is right, you have 1/2 chance of having the nature synchronized, and then a further bonus 1/25 that it simply comes out right, so you have 27/50 odds of nature. Assuming any three IVs are already perfect means that at least two of them will be relevant, the last one could be attack. In that case you have three more stats to roll 31 on. With 1/32 odds for each, all three comes up at 1/32768, of course the odds of this event being the actuality is 1/4, since two of the IVs are set to be not-attack. In the more common case that it chose not to roll attack, you only have 1/32 odds that you have to hit twice, a much more reasonable 1/1024.

So you automatically have 27/50 chances of nature with 3/4096 chance of it being pentaflawless and a further 1/131072 of it being fully flawless. Your final odds are (27/50)*((3/4096)+(1/131072)) which is (27/50)*(97/131072) or (2619/6553600).

The simple answer, about 0.04% or 1 in 2500.
Thank you so much! Looks like I'll be soft resetting for a while >_>
Also, this just occurred to me: is there a shiny lock on the cover legends this time? I haven't seen anyone mention a shiny Xerneas or Yveltal yet. For that matter, what about Zygarde?

Hey there. Basically just made an account because I'm really not sure what to do for making a protean froakie I want to make. I took a look around the forums and this seemed like the best place to ask my question. If there is a better place then I apologize for posting here and I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Basically, I'm trying to get a good Froakie with Protean to have Hidden power fire to deal with threats such as Ferrathorn and Scizor. My basic plan was just to breed two of my best froakies until I got a froakie that had hidden power fire. I was using Destiny Knot and Everstone of course. Those two parents are as follows:
Froakie - #656 (Modest)
HP: 28 - 29
Att: 6 - 7
Def: 31
SpA: 16 - 17
SpD: 31
Speed: 31

Froakie - #656 (Modest)
Att: 16 - 17
Def: 16 - 17
SpA: 31
SpD: 24 - 25
Speed: 31

After awhile I did eventually get a Froakie with hidden power fire, but when I checked its IVs...
Froakie - #656 (Modest)
Att: 16
Def: 31
SpA: 16
SpD: 31
Speed: 12

As can be seen, the speed and special attack are abysmal. I'm new to the whole Hidden power thing and I really have no idea what determines what hidden power you get. So basically what I would like to know, is what is the best way to get Hidden power fire on a froakie while having good special attack and speed?

Basically, I'm trying to get a good Froakie with Protean to have Hidden power fire to deal with threats such as Ferrathorn and Scizor. My basic plan was just to breed two of my best froakies until I got a froakie that had hidden power fire. I was using Destiny Knot and Everstone of course. Those two parents are as follows:

As can be seen, the speed and special attack are abysmal. I'm new to the whole Hidden power thing and I really have no idea what determines what hidden power you get. So basically what I would like to know, is what is the best way to get Hidden power fire on a froakie while having good special attack and speed?
Well, the most important thing is that the Hidden Power type is calculated using your IVs. Specifically, if you want Hidden Power Fire, your Speed and Special Attack must be an even number. Therefore, every Pokemon that runs HP Fire will have a 30 IV in speed and 30 IV in special attack at the maximum.

Smogon has a description for how to calculate the Hidden Power types here.

In XY, you ignore the portion that calculates the base power because it is locked at 60. In addition, it's looking like Hidden Power Fairy doesn't exist, so the old calculations for type probably remain the same.

Is defog like a rapid spin for both sides? Or does it wear out after a certain amount of turns?
It's a rapid spin for both sides.

Last edited:
Well, the most important thing is that the Hidden Power type is calculated using your IVs. Specifically, if you want Hidden Power Fire, your Speed and Special Attack must be an even number. Therefore, every Pokemon that runs HP Fire will have a 30 IV in speed and 30 IV in special attack at the maximum.

Smogon has a description for how to calculate the Hidden Power types here.
Hmm, seems like it would take way too much breeding to get a Froakie with HP Fire and 30 in Sp Atk and Speed. I guess I'll just make sure to use something else to counter Scizor and Ferrathorn.

What pokemon pre bank can get rocks through breeding? I know Donphan, tyranitar etc can but what I am really hoping for is excadrill, please tell me it can.
Unless Excadrill can get SR as an Egg Move, it can't get it pre-Pokemon Bank. It wasn't one last gen, so I don't think it would be now, but you could check rather easily by Sketching SR with a Smeargle and then breeding it with Excadrill.

Do any of the new dragons pick up Earth Power? I'd love to be able to breed it over to hydreigon before pokebank comes out.

Hoping it's not some bs like extremespeed dragonite.

With the power items for ev training when it says "reduces speed" does that mean the speed of that pokemon in battle? Or the speed ev stat? And is it worth ev training with those in horde battles rather than super training

With the power items for ev training when it says "reduces speed" does that mean the speed of that pokemon in battle? Or the speed ev stat? And is it worth ev training with those in horde battles rather than super training
It means the Speed stat is halved in battle. The "reduces speed" effect has no bearing on EVs itself. EV training in horde battles is my go-to way of EV training (and most everyone else's, I'm sure). Holding the right Power item with Pokerus, a single horde battle can net you 50 or 60 EVs, depending on the Pokemon. For example, if I had Pokerus and had a Power Anklet and then fought a horde of Wingull, each Wingull would give me 1 speed EV + 4 speed EVs from the Power Anklet for 5 EVs, and then Pokerus would double it to 10. You'd get 10 EVs per Wingull in the horde battle, so 50 total (I don't know if this explanation was necessary, but it's good to be thorough I guess).

I mostly just use Super Training to finish off the last few odd EVs if I'm not going 252/252.

I'm forming my first competitive team. Which would better compliment a Mega-Mawile; a Galvantula with Sticky web, or a Scolipede with Baton Pass?

For reference:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Intimidate
Adamant Nature
252 HP, 252 AT, 4 SP
Swords Dance
Play Rough
Iron Head
Sucker Punch

Is this formatted correctly?

Edit: If a Chansey with Aromatherapy breeds with a Ditto, will the offspring have Aromatherapy?

Double edit: It will! Hooray!

Last edited:
Did a quick search, but couldn't find an answer, so here goes. Does Pixilate (and similar abilities) boost the power of moves of their appropriate type (like Pixilate boosting Moonblast) or only the moves that have their type converted by it? I assume the latter, but you never know.

"So I have a question about Torment's mechanics
Say the following occurs:
Turn 1
Klefki used Reflect!
Enemy used Earthquake!
Turn 2
Klefki used Torment!
And then the enemy tried to use Earthquake. Would it fail (like how taunt makes non attacking moves fail in the same turn if used first), or do they still get to Earthquake and the torment is applied afterwards."

This is copied from a poster on the Klefki thread - seemed more appropriate here.

Does any major researcher or tier leader know when the research will be done, and thus the official start of the metagame? If you guys don't know, is there a point you're at, like halfway, three quarters, etc.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
After talking with the divinity that is number 3 on the ou ladder, we discussed on what a "good" team is. Now my question is, is it better for me to use a "bad" team that can consistently win or is it better to use a "good" team that consistently loses on the ladder?

"So I have a question about Torment's mechanics
Say the following occurs:
Turn 1
Klefki used Reflect!
Enemy used Earthquake!
Turn 2
Klefki used Torment!
And then the enemy tried to use Earthquake. Would it fail (like how taunt makes non attacking moves fail in the same turn if used first), or do they still get to Earthquake and the torment is applied afterwards."

This is copied from a poster on the Klefki thread - seemed more appropriate here.
Torment does not work that way. It would still be able to Earthquake the turn it got Tormented, but not the following turn.
Anyone know where I can find pokes with Spikes so that my Smeargle can copy it?
If you have a Greninja, use a Heart Scale. If you're playing Pokémon Y, you can fish at Route 8 with a Super Rod for Cloyster. Otherwise, go catch a Klefki at Route 15 or 16 and use a Heart Scale on it.

I heard this from someone on another forum who didn't give a source, but is it true now that when a Poison-type Pokemon uses Toxic it never misses, even if the target uses Fly or Dig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)