Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah I forgot that. I'm still not used to the fairy typing, ofc you're right.
However, I still stick with my observation that sub-Klefki seems to be the most rare variant atm.

What nature and EV spread should I go for if I wanted to use it as a dual screener? I'm not sure if Bold or some other nature, as I plan to breed a flawless one soon.

What nature and EV spread should I go for if I wanted to use it as a dual screener? I'm not sure if Bold or some other nature, as I plan to breed a flawless one soon.
Bold + max sp def EVs and max HP EVs.
Calm + max def and hp EVs is about the same.
Both give pretty even defensive coverage.

However, since most priority moves are physical (actually I think all of them are...), you MAY opt for bold + max def/HP EVs, but I think mixing it gives you the better rounded defense.
You'll just throw up whatever screen helps you in the current situation anyway.

So I have a question about Torment's mechanics

Say the following occurs:
Turn 1
Klefki used Reflect!
Enemy used Earthquake!

Turn 2
Klefki used Torment!

And then the enemy tried to use Earthquake. Would it fail (like how taunt makes non attacking moves fail in the same turn if used first), or do they still get to Earthquake and the torment is applied afterwards.

Turn 1
Klefki used Reflect!
Enemy used Earthquake!

Turn 2
Klefki used Torment!

And then the enemy tried to use Earthquake. Would it fail (like how taunt makes non attacking moves fail in the same turn if used first), or do they still get to Earthquake and the torment is applied afterwards.
If I remember correctly, a couple gens ago Torment worked the way you describe and would block the EQ. I remember distinctly thinking that it was a shame when the mechanics changed. Need confirmation!

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Turn 1
Klefki used Reflect!
Enemy used Earthquake!

Turn 2
Klefki used Torment!

Yes, the Earthquake would still work, because Torment prevents the opponent from selecting the same move twice in a row. In that situation, they would've already selected it before the turn begins, so Torment wouldn't prevent EQ until the next turn. Hitting a switch-in with Torment first and then using Substitute to block weaker attacks while using Protect against the EQ is the classic TormentTran strategy from a few gens ago, but unlike Heatran, Klefki doesn't have a nice Lava Plume to strike back with.

The fact that "Swagkey" isn't listed in the OP is kinda silly, considering that horrendous set is by far the most common Klefki variant. It's everything I hated about Liepard, only 3x worse. I would rather make that set widely known and explain why relying on 50% hax is a bad idea, rather than try to pretend it doesn't exist.

So how was Liepard in 5th gen? I don't understand how Klefki is 3x worse when Liepard does the same thing, and faster.

RE: Including it in the OP: There's no point leaving it out of the OP, given how often people are running into it and complaining about it. Obviously the whole "luck based/unreliable" thing is just a matter of objectivity, but might I suggest compiling a list (or whatever) of viable counters to it and including that as well? Might do more damage to the set's popularity/viability than any boost being in the OP can give it.

Last edited:
I'm getting to the point where I just flat out hate the "swagkey" set. It's just dumb and so luck based that I'm surprised people tolerate it.

I mean, evasion moves got banned for being dumb, "uncompetetive," luck based, and annoying right? Which is exactly what that set is. Granted I don't think paralysis should be banned, or even confusion because they are counterable... it's just a weird annoying combo that "works."

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
better typing, better movepool
When it comes to SwagPlay, there is no difference in movepool :P Klefki has better bulk and typing 's all.

Support sets do boast a good deal of options though:
- Spikes: sets up damage for sweepers to clean up more easily
- Light Screen & Reflect: can be used together (with Light Clay) or separately to weaken opposing attackers
- Thunder Wave: slows down opposing sweepers for teammates to pick off easily
- Foul Play: hits physical attackers hard
- Toxic: softens up walls, especially Ground-types
- Torment: prevents consecutive powerful attacks, buying Klefki extra time
- Substitute: blocks status, and can be used in conjuction with Torment to stall for even longer
- Imprison: prevents opposing Spikes (amongst other commonly shared moves)
- Play Rough: good response for Dark-types and Dragon-types

There may be other moves I may have missed out (except Draining Kiss, cos' that is super weak and doesn't even heal that much as a result), but between these moves you should be able to find a use for Klefki on your team, any team.

I'm getting to the point where I just flat out hate the "swagkey" set. It's just fucking dumb and so luck based that I'm surprised people tolerate it.

I mean, evasion moves got banned for being dumb, "uncompetetive," luck based, and annoying right? Which is exactly what that set is. Granted I don't think paralysis should be banned, or even confusion because they are counterable... it's just a weird annoying combo that "works."
Parafusion (and paraflinch sets) can be dealt with certain Pokemon that see use outside of countering said strategy; evasion moves had to be dealt with moves, which may not always work due to the move merely delaying that strategy (Perish Song, Roar) or the moves simply aren't strong enough (any non-miss move not named Aura Sphere). Also, not all Pokemon can use SwagPlay (and the ones that do usually don't have reliable recovery), while pretty much all Pokemon can use evasion.

The main Pokemon that can easily manhandle most Klefki variants are Gliscor, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Infiltrator Chandelure, and lol Own Tempo Avalugg. Otherwise, just throw in your Electric-type / Ground-type / special attacker / bulky walls and deal with it from there.

Yeah, the reason that I can tolerate it at least is that it IS counterable. I just hate that you have to play around that set so much. If you use Swagkey, you are setting the tempo of the match just from team preview. Your opponent is not going to let their Gliscor go down until that key goes with it...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SwagKey is looking like a much better version of SwagCat, with its better bulk and a somewhat decent defensive typing. SwagKey can set up on Darks and Dragons pretty decently, and a fuckton of resistances means it could have an easier time setting up Substitute and spreading paralysis and Swagger. Of course, it could run a couple of other manly sets like Prankster Spikes and Dual Screens, Klefki has a pretty decent support movepool overall so it could support its team decently. Klefki would be pretty solid Pokemon overall imo, although I do think SwagKey will be manageable.

The main Pokemon that can easily manhandle most Klefki variants are Gliscor, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Infiltrator Chandelure, and lol Own Tempo Avalugg. Otherwise, just throw in your Electric-type / Ground-type / special attacker / bulky walls and deal with it from there.
The rotom forms are also noteworthy due to the combination of usable bulk, terrible attack and decent spattack, especially rotom-h, who just takes a big dump on ANY klefki set, not just swagkey.

I like to think of this as Liepard 2.0 because it has better bulk and typing than Liepard while still keeping the basic moves needed to make your opponent tear out their hair in anger.

I ran one with Spikes / Swagger / Substitute / Thunderwave because it filled the role of hazard setter as well. Spreading prankster thunderwave is much more debilitating than sticky web, and helps put you in position for an offense. I've also noticed that Klefki has surprisingly good synergy with Ditto. Ditto can copy Swagger boosts without the confusion, and if the opponent is paralyzed, Ditto doesn't even have to run a scarf, making it a lot more flexible and dangerous.

I wanted to ask your opinion: I'm building a sand team (current members: Tyranitar, Garchomp, Sylveon, Gourgeist, Alakazam), and can't decide about the steel to put into between Klefki and Magnezone. I would run the latter for its trapping (even though is kinda hard to get HP Fire), especially considering that otherwise Scizor would be a pain in the ass; but I'm intrigued to try the key. What would make the difference is if there is a way to teach him Sandstorm (I see Rain Dance and Sunny Day in the op, but no SS), that combined with Prakster would be awesome.

Punchshroom

I wanted to ask your opinion: I'm building a sand team (current members: Tyranitar, Garchomp, Sylveon, Gourgeist, Alakazam), and can't decide about the steel to put into between Klefki and Magnezone. I would run the latter for its trapping (even though is kinda hard to get HP Fire), especially considering that otherwise Scizor would be a pain in the ass; but I'm intrigued to try the key. What would make the difference is if there is a way to teach him Sandstorm (I see Rain Dance and Sunny Day in the op, but no SS), that combined with Prakster would be awesome.
Klefki does not learn Sandstorm, but since Sand does not benefit its users as much as Rain and Sun, it wouldn't be worth it on Klefki anyway. Better to support the team with Spikes and Thunder Wave / Toxic support (which Alakazam and Garchomp, especially Mega-Garchomp love), then you could throw in either Dual Screens, or some attack options like Foul Play or Play Rough so Klefki can fight back.

You could still run Magnezone if you so wish though, as it's good at trapping and killing Steels and can even set up on a few, like Ferrothorn and Klefki, with Substitute + Charge Beam.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Klefki Lefties
Timid nature
252 hp/252 spe/4 def
- foul play
- swagger
- thunder wave
- substitute

Pretty much the most useful set. Pair this up with 5 more pranksters and you have a golden team

Punchshroom

Klefki Lefties
Timid nature
252 hp/252 spe/4 def
- foul play
- swagger
- thunder wave
- substitute

Pretty much the most useful set. Pair this up with 5 more pranksters and you have a golden team
Mind that this is not the most useful Klefki set, but in your trollish team of hax Pranksters this is likely your main calling card, so I can't argue with that.

Also, why so much Speed? You're paralyzing everything in sight, and those that cannot be paralysed are in speed tiers where the enhanced Speed won't matter anyway.

Klefki does not learn Sandstorm, but since Sand does not benefit its users as much as Rain and Sun, it wouldn't be worth it on Klefki anyway. Better to support the team with Spikes and Thunder Wave / Toxic support (which Alakazam and Garchomp, especially Mega-Garchomp love), then you could throw in either Dual Screens, or some attack options like Foul Play or Play Rough so Klefki can fight back.

You could still run Magnezone if you so wish though, as it's good at trapping and killing Steels and can even set up on a few, like Ferrothorn and Klefki, with Substitute + Charge Beam.
Well, honestly, considering that isn't damaged by sand, it kinda sucks that he's unable to use it.
I don't think I'll run both Klefki and Magnezone, the team would be seriously weak to ground and fire (counting the presence of Gourgeist and T-Tar, even though the latter might be changed in favour of Hippowdown).
However, the set I was thinkin runs Thunderwave, Spikes, Toxic, Substitute. I know it's kinda odd running two status moves, but the idea is checking menaces by crippling them. Another idea is a dueal screen with Thunderwave and Spikes.

Is there a more general klefki counter? I start to see this little keychain everywhere now. Luckily last time I fought this thing I carried a Quagsire and Magic Bounce Espeon but I still need to play a lot of prediction game before I defeated this thing.

Punchshroom

Is there a more general klefki counter? I start to see this little keychain everywhere now. Luckily last time I fought this thing I carried a Quagsire and Magic Bounce Espeon but I still need to play a lot of prediction game before I defeated this thing.
I've also added Night Shade / Heat Wave Xatu to this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)