Pokémon Alakazam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, and I thought 160 Special Attack and 140 Speed was insane. It's safe to say that Mega Evolution has raised the bar very, very high.
Remember. Timid Alakazam with Life Orb hits harder...
MegaZam can't use Life Orb (it can run Modest, though)

Signal Beam and Magic Guard? Am I missing something? Isn't Signal Beam only from Gen IV Move Tutors??
Black & White 2 Move Tutors...

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/065.shtml

Last edited:
Very mixed feelings on MegaAlakazam ...
On one spoon, 175 SAtk and 150 Spe is nothing to be trifled with. Possessing Trace is a deadly tool as Alakazam can find great switch-in opportunities such as Flash Fire Heatran, Water Absorb Jellicent and Volt Absorb Thundurus-T. Trace becomes especially deadly when Alakazam begins to trace things like Regenerater and Shadow Tag.
However on the other spoon, losing the whole Magic Guard + Focus Sash business is seriously going to be a loss for MegaAlakazam.
With the viability of Bullet Punch Lucario, ExtremeSpeed Dragonite, Bullet Punch Scizor, Aqua Jet Azumarill and [Flying STAB] Talonflame , Alakazam might find it a bit rough in OU at certain times.
However this is Alakazam we're talking about. Just like Gengar, Alakazam has always managed to stay OU despite the metagame so I have faith for the Stached Psychic Fox~

Would be funny seeing a speed boosting Mega Alakazam, wouldn't it?

Anyways, yeah, I mean, being a good special attacking sweeper, with a good move pool and few real weaknesses that can't really switch in safely on it, leaves Alakazam always having some viability, especially with good team support.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Originally when this thread was created it wasn't designed to take into account the absence of PokeBank, which is why Signal Beam is still around. But whatever, I'll remove it now if people are having a problem with it.

EDIT: Fuck it I just went ahead and took everything PokeBank related out.

Last edited:
Ah, the original Psychic Fox (sorry Delphox but it's been done). It has been thirteen years since I first laid my eyes on the finest moustache in Pokemon. Every generation it seems that this guy can do no wrong (except in Generation 1 when it was quite literally unfair to fight one and you'd probably cry).

This generation it's gotten two things I find really fun; Dazzling Gleam and its Mega Evolution. Dazzling Gleam gives it a lovely little way to deal with the dark types it hates without relying on Focus Blast, which always misses when it just shouldn't. Consistency over pure power sometimes is best. Sure, lord of the spoons might miss out on some Steel KOs but I'm willing to sacrifice that.

And then there's Mega Alakazam. Dear god. Best Pokemon facial hair. And then there's its behemoth Special Attack and unbelievable speed. It's a Ninjask combined with a nuclear bomb. Trace is a really fun (read: situational) ability, and yes it's not as good as Magic Guard, but you have to give a little to get a lot. I predict this guy will force some switches, because if it picked something up like Adaptability, Speed Boost, or Shadow Tag you can consider that GG. And I'd CM on a switch but that's just me. Of course it's as frail as ever-- ten extra Special Defense base points barely help, but they do a little. But Priority comes mainly in physical form and it'll hurt, especially with no sash. Still it outspends basically anything unboosted and can probably KO it too if priority isn't around.

Anyway whether this thing is OU or not (and how could it not be?) it'll have pride of place on my team. Spoon guy, you're awesome.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard ---> Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

This set is down right awesome. First it can block set-up pokemons with magic gaurd, then it can mega evolve and use that huge 170 spA to overkill almost anything. With the steel nerf, you don't need HP fire on this thing, Use Focus Blast, and if you don't want, Shadow ball is x1 now. Dazzling gleam takes care of Dark type (if you don't want to use Focus Blast) and Dragons (which is why there is no need for HP Ice IMO), Psyshock is the main move here and is really useful to get past special walls. This set has a lot of coverage and is an utter sweep. The real problem is Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, sucker punch Mega Mawile/ Mega Bannette/ Mega Kangaskhan, shadow Sneak Aegislash/Mega Bannette and some other pokemon can easily check this thing though.

How viable do you guys think choice specs trick will be now with all the megas running around?
If they switch in a Pokemon with a Mega Stone, which many people will have on hand, Trick will fail and Alakazam will just be locked into it and have to switch. So not as viable as before, to be certain.

so I've been using:

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid 6hp/252spatk/252spd
-Psyshock
-Shadowball
-Energy Ball
-Dazzling Gem

Its been a pretty cool late game cleaner-upper and can also be a good revenge killer. Requires more team support without focus blast, but I'm just one of those people who can't seem to get any luck when it comes to that 70% accuracy. Its feels like about 40% tbh.

Lol
Trace a Mega Blazikens Speed boost, now you will almost never be outsped.
Trace a Mega Kangashs parental bond, now two attack(one for half damage)
Really, I can see this thing destroying things with Trace.

I'm really liking mega kazam.
It can copy shadow Tag, allowing it to trap opponents
Copying intimadate could be amazing to.
Of course you can only copy one abillity and it goes back to trace when you switch him, but I think it's useful non the less.

What happens if you copy Aegislash's abillity nothing?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol

I'm really liking mega kazam.
It can copy shadow Tag, allowing it to trap opponents
Copying intimadate could be amazing to.
Of course you can only copy one abillity and it goes back to trace when you switch him, but I think it's useful non the less.

What happens if you copy Aegislash's abillity nothing?
Yeah nothing will happen, as it doesn't have access to a "Shield Form" or King's Shield itself.

Lol
Lol Blaziken and Mega Blaziken still outspeed you at +1 unless you're Timid, and have Protect unlike you.

Lol Mega Kangaskhan kills you with Sucker Punch before you can even move.

I almost feel as if the mega is worse than the normal pokemon, it loses its magic gaurd ability, which means its much more vulnerable to priority moves which are everywhere this gen, also it isn't really more powerful compared to the life orb set, the only plus is its speed, I think that this mega will get the shaft, because it really isn't that much better than the original and there are better megas out there.

Lol Blaziken and Mega Blaziken still outspeed you at +1 unless you're Timid, and have Protect unlike you.

Lol Mega Kangaskhan kills you with Sucker Punch before you can even move.
It outspeeds 150 speed at +1? Wow

MegaKangash, use subsitute or Calm mind Then you have it's abillity(Not hard)
Lol, Having trace against a Shedninja(If only they were more common)

I almost feel as if the mega is worse than the normal pokemon, it loses its magic gaurd ability, which means its much more vulnerable to priority moves which are everywhere this gen, also it isn't really more powerful compared to the life orb set, the only plus is its speed, I think that this mega will get the shaft, because it really isn't that much better than the original and there are better megas out there.
Way better speed, way better damage(Unless you are using LO or plate)
Magic gaurd doesn't avoid priority attacks(I don't think) Trace can get you even better abillitys(WonderGaurd(unlikely) Speed boost, intimatdate.etc)
Lol.
I don't think many of the other Megas can survive his hit(Could be wrong)

Normal Sash set
Weaker, slower but does take 2 hits from most pokemon.
Avoids Non damaging attacks

LO set
Recoil damage, Stronger, Slower.
Usally get's OHKO'd
Avoids non damaging attacks

Mega
Faster, pretty strong, takes no recoil, Slightly More defence, still gets OHKO'd.
Copys opponents abillity

Idk what to think...
It's pretty darn fast, Copys abillity, Pretty powerful.

Ethier way, Alakazam is pretty powerful.

Lol, Having trace against a Shedninja(If only they were more common)

Way better speed, way better damage(Unless you are using LO or plate)
Magic gaurd doesn't avoid priority attacks(I don't think) Trace can get you even better abillitys(WonderGaurd(unlikely) Speed boost, intimatdate.etc)
Lol.
I don't think many of the other Megas can survive his hit(Could be wrong)

Normal Sash set
Weaker, slower but does take 2 hits from most pokemon.
Avoids Non damaging attacks

LO set
Recoil damage, Stronger, Slower.
Usally get's OHKO'd
Avoids non damaging attacks

Mega
Faster, pretty strong, takes no recoil, Slightly More defence, still gets OHKO'd.
Copys opponents abillity

Idk what to think...
It's pretty darn fast, Copys abillity, Pretty powerful.

Ethier way, Alakazam is pretty powerful.
Life orb doesn't give recoil to magic gaurd users by the way, and what I mean by the mega is more vulnerable to priority is that since it lacks a focus sash so it has no chance of surviving priority moves and priority moves make mega zam's speed useless. sure it has its benifits but it isn't worth taking your mega spot most of the time.

Yeah, You're right. But you got to admit if MegaKazam traced a WonderGuard from Shedninja, it would be awesome.
Not really. Wonder Guard is an awesome ability no doubt, but psychic as a type is so flawed and has many weaknesses to common metagame pokemons.

I bet with Mega Alakazam's sucky defense, even if it can manage to trace Shedinja's Wonder Guard, it will still be 1HKO right afterwards by Shedinja's Shadow Sneak lol. Would be hilarious.

Not really. Wonder Guard is an awesome ability no doubt, but psychic as a type is so flawed and has many weaknesses to common metagame pokemons.

I bet with Mega Alakazam's sucky defense, even if it can manage to trace Shedinja's Wonder Guard, it will still be 1HKO right afterwards by Shedinja's Shadow Sneak lol. Would be hilarious.
252+ Atk Shedinja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 158-188 (62.69 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And Psychic types have 3 weaknesses which isn't actually that much.

Eviolite P2 will make much better use of Trace this gen, js. Parental Bond Tri Attacks gonna rock (36% chance to status lol).

Pretty much the only reason I see to use MegaZam is the Speed buff. Otherwise, LO Zam is better, and you also have the option of Sash if it so pleases you. And really, when you look at it that way, might as well just carry a normal Zam and bring another, significantly more worthwhile Mega such as Zard X or or Luke or Gar etc

252+ Atk Shedinja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 158-188 (62.69 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And Psychic types have 3 weaknesses which isn't actually that much.
Yeah but what are those three weakenesses? Dark, Ghost, Bug. Dark has Pursuit, Ghost is the best attacking type in the game and Bug includes the ever popular U-turn. They're three pretty important weaknesses. In any case, tracing Wonder Guard Shedinja is such a rare situation that this isn't even a discussion.

Yeah but what are those three weakenesses? Dark, Ghost, Bug. Dark has Pursuit, Ghost is the best attacking type in the game and Bug includes the ever popular U-turn. They're three pretty important weaknesses. In any case, tracing Wonder Guard Shedinja is such a rare situation that this isn't even a discussion.

I know, that's why I said it's unlikely.
I see what you mean tho.

Sucker Punch hits through your sub if you attack (which you eventually will)

Return will hit through your sub if you decide to stall out Sucker Punch.

Last edited:
Too bad this gen is all about priority moves. Aegislash easily destroys alakazam unless he disables shadow sneak.
If it wasnt like that, mega alakazam would have been an awesome choice. Still u can use focus sash alakazam though

Something else that helps our favorite mustachioed 'mon is that it's equally viable as a mega and a sash/guard. Because of that, it has the ability that not a whole lot of others do, in that it can confuse the opponent as to what it's planning on doing. They sent out their Zam on Aegislash? It has to be a sash, so I can't shadow sneak or it'll take me out after hanging on. Other move/switching time.

Then Kazam, and Zam mega evolves and proceeds to kill things. Of course, this works best on the best players.

Standard Kazam is awesome, but the damage difference between Life Orb and MegaZam is negligible and definitely not worth the Mega slot by any means. I honestly see no reason to us it, other megas will be more beneficial to almost any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)