Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing Pokebank OU for awhile and came across someone using a Genesect. Overall his team was garbage, but that one Pokemon destroyed me. Is there any chance at all Genesect is going to get banned again? Not to sound like a poor sport, but it's way too good.
I imagine anyone that was Uber last time will get tested, maybe the rain abusers will get out of it since perma-rain is gone.

How do you make those captions where you can click to expand?
[ hide ]text you want in the hide box[ /hide ] without the spaces in the brackets

I've been playing Pokebank OU for awhile and came across someone using a Genesect. Overall his team was garbage, but that one Pokemon destroyed me. Is there any chance at all Genesect is going to get banned again? Not to sound like a poor sport, but it's way too good.
It's certainly a possibility, but you're going to be much better off by finding good Pokemon to check it until that happens. What specific Genesect set was giving you problems?

Can anyone tell me or redirect me to all the restrictions/rules/requeriments/etc of the pokébank?
I don't think we have a thread for it, but to put it simply, Pokebank OU is XY OU with the ability to trade forward older Pokemon. This means that you can use all of the new Pokemon and items alongside everything from FRLG/RSE all the way to BW2. If you have any specific questions on legalities, you can message me.

I think I fundamentally misunderstand the "Destiny Knot".

If I have a 31/31/xx/31/31/31 male and a 31/31/31/31/xx/31 female, what are the chances the baby will have 5 perfect IVs?

What are the chances the baby will be hex flawless?

Can "Destiny Knot" choose to pass on the Attack stat of both parents (i.e. only three other stats would be passed from the parents)? Or if "Destiny Knot" chooses the Attack from one parent, does it disqualify the Attack of the other parent?

I think I fundamentally misunderstand the "Destiny Knot".

If I have a 31/31/xx/31/31/31 male and a 31/31/31/31/xx/31 female, what are the chances the baby will have 5 perfect IVs?

What are the chances the baby will be hex flawless?

Can "Destiny Knot" choose to pass on the Attack stat of both parents (i.e. only three other stats would be passed from the parents)? Or if "Destiny Knot" chooses the Attack from one parent, does it disqualify the Attack of the other parent?
I don't know the how to calculate the chances given the parents you wrote there but about your question about hex flawless. If both parents have 5 perfect IVs in the same stats there will be a 1 in 6 chance that the baby will have the same IVs as them. For example:
Male: 31/31/31/31/31/x and female: 31/31/31/31/31/x

Both being perfect except for speed. Destiny Bond passes an IV from 5 of the 6 stats. If it chooses HP let's say, in this example, it would then choose either the IV from the mother or the father. Since both in this example have perfect HP IVs, the baby will be guaranteed the 31 in HP. The 6th IV (that is not chosen by Destiny Knot) will be generated at random. Since the parents have 5 perfect IVs in the same stats and the Destiny Knot chooses 5 out of the 6 stats to get the IVs from, one of the IVs will be random (so six stats means the chance of the baby being the same in this example is 1 out of 6). Now, because 1 IV is generated randomly always, if you breed two hex flawless pokemon, there will always be a a possibilty that the baby comes out with a non perfect number in that IV. Because IVs range from 0 to 31, it should be a 1 in 32 chance that the baby's 6th IV that was generated randomly will be 31.

If the parents are hex flawless, you at least have a guarantee that at least 5 IVs will be perfect because no matter which IV is randomly generated, the 5 others will be perfect from the parents. If like in my example, the parents are perfect in the same 5 IVs, you have the 1 in 6 possibility of having the same IVs on the baby like I mentioned. Still, Destiny Knot might pick the imperfect IV (5 in 6 chance) which in my example would be the speed. That would make the baby potentially have only 4 perfect IVs. (One of the IVs that wasn't perfect was passed by Destiny Knot and one of the perfect ones was randomly generated as a number other than 31)

If the parents have imperfect IVs in different stats like in your example, the chances of the baby having perfect IVs in the 5 stats you desire decrease. In your example, Sp Def might be picked but then the parent chosen to pass the IV is the mother which is X. Then if defense is also one of the 5 IVs passed by Destiny Knot, there's another 50/50 chance of the father being selected. If it is, you end up with a baby with x in defense and special defense. And theeeen, that means one of the other stats would be the randomly generated one, giving you that 1 in 32 chance of it being perfect. If it's not an IV the baby needs for its use (like special attack on a purely physical attacker) then that random IV wouldn't be an issue but if the random one is needed (like HP in most Pokemon) and it isn't perfect, you wind up with a baby with only 3 perfect IVs.

Last edited:
It's certainly a possibility, but you're going to be much better off by finding good Pokemon to check it until that happens. What specific Genesect set was giving you problems?
The only one I ever encounter is the scarf set. Horribly annoying. Not sure if other sets would be a problem, it all depends on whether or not timid Genesect can outspeed an adamant Talonflame. Hazards don't even help that much against it. Would prefer non-legendary checks/counters if possible.

The only one I ever encounter is the scarf set. Horribly annoying. Not sure if other sets would be a problem, it all depends on whether or not timid Genesect can outspeed an adamant Talonflame. Hazards don't even help that much against it. Would prefer non-legendary checks/counters if possible.
Adamant Choice Band Gale Wings Talonflame is a solid answer to Scarf Genesect.

Talonflame's Brave Bird vs Genesect (246 - 289 HP) Damage: 86.93% - 102.12%

After Stealth Rock damage, you've got a really high chance of OHKOing it with Brave Bird, and if it's running Hasty nature (which it has to run if it wants to use any of Blaze Kick, Extreme Speed, or Shift Gear and occasionally does without running any of those moves), then it's a guaranteed OHKO with or without hazards.

The other way of handling it is just to have a few solid checks to it. For example, a team with Rotom-W and Landorus-T can get around special Choice Scarf Genesect a lot of the time just by making appropriate switches and predictions. Otherwise, Heatran is a solid counter to pretty much every Genesect, resisting everything it commonly runs bar Thunderbolt, which is can take really easily. I know you said you preferred non-legendary answers, but because Heatran is by far the best Genesect counter, it seemed appropriate to mention it anyways. Aegislash is also a decent check, as it can take anything but a Flamethrower quite comfortably, and it has King's Shield to scout for Flamethrower.

I don't know the how to calculate the chances given the parents you wrote there but about your question about hex flawless. If both parents have 5 perfect IVs in the same stats there will be a 1 in 6 chance that the baby will have the same IVs as them. For example:
Male: 31/31/31/31/31/x and female: 31/31/31/31/31/x

Both being perfect except for speed. Destiny Bond passes an IV from 5 of the 6 stats. If it chooses HP let's say, in this example, it would then choose either the IV from the mother or the father. Since both in this example have perfect HP IVs, the baby will be guaranteed the 31 in HP. The 6th IV (that is not chosen by Destiny Knot) will be generated at random. Since the parents have 5 perfect IVs in the same stats and the Destiny Knot chooses 5 out of the 6 stats to get the IVs from, one of the IVs will be random (so six stats means the chance of the baby being the same in this example is 1 out of 6). Now, because 1 IV is generated randomly always, if you breed two hex flawless pokemon, there will always be a a possibilty that the baby comes out with a non perfect number in that IV. Because IVs range from 0 to 31, it should be a 1 in 32 chance that the baby's 6th IV that was generated randomly will be 31.

If the parents are hex flawless, you at least have a guarantee that at least 5 IVs will be perfect because no matter which IV is randomly generated, the 5 others will be perfect from the parents. If like in my example, the parents are perfect in the same 5 IVs, you have the 1 in 6 possibility of having the same IVs on the baby like I mentioned. Still, Destiny Knot might pick the imperfect IV (5 in 6 chance) which in my example would be the speed. That would make the baby potentially have only 4 perfect IVs. (One of the IVs that wasn't perfect was passed by Destiny Knot and one of the perfect ones was randomly generated as a number other than 31)

If the parents have imperfect IVs in different stats like in your example, the chances of the baby having perfect IVs in the 5 stats you desire decrease. In your example, Sp Def might be picked but then the parent chosen to pass the IV is the mother which is X. Then if defense is also one of the 5 IVs passed by Destiny Knot, there's another 50/50 chance of the father being selected. If it is, you end up with a baby with x in defense and special defense. And theeeen, that means one of the other stats would be the randomly generated one, giving you that 1 in 32 chance of it being perfect. If it's not an IV the baby needs for its use (like special attack on a purely physical attacker) then that random IV wouldn't be an issue but if the random one is needed (like HP in most Pokemon) and it isn't perfect, you wind up with a baby with only 3 perfect IVs.
Thank you for your thorough response. That is a more appropriate description of Destiny Knot than I can find anywhere else.

However, I have been doing a lot of research, and most of the findings in this thread (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...n-in-pokemon-x-y.3490432/page-22#post-5005260) contradict your last paragraph. It seems having the imperfect stat shared by the parents decreases the chances of hex flawless babies.

Anyway, I finally breed a hex flawless Froakie, so all is well.

I currently have a bunch of Klefki that I want to use with different sets. They're all Bold, 31 IVs in all stats but attack. My understanding is that, in general, 252 EVs in HP and defense is optimal. This is what I had in mind when also considering the Swagger Klefki set but then I did some reading and realized from other people's discussions that it may be better to invest mainly in special defense (if not the entire 252 that isn't going into HP) as some people have suggested. The reasoning I understand from them is that giving +2 attack to something that's physical will basically counteract any investment in physical defense so you might as well put the EVs into SpDef.

So, I wanted to know if 252 HP 252 SpDef 4 Def (with variation depending on your team's needs) on the Swagger set is optimal. If it's better to invest in SpDef, would it then be better to run Calm instead of Bold? I already have a bunch of Bold so I'd want to know if I should bother breeding some Calm ones before I do so.

What's a good Poké Ball for a Malamar? I'm planning to breed one and I'm trying to decide what to catch a female Inkay in.
If you're going just for best looks it's really up to what you find the best looking. Some people like to use the Dusk Ball on Ghost or Dark Pokemon like Malamar. I personally prefer the Luxury Ball on most things ^_^

Does the new experience share give less experience if there is more pokemon in the party?
aka can i have a lv 100 poke one shot everything and level up a second poke faster than if i had 5 other dudes?

Does the new experience share give less experience if there is more pokemon in the party?
aka can i have a lv 100 poke one shot everything and level up a second poke faster than if i had 5 other dudes?
Nah, the amount doesn't change depending on the amount of 'mons you've got.
And, yes, of course. I did that in the Battle Chateau for lots of cash, but the Pokemon League also works.

Thank you for your thorough response. That is a more appropriate description of Destiny Knot than I can find anywhere else.

However, I have been doing a lot of research, and most of the findings in this thread (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...n-in-pokemon-x-y.3490432/page-22#post-5005260) contradict your last paragraph. It seems having the imperfect stat shared by the parents decreases the chances of hex flawless babies.

Anyway, I finally breed a hex flawless Froakie, so all is well.
Well, my last paragraph was about hatching babies with 5 desired IVs which, if I interpreted that data correctly, are easier with both parents sharing the desired IVs like I said. However, it seems my probabilities are wrong. It seems it's even more likely (about 1 in 5 chance) if, again, I interpreted it right. Luckily, now that we have those numbers it should be easy to tell what the best parent combinations are.

Either way, I guess it doesn't matter now to your flawless Froakie so congrats! ^_^

If you breed a Pumpkaboo will it be the same size as the parent?
If breeding a male or female with Ditto, it will always be the size of the Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist. If you breed a female with either another Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist or something else in its egg group, it will always be the size of the female.

...Stellar beat me to it XD

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Timid isn't particularly good on any of those Eeveelutions, as they are all slow and (besides Glaceon) primarily walls. You'd be better off with an Espeon - Magic Bounce is a fantastic ability.

Arcticblast hit the nail on the head- you're wasting its potential with anything but Espeon (or maybe Jolteon maybe but Magic Bounce is great). If you really don't want to use Espeon, you could try scarfed Glaceon, but don't expect it to work well in conventional environments (or be much more durable than Espeon). Timid is simply not worth it on Umbreon or Sylveon.

Adamant Choice Band Gale Wings Talonflame is a solid answer to Scarf Genesect.

Talonflame's Brave Bird vs Genesect (246 - 289 HP) Damage: 86.93% - 102.12%

After Stealth Rock damage, you've got a really high chance of OHKOing it with Brave Bird, and if it's running Hasty nature (which it has to run if it wants to use any of Blaze Kick, Extreme Speed, or Shift Gear and occasionally does without running any of those moves), then it's a guaranteed OHKO with or without hazards.

The other way of handling it is just to have a few solid checks to it. For example, a team with Rotom-W and Landorus-T can get around special Choice Scarf Genesect a lot of the time just by making appropriate switches and predictions. Otherwise, Heatran is a solid counter to pretty much every Genesect, resisting everything it commonly runs bar Thunderbolt, which is can take really easily. I know you said you preferred non-legendary answers, but because Heatran is by far the best Genesect counter, it seemed appropriate to mention it anyways. Aegislash is also a decent check, as it can take anything but a Flamethrower quite comfortably, and it has King's Shield to scout for Flamethrower.
The Talonflame I prefer is the Swords Dance version. Been sweeping teams for days with it. xD Aegislash seems interesting though. Thanks for the help man. :)

For espeon what's a proper move set & super training? Should yawn or wish be kept? If I decide to do Glaceon, what should I have as a move set ? Def/Sp.def?
It all depends on what you want them to do. It also depends on the rest of your team. Do you need an attacker, or do you need support? Is it a hail/TR team, or not? Doubles or singles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)