Toily Does Art

Hello! I would totally understand if this is taken down immediatley due to only joining this site today but I thought I'd try to contribute to smogon by showing off some of my work!

The cover as well as the first page of a comic that I started but have not gotten around to working on.. Maybe one day.

A realistic Depiction of Vanillish. Some people got their dragons and some have got their evil ghosts; I've got my ice cream.

Name: Thrawn
Little Deer Pokemon
Abilities: Overgrow/Technician
Height:1 ft
Weight: 31 lbs.
Type: Grass
Evolutions: Lv.16 Pansling, Lv.36 Fletchideer
Description:
1.) It's horns and hooves are as hard as metal. Despite this, It is able to walk through a forest without being heard.
2.) When in combat, Thrawn can tie its flexible tail onto its horns and fire rocks with great force.

A Fakemon Starter I made, hope to make the rest soon (Pansling is almost done.)

Unrelated to pokemon but I wanted to show what I am capable of outside of the franchise. Was a gift for a friend.

If there is anything wrong with this post, I would be happy to edit it to fit the thread making standard. Otherwise I hope those of you who find my work will enjoy it and hopefully my thread will be updated periodically.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I would totally understand if this is taken down immediatley due to only joining this site today but I thought I'd try to contribute to smogon by showing off some of my work!
Naw, our rules doesn't exclude those of fresh join dates, all it takes are an adequate number of images to start off with and you've done just that impeccably. I like how you can manage yourself well in both cartoonish and realistic areas, where the latter was well illustrated in the stormy sea and the icecream twirl on top of Vanillish.

Some things that I think is worth noting is that the water's edge on the beach is rarely a straight line, but instead curved depending on what frequenzy the waves arrives on shore. The legs of your Thrawn also appear to be surprisingly flexible judged solely on its right front leg, although the 'bulge' closest to the stomach could be straightened out a bit so that it has one knee instead of two (it's fourth hind leg should also be visible, although that one can be heavily shaded). I like that you color the lineart to make it fit the dominant color, but sometimes specific parts can be colored differently to better suit the flat color (like the red pants and green spray in the last image), but since I don't know what software you use I can't tell how manageable that would be.

With those nitpicks out of the way, your art is both creative and of good quality, so if you keep practising you're certain to get even better. I'm one of the Art leaders for our non-profit webzine The Smog, so if you feel like contributing art to our articles, shoot me a message.

Naw, our rules doesn't exclude those of fresh join dates, all it takes are an adequate number of images to start off with and you've done just that impeccably. I like how you can manage yourself well in both cartoonish and realistic areas, where the latter was well illustrated in the stormy sea and the icecream twirl on top of Vanillish.

Some things that I think is worth noting is that the water's edge on the beach is rarely a straight line, but instead curved depending on what frequenzy the waves arrives on shore. The legs of your Thrawn also appear to be surprisingly flexible judged solely on its right front leg, although the 'bulge' closest to the stomach could be straightened out a bit so that it has one knee instead of two (it's fourth hind leg should also be visible, although that one can be heavily shaded). I like that you color the lineart to make it fit the dominant color, but sometimes specific parts can be colored differently to better suit the flat color (like the red pants and green spray in the last image), but since I don't know what software you use I can't tell how manageable that would be.

With those nitpicks out of the way, your art is both creative and of good quality, so if you keep practising you're certain to get even better. I'm one of the Art leaders for our non-profit webzine The Smog, so if you feel like contributing art to our articles, shoot me a message.
Wow thank you so much!

The leg on Thrawn was actually bothering me too; I was using photo reference to this tiny deer species and its leg was proving difficult to reproduce so I ended up with the weird "S" leg.. On the last picture, I use Paint Tool Sai and I know what you mean. Well although I could go in and make each individual part a different color, I have deemed that particular piece done and will not work on it anymore although the next piece that involves line art will definitely incorporate your advice.

I looked into The Smog recently and The art is really appropriate; It really makes me think legitimatley published magazine with a pokemon twist. (the picture of the girl with the ferroseed head keeps coming to mind.) I would love to contribute to the zine! If I have anything I feel may be worth inclusion I will definitely let you know!

I like your style! You have a solid grasp of shading and your lineart is quite excellent :D
Thank you! Your kind words are appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Great stuff! I love how well you can manage many different elements in a single piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)