Pokémon X & Y In-game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it wouldn't hurt to make a list of offensive types that are most effective in important gym battles, so I added up all 2x and 4x weaknesses (not distinguished from each other) that the gym and elite Pokemon have in this game, not factoring rival or Lysandre battles (but counting Diantha).

The list doesn't factor context much (for example, there are very few ways to attack the Pokemon in the first gym with rock-type moves; iirc it's just Rollout at that point) which includes the offensive Pokemon's ability to outspeed and, if necessary, take damage, but it's good to know which types of attacks are more useful than others, so that we know that rock and ice are more valuable to have than grass and water, for instance. The fact that Surskit's weaknesses aren't distinguished from Vivillon's weaknesses (due to them differing in difficulty as threats considerably) should also be noted, so this list is just an aid to answering certain questions and most definitely not an end-all-discussion thing.

Here it is (the number shown is the number of gym/elite mons with that weakness):

17 - Rock
16 - Ice
15 - Ground
13 - Fire
12 - Fighting
11 - Flying, Electric
10 - Fairy
9 - Ghost, Steel
7 - Water, Dragon, Dark
6 - Poison, Grass, Psychic
5 - Bug
guess how many - Normal

Yeah, if we take the list literally, then Aurorus, Mamoswine, Magcargo and Graveler are like the best things you can have in the game, which is silly, but it still offers nice insight when you want to check a Pokemon with good speed and/or durability by whether their coverage is topical for some of the more important battles. According to the list, we can tell it's really good to have Dig or Ice Beam access for coverage, but U-Turn and Grass Knot - not nearly as much.

I have researched a bit during my numerous run-throughs in Y Version. All Gym leaders - even the early ones- seem to have Pokemon with 31 IV in all stats.
Maybe some other guys can check as well. This should influence our ratings in the future, as a lot of the estimations in this thread are considerably far away from the truth.

One example in the earlier discussion:
Meditite often had a problem to 0HKO Amaura in the second gym if not on Lv. 25. I made a lot of calculations for the times it happened and also compared the damage i took afterwards, thus Amaura cannot have 0IV in each stat.
Considering the amount of times I rebattled Grant it is very likely that Amaura and Tyrunt have 31 IV in all stats, likewise I calculated for Viola´s Surskit.

As a result I want Vivillon to drop below B, since its average damage output in the first four gyms is a lot lower than what was said in this thread. By the way I battled a lot with Vivillon and took it even into endgame, where there was nearly no safe setup opportunity in the battles that mattered. My adamant, low IV Butterfree was more helpful in all early gyms apart from Ramos and it was still not B worthy.

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
Vivillion is B-tier worthy imo because of Hurricane, meaning it's capable of doing a decent amount of damage late-game. Coupled with Quiver Dance, Vivillion is a pretty decent pokemon late-game (though it performs much better early and mid-game).

Well, my run with Sigilyph/Vileplume/Azumarill/Flareon is over now, I have won against Diantha like two hours ago.

Flareon: A-B Tier

Availability: Route 10 (As an Eevee). The fire stone is on route 9.

Stats: 65 HP / 130 Atk / 60 Def / 95 SpA / 110 SpDef / 65 Spd

Available early: you can have it right before the 2nd gym. Flareon has an amazing 130 Atk, a somewhat usable Sp.Atk, good special bulk, but a somewhat lackluster Speed and mediocre physical bulk.

Typing: Fire. Super-effective against Grass, Bug, Steel and Ice; resists Ice, Fire, Grass, Steel, Bug and Fairy (a welcome buff). Not very effective against Fire, Water, Rock and Dragon. Is weak against Water, Rock and Ground. Overall, a good typing, Water and Rock being the only threats. Flash Fire gives it an immunity to Fire which always nice.

Movepool: You start with Fire Fang at level 20, a 65BP move (without factoring STAB) which is truly powerful as Flareon has a whooping 130 ATK. It will be your main STAB until level 45, when Flareon gets Flare Blitz which will 2HKO and OHKO everything that doesn't resist fire (however, recoil is annoying, as always). Your coverage moves are Return (which is hits pretty hard), Dig (brilliant move, having great synergy with Fire), Bite, Quick Attack, and...that's it. Flame Charge can boost your speed dealing a decent amouny of damage. 95 Sp.Atk is Ok, so moves like Lava Plume and Shadow Ball are usable, but Flareon is much better attacking with physical moves. Sunny Day can help, too.

Major Battles:
Grant: Good against Amaura (AncientPower don't do that much), forget Tyrantum though.
Korrina: Average. Flareon is powerful, but it has poor physical bulk and some coverage moves used by Korrina can be lethal.
Ramos: Solos the gym.
Clemont: Emolga is frail, the others are weak to Dig. Favorable match-up.
Valerie: Eats Mawile alive, Sylveon and Mr.Mime are frail on the physical side. Flareon resists Fairy, and even Mr.Mime's Psychic won't do that much. Another good match-up.
Olympia: Flare Blitz takes care of Sigilyph and Meowstick. Slowking, while trickier, hasn't any Water move.
Wulfric: lol. Flare Blitz even 2HKO Avalugg.

Team Flare: Pretty good actually. Fire Fang/Flare Blitz and Dig are your main moves which covers almost the entire team. Lysandre's Gyarados is the only no-go overall.

Elite 4: Wikstrom is a joke: Flareon OHKO its entire team with Flare Blitz. It can help vs Malva: Dig takes care of Pyroar and Chandelure. Talonflame and Torkoal are trickier: the former is immune to Ground and hits hard with Brave Bird, the latter has Stone Edge and Earthquake. Drasna is OK: Dragale is weak to Dig, Altaria and Noivern haven't a high Def. Siebold is a giant NO. Against Diantha, Flareon can handle Aurorus, Mega-Gardevoir and Gourgeist, but Tyrantrum is a no-go. The other 2 are average.

Additional Comments: 65 Speed wasn't that bad but mine was Jolly (-Sp.Atk, +Speed). With a neutral nature I would surely have had a different feedback. Flareon OHKO'd and 2HKO'd so many things that I was pretty sure it was an A-tier, but a lackluster physical bulk and the Speed deal aren't doing it any favors.

My Y run has surprised me with the fact that Golett is actually all right. Not gamebreaking, but not nearly as bad as I had figured it'd be.

Golett - B Tier
Availability:
Route 10. Common, lv. 19-21.

Stats: Nice Attack, workable bulk, slow as shit. Takes a long time to evolve, and its stats start to become a bit less desirable midgame - but its typing and movepool let it hang onto viability long enough to reach level 43 and start hitting things hard and taking hits better.

Typing: Ground/Ghost is interesting. You have three useful immunities, useful Poison/Rock/Bug resistances, and some problematic weaknesses to Water/Grass/Ice/Dark/Ghost. End result: a lot of very very good matchups and a lot of very very bad matchups.

Movepool: Iron Fist Shadow Punch as a starting move is a godsend. Ghost typing is just as useful ingame as competitively; it hits a lot of things hard. Rollout is useful enough early on, but should be dumped once more options open up. Early Magnitude is nice, if a bit unreliable. In terms of TMs, Iron Fist Power-Up Punch is awesome; Rock Tomb is a decent option, too. Rock Polish is potentially interesting for Gyms/Lysandre/etc. if you can set it up. Late in the game, you get Shadow Punch/Earthquake/Stone Edge and can just shit on the world.

Major Battles:

Laughs at Korrina's Gym. I think one of the Trainers there is running a random Dark move on something, but other than that you've got a load of things with Normal/Fighting coverage. Fucking Hawlucha does absolutely nothing to you - Korrina's only way of damaging Golett is Machoke's Rock Tomb, which is, uh, yeah.
Ramos fucks you over with Grass attacks coming from things that outrun Golett. (everything outruns Golett)
Most of Clemont's Gym can't touch Golett, though. I think I went in there after having favored other Pokémon for a while and gained like 10 levels because of the whole deal where everything was running Electric/Normal moves.
Doesn't do well against Team Flare's Dark-types, but it can tank Golbat/Croagunk's hits and hit back with Rock Tomb or Magnitude.
Does all right in Valerie's Gym, hitting Klefki/Kirlia/Mr. Mime/Mawile/etc. for super-effective damage and taking hits surprisingly well in spite of the fact that it hasn't evolved yet.
It should evolve in time for Olympia's Gym, which means it'll trash everything that's not Exeggutor, Jynx, or her Meowstic.
Don't try using it against Wulfric, just don't.
Against the Elite Four, it deals well with all of Malva's team apart from Chandelure and with Wikstrom's Klefki/Probopass.
Against Diantha, you can totally just teach it Shadow Punch/Earthquake/Power-Up Punch/Rock Polish using your TMs before the battle, set up on the Hawlucha that can't hit you with anything stronger than a doubly-resisted Poison Jab, and sweep.
Does well against Serena/Calem's Meowstick until battle 5 (like Olympia, a fast Shadow Ball is a bad thing), and can handle Jolteon and Braixen/Delphox if applicable.

Again - all of your important matchups go two ways: they can't do anything at all to Golett/Golurk and it walks all over them, or something sprays it with a squirt gun or something and it up and dies on you. No average matchups. At all. This is why it's workable in spite of the whole thing where it doesn't evolve until Lv. 43 - 73 base Attack at Valerie is questionable, but the things you're using Golett against are mostly the sizable list of things that can't inflict meaningful harm on it by virtue of its typing.

Additional Comments: Get Iron Fist. Golett is really really bad with Klutz. Hindered by its lack of speed - it mostly takes chip damage, but that still means it eats a lot of Moomoo Milks.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
From my experience of Golett, I found it to be pretty bad. It has five weaknesses, all of which are pretty common ingame, & most of the time when I thought I could own something with it, it had an annoying tendency to die to a random SE move. Magnitude is one of the shittiest moves in the entire game, & being forced to put up with either it (or more likely Bulldoze) until Level 45 (or 50 if you could not handle Golett for another two levels) is ridiculously annoying. Simply put the inconsistency was something shocking. One minute you get a Magnitude 8 & get your opponent down to a low health, only to roll Magnitude 4 the next & then die. Power-up Punch + Shadow Punch + Iron Fist is a pretty cool combo, but you rarely ever get the time to set up, especially given how quickly Golett tends to fall. I feel like the major matchups are a little bit off. Not to mention it is very slow.

Rival: Depends. You beat Meowstic (until Shadow Ball), lose to Absol, & everything else depends.
Grant: Both Pokémon have ways to fuck you over, Tyrunt in particular, who can just bite you.
Korrina: You win.
Ramos: You lose.
Clemont: Okay Emolga cannot do much, neither can Magneton, but Heliolisk simply nukes you with Grass Knot.
Valerie: Mawile does not pose a threat, but her other two Pokémon love to blunt your Physical power & then smack you with Dazzling Gleam. Okay.
Olympia: You should win here, though Meowstic can pose some problems with Shadow Ball.
Wulfric: You lose.
Team Flare: You lose to the Dark-types as well as Gyarados. You should win elsewhere.
Wilkstrom: Favourable, but you lose to Aegislash (Who can survive one hit in Shield Forme & destroy you with Shadow Claw), & Scizor gives you headaches with Night Slash.
Malva: You lose to Chandelure, & Talonflame gives you issues. The other two are easy wins, though Pyroar can hurt.
Drasna: Average I guess, but Speed is not on your side.
Siebold: You lose.
Diantha: Win against Hawlucha, Aurorus is pretty average, & you lose the rest. Unless you decide to abuse TM's to set up on Hawlucha of course, but still... (Why Diantha cannot just switch out, idk)
AZ: You win I guess?

Maybe it was just me, but I found Golett to basically be pretty bad, & in the lategame, it simply fainted a bajillion times. Also if you decide to be an inefficient fuck & Amie it until you get boosted experience, it will take forever to get to two hearts (as a Golurk) as its bonding animations take forever, not that it really matters since Amie is considered too inefficient for tiering. It is basically too vulnerable & too slow, meaning it is too inefficient for B-Tiering. C-Tier at best, & even that feels shaky imo (I think it is probably worth a D).

---

As far as Emolga for C is concerned, I feel it is worth a look-in. It has the speed to make things work, it is pretty frail, & its offences are not that amazing, but the jump in usability when it gets Acrobatics really caught me by surprise; it surprisingly soloed the Courmarine Rival Fight (Rival had Frogadier) for me, & also creamed Ramos very easily. I replaced it after Gym 6 for a Murkrow (which I should not have done tbh. Also I needed a flier, & did not want to teach it to my Golurk...), so I can only go from theory how it does after that point, but it does not look amazing. It creams most of Lysandre's team, & Siebold is also a great match-up, but its frailty is probably going to be a let-down. It is D-Tier at the worst, but I am open for a higher tiering than D. C-Tier is pretty valid.

---

I also do not buy Flareon for A-Tier tbh. I feel like its speed, & its reliance on a recoil move (as well as bad physical bulk) are pretty big let-downs, & Wilkstrom is not a complete joke per se either; Probopass can take a hit with Sturdy & smack it with a Power Gem, & idk about Aegislash, especially since its shield bulk is massive, & it can deal some heavy damage in return with neutral STAB Shadow Claw if it survives. There are also some other nitpicky things I could go through, but I do not feel it is good enough for A-Tier, although Fire is a pretty solid typing to have in this game! Maybe a B-Tiering at best imho.

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
I also do not buy Flareon for A-Tier tbh. I feel like its speed, & its reliance on a recoil move (as well as bad physical bulk) are pretty big let-downs, & Wilkstrom is not a complete joke per se either; Probopass can take a hit with Sturdy & smack it with a Power Gem, & idk about Aegislash, especially since its shield bulk is massive, & it can deal some heavy damage in return with neutral STAB Shadow Claw if it survives. There are also some other nitpicky things I could go through, but I do not feel it is good enough for A-Tier, although Fire is a pretty solid typing to have in this game! Maybe a B-Tiering at best imho.
I partially agree. Flareon isn't perfect: it has a somewhat lackluster Speed (but really, it wasn't THAT bad) and a poor physical bulk. I disagree about Probopass and Aegislash. Probopass won't even 2HKO Flareon with Power Gem (Power Gem has only 70 BP, Probopass has a low Sp.Atk and Flareon is quite bulky on the Special side with 110 Sp.Def) so you can use Flare Blitz/Bite/Return in order to break Sturdy and then KO it with Dig without trouble. Flareon actually OHKO'd Aegislash with Flare Blitz (outspeeding it). Really, Wilkstrom is a piece of cake with Flareon on your side). It's B-tier at worst.

B-tier at worst

and best.

Flareon's speed pretty bad. I can only assume it's considered adequate because it has a lot of favorable matchups are on slower pokemon that have no hope in taking a flare blitz, which there isn't anything wrong with that. I just think speed like Darmanitan's would bump it to A-tier (because even then, its power and coverage doesn't match Darmanitan; the special bulk is great though).

Gogoat has higher base speed, but its "favorable" opponents such as water-types are commonly faster, and really hinders its potential as a sweeper. It did for me anyway. Its power and coverage are also bad for its speed (until you get Earthquake), meaning it can't do much to support your team in neutral fights.

If I ever do another run on X/Y, I'll definitely try Flareon. The thought of it having flare blitz makes me want to use it.

Last edited:
Tomy, what were your levels like? In most of those matchups, imagining a lower-levelled Flareon changes things a whole lot. For example, sure you can take an attack from Sylveon, but what are you going to do against him - Fire Fang? I also wonder how many Thunderbolts Flareon would survive against Clemont in spite of its special bulk, or how it's supposed to take on Mega Gardevoir when being, let's say, 10 levels lower (which is hardly the worst you can get with a full team w/o Exp Share).

Amaura has Rock Tomb not Ancientpower by the way, so if you're not OHKOing with Rock Smash then you'll be taking two of these in a row. Pretty bad matchup in that gym.

I would say Flareon is a definite C. Earlygame nuke with Fire Fang off that sky-high phys attack, and losing out to all other fire-types due to being slow, having a poor movepool and no setup options (not even Hone Claws). Flare Blitz comes way too late too, though you can attack specially just fine between Fire Fang and Flare Blitz.

Here, I'll give this a try.

Slowpoke/Slowbro: B Tier

Availability: You can first get Slowpoke on Route 12, which is just past the 3rd (Fighting-type) gym, which isn’t great, but it works. He’s pretty common there and comes somewhere around levels 23-25.
-Typing: Water/Psychic is a very helpful typing, gaining offensive advantages against Rock, Ground, Fire, Fighting, and Poison. While having four weaknesses (Grass, Electric, Dark, and Ghost) isn’t great, if you picked up Bulbasaur, these two are great compliments type-wise.
-Stats: If you need some bulk and/or a great water-type, this is your man. Admittedly, his stats are pretty bad until he evolves. Once that evolution happens, though, great physical bulk, nice Sp. Attack, and some respectable Special bulk make him a very strong contributor. However, he is really slow, so don’t depend on him to pull off many straight-sweeps.
-Movepool: The offensive movepool isn’t great, as you’ll be spamming Surf for a good portion of the game, but once Psychic comes at level 49, your opponents better prepare their anus. The TMs for Ice Beam and Fire Blast come late in game, but they add some nice variety. It learns Slack Off at level 36, too, if you’re into that sort of thing.
-Major Battles: Unfortunately, everyone’s favorite dunce shows up at the wrong point in the game. You can get him before the 3rd (Fighting) gym, but he gets out-muscled by the high attack power of Korrina’s pokes. He faces a huge type disadvantage in the next two gyms, but he could be evolved by the time you face Clemont. After evolving, he does a good job in the next two gyms, but doesn’t have a type advantage. Everything but Mightyena and Manectric is obliterated when you face Team Flare, which is HUGE. He isn’t too great in the Ice gym, though. But, most of all, where Slowbro truly shines is the Elite Four. From my calculations, there are only a combined FIVE pokemon in the entire E-4 (Scizor, Chandelure, Aegislash, Gourgeist, and Starmie) that he has trouble with as long as you’re packing Ice Beam, Surf, and Psychic. Ridiculous. Slowbro is decent against AZ, too.
-Other: If you’re going for an ability, go with Own Tempo, unless someone can get you Regenerator. Overall, Slowbro takes some patience and coddling until he evolves, but it will all be worth it when you’re mowing down Team Flare and the Elite Four.

Last edited:

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam - A Tier

Abra/Kadabra - B Tier

Availability: Abra is a very rare encounter on Route 5. Combined with Teleport; it is potentially annoying to capture.
-Typing: Psychic is not a bad typing for most of the game; with a lack of major battles that use Ghost; Bug or Dark type attacks besides the occasional Team Flare fights.
-Stats: The Abra line basically defined Glass Cannon. It hits hard; it hits fast; but it cannot take a hit to save it's life. But this is In-Game; so you shouldn't be taking those hits!
-Movepool: Leveling up is Mono-Psychic; even it's support movepool [Bar Disable and Recover]. Notable TM's include Shadow Ball; Charge Beam; Energy Ball; Hidden Power; Grass Knot; and Dazzling Gleam
-Major Battles:
Grant: Will not survive a hit in most cases; although it is certainly able to deal massive damage with Confusion
Korrina: Sweeps the gym
Ramos: The guy is enough of a joke that only Gogoat may be an issue
Clemont: Beats Emolga; has to stay away from Magneton. Heliolist depends on your levels.
Valerie: Poor; since fairies have high Sp.Def; and 2/3rds of her team resists Psychic
Olympia: Average. Grass Knot beats Slowbro; and Gleam makes it put up a fight with Silyglyph too.
Team Flare: Sweeps the team except pokemon that carry Sucker Punch since you should have Gleam to hit the Darks.
Wulfric: STAB Psychic should beat Abomasnow and Avalugg.

Rival: Capable of dealing with all three starters [Greninja with Gleam; Chesnaught with Psychic and Delphox with Shadow Ball]. Absol and Meowstic both pose problems; although I cannot recall if Absol carries Sucker Punch at any point in the main game. Everything else gets swept.

Malva: Keep away from Talonflame [As it may be faster than you]; sweeps everything else with raw power as Alakazam. Torkoal and Chandelure should fall to Kadabra
Wilkstom: If you happen to have HP Fire; go wild. Otherwise you can still Shadow Ball Ageislash.
Dransa: OHKO Dragalge with Psychic. Altaria is bulky enough it may survive Gleam; but the rest of her team should not.
Seibold: Switch up to Charge Beam and sweep. Grass Knot OHKO's Barbuncle.
Dianthia: Can literally sweep her team except Mega Gardevoir. Which always comes out last. Psychic Hawlucha; Gleam her Dragons [Goodra will take multiple hits]; Grass Knot Aurorus and Shadow Ball Goltergheist. You can even fire off a Shadow Ball on M.Gardevoir before you fall.

-Other:
I'd have possibly put Alakazam in S; but the time to get an Abra; and then the 10~16 period of uselessness dosen't help [Although it is not hard to level it to 16 with teammates helping]. A lack of coverage until later in the game dosen't help; although STAB Confusion from Base 120 or 135 Sp.Atk destroys pretty much everything when it comes; and outspeeds everything.
Kadabra is very similar to Alakazam; but is 15 speed and Sp.Atk lower [Let's face it those are the only stats that actually matter on this thing]. As such; it misses out on OHKO's Alakazam would have got; and the loss of bulk in combination dosen't help. Kadabra is still VERY solid however.

Besides; 'Karp makes A with grinding to 20 while being useless. So Alakazam should make A as well. The grinding is not a counter-argument here.

Shame Mega-Zam is postgame; because it's Base 175 Sp.Atk and Base 150 Speed would be an easy S Rank.

Last edited:
Malva: Keep away from Talonflame [As it may be faster than you]; sweeps everything else with raw power as Alakazam. Torkoal and Chandelure should fall to Kadabra
Wilkstom: If you happen to have HP Fire; go wild. Otherwise you can still Shadow Ball Ageislash.
Dransa: OHKO Dragalge with Psychic. Altaria is bulky enough it may survive Gleam; but the rest of her team should not.
Seibold: Switch up to Charge Beam and sweep. Grass Knot OHKO's Barbuncle.
Dianthia: Can literally sweep her team except Mega Gardevoir. Which always comes out last. Psychic Hawlucha; Gleam her Dragons [Goodra will take multiple hits]; Grass Knot Aurorus and Shadow Ball Goltergheist. You can even fire off a Shadow Ball on M.Gardevoir before you fall.
So what level was this alakazam when you entered the elite four? I'm not disputing its speed or tiering, but I don't see Alakazam being powerful enough to sweep at all unless he's like lv 55+.

I'm just asking because I used Espeon on my last run and it wasn't strong enough for crucial KO's (thus, it would be OHKO'ed or 2hko'ed), and it had a mild nature to render the power difference much smaller. The huge difference I can understand though is Espeon's crucially lower speed and lack of charge beam. For example, Altaria survived Dazzling Gleam from a +2 espeon and IIRC druddigon did too (which I was KO'ed by dragon tail).

Sorry for being skeptical, but I don't believe much of this other than beating things like Hawlucha, Gourgeist and Aurorus. I blame the level curve though, because I've used Espeon and Alakazam in multiple runs before.

I still have the Elite Four to beat on my run, but so far my impression is that Kadabra is C tier material, and I'm not entirely sure how much Kazam's advantages make it better. I do know that being able to carry an Eviolite is pretty good for its poor bulk and was the item I stuck on it the moment I got it, with no better users in sight. The fact that it levels very slowly doesn't help.

It's got bad coverage until Grass Knot/Charge Beam, which aren't exactly the hottest moves either, mostly waiting for Reflect/Calm Mind as its "defensive" moves (ones that let it stay to kill things it can't OHKO, which is most things). Early Psybeam is very powerful at that point, and I imagine even moreso as Alakazam (I was 2HKOing just barely a lot of the time regardless), but everytime it misses a OHKO (not too many enemies are fighters and those who are can take a Psybeam just fine too, as you begin facing stuff like Throh and not stuff like Machop very very early) it's too likely to get killed. I think I revived it a lot of times without really doing anything stupid.

I also found it running support a lot of the time, such as when up against threatening fighters like Conkeldurr, who 2HKO'd Eviolite Kadabra with Reflect up, putting up the screen and switching to something bulkier such as Chesnaught who's my starter on this run (the thing's not bad at all).

Never bothered teaching mine Gleam as it wouldn't be powerful enough for a fairy-type moves, instead going for Shadow Ball to set up on psychic-types and stuff like Carbink and then try to sweep the whole team (sometimes worked because the AI seems to like using Kingdra and even Azumarill with entirely special movesets).

I still think C tier is the place to put both Zam and Kadabra, but you should emphasise Calm Mind in your analysis a lot more because it's definitely the best move it's got (same for other psychics and fairies).

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
Tomy, what were your levels like? In most of those matchups, imagining a lower-levelled Flareon changes things a whole lot. For example, sure you can take an attack from Sylveon, but what are you going to do against him - Fire Fang? I also wonder how many Thunderbolts Flareon would survive against Clemont in spite of its special bulk, or how it's supposed to take on Mega Gardevoir when being, let's say, 10 levels lower (which is hardly the worst you can get with a full team w/o Exp Share).

Amaura has Rock Tomb not Ancientpower by the way, so if you're not OHKOing with Rock Smash then you'll be taking two of these in a row. Pretty bad matchup in that gym.

I would say Flareon is a definite C. Earlygame nuke with Fire Fang off that sky-high phys attack, and losing out to all other fire-types due to being slow, having a poor movepool and no setup options (not even Hone Claws). Flare Blitz comes way too late too, though you can attack specially just fine between Fire Fang and Flare Blitz.
I was training a team of 4 without Exp.Share. I tried to keep the same level for all of the poke. I ended the game with Flareon (and the rest) reaching level 62~64. Fire fang is actually a very reliable option (since Sylveon's physical Bulk is somewhat lackluster) where the best move it can do is a NVE Dazzling Gleam vs 110 Sp.def.

Amaura does have Rock Tomb, sorry for the mistake :)) anyway Flareon won against Amaura actually, 2HKOing it (I don't remember if it was a OHKO but I guess not).

Flareon has a somewhat limited movepool but one trully shines, it's Dig. Really, that think was sooooo useful vs Malva, random trainers with rock and poison pokes, Team Flare, Clemont...talking about him, I tested it took pretty well the T-bolts (not even 2HKO with Electric Terrain) so I think it is really bulky. So, being objective, A-tier is pushing to hard but it I think it deserves a solid B-tier.

PS: sorry for the possible mistakes over here, English isn't my native language. Hope my thoughts where clear enough. :))

Those levels do seem pretty high to me, which also explains why some of the mediocre matchups became favourable ones and poor ones became bearable.

With Flareon vs Sylveon, one major problem is that Sylveon should outspeed and use Charm on you, preventing Fire Fang from dealing significant damage. From there Valerie just outstalls you with Hyper Potion unless you keep switching out and trying your luck with the AI using Charm again. That's what happened to my Lax at least, who also had huge special bulk (not huge enough at a level disadvantage though).

Amaura's Rock Tomb drops Flareon's speed by a third, after which it's likely outsped and KO'd next turn. Assuming a Flareon with average IVs in speed, neutral nature and at L22 (which your newly caught Eevee might not even reach before Grant).

Lucchini: The jump between Kadabra and Alakazam is likely very huge (as in A-tier material IMO), due to greater speed (120 base speed becomes much more crucial during E4 time) and much greater attack (natural boost + Mind plate/ other while having the bulk of eviolite kadabra). It also helps to note that Alakazam can learn Calm Mind naturally at lv42 and set up on the Psychic gym before even getting the TM. Lastly, the thought of having access to Alakazam at lvl 16 ...

I agree that CM should have been emphasized more.

Last edited:
I personally used Alakazam so Kadabra may indeed be C. Pretty much all of Kadabra's stats are 15 or more lower than 'Kazam; and when you're slower and hitting less hard and like 15/15/25 less bulky [Which is a massive amount considering the defense numbers in consideration] it may be a bigger issue than I think it is.

However I am fairly confident Alakazam is A material simple through spamming Psychic with Base 135 Sp.Atk; and having decent coverage moves.

Anyway gonna do a run using stuff not listed yet or without a solid placement.

The Sweepz: In my humble opinion, your major battles section in particular needs a lot of work, & the whole thing can be improved. It does not really convince me as to why it should be C/D-Tier. "Swalot Was A Great candidate to my team because he was taking hits and dealing em' back. oh? and that annoying florges? swalot has it under control." This does not really tell the average users how it performs when it comes to battling Gym Leaders or any other "bosses", & is very vague at best. The best I can get from reading it is that it seems to do well against Valerie, but you do not give an idea about how it fares elsewhere other than how it performed on your team. Generally for an in-game run, offence is the best defence, that is, a good offensive movepool means more than a good defensive movepool. Try to focus on offensive moves it can get through Level-up or TM (Breeding is too inefficient) during the main part of the game. Most of your other comments should be in the typing section. Basically in a general sense, that analysis needs a lot of work. It is an okay start, but it is, to put it simply, far from convincing.
Yes I Knew it needed improvements as soon as a posted it. Thats why i thank GOD the edit button is available. So can you check it a second time? im currantly working on a section for team flare. Just ignore my deleted post aswell. i tried to post it but it all ended up fucked up. soooo.... yeah.... just ignore it..

So what level was this alakazam when you entered the elite four? I'm not disputing its speed or tiering, but I don't see Alakazam being powerful enough to sweep at all unless he's like lv 55+.

I'm just asking because I used Espeon on my last run and it wasn't strong enough for crucial KO's (thus, it would be OHKO'ed or 2hko'ed), and it had a mild nature to render the power difference much smaller. The huge difference I can understand though is Espeon's crucially lower speed and lack of charge beam. For example, Altaria survived Dazzling Gleam from a +2 espeon and IIRC druddigon did too (which I was KO'ed by dragon tail).

Sorry for being skeptical, but I don't believe much of this other than beating things like Hawlucha, Gourgeist and Aurorus. I blame the level curve though, because I've used Espeon and Alakazam in multiple runs before.
I hit the E4 at Lv 59 [My team was pretty quick at leveling]. I did not use Alakazam against everything; I had better for some of the matchups; so I am not 100% on some of the claims; although I imagine you'd swap your Mind Plate for a Pixie Plate if using Alakazam against the Dragon E4.

OK, as of yesterday I've beaten the maingame, so I may as well give my 2 cents on the team I used. Keep in mind I was pretty underlevelled for the most part and didn't use the EXP Share, if that in any way alters how you take my judgements.

Froakie - B/C Tier

Availability: A starter, so obviously boasts optimal availability since it's the first thing you get, rofl
Stats: Immensely fast mixed attacker with a bit of a kick but not an overwhelming amount of force, which honestly diminishes the Froakie line as a whole, as a lot of the time it simply isn't powerful enough to nab the instant KOs you think it would. As a Frogadier especially, it gets into a bit of a rut in the mid-20s to the 30s due to its thoroughly mediocre offenses coupled with its poor move selection (I'll detail this lower down), but when you get Greninja (and Surf), it definitely picks up, so it's not entirely negative.
Typing: Water's pretty decent in-game all things considered, matching you up neutrally with most opponents (Dragons are rare and Grass types aren't as common as you'd assume). The Dark type granted by Greninja is really a swing and a miss though, as all it really does is allow Greninja to more safely take on the rare Psychic types and Ghosts while simultaneously granting you a weakness to the very widespread Fairy and Fighting types which further diminishes the ninja's paper defenses.
Movepool: It gets a few very good moves that allow it to excel at certain points in the story, notably a very early level 14 Water Pulse and an immensely powerful Surf on Route 12 to help make up for the relative mediocrity of Froakie and Frogadiers' offenses. However, that's all it really has going for it, as its early coverage is quite frankly atrocious, I had to make do with Round, Dig and Rock Tomb for quite some time on the occasion I couldn't simply spam Water Pulse and win, and it wasn't until fricking Dendemille when I got to relearn Night Slash and snabbed the Grass Knot TM off of Ramos that I felt remotely confident in my coverage. I managed to miss Dark Pulse in my playthrough though, and I'm sure that would've ameleriorated my problems considerably, but for the long and short of it, Froakie gets very powerful STABs at very convenient times, but there is a VERY noticeable drop off in its potential shortly following them, at least until you become Greninja.
Major Battles:
Viola: Worst matchup out of all the starters as you lack SE moves and don't resist Bug.
Grant: Good, but not as brilliant as it would initially seem, as Amaura can paralyze you and Tyrunt is hit neutrally by Water Pulse, though the AI may allow you to clean sweep.
Korina: Not ideal, as this is in Frogadier's mid life crisis where Water Pulse suddenly stops being amazingly powerful. Machoke's bulk and Hawlucha's everything are likely to beat you here.
Ramos: lol
Clemont: lo- well OK you do have Dig and (likely) Greninja at this stage so you may just be able to beat Heliolisk if you're lucky, but good luck not getting obliterated by Thunderbolt. Emolga's airborne and Magneton has Sturdy so Dig fails against them.
Valerie: Err, you can beat Mawile? You're dead weight against Sylveon and Mimey though, as you'll never break through their special bulk with Greninja and their pesky pixie powers will destroy you.
Olympia: You actually win here providing you pack Night Slash or Dark Pulse.
Team Flare: Generally performs very strongly against Team Flare thanks to its Speed and Surf hitting most of their underpowered mons for either neutral or SE damage. Manectrics are a huge pain in the knickers though.
Wulfric: You lose against Abomasnow (unless you magically got HP Fire), but the other 2 mons can be handled pretty easily depending on your moveset (Avalugg gets demolished by Special attacks, Cryogonal physical)
E4: Malva gets curbstomped and you win against 2/4 of Drasna's team, but the other 2 can beat you through their bulk and SE coverage, and Siebold and Wikstroms teams carry coverage which flatten you. The only member of Diantha's team you even have a remote chance of OHKOing is Aurorus.
AZ: lolsweep
Additional Comments: Greninja is generally great against regular trainers, but its common weaknesses, only decent strength and lack of advantageous matchups where they count render it slightly underwhelming. Missing out on Dark Pulse may have soured my retrospective on it though, and while its poor Gym matchups make me lean towards C, with Dark Pulse and strong Water STABs at convenient times, I imagine it could crack B too.

Scatterbug: - B/C Tier

Availability:
First route of the game, immediately once you receive Poke Balls. No problems here.
Stats: Scatterbug and Spewpa are about as effective in battle as you'd expect a worm and a pupa to be in a frightening world of fighting-crazed dinosaurs, dragons, living weapons and mutated mammals, and so will require babying or grinding to reach its full potential, although Scatterbug learning Stun Spore does help it not be complete and utter dead weight before evolving. When you reach Level 12 though, the sleeper awakens. Vivillon's Struggle Bug is unbelievably strong when you initially get it thanks to Vivillon's amazing (for post-gym 1) stats, literally plowing through everything and 2HKOing resists like they're nothing. It inevitably falls from grace slightly once the rest of your team catches up, but even then remains just fast and strong enough to remain a reliable force thanks to its incredibly well-timed level up movepool.
Typing: Bug/Flying is unbelievably ass, especially with Fairies everywhere resisting your Bug moves, no Flying type STAB until you get Hurricane in the 50s and random Rock coverage moves slaughtering you out of nowhere, but these don't really come into play until a bit later on in the game, so Vivillon's typing isn't too atrocious early on in the game, but after Ramos is around where it starts to kick you to the curb a bit.
Movepool: Inarguably the best thing about Vivillon, its level-up movepool is incredible and ensures it strays relevant right until the end of the game. It not only gets Struggle Bug immediately upon evolving and an early Psybeam for strong effective coverage early-game, but Stun Spore allows it to support the team and help catch other mons providing you're one of those "gotta catch 'em all" players. Draining Kiss is also a godsend by giving you extra coverage against Fighting and Dragon mons in tandem with 75% recovery, ensuring Vivillon survives that little bit longer. However, like Greninja, it gets strong STABs right when it starts to slip, gaining Bug Buzz at level 35, Hurricane (which pairs brilliantly with Compoundeyes if you got that ability like me!) at level 50 and Quiver Dance at level 45, ensuring Vivillon stays relevant and up to par with the rest of your team even with the stat buffs. Set-up is a little inefficient but it REALLY helps Vivillon in the larger battles. About the only thing I'd ask for is a good Flying STAB early on like Air Cutter or something.
Major Battles:
Viola: Don't try it, Spewpa is just far too weak to try battling at this point. Grant: Have you ever seen a butterfly win a fight against a boulder before? Don't try this unless you're suicidal.
Korrina Even with your 4X resistance, Machoke's Rock Tomb ensures you won't sweep this gym and Hawlucha's Flying Type will wreck you.
Ramos: Disregarding Jumpluff's Acrobatics, you do pretty well here.
Clemont: You'll be fried before you can say "Bug Buzz".
Valerie: Fairy resisting Bug means you've not got much business here either unfortunately.
Olympia: You only actually win against Meowstic, Sigilyph flies and Slowking for some reason has Power Gem, pretty much emblemising my comment on random Rock coverage moves.
Team Flare: Whilst OHKOing Toxicroaks and Scraftys will never stop being hilarious, the likes of Houndoom, Swalot and Manectric are all a pain in Vivillons' side.
Wulfric:You win against Abomasnow and possibly Avalugg if you're lucky, but Cryogonal will triumph literally 100% of the time unfortunately.
Elite 4: None of these are positive matchups for Vivillon. You could TRY and set up against Siebold's Clawitzer, but somehow I doubt it'd work out too well, and the rest either wall you, outright murder you, or do both consecutively.
AZ: Terrible
Additional Comments: Similarly to Froakie, what would otherwise be a fantastic mon gets marred slightly by poor Gym matchups and common weaknesses, although it's safe to say Vivillon is one of the best ingame Bugs this side of HG/SS Scyther and I urge more people to try it out. It's not bad people, it actually kicks ass! Definitely leaning more towards B, but getting screwed over by Rock moves and its stats letting me down very late in the game makes me open to a high C too.

Skiddo: - B Tier

Availability:
Comes shortly after the 1st Gym, and is relatively common in Route 5 too.
Stats: Incredibly well-balanced and equally distributed, none of Skiddo or Gogoat's stats go to waste, and it showed in its in-game performance, as it was hands down the most consistent member of my team, solid bulk coupling with high attack and relatively decent Speed to make a reliable Pokemon that could take on almost any situation and come out triumphant (and if not, having made its mark).
Typing: Pure Grass is rather poor offensively but isn't bad defensively, taking many hits neutrally and taking SE hits easily thanks to its brilliant bulk.
Movepool: While early on Skiddo's movepool seems atrocious outside of consistent Grass STAB, purchasing the Bulldoze TM in Lumiose City grants it some really nice early-game coverage in Grass+Ground, and it also learns Take Down relatively soon after if you're feeling really ballsy and want to take on Fliers and Bugs with Skiddo and not another mon. Leech Seed is a fantastic move on a mon as bulky as Gogoat, and ensured even in battles where Goat wouldn't win, it would contribute towards an eventual victory and help preserve either itself and/or the other members of the team, although it becomes redundant somewhat when you learn Horn Leech. Although Gogoat's offensive movepool is limited (it gets Brick Break and Aerial Ace, but not much else), it can be a great HM slave, learning Strength, Surf and Rock Smash (the 2nd of which can also be a good general move too) for convenient playthroughs.
Major Battles:
Grant:
Amaura kinda destroys you and Tyrunt is neutral to Grass, not too great.
Korrina: Can beat Mienfoo and Machoke no sweat, but Hawlucha is scary.
Ramos: No reason to use it here at all, even a Gogoat mirror fails as it has Sap Sipper.
Clemont: Emolga's a bit of an ass, but Magneton and Heliolisk can easily be taken down with Bulldoze. Gogoat does a fine job here.
Valerie: Does well against Mr. Mime and decently against Sylveon, can Bulldoze Mawile too but isn't an optimal choice.
Olympia: Slowking gets destroyed, Sigilyph beats you unfortunately though.
Team Flare: Bulldoze and sheer bulk go a long way in granting Gogoat a surprisingly decent matchup against a lot of Team Flare, though Fire Types and Swalot/Croagunk are best left to other members unless you want to heal after every battle.
Wulfric: NO.
Elite 4:
Siebold gets torn apart (aside from Gyarados) and Bulldoze/Brick Break/Earthquake deals with Wikstrom decently (aside from Scizor), Malva and Drasna are best left to other members though, as is Diantha.
AZ: Beats Golurk, loses to the other 2.
Additional Comments: Not a lot else to say, it was my most consistent member by far, pulling through when I needed it to and in a lot of situations I wouldn't expect it to as well, supporting the team and pulling its weight all the while. Horn Leech and Leech Seed also made it the member least reliant on potions for healing, which is always a plus!

Amaura: - D Tier

Availability:
Between the 1st and 2nd gyms, although it comes with an opportunity cost of not being able to pick Tyrunt.
Stats: Amaura is slow but surprisingly powerful and rather tanky and durable, a combination which unfortunately is at odds with that atrocious typing, rendering it easily hit for SE damage and oftentimes its bulk is compromised by its numerous weaknesses, making it seem a lot less bulky than it really is. However, it's powerful right out of the box, with powerful attacks and a great ability which buffs moves like Return and Take Down significantly, giving you pseudo-STAB and helping dent things (or take them out) very effectively.
Typing: Oh my GOD I am never ever using Amaura in-game again, and predictably, this is the sole reason as to why. Seriously Ice/Rock is a really cool typing, but in-game it is beyond a joke, with Fighting types being amazingly common and Steel coverage moves literally revealing themselves out of bumfuck nowhere. You could be facing a Pidgeotto or a Shelgon or something you should theoretically tank and effortlessly KO, but NOPE, they use Iron Head, Flash Cannon, Steel Wing or whatever and you suddenly have a fainted Amaura/Aurorus, it was the most proposterous farce you could imagine and made even battles you were confident you could win into a guessing game of "does it have a Fighting/Steel coverage move or not" that really put down Amaura's performance and made using it a total chore. On the plus side, Ice and Rock is a great offensive combination that kills a lot of stuff, and Aurorus certainly isn't lacking in mixed firepower.
Movepool: Aurorus' movepool is a little mediocre, but it has everything it needs to be a strong contender. Refrigerate turning your Normal moves into Super-STABs, Bulldoze to help hit Steel mons, Freeze Dry to act as insurance against Water Types as well Thunderbolt for additional coverage and Rock Tomb for near immediate Rock STAB that also helps alleviate its poor Speed. A pretty strong movepool, not particularly large, but certainly enough to get the job done.
Major Battles:
Grant:
Rock is SE on Ice and both Amaura and Tyrunt can hit with Rock Attacks you lack.
Korrina: Are you mentally challenged?
Ramos: Unusually, although it's weak to Grass, Amaura has the bulk to live a few attacks and can use this gym as quite a good training spot! Gotta have lots of potions though, which isn't exactly the best plan of action, but Amaura can do work here!
Clemont: Bulldoze can do work against a lot of Electric mons in here, but watch out for the Magnets, their Steel moves will obliterate you without remorse.
Valerie: Refrigerate Return deals good damage against a lot of the mons in this Gym, but Mawile and Klefki are huge threats and Aurorus' low speed makes it a fairly subpar choice to sweep through the gym.
Olympia: It's just too slow.
Team Flare: Deals with the Bats VERY nicely (minus Xerosic's Crobat, goddamn Steel Wing X..X) and Bulldoze beats Fires/Electrics/Poisons. A good grunt killer, but again, needs continual healing to stay healthy.
Wulfric: Rock Tomb helps you beat Cryogonal, but I wouldn't recommend Aurorus here.
Elite 4: Malva's Talonflame gets beaten by Rock Tomb, and Drasna gets swept dry aside from Noivern's Focus Blast, but nothing else matches up well for Aurorus (Freeze Dry failed to OHKO Gyarados X.X). Beats Diantha's Gourgeist (and Goodra thanks to Focus Miss ^.^) though.
AZ: Golurk and Sigilyph are beaten, Torkoal is best left to something else.

Additional Comments: While I sound immensely negative and honestly never want to use this thing again for as long as I live, Amaura has a lot of positives buried within its laundry list of shortcomings, making it perfect D Tier material. Use it carefully and make the most of its unique traits and it should be a pretty strong member of your team. Tyrunt is probably more consistent and a LOT less stressful to use though.

Klefki: - C/D Tier

Availability:
Very late, comes after Valerie and the hope Poke Ball Factory fiasco, so rather poor availability that renders it as a difficult fit on one's team.
Stats: Like Gogoat, nothing goes to waste here at all, a very balanced set of stats that allow it to just about deal enough damage to be viable and just enough bulk to be a reliable pivot. Mine was Relaxed, but still accomplished everything it needed to do and was probably the team member who fainted the least. Being in the Fast EXP group, immediately gaining Dazzling Gleam by virtue of coming after Valerie and the route it's on being littered with Dark types additionally made training it very easy, and it was on par with the rest of my teams' levels practically all the time.
Typing: Amazing. Steel/Fairy grants 2 very useful immunities while simultaneously dealing with the influx of Fighters and Fairies and garnering only 2 relatively uncommon weaknesses. I chose Klefki pretty much solely because of this factor, and it lived up to its incredible typing by taking down anything it needed to. Strong neutral hits such as High Jump Kicks from Hawlucha and Mienshao were a problem though, as Klefki's only mediocre bulk made it ineffective as a catch-all behemoth and much more of an insurance mon against Fighters, Fairies and Dragons which threatened me, a niche which it accomplished incredibly well but additionally meant it was the member I used the least overall.
Movepool: Shallow, but Play Rough and Dazzling Gleam gave me strong STAB on both sides of the spectrum, Foul Play gave it options against Ghosts and Psychic types, and Mirror Shot was my move of choice on Fairies. This was literally the set I used on it throughout my time with it, and while not particularly great, it accomplished everything it needed to. Including OHKOing Aegislash with Foul Play.
Major Battles:
Olympia:
Resists Psychic but can't quite do anything of significance back as Psychics tend to lack Attack to use with Foul Play.
Team Flare: Scraggys and Scraftys are dealt with handily, but Klefki doesn't match up too well against the other mons they use.
Wulfric: While Mirror Shot is a pretty weak STAB, it deals with all 3 of Wulfrics mons pretty easily!
Elite 4: Laughs in Drasna's face and takes down Diantha's Hawlucha and Aurorus reather handily, but isn't too great otherwise.
AZ: Yeaaah I'd rather not

Additional Comments: I used it expecting it to be on Smeargle/Wobbuffet levels of uselessness, but Klefki defied all the odds and proved to be an immensely solid member of my team, even though I only really brought it out when I was up against something the rest of my team couldn't handle. It's very difficult to justify using so late in the game, especially if you already have the Steel or Fairy base covered, and won't be sweeping through absolutely everything like a Lucario, Sawk or a Charizard Y, but providing you invest in training it a little bit and playing to its strengths, it will surprise you. This thing is definitely NOT useless ingame.

Noibat: - D/E Tier

Availability:
Amongst the worst in the game. It's after the 7th Gym, in an optional cave, only appears in ceiling drop encounters (which can be SRed for but are really hard to notice initially) and is rare in those encounters to begin with. So yeah, you REALLY have to go out of your way to find one of these, although being able to SR for a beneficial natured one might help.
Stats: Noibat's stats transcend "laughable" and ascend towards some form of bizarro futility which even Magikarp can't achieve. For crying out loud, my neutral natured Noibat couldn't even 2HKO a Gurrdurr of the same level with Fly! However, being at Level 45 means you don't have to contend with this atrocity for long (I had 2 Rare Candies so only 1 level of torture for me), and... while Noivern IS substantially better than Noibat, it's also weaker than Greninja, who already had minor strength issues of its own, so I was actually pretty underwhelmed with Noivern's power, even after relearning multiple fitting attacks with Heart Scales. It's very fast though, and generally always 2HKOed what it was up against, for better or for worse (worse imo since it should be OHKOing most of the time)
Typing: Worse than you'd expect. Being a Dragon is quite detrimental for Noivern, with so many trainers using Fairy types and all, and the random Rock coverage moves used by random trainers often left a dent in it that required continual healing. Its Flying type was pretty useful, but was let down somewhat by only mediocre Special Attack.
Movepool: Very diverse and learns a lot of powerful moves, including Hurricane, Super Fang, Boomburst, Focus Blast, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball and Dragon Pulse. However, all of these are reliant either on TM purchases or on Heart Scales, and the nerf in the power of some of these moves combined with Noivern's already underwhelming stats made a lot of its moves fairly inconsequential as very rarely would the move in question OHKO. Don't even bother with Air Slash, it's FAR too weak and I regret not replacing it immediately with Hurricane when I had the chance.
Major Battles:
Wulfric: Don't.
It can beat Abomasnow with Hurricane but you get OHKOed by everything.
Elite 4: Surprisingly ineffectual against Drasna as all of her Dragons have some degree of bulk that allow them to live a Dragon move, and her Noivern will likely outlevel and outspeed yours. Does OK against Siebold and Malva I guess, but does nothing of worth against Wikstrom.
AZ: Not a lot here either

Additional Comments: As sad as I am to say this, Noivern severely let me down. Whether it was due to shit IVs, redundancy with Vivillon as a Flying type and most of my team as Special Attackers, middling attack power or over reliance on outside help for its only worthwhile moves, I wouldn't recommend Noivern at all unless you're a really really big fan, as it was generally an underachiever and by far the most expendable member of my team. Not recommended, I'd push for E personally, but I may have just had a really shitty draw with IVs, so a low D I'll also accept. And this is totally ignoring the complete and utter farce that is Noibat as well as the effort needed to find it in the first place.

Apologies if these opinions are subpar, but I'm just giving my 2 cents of how they performed in this specific playthrough, and thought the extra opinions on some mons (particularly Klefki and Noibat) would be rather helpful. I'll further justify my choices if anybody needs an explanation.

Last edited:

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
Those levels do seem pretty high to me, which also explains why some of the mediocre matchups became favourable ones and poor ones became bearable.

With Flareon vs Sylveon, one major problem is that Sylveon should outspeed and use Charm on you, preventing Fire Fang from dealing significant damage. From there Valerie just outstalls you with Hyper Potion unless you keep switching out and trying your luck with the AI using Charm again. That's what happened to my Lax at least, who also had huge special bulk (not huge enough at a level disadvantage though).

Amaura's Rock Tomb drops Flareon's speed by a third, after which it's likely outsped and KO'd next turn. Assuming a Flareon with average IVs in speed, neutral nature and at L22 (which your newly caught Eevee might not even reach before Grant).
The levels were a bit higher because there were 2 poke with a Medium Fast leveling rate (Flareon and Sigilyph) and another with a Fast leveling rate (Azumarill) on my team. Vileplume has a Medium Slow leveling rate, so she levels up a bit more slowly, but it's not like you had a team with only Slow and Erratic leveling Rate. Flareon levels up relatively fast: what's wrong with that?

Actually Flareon was faster than Sylveon. And don't forget that Fire resists Fairy, so Flareon takes Dazzling Gleam like a champ. Fire Fang has 2 cool secondary effects that can help you, eventually. I don't remember exactly what happened vs Sylveon, but Flareon was really good vs Valerie.

Flareon can at least take a weakened Amaura, but still, Grant isn't Flareon best shot. But i think that after Korrina it becomes reaaaaally good, having favorable match-ups against the last 5 gym Leaders (Impressive, to say the least), being pretty useful against Team Flare, and a Ok performance against the elite 4 seems a obvious B-tier to me.

Little question here, I want to use Lucario which one is better choice?

- Capture riolu early.
- Wait for Korrina's Lucario.

Riolu will garuntee random 3 31 iv, but Korrina's Lucario Garuntee Hasty Nature.

Lucchini: The jump between Kadabra and Alakazam is likely very huge (as in A-tier material IMO), due to greater speed (120 base speed becomes much more crucial during E4 time) and much greater attack (natural boost + Mind plate/ other while having the bulk of eviolite kadabra). It also helps to note that Alakazam can learn Calm Mind naturally at lv42 and set up on the Psychic gym before even getting the TM. Lastly, the thought of having access to Alakazam at lvl 16 ...

I agree that CM should have been emphasized more.
I personally used Alakazam so Kadabra may indeed be C. Pretty much all of Kadabra's stats are 15 or more lower than 'Kazam; and when you're slower and hitting less hard and like 15/15/25 less bulky [Which is a massive amount considering the defense numbers in consideration] it may be a bigger issue than I think it is.

However I am fairly confident Alakazam is A material simple through spamming Psychic with Base 135 Sp.Atk; and having decent coverage moves.

Anyway gonna do a run using stuff not listed yet or without a solid placement.
Well, the thought of having Alakazam at lv. 16 is not drastically different from the thought of having Kadabra at lv. 16 and let me tell you I wasn't impressed with mine at all in the 6-mon party ran, though being able to switch into fighting-types after learning Reflect was a good boon.

We have always distinguished between trade evolutions that warrant a tier difference and ones that don't (e.g. Kadabra/Alakazam are very similar and learn the same moves, while Onix/Steelix are very different, as are the BW bugs, or even Haunter/Gengar in gen 2 games). I see Machoke and Machamp in the same tier right now, and I don't see a reason why Zam would warrant a tier advantage over Kadabra either - let alone two tiers. The base stall advantage Zam has is minimal indeed, and Kadabra has the flexibility of holding something bolstering its offence or choosing the Eviolite for better bulk, especially on the special side, an opportunity Zam does not have.

Have we agreed on a tiering for Espeon? Both Alakazam and Kadabra should be in the same tier most probably.

Little question here, I want to use Lucario which one is better choice?

- Capture riolu early.
- Wait for Korrina's Lucario.

Riolu will garuntee random 3 31 iv, but Korrina's Lucario Garuntee Hasty Nature.
I think it depends on whether you expect to have any trouble with the second gym. I'd advise waiting for the legendary Lucario because the early portion of the game is easy enough, you needn't worry about boosting friendship artificially and your early team gets more experience thanks to Lucario not being there.

I imagine early frienship-evolved Lucario is about as destructive as early-evolved Azumarill, though, with just the L15 Force Palm.

I don't think using Kadabra with either a power boosting or defense boosting item is considered "flexibility." It's more like sacrificing one or the other, since Alakazam is completely superior in terms of base stats. Whichever boost you choose, Alakazam already has VERY similar, while having the other boost as well. Regarding Special bulk, you need a respectable amount of SpD EVs to be [noticeably] bulkier than Alakazam, especially given Kadabra's lower HP.

(It's still a good thing if you're stuck with Kadabra though, which your argument makes more sense when comparing it to other Psychic types that are competing for a spot on your team, such as Mr. Mime or Meowstic)

I brought up Calm Mind because Alakazam can learn it naturally (42) and Kadabra cannot. It can use it for the battle vs. Olympia and perform an utter sweep, as opposed to Kadabra who can likely only take down Slowking.

There is also the extra speed, which is crucial for the pokemon league battles (vs. Pyroar, Hawlucha, and Starmie, for example), and the ultimately superior power that makes STAB Psychic more susceptible to OHKO'ing things (against the E4, +1 would commonly be needed).

I just think you're underestimating how crucial the extra speed and power is, especially for late-game. Don't forget X/Y's level curve w/o the EXP share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)