VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good nature for an intimidate scrafty? (for doubles). I'm sorry if this doesn't go here but i couldn't find scrafty analisis for VGC14.

Really depends on your team needs. If you plan to have a trick room part you can go with a Brave nature, on the other hand if you want to stop Trick Room for setting up you can go for an Adamant nature.

Back in the days of VGC2013 when Dragon Gem Latios was rampant the only way Scrafty have to survive a hit was to run a Careful nature. Again it really depends on your team needs.

Really depends on your team needs. If you plan to have a trick room part you can go with a Brave nature, on the other hand if you want to stop Trick Room for setting up you can go for an Adamant nature.

Back in the days of VGC2013 when Dragon Gem Latios was rampant the only way Scrafty have to survive a hit was to run a Careful nature. Again it really depends on your team needs.
Thanks for the reply! I'm currently building a sun team (Victreebel, Ninetales is all i have right now) for my first VGC team ever so i know absolutely nothing. Is there another thread like this but for deepeder discussion? i don't want to break this one rules.

They only thing that will break this thread rules would be to post you whole team here since there is a RMT forum and a VGC2014 tag. If you have another question you can sure post it here. If you want to learn more about VGC you can sign up in the Tutoring program, If you are new and don't have a single idea where to go ask a mentor anything you want about Smogon.

On your sun team, I think you want Scrafty in case you want to set Sunny Day manually turn one. (since the weather got nerfed this gen and Drought only summon sun for 5 turns). Indeed is a good idea to let Ninetales to hold a Heat Rock that way Drought will be extended by 8 turns and in case you need to set Sunlight manually Ninetales will extend it too!

i just want to collect some opinions:

Do you think Ludicolo is still viable in VGC? I'm not sure if I should use one, since its biggest niche, countering rain teams, is gone in VGC 2014... But i tried it out in Showdown and it worked ok, but not very overwhelming. It's still nice with Fake Out but what do you guys think?

If the pokemon you are using to summon the Rain (being Drought of Rain Dance) is holding a Damp Rock you have 8 turns of Rain.

8 turns in VGC is actually a lot since half of your team is on the field at the same time. And the damage output of Ludicolo is incredible so in a few matches is probably that you won't need to summon rain more than once.

Also, imo, Ludicolo was like an all-out-attacker more than a Rain counter.

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 243-289 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kingdra outspeed in Rain and can kill you with Draco meteor, also Kingdra have a 4x resistance to water too.

If the pokemon you are using to summon the Rain (being Drought of Rain Dance) is holding a Damp Rock you have 8 turns of Rain.

8 turns in VGC is actually a lot since half of your team is on the field at the same time. And the damage output of Ludicolo is incredible so in a few matches is probably that you won't need to summon rain more than once.

Also, imo, Ludicolo was like an all-out-attacker more than a Rain counter.

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 243-289 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kingdra outspeed in Rain and can kill you with Draco meteor, also Kingdra have a 4x resistance to water too.
the point is, im not running a rain team and thought about ludicolo in general. He would add fake out + some strong special attacks, but I,m still not sure how he performs in 2014.

I kinda gave up on the sun steam and i'm starting from scratch. Was wondering how good is Krookodile on VGC14? There seem to be a lot of physical threats and i guess intimidate is always welcome against those.

Well, When you start building is always nice to a have a goal in mind. If your goal is to use Krookodile then you have to give him the right support since his weakness are pretty common, but again, if you really want to use him you are free to do so. The surprise element is always welcome in pokemon.

On the other hand if, as i got from your post, you want an intimidater, why don't you try with Gyarados? it Attack is higher as well as his defense (specially his Sp. Def.) have STAB priority and can mega-evolve reducing his electric weakness (although getting a few mores) and gaining a huge boost in Attack.

Again, you just need to see what you want to achieve with your team and sticking to that goal.

Last edited:
I kinda gave up on the sun steam and i'm starting from scratch. Was wondering how good is Krookodile on VGC14? There seem to be a lot of physical threats and i guess intimidate is always welcome against those.
Totally agreing with Sidfrid, maybe just to give you some suggestions:

Scrafty has intimidate + he adds some nice fake out and quick guard support

Salamence is still a very strong Poke with a very high Atk and also high SpAtk

Mawile can intimidate, Megaevolve and
start punching holes in the enemy team

Quirlfish (my personal favourite) he can spread paralyses with T-Wave and has a decent Stab in Waterfall (and he walls azumarill to oblivion)

Hope i could help you a bit ;-)

I hate that i have to ask this question, but are the VGC 2014 and XY Battle Spot Doubles the same when it comes to rules and battling?

No, VGC is Kalos Dex only while Battle Spot Doubles allows Pokebank+Non Kalos Dex pokes which you can obtain via friend safari (for example metagross or hitmontop).

The rule of thumb is always the blue pentagon. As long as your pokemon has this symbol in its summary, it is allowed in VGC. This makes it possible to run for example pokebank moves which are breedable or hidden abilities from pokebank. Simple example is ESpeed Dratini or Iron Fist Timburr.

EDIT:Maybe i should say as long as it has the blue pentagon + it is kalos dex, just to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
No, VGC is Kalos Dex only while Battle Spot Doubles allows Pokebank+Non Kalos Dex pokes which you can obtain via friend safari (for example metagross or hitmontop).

The rule of thumb is always the blue pentagon. As long as your pokemon has this symbol in its summary, it is allowed in VGC. This makes it possible to run for example pokebank moves which are breedable or hidden abilities from pokebank. Simple example is ESpeed Dratini or Iron Fist Timburr.

EDIT:Maybe i should say as long as it has the blue pentagon + it is kalos dex, just to avoid confusion.
OK so if I setup on the VGC 2014 on Showdown that would be the same as the PGL Season 2 that is going on now?

I guess I should have asked it like that first.

I was assuming the XY Battle Spot was the same as the PGL, but I guess that is listed as Special Battles on the PGL website.

I have never done any VGC tournaments before and the only PGL I did was last gen like 2 years ago, so going to attempt to get back into it.

OK so if I setup on the VGC 2014 on Showdown that would be the same as the PGL Season 2 that is going on now?

I guess I should have asked it like that first.

I was assuming the XY Battle Spot was the same as the PGL, but I guess that is listed as Special Battles on the PGL website.

I have never done any VGC tournaments before and the only PGL I did was last gen like 2 years ago, so going to attempt to get back into it.
Im not an expert about PGL so im sry... but if you want to play on a VGC tournament then showdown VGC 2014 is a nice place to improve you skills

Hello, I am just starting to get into competitive play and breeding. I have been MIA from the scene since Gen 1 and have a lot to catch up on @.@;;

My question: What dictates an 'egg move'? Is there a specific list of what can and cannot be passed between species? [

What would be a good EV spread for a DD gyarados with intimidate for VGC14? And is it a good idea??
Due to the fast paced that is VGC metagame (half of your team on the field, two opposing pokemons that can attack a same pokemon, etc) set up moves are quite rare, being the exception pokes that have good defensive typing, Scizor, or can be easily supported, volcarona supported by wide guard. About the spread, speed is key, so you need to know what speeds tier you want to hit (what you want to outspeed, and what will outspeed you) and go from there.

My question: What dictates an 'egg move'? Is there a specific list of what can and cannot be passed between species? [
Pal, you have a really long way to go. Anyway for that kind of data you can try some sites:
http://veekun.com/dex - Really complete pokedex, i mean, really complete
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page - Technically the same data but with more aesthetic.

Also, you may want to go this section first you answer your question:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_Moves

Due to the fast paced that is VGC metagame (half of your team on the field, two opposing pokemons that can attack a same pokemon, etc) set up moves are quite rare, being the exception pokes that have good defensive typing, Scizor, or can be easily supported, volcarona supported by wide guard. About the spread, speed is key, so you need to know what speeds tier you want to hit (what you want to outspeed, and what will outspeed you) and go from there.

Pal, you have a really long way to go. Anyway for that kind of data you can try some sites:
http://veekun.com/dex - Really complete pokedex, i mean, really complete
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page - Technically the same data but with more aesthetic.

Also, you may want to go this section first you answer your question:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_Moves
I had read the Bulbapedia egg move article several times but it didnt really answer the question. For some of the things I was looking for Bulbapedia seemed to be alittle incomplete, but that Veekun link is right on the money. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I have a question, where can i look up european VGC regionals? I'm from Germany and the only tournament i know so far is the german nationals in May (luckily in my area). But im sure there will be some Regionals, but Pokemon.com (or .de) shows only American VGC's, not even the german nationals...

Which are the better EV's for Amoonguss for my team?

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Regenerator
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Team:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Sand Veil
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Jolly
- Protect(?)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Rotom-H @ Chesto Berry
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Which are the better EV's for Amoonguss for my team?

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Regenerator
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Team:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Sand Veil
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Jolly
- Protect(?)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Rotom-H @ Chesto Berry
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
When you build a defensive pokemon you should keep in mind which moves it should survive, or which 2HKO should become 3HKO and so on. The 5th and 6th teamslot is also important to keep in mind. In this 4 Pokemoncore you have for example no intimidate support (and btw no mega-slot used) so you should probably focuse more on defense... i personally run a set like 200hp,120def180spdef. But you should really go on an simulator and look which attacks your team is weak to and which attacks you want amoongus to survive.
I would highly recommend you to run Rock Slide over poisen jab on your Garchomp, since its the skill which turns him into a nightmare for talonflame and megazard Y.
and you are not running a T-Tar so i would also suggest you to run Rough Skin over Sand Veil. And defenitly keep Protect.
The last point is, are you sure you want to run T-Wave over W-o-W? I mean you have no intimidate support, your rotom is specially defensive and with megamawiles and Megakhans running around everywhere, you should consider burn over para. (it's a very phisically focused metagame anyways). hope i could help you

i personally run a set like 200hp,120def180spdef. hope i could help you
What's the reason for that spread?
Regarding Garchomp, I was thinking of adding T-Tar & Togekiss, but then I have no Mega Stone user, unless I just put it on T-Tar.

Greninja, Garchomp, & Rotom-H are definites for this team. I did want to have something on the bulky/defensive side since I'm lacking that, which is why I wanted to put Amoonguss on the team, but I don't know if 252 EV's in Sp. D are worth it since I got that on my Rotom-H or what. I figured I'd also run a 252HP Togekiss for more bulk, plus special attack.

For my definite 3, I have a Physical & special attacker and a Special defender. What's best to add on if I add Amoonguss & T-Tar?

What's the reason for that spread?
Regarding Garchomp, I was thinking of adding T-Tar & Togekiss, but then I have no Mega Stone user, unless I just put it on T-Tar.

Greninja, Garchomp, & Rotom-H are definites for this team. I did want to have something on the bulky/defensive side since I'm lacking that, which is why I wanted to put Amoonguss on the team, but I don't know if 252 EV's in Sp. D are worth it since I got that on my Rotom-H or what. I figured I'd also run a 252HP Togekiss for more bulk, plus special attack.

For my definite 3, I have a Physical & special attacker and a Special defender. What's best to add on if I add Amoonguss & T-Tar?
First off all, Togekiss isn't legal in VGC 2014.

And if you add T-Tar as you Mega, Megamawile is going to rape your whole team.
You have also no forms of Quick Guard or Fakeout, which keeps you very weak against common opener strategies. (They are just going to fake-out + trick room, and after that your only hope is spaming spore with amoongus).
Also, Dark Void Smeargle will put everything on your side to sleep....

But back to your question, this amoongus spread turned out to be the best one for my team, since it turns most 2HKOs in 3HKOs (in combination with sitrus berrys plus intimidate support)
But as i said it depends on the team.

And if you want to go more indept in form or your team analysis, this post should go to the "Rate my Team" Thread.

Just as a side note, i would run meowstic-m and mawile as addiotion to your team. Meowstic give fake out, quick guard + safeguard swagger or t-wave support and mawile adds intimidate plus your megaslot and is just an awesome attacker (it even beats my beloved Conkeldurr in terms of Atk)

Just as a side note, i would run meowstic-m and mawile as addiotion to your team. Meowstic give fake out, quick guard + safeguard swagger or t-wave support and mawile adds intimidate plus your megaslot and is just an awesome attacker (it even beats my beloved Conkeldurr in terms of Atk)
So something like this would benefit greatly?:

Meowstic (M) @ Leftovers
Prankster
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SDef
Bold
- Fake Out
- Safeguard
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger

Mawile @ Mega Stone
Intimidate -> Huge Power
Currently Unnamed
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sdef
Adamant
- Rough Play
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunderpunch

I have a question regarding Eject Button.

If I use Wide Guard with a Pokemon that holds an Eject Button, and the Pokemon is switched out before my second Pokemon uses it's spread move, will Wide Guard still protect the Pokemon that was switched in? Because it did when I played on Showdown, but im not sure if it works that way on the cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)