Pokémon Mew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex #: 151
Typ: Psychic
Ability: Synchronize (Passes poison, paralyze, or burn to the Pokémon that inflicted it.)

Stats:

HP: 100
Atk: 100
Def: 100
SpA: 100
SpD: 100
Spe: 100

Notable Moves:

All TMs/HMs http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TMs#List_of_TMs
All Tutor Moves besides exclusives like Draco Meteor http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Move_Tutor#Generation_III_Move_Tutors
Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Barrier
Transform
Baton Pass
Agility
Amnesia

After 4 Generations in Ubers, Mew stayed the rest of the 5th Generation in the UU Tier. Being outclassed by almost everything it can do, having a stat distribution of many other more usable psychic typs and psychic typ overall being easy pursuit trapped didn't help it either.

So what changed that it can be considered to be used in XY OU?

First off, thanks to the special move hidden power nerf, Mew became slightly bulkier on the special side is one of few Pokemon that runs around with the best covarage moves in the game (aside Water+Dry Freeze) and while it didn't learn anything new per LV-Up nor are the new TM Moves interesting, some of its old moves got boosted this Generation:

Defog http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/defog.3490309/
Knock-Off http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/knock-off.3490405/

Potencial Moveset

Defogger
Mew@Leftovers
Nature: Bold or Timid
Ability: Synchronize
Evs: 252 HP, 148 Def, 108 Spe (Bold)
or 252 HP, 108 Def, 148 Spe (Bold)
or 252 HP, 152 SpD, 104 Spe (Timid)
  • Defog
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Taunt/Magic Coat
  • Roost/Soft-Boiled
Mew proves to be a very useful Defogger, being one of few users who doesn't take much damage from Stealth Rocks. With Will-O-Wisp, it can cripple physical attackers being able Tank physical attacks much better. In addition, it can lower the damage of common moves that it is weak to like Pursuit or Sucker Punch. Taunt can shut down other status users who are usually slower than Mew. Magic Coat is a good alternative, but usually the inferior Move because it depence too much on what the opposing Pokemon can or will do.

The last move is to recover up in order to continue supporting the team.

Heal Bell
Mew@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Evs: 252 HP, 148 Def, 108 Spe
or 252 HP, 108 Def, 148 Spe
  • Defog
  • Heal Bell
  • Stealth Rock/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Hypnosis (XD-Exclusive Move)/Ice Beam
  • Roost/Soft-Boiled
The ability to fullfill multiple tasks allows Mew to not only clean the field of hazards, but to service as a potencial Heal Beller. This moveset can although abuse Mew's ability to pass status, whenever you feel like switching it into Jellicent's Scald for the „30 %“ Burn chance.

The third move depence on what you want to do with Mew. Even with Defog being able to remove your own hazards, you can use Stealth Rock whenever your oppenent's Stealth Rocker is gone. Mew doesn't mind to remove them, since it can put them back in the very next turn, if it wants too. Taunt would be a good alternative to shut down things like Blissey or Will-O-Wisp to cripple Physical Attackers. Hypnosis is there as a good alternative thanks to Defog lowering evasion of opposing Pokemon. If you don't want to be a taunt bait, you should consider using Ice Beam instead of the other 4 moves for the third slot.

The 4th move is your reliable recovery.

No Item for you, no hazards for you
Mew@Leftovers
Nature: Impish/Bold or Timid/Jolly
Evs: 252 HP, 108 Def, 148 Spe (Impish/Bold)
or 252 HP, 152 SpD, 104 Spe (Timid/Jolly)
  • Defog
  • Knock-Off
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Roost/Soft-Boiled
With the new boost in Knock-Off, Mew can not only make opposing Pokemon's Items useless but all of them, who have an item, will suffer a lot of damage:

0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 190-224 (72.5 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

This set will rely on Will-O-Wisp to weaken the power of foul play users. The last move will be your recovery of choice. Without Defog, you might as well use something else.

Other notable Movesets (posted by AOPSUser)

Baton Pass (Quick)
Mew@Mental Herb/Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
-Baton Pass
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot/Swords Dance
-Taunt/Substitute

Baton Pass (Full)

-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Amnesia/Iron Defense/Bulk Up/Calm Mind
-Taunt/Dazzling Gleam/Ice Beam

Nasty Plot
Mew@Leftovers/Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Psyshock
-Aura Sphere
-Fire Blast/Dark Pulse/Baton Pass

non-Defog support
Mew@Leftovers
Alternate spread: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe, Bold nature
Alternate spread: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe, Timid nature
-Taunt
-Soft-Boiled
-Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rock/Psychic/Ice Beam/Fire Blast

Lead
Mew@Normal Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Explosion
-Will-O-Wisp

Double Dance
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball/Psyshock

What are your thoughts on Mew?

Last edited:
Hmm, still not too sure about Mew. The 2 new moves you listed that will give it more viability thanks to their boost is Defog and Knock Off, which are pretty well distributed anyway. A very prominent user of both of them already this gen is Mandibuzz, who got a few other buffs and things to brag about which Mew really can't.

I'm just not seeing it being much better, in fact it is even perhaps a bit worse now that Dark and Ghost are running rampant with the Steel nerf. And there is generally something better in OU at least.

Hmm, still not too sure about Mew. The 2 new moves you listed that will give it more viability thanks to their boost is Defog and Knock Off, which are pretty well distributed anyway. A very prominent user of both of them already this gen is Mandibuzz, who got a few other buffs and things to brag about which Mew really can't.

I'm just not seeing it being much better, in fact it is even perhaps a bit worse now that Dark and Ghost are running rampant with the Steel nerf. And there is generally something better in OU at least.
I agree. Especially since this gen has things like talonflame, aegislash, greninja that can easily outspeed and kill mew while being unable to KO mandibuzz

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can only see this as an UU Mandibuzz. Mew doesn't really have much of a place in OU anymore, especially not with all the U-Turn and Knock Off carriers. This gen has been very bad for Psychic-Types, and Mew is no exception.

Last edited:
I actually really like mew a lot this Gen.

Edit: Sorry about posting prematurely. While mandibuzz generally is a better defogger, mew does have quite a few advantages. First off, mew isn't weak to stealth rock. While mew is grounded and susceptible to spikes and web, mew does have the added advantage of more easily switching into the most common hazard in the game. This allows mew to take certain hits a little better than mandibuzz. However, the main niche mew has is the added offensive pressure. Things like bisharp have absolutely no business switching into mew for fear of aura sphere or status. With mews huge move pool, it can generally beat the dreaded deo sharp combo.

Last edited:
First off, thanks to the special move nerf, Mew became slightly bulkier on the special side
So did every other Pokemon that isn't weak to Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc.

And note that Hypnosis works with Defog with that being the opponent's evasiveness is lowered, effectively increasing the accuracy of Hypnosis.

So did every other Pokemon that isn't weak to Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc.

And note that Hypnosis works with Defog with that being the opponent's evasiveness is lowered, effectively increasing the accuracy of Hypnosis.
I will correct that.

As much as I love Mew, its main niche will probably be Baton Passing stuff, as always. Who knows what? Only the Mew user.

You're usually going to want to have at least some speed investment in mew. That base 100 speed is one of mew's best assets and you should take advantage of that, generally the most popular speed benchmarks for him are 108 speed with a neutral nature to outspend jolly breloom/bisharp or adamant mamaswine/gyradose to taunt/burn them before they can setup. Bumping it up to 104 speed with a timid nature is nice for jolly gyra and to stop almost all popular rotom variants from healing and you can go to max speed to burn/fire blast scarf less genesects.

Mew is easily one of the best defoggers in this generation and is criminally underrated atm. His combination of will-o-wisp and his speed stat are a huge part of why he's so good imo. Taunt/wow/recovery beats pretty much any non-heatran stealth rocker(and most physical attackers for that matter) one on one and he can can get rid of any hazards they may have set up. Will-o-wisp also means that unlike other popular supporting psychics mew is extremely difficult to pursuit trap with tyranitar/scizor. Mew is also one of the very few defoggers that give bisharp a lot of trouble, because bisharp is either getting crippled for the game or taking massive damage form a coverage move.

It's kinda odd that people keep insisting on comparing him to things like mandibuzz/skarmory/latias, outside of being bulky and having defog mew has very little in common with them, and they have very little in common with mew. Sure mandibuzz is better at taking on ghost types and has a better typing in general, but mandibuzz also has weaknesses mew doesn't and doesn't have will-o-wisp,stealth rock, base 100 speed, u-turn, heal bell, explosion, baton pass, nasty plot, strongish fire/fighting/psychic/ice/electric/whatever moves, magic coat, screens, reflect type, a fighting resistance plus a boat load of goofy options that I wouldn't put on a defog set. Mew isn't outclassed at all by anything and really shouldn't be compared to other pokemon because ,frankly, he's in none of their classes and has his own unique niche of what he can do. Mew can defog AND can be built to provide any other sort of support your team needs. If you can get past his high learning curve, he's well wroth the team slot on many OU teams. I mean he was ranked B+ in last gen's viability list for a reason and that was without arguably the single most effective form of hazard removal in the game.

Am I the only one using offensive Mews? I've had great success with two sets using Rock Polish and Nasty Plot.
Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
Yeah, I know, Charge Beam is weak and unreliable, but its power isn't horrible and it is Mew's only way of boosting its Special Attack without direct boosting and has near-perfect coverage when paired with Ice Beam. Fire Blast is there to take care of wandering Steel types and others like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Aegislash, Lucario, Genesect, Mawile and Scizor in OU and Foretress, Mega Aggron, Heracross, Metagross and others in UU.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
This set can start wrecking things earlier than the first set and still has pretty good speed. Shadow Ball + Dazzling Gleam is perfect coverage and Earth Power complements Fairy type quite well by hitting Poison, Steel and Fire types for super-effective damage.

Mew hasn't disappointed me yet and is even more monstrous with hazards support. It can do much more than Baton Passing and Defogging and will usually succeed with whatever it needs to do. The virtually unlimited number of sets it can run makes it very unpredictable: you never now whether it will sweep, set up or support.

Kinda disappointed with how this gen treats Psychic pokes as Mew is a HELLA good defogger. Been running a WoW/U-Turn/Defog/Softboiled set to decent success (psychic is just a terrible defensive typing now :/.) The ability to burn Ttar and get out though is a blessing for a Psychic tpye.

These should probably be the sets:

Defog:
Mew@Leftovers
-Defog
-Soft-Boiled
-Will-O-Wisp
-Taunt/Stealth Rock

The EVs there maximize physical defense while still having enough Speed to outspeed either Jolly Bisharp, Timid Smeargle, or Jolly Gyarados, whichever one you are concerned about. Will-O-Wisp is there to discourage Bisharp from trying to come in, as well as cripple Tyranitar and Scizor.

Defog+Heal Bell:
Mew@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Defog
-Soft-Boiled
-Heal Bell
-Taunt/Will-O-Wisp

Straightforward EVs unless you feel like outspeeding Timid Smeargle.

Defog+Knock Off
Mew@Leftovers
-Defog
-Soft-Boiled
-Knock Off
-Will-O-Wisp

No point in outspeeding Smeargle, so go Jolly Gyarados or Jolly Bisharp. Blah, blah, blah.

Baton Pass (Quick)
-Baton Pass
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot/Swords Dance
-Taunt/Substitute

Baton Pass (Full)
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Amnesia/Iron Defense/Bulk Up/Calm Mind
-Taunt/Dazzling Gleam/Ice Beam

Shame on you for forgetting these. These two sets basically defined Baton Pass last gen, along with Smeargle, Espeon, and Mr. Mime. Runs enough Speed to outspeed Scarf Latios with +2 Speed, rest in physical bulk. Dazzling Gleam or Ice Beam are used to kill Prankster Taunters. Dazzling Gleam is preferred because most Tornadus-I and Thundurus-I do not run Taunt, but both will maul all Pranksters after a couple Special Attack boosts.

Nasty Plot
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Psyshock
-Aura Sphere
-Fire Blast/Dark Pulse/Baton Pass

Well, it's not as uncounterable as it was last gen, because Togekiss and Sylveon can wall it and paralyze it even at +2, but the upside is that with the Steel nerf Jirachi no longer checks you at all! The only downside is the speed, but Mew is pretty darn bulky to make up for it. An uninvested Tyranitar Crunch fails to OHKO this set, for example.

non-Defog support
Mew@Leftovers
-Taunt
-Soft-Boiled
-Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rock/Psychic/Ice Beam/Fire Blast

If you don't feel like running Defog on Mew, because you prefer Rapid Spin or run full hazards yourself, this is what you can do. EVs explained further up, it's main role is to just Taunt everything.

Lead
Mew@Normal Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Explosion
-Will-O-Wisp

Even with the Normal Gem nerf, this thing hits pretty darn hard. But, the problem is that leads...don't really exist anymore. It does offer a lot more bulk, and Will-O-Wisp, over Azelf, which is nice.

Double Dance
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball/Psyshock

Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball are together perfect coverage, though it is quite hard to pull off two Nasty Plots to get this set to work like it's supposed to. Psyshock can be used, but leaves you walled by Psychics. EVs outspeed everything after a Rock Polish, 252 Modest, rest in HP. Get a Rock Polish, then a Nasty Plot or two, and go ahead and wreck everything. Theoretically. In practice, maybe not.

There's a crapton of more niche sets and the like, but these should all be in the OP right now.

I didn't forget to mention a Baton Pass set or any other possible set, but choice not to. Baton Passing Mew was already mentioned in the Baton Pass Thread and I felt like it would be better to add only the defog sets because it is something new mew is able to pull off this generation.
I will change the EV spreads to match those you mentioned.

I think the key to using Mew is, and always has been, it's unpredictability. Sure, it may not be the fastest or most powerful threat and yeah, there's usually something else that can pull off a particular set better than Mew can, but due to the sheer number of moves in it's arsenal it is impossible to know what it's going to do until you've seen some or all of it's moveset.

There's no other mon with as many options as Mew apart from Smeargle, except Mew isn't balls. Great for those of you that like to be a bit creative with your sets, or you need some rather specific role filled on your team that only Mew can do. Quite underrated and overlooked IMO, but at the same time I can't see it making OU.

I agree that there is little reason for Mew to be promoted this gen. Defog is cool but I hate removing my own entry hazards, Knock off is, as you said, well distributed. One set I have used with (some) success is as a surprise final receiver in a baton pass chain. If you pair it with espeon, you can potentially deceive an opponent, and take advantage of Mew's almost limitless coverage. A bolt/beam combo with psyshock and taunt/magic coat is the set I use. Aura sphere can be used over psyshock for Heatran in OU, or Steelix in UU.

If you use Infestation and then Baton Pass does the opponent continue to be trapped? I was thinking of a set using Infestation, then using a status move like WoW or Hypnosis and then passing to a counter. You could even try passing a stat boost with your fourth move. Something like:

Mew@Leftovers/LumBerry/GripClaw
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Infestation
-WoW / Hypnosis / Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Substitute / Rock Polish / Nasty Plot

Any thoughts? Not too sure on the EV spread.

Mew seems generally outclassed in nearly every set he can run by a pokemon who either can do it much better or a pokemon with a much better typing.
Mew tries to be good at everything but literally has his sets stretched too far, offensive is easily outclassed by Deoxys-S who has less attacking stats but a much higher speed to play the role much better
Baton Pass is outclassed by smeargle due to the wider moveset and better options to run setup (most noticeably shell smash)
As someone stated before the Defog + Knock Off is outclassed in every way by mandibuzz
It also cant really run defense as most attackers carry a dark/ghost move now because of the steel nerf
Dual Screens is outclassed by the priority master klefki
Mew seems outclassed by everything in the OU tier so at best I see it being UU where his shenanigans can run wild

Mew seems generally outclassed in nearly every set he can run by a pokemon who either can do it much better or a pokemon with a much better typing.
Mew tries to be good at everything but literally has his sets stretched too far, offensive is easily outclassed by Deoxys-S who has less attacking stats but a much higher speed to play the role much better
Baton Pass is outclassed by smeargle due to the wider moveset and better options to run setup (most noticeably shell smash)
As someone stated before the Defog + Knock Off is outclassed in every way by mandibuzz
It also cant really run defense as most attackers carry a dark/ghost move now because of the steel nerf
Dual Screens is outclassed by the priority master klefki
Mew seems outclassed by everything in the OU tier so at best I see it being UU where his shenanigans can run wild
Mew is kinda like the Jack of all trades, master of none. As you said it finds itself hard to distinguish itself from other mons who do its jobs better. However, there is something to be said of having as many options as it does, and it has a small niche in OU, just because it can fit incredibly specific holes.

That's basically its advantage. It's got versatility and it can fill multiple roles at once. It also has surprise factor depending on which set you're running, which can be a very useful thing.
But each Mew set will struggle with Pursuit, U-Turn and Knock Off which is everywhere. Only thing that could help is Will-o-miss

I tried using Mew as a U-turning Defogger but it just couldn't do enough. Wasn't worth the spot in the end

Pursuit's a lot rarer in Gen 6 OU compared to Gen 5, and Genesect's just been banned to ubers. Mew's not too bad at the moment.
You are proberly right as I was using it before the Gene ban. But it still has to deal with Knok Off which is everywhere, Dark and Fairy types as well. What type of set are you using Mew for?

With the Baton Pass set, the first one, I run off some of that HP ev to Defense, knock off is certainly everywhere, and with no moves to strike back, (well that's up to you in all honesty) I feel surviving one enough to either BP it or live to fight another day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)