2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
i'm usually very bitter towards players of teams i support getting traded. for instance last year my toronto blue jays traded 2 of our top prospects and i still do this day am hoping their careers bomb. with that said i sincerely wish mata the best and hope man utd make top 4. he was the quintessential example of a classy player on and off the pitch and i'm hoping he wins the player of the year award this year too!

with the fluff out of the way i still don't get this transfer. if you're going to trade mata, send him to another league ffs. transferring players to your direct competition has NEVER made sense to me, it's the reason why in north american sports teams always trade their star players to teams OUTSIDE of their division. and please don't tell me mourinho is some calculating genius because he's already played man u twice and is doing this with the sole purpose of having man u steal points away from arsenal, city, liverpool. this is extremely short sighted, i swear it's as if people think we'll never have to play man utd ourselves down the line.
That was the plan, but Mata refused to join Atletico or PSG both of whom were interested in him. He chose to go to Manchester United which, as a player in his position, was the right decision. He wasn't going to get to play if he stayed which would've probably cost him his place in Spain's world cup squad and he chose to stay in the most competitive league in the world rather than go to Spain or France.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That was the plan, but Mata refused to join Atletico or PSG both of whom were interested in him. He chose to go to Manchester United which, as a player in his position, was the right decision. He wasn't going to get to play if he stayed which would've probably cost him his place in Spain's world cup squad and he chose to stay in the most competitive league in the world rather than go to Spain or France.
i have read A LOT of shit online about the mata transfer saga and not once have i seen anything about him rejecting atletico or psg

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
^ Since United were offering the most for his signature and keeping Financial Fair Play in mind, it was either that or keeping him on the bench, frustrated for the rest of the season which they decided against doing out of respect for him. Mourinho doesn't see them as title contenders and rightly so and with Chelsea having played them twice in this season already, he didn't think that it was, in any way, a bad deal. I think, in the back of his mind, Mourinho thinks or hopes that this will also boost the club's chances of acquiring Rooney.

Christmas Tree formation?

De Gea;
Rafael, Evans, Jones, Evra;
Fletcher, Carrick, Fellaini;
Rooney, Mata;
Van Persie

Full backs provide width, Roon and Mata drift, and the middle three keep it tight... Looks very nice to me!

should have been up by 5 or six goals by the end of the game. Matic looked good as well as the whole team. Well Schurrle kind of pissed me off by continually coming inside and doing nothing on the ball.
Oh and Oscar's free kick was world class.

After 20 or so minutes I find out we have to play City @ the etihad about a week after we play them in the league. Really looking forward to it.

Oh and Arsenal vs Liverpool.

Let's hope that this time at the emirates the referee doesn't disallow a perfectly legit goal like Martin atkinson did when Henderson had the ball in the net

#neverforget

Yep. It's going to be a wild few months. Reeeeeeeally hope we have the stamina and composure to just take it one game at a time and get the league title. Fuck the CL. Seriously, play our second squad.

Christmas Tree formation?

De Gea;
Rafael, Evans, Jones, Evra;
Fletcher, Carrick, Fellaini;
Rooney, Mata;
Van Persie

Full backs provide width, Roon and Mata drift, and the middle three keep it tight... Looks very nice to me!
What? Mata and Rooney play very different positions. I'm a chelsea fan and in the season where mata had lots of success (the villa boas season) he was playing CAM. I'm pretty sure that is far and away where he plays best. I really like the third and fourth formations on this page: http://soccerlens.com/manchester-uniteds-tactical-plans-juan-mata/125473/ Which basically are 4-4-2 diamond and 4-2-3-1

I don't think rooney will be happy at all if a 1 striker formation happens, and I think man utd has just the players to abuse 4-4-2 diamond with carrick, valencia, januzaj and mata in CAM.

EDIT: I'm in a FPL league with my friends at the moment. Can I join your league now (can I even do that?) and what it it called.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thoughts on 3-5-2?
de gea
smalling-jones-vidic
rafael(he can probably play midfield, right?)-carrick-fellaini-januzaj
mata
van persie-rooney

Kroos is doing what Dante was doing which is to gain an upper hand in the negotiation over a new deal.
Reports suggest that he wants about 140-150k a week.

I have a feeling that Moyes will stick with the 4231 and make mata tuck in from the right.

Fish: The problem with 4-4-2 diamond is you either have 1 central midfielder essentially (so playing purely on the counter) or you're very narrow if you tuck your diamond in tight and it looks like an insanely narrow 4-3-3. 4-2-3-1 is a problem precisely because where does Mata play? On the wing? That's where you said you don't like to see him. The big dilema for Moyes now is he's got Van Persie, Rooney and Mata and really only 2 positions to fill if he wants to keep a sensible looking formation. Christmas Tree formation was just a bit of fun, but I think it makes some sense because it gives both Rooney and Mata freedom which they seem to perform best with and still keeps a tight 3 in midfield but it is an insanely narrow 4-3-3 lol!

Also murmurings that Cabaye to PSG is pretty much done... I'll be sad to see him go!

Fish: The problem with 4-4-2 diamond is you either have 1 central midfielder essentially (so playing purely on the counter) or you're very narrow if you tuck your diamond in tight and it looks like an insanely narrow 4-3-3. 4-2-3-1 is a problem precisely because where does Mata play? On the wing? That's where you said you don't like to see him. The big dilema for Moyes now is he's got Van Persie, Rooney and Mata and really only 2 positions to fill if he wants to keep a sensible looking formation. Christmas Tree formation was just a bit of fun, but I think it makes some sense because it gives both Rooney and Mata freedom which they seem to perform best with and still keeps a tight 3 in midfield but it is an insanely narrow 4-3-3 lol!

Also murmurings that Cabaye to PSG is pretty much done... I'll be sad to see him go!
Well I don't know man u's team really well but why can't mata play CAM? Do you guys think rooney will be playing CAM? imo rooney should be playing beside RVP or switching with him. Yeah I'm very sad to see cabaye gone too he was a great player :( And I kinda hate PSG too. I'm gonna be much less proud of using that yohan cabaye username I got on showdown ;(

Also is there a good chance of cavani coming to the premier league? Apparently Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all interested... Who do you think will get him?

He is rumoured to be unsettled because of playing out of position.
Yes I know but is a move really likely? I guess we'll find out in the next 3 days. :) Would be nice at Chelsea as atm our strikers are really under performing, but seriously if we have ba, torres, lukaku and cavani, that's bloody excessive.

Oh yeah and is there a smogon league for fpl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)