Azumarill

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
The contents of this post have been blessed by PK Gaming®. All rights reserved.

First of all, great preview!

Secondly, I feel Bellyzurill is currently too slow, as it misses out on CB Scizor and Skarmory. The former can Bullet Punch before Azumarill Aqua Jets and the latter can Brave Bird before Azumarill uses Waterfall. As a result, I think the suggested spread should be 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe, which is just enough for min Speed Skarmory.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The contents of this post have been blessed by PK Gaming®. All rights reserved.

First of all, great preview!

Secondly, I feel Bellyzurill is currently too slow, as it misses out on CB Scizor and Skarmory. The former can Bullet Punch before Azumarill Aqua Jets and the latter can Brave Bird before Azumarill uses Waterfall. As a result, I think the suggested spread should be 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe, which is just enough for min Speed Skarmory.
Done!

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay this is finally ready for its last QC check. I'm sorry if this took a while, but I just wanted to test AV Azumarill as much as possible before I wrote it up.

The attack stat after Belly drum is higher than that. 1,308 doesn't factor in Huge Power, right? With Huge Power, shouldn't it be equivalent to 1,744?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There is no Grass-type that I'm aware of in OU that isn't hit harder by either Play Rough or Knock Off. Roserade and Amoonguss are all I can really come up with, and I dont think those two warrant a slot on something like Azumarill. Only use I can see in Ice Punch is for Gliscor and Landorus, who are hit hard enough with Waterfall anyway, so I'd either remove the mention of Ice Punch altogether or mention it in a way that brings these issues to light.

Other than that looks good

3/3

Gary

There is no Grass-type that I'm aware of in OU that isn't hit harder by either Play Rough or Knock Off. Roserade and Amoonguss are all I can really come up with, and I dont think those two warrant a slot on something like Azumarill. Only use I can see in Ice Punch is for Gliscor and Landorus, who are hit hard enough with Waterfall anyway, so I'd either remove the mention of Ice Punch altogether or mention it in a way that brings these issues to light.

Other than that looks good

3/3
I just removed the mentions of Ice Punch altogether. It's terrible, and I meant to remove it from the analysis a while ago anyway once I learned that it could use Knock Off. Thanks for the check man.

Amateur Check here

Additions
Removals
(Comments)

Just a couple of things - when writing about Thundurus you don't need the -I after it, I don't think (but I'm not 100% certain) Mega Charizard Y needs a hyphen between "Charizard" and "Y", and it's spelled Venusaur not Venasaur. Other than those, there were only a few things to change (some subject-verb agreements and punctuation stuff). Very solid analysis!

Overview
########

Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in the OU metagame. Gifted with an amazing ability in the form of Huge Power, (AC) which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy-typing (hyphen is unnecessary here), which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, and also a useful immunity to the Dragon typing, (AC) among a few other resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily Azumarill has access to priority Aqua Jet and solid 100/80/80 defenses to help offset its abyssal (okay this is going to sound really nitpicky but I feel that abysmal is better used here as abyssal has a slightly different definition) Speed stat a bit. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top tier threat that every team needs to prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Waterfall
ability: Huge Power
item: Choice Band
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB Fairy-type move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon that would normally wall Azumarill otherwise, and it provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, who resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, who can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that Azumarill can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's a terrible move to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature gives this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave. Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in bulk as possible to tank take advantage of its above average bulk, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, (AC) Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp, 92 Speed EVs are for Tyranitar, and 124 for Choice Banded Scizor. If you would prefer Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for the ability to switch between moves and bluff the Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and the ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponents defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery it can be worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you can open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is Mixed Thundurus-I, because it not only lures Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it also deals with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the amount of pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins with Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus-I, Heatran also appreciates the lack of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. The latter two can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to the Drizzle ability, Politoed can heavily buff Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wall breaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive type synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Dark-, Ice-, Bug-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Waterfall / Superpower
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO a majority of the metagame with just Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the crux of this set, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed it and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a back up Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, who which can live an Aqua Jet and threatens to phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Banded Scizor who can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature, (AC) Azumarill can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them it with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down so quickly by residual damage or faster users of priority. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as the Sitrus Berry once its sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free set up opportunities against Pokemon such as Jellicent and Blissey that carry status inducing moves, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to tear apart teams once its few checks and counters are gone, so it is important not to sweep before they are removed or else it can be cut short. It's best to set up on Dragon-types locked into a move, such as Choice Banded Dragonite or Choice Scarf Salamence. Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it can successfully set up on weaker Bug-, Dark-, Water-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks. Because Azumarill forces a lot of switches, it finds many opportunities to set up on predicted switches. It's very important to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible before it sets up, because once its HP reaches below 50%, it's no longer possible for it to use Belly Drum.

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely walls Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill safe switch-in opportunities with U-turn. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with Kings Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOs most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks, and set up Stealth Rock in their faces.

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 3: Power-Up Punch
move 4: Knock Off / Waterfall
item: Assault Vest
evs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef

Moves
========

Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Banded set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk with Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Banded set, is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves and limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can screw around with its common switch-ins and remove their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but than it loses out on valuable utility. Ice Punch is also an option for hitting Grass-types harder than Play Rough, but most of the common Grass-types in OU are hit super effectively by Knock Off.

Set Details
========

With the given EVs, Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given special defense investment, its special defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing for it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its set are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard-Y (remove hyphen), and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before such as Thundurus for example, who does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its is KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill is best fit on more offensive teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is easily able to switch into common special attackers that threaten offensive teams such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to every entry hazard can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard-Y (remove hyphen) can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switch initiative thanks to U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and it can fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for the job as it is able to remove hazards with Defog, while also having useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Banded set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to all entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but then it misses out on the extra coverage move or reliable Water-type STAB. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and(space)loses out on the ability to flinch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and threatens to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well because of King's Shield which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up a Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat is lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to its Water-type STAB and can threaten to burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack.(space)RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and can phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also no longer weak to Ice Punch due to its Thick Fat ability, nor can its item cannot be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of the stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough; (change semicolon to comma) while the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt, while Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

Last edited:

Gary

Amateur Check here

Additions
Removals
(Comments)

Just a couple of things - when writing about Thundurus you don't need the -I after it, I don't think (but I'm not 100% certain) Mega Charizard Y needs a hyphen between "Charizard" and "Y", and it's spelled Venusaur not Venasaur. Other than those, there were only a few things to change (some subject-verb agreements and punctuation stuff). Very solid analysis!
Solid check man. Implemented. Thanks!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gary2346

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in the OU metagame. Gifted with an amazing ability in the form of Huge Power, which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy typing, which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, and also a useful immunity to the Dragon typing, among a few other resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily Azumarill has access to priority Aqua Jet and solid 100 / 80 / 80 defenses to help offset its abysmal Speed stat a bit. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top-tier threat that every team needs to prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB Fairy-type move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon that would normally wall Azumarill otherwise, and it provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, who which resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, who which can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that Azumarill can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's not the best move to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature gives this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave. I'm not so sure this is the best wording. Azumarill would rather be paralyzed than burned, for example. It's not entirely crippled Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in bulk as possible to take advantage of its above-average bulk, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp, 92 Speed EVs are for Tyranitar, and 124 for Choice Banded Scizor. If you would prefer Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for the ability to switch between moves and bluff the Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and the ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponent's defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery it can be worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you can open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is Mixed Thundurus-I, because it not only lures Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it also deals with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the amount of pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins with Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus, Heatran also appreciates the lack of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. The latter two can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to the Drizzle ability, Politoed can heavily buff Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wallbreaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive type synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Ice-, Bug-, Dragon-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO a majority of the metagame with just Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the most important attack crux of this set, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed it and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a backup Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, which can live an Aqua Jet and threatens to phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Banded Scizor, which who can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, Azumarill with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature, (RC) Azumarill can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down so quickly by residual damage or faster users of priority. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as the Sitrus Berry once Azumarill its sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free setup opportunities against Pokemon such as Jellicent and Blissey that carry status-inducing or just say "status moves" moves, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to tear apart teams once its few checks and counters are gone, so it is important not to sweep before they are removed or else it can be cut short. It's best to set up on Dragon-types locked into a move, such as Choice Banded Dragonite or Choice Scarf Salamence. Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it can successfully set up on weaker Bug-, Dark-, Water-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks. Because Azumarill forces a lot of switches, it finds many opportunities to set up on predicted switches. It's very important to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible before it sets up, because once its HP reaches below 50%, it's no longer possible for it to use Belly Drum.

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely walls sponges Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill safe switch-in opportunities with U-turn. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with King's Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOes most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks, and set up Stealth Rock in their user's faces.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========
Perhaps an intro statement?
Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Banded set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk with Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Banded set, (RC) is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves and limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can screw around with its common switch-ins and remove their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but than it loses out on valuable utility.

Set Details
========

With the given EVs, Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given special defense investment, its Special Defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing for it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its set are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before, (AC) such as Thundurus, who which does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill is best fit on more offensive teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is easily able to switch into common special attackers that threaten offensive teams, (AC) such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to every entry hazard can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switch initiative thanks to U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and it can fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth Is tangrowth common? I've not really played but I can't recall it being significant. Perhaps Celebi is a better choice? with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, (RC) while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for removing them the job as it is able to remove hazards with Defog, while and also having has useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Banded set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to all entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but then it misses out on the extra coverage move or reliable Water-type STAB. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and loses out on the ability to flinch. Mention key things Aqua Tail KOes or say "Aqua Tail looks tempting but doesn't score anything significant" or something.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and threatens to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well because of King's Shield, (AC) which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up a Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat is lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to its Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can threaten to a burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack. RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and can phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also no longer weak to Ice Punch due to its Thick Fat ability, nor can its item be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of the a stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough, while and the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt; (SC) while Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

As always, great work!

1/2

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Amateur GP check

Remove Change Comments

OU TRAIN!!!

Overview
########
Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in the OU metagame. Gifted with an amazing ability in the form of Huge Power, which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy typing, which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, and also along with a useful immunity to the Dragon typing, among a few other resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily Azumarill has access to priority Aqua Jet and solid 100/80/80 defenses to help offset its abysmal Speed stat a bit. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top tier threat that every team needs to prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB Fairy-type move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon that would normally wall Azumarill otherwise, and it provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, who resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a
much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, who can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have
too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that Azumarill can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's not the best move to be locked into.
Mention trevenant gets destroyed by knock off as well.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature gives this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave. Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in
bulk HP as possible to take advantage of its above average bulk, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp, 92 Speed EVs are for Tyranitar, and 124 for Choice Banded Scizor. If you would prefer Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for the ability to switch between moves and bluff the Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and the ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponents defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery it
can be is worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you can open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is Mixed Thundurus-I, because it not only lures Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it also deals with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the amount of pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins with Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus, Heatran also appreciates the lack of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. The latter two can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to the Drizzle ability, Politoed can heavily buff Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wall breaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive type synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Ice-, Bug-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO a majority of the metagame with just Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the crux of this set, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed it and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a back up Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, which can live an Aqua Jet and threatens to phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Banded Scizor who can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature, Azumarill can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down
so quickly by residual damage or faster users of priority. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as the Sitrus Berry once its sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free set up opportunities against Pokemon such as Jellicent and Blissey that carry status inducing moves, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to tear apart teams once its few checks and counters are gone, so it is important not to sweep before they are removed or else it can be cut short. It's best to set up on Dragon-types locked into a move, such as Choice Banded Dragonite
or Choice Scarf Salamence. Talk about choice locked lati twins, they're more relevant. Scarfmence isn't good. Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it can successfully set up on weaker Bug-, Dark-, Water-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks. Because Azumarill forces a lot of switches, it finds many opportunities to set up on predicted switches. It's very important to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible before it sets up, because once its HP reaches below 50%, it's no longer possible for it to use Belly Drum.

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely walls Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill safe switch-in opportunities with U-turn. Scizor also handles Kyu-B. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with Kings Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOs most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks, and set up Stealth Rock in their faces.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Banded set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk with Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Banded set, is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves and limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can
screw around with annoy (or cripple) its common switch-ins and remove their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but than then it loses out on valuable utility.

Set Details
========

With the given EVs, Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given special defense investment, its special defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing
for it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its set
s are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before such as Thundurus, who does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill is best fit on more offensive teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is easily able to switch into common special attackers that threaten offensive teams such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to every entry hazard can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switch initiative thanks to U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and
it can fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for the job as it is able to remove hazards with Defog, while also having useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Banded set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to all entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but then it misses out on the extra coverage move or reliable Water-type STAB. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and loses out on the ability to flinch.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and threatens to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well because of King's Shield which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up a Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat is lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to its Water-type STAB and can threaten to burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack. RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and can phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also no longer weak to Ice Punch due to its Thick Fat ability, nor can its item be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of the stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough, while the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt, while Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

Gary

Gary2346

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in the OU metagame. Gifted with an amazing ability in the form of Huge Power, which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy typing, which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, and also a useful immunity to the Dragon typing, among a few other resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily Azumarill has access to priority Aqua Jet and solid 100 / 80 / 80 defenses to help offset its abysmal Speed stat a bit. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top-tier threat that every team needs to prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB Fairy-type move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon that would normally wall Azumarill otherwise, and it provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, who which resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, who which can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that Azumarill can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's not the best move to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature gives this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave. I'm not so sure this is the best wording. Azumarill would rather be paralyzed than burned, for example. It's not entirely crippled Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in bulk as possible to take advantage of its above-average bulk, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp, 92 Speed EVs are for Tyranitar, and 124 for Choice Banded Scizor. If you would prefer Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for the ability to switch between moves and bluff the Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and the ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponent's defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery it can be worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you can open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is Mixed Thundurus-I, because it not only lures Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it also deals with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the amount of pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins with Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus, Heatran also appreciates the lack of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. The latter two can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to the Drizzle ability, Politoed can heavily buff Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wallbreaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive type synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Ice-, Bug-, Dragon-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO a majority of the metagame with just Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the most important attack crux of this set, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed it and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a backup Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, which can live an Aqua Jet and threatens to phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Banded Scizor, which who can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, Azumarill with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature, (RC) Azumarill can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down so quickly by residual damage or faster users of priority. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as the Sitrus Berry once Azumarill its sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free setup opportunities against Pokemon such as Jellicent and Blissey that carry status-inducing or just say "status moves" moves, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely walls sponges Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill safe switch-in opportunities with U-turn. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with King's Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOes most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks, and set up Stealth Rock in their user's faces.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========
Perhaps an intro statement?
Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Banded set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk with Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Banded set, (RC) is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves and limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can screw around with its common switch-ins and remove their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but than it loses out on valuable utility.

Set Details
========

With the given EVs, Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given special defense investment, its Special Defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing for it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its set are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before, (AC) such as Thundurus, who which does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill is best fit on more offensive teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is easily able to switch into common special attackers that threaten offensive teams, (AC) such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to every entry hazard can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switch initiative thanks to U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and it can fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth Is tangrowth common? I've not really played but I can't recall it being significant. Perhaps Celebi is a better choice? with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, (RC) while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for removing them the job as it is able to remove hazards with Defog, while and also having has useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Banded set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to all entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but then it misses out on the extra coverage move or reliable Water-type STAB. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and loses out on the ability to flinch. Mention key things Aqua Tail KOes or say "Aqua Tail looks tempting but doesn't score anything significant" or something.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and threatens to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well because of King's Shield, (AC) which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up a Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat is lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to its Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can threaten to a burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack. RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and can phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also no longer weak to Ice Punch due to its Thick Fat ability, nor can its item be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of the a stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough, while and the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt; (SC) while Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

As always, great work!

1/2
Ugg sorry once I again I didn't get an alert when you tagged me :/ Anyways, thanks a lot for the check, everything is implemented.

wait wait wait sorry but add a spdef sap sipper set

scald / knock off / protect / toxic

created by legendary queer eo ut mortus, this set counters both charizards at the same time unlike any other poke and is a solid toxic staller to offensive threats like dnite, keldeo, etc

not sure if there should be any def ev's tho to live a hit from an important heavy attacker, any calc dudes to help would be cool

Gary

I'll attempt to test that set although using stallish Pokemon like that is definitely not my forte or preference. I'll still give it a go though. It'd be REALLY nice if QC or anybody else could help me test this out, I'm gonna be pretty busy these next few days and I'd like to get this done pretty quickly. Calcs and replays would be nice too.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it looks like another set may be added, but oh well, might as well check what's already here.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########

Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Gifted with an amazing ability in the form of Huge Power, which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy typing Fairy-typing, which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, and also as well as a useful immunity to the Dragon typing Dragon-type attacks, among a few other new resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily, Azumarill has access to priority in Aqua Jet and solid 100 / 80 / 80 defenses to help offset its abysmal Speed stat a bit. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top-tier threat that every team needs to must prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity in order to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB Fairy-type move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types that would wall Azumarill otherwise, such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon that would normally wall Azumarill otherwise, and it provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, which as it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a much more powerful Water-type STAB attack to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, which can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that Azumarill it can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from dropping Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's not the best move to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature give this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave or Toxic. Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in bulk as possible to take advantage of its above-average bulk defenses, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp,. 92 Speed EVs are enough for Tyranitar, and 124 EVs for Choice Band Scizor. If you would prefer for Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for the ability being able (you use "the ability to" later) to switch between moves and bluff the a Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and the ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponent's defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery, (<== COMMA) it can be worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is Mixed mixed Thundurus, because as it not only lures in Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it can also deals deal with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the amount of pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins with thanks to Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus, Heatran also appreciates the lack removal of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. The latter two On the topic of Scizor and Genesect, they are also good teammates as they can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to the Drizzle ability, Politoed can heavily buff power up Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wallbreaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive type synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Ice-, Bug-, Dragon-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO a the majority of the metagame with just Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the most important attack, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a backup Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, which can live an Aqua Jet and threaten to phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Band Scizor, which can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, Azumarill with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down so too quickly by residual damage or faster users of priority users. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as the a Sitrus Berry once Azumarill sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free setup opportunities against Pokemon that carry status-inducing moves such as Jellicent and Blissey that carry status-inducing moves, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to tear apart teams once its few checks and counters are gone, so it is important not to sweep before they are removed or else it can be cut short. It's best to set up on Dragon-types locked into a move, such as Choice Band Dragonite or Choice Scarf Salamence. Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it can successfully set up on weaker Bug-, Dark-, Water-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks. Because Azumarill forces a lot of switches, it finds many opportunities to set up on predicted switches. It's very important to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible before it sets up, because once its HP reaches below 50%, it's no longer possible for it to use Belly Drum.

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely sponges Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill with safe switch-in opportunities to switch in with U-turn. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with King's Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOes most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Water- Grass-, and Grass-type Poison-type attacks (I assume you meant Poison instead of Water), and use them to freely set up Stealth Rock in their user's faces.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Band set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk with granted by an Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Band set is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves, and limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can screw around with its common switch-ins and remove by removing their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB move to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but it loses out on valuable utility.

Set Details
========

With the given EVs, Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given special defense bulk investment, its Special Defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing for it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its set sets are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before, such as Thundurus, which does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill is best fit fits on more teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is easily able to easily switch into in on common special attackers that threaten offensive teams, such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to every entry hazard hazards can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switch switching initiative thanks to with U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for removing them with Defog, and also has useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Band set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to all entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but it then it misses out on the extra coverage move or reliable Water-type STAB the reliability of Waterfall. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and loses out on the ability to flinch, and it doesn't score any significant OHKOes.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and threatens can threaten to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well because of with King's Shield, which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up a Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat is has been lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to Azumarill's Water-type STAB moves and can threaten a to burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or it can deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack. RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and can phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also no longer not weak to Ice Punch due to its Thick Fat ability, nor can its item be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of a stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough, and the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt; Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and can threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.
Overview
########

Don't be fooled by its cute and seemingly harmless exterior, because Azumarill happens to be one of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Gifted with an amazing ability in Huge Power, which gives it a massive Attack stat nearly equivalent to that of Groudon, Azumarill is no slouch when it comes to wallbreaking. It was even given a major buff this generation with its new Fairy-typing, which gives it an incredible STAB combination to go along with its previously bland lone Water-typing, as well as a useful immunity to the Dragon-type attacks, among a few other new resistances. Unfortunately for Azumarill, its very low Speed stat leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Luckily, Azumarill has access to priority in Aqua Jet and solid 100 / 80 / 80 defenses to help offset its abysmal Speed stat. The new breeding mechanics now make it possible for Azumarill to run both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum on the same set, allowing for it to function as a terrifying sweeper. Despite its few shortcomings, Azumarill is a top-tier threat that every team must prepare for in order to succeed.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Because of Azumarill's awful Speed stat, Aqua Jet is an absolute necessity in order to get the jump on faster Pokemon that would normally outspeed it, such as Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Volcarona. Play Rough is an incredibly powerful STAB move that can 2HKO bulky Water-types that would wall Azumarill otherwise, such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon, and provides very useful coverage against the likes of Greninja, Dragonite, and Latias. Superpower is specifically for dealing massive damage to Ferrothorn, as it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and could potentially set up entry hazards against it with ease. As for the last moveslot, Waterfall is the preferred option for a much more powerful Water-type STAB attack to hit bulkier threats such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Scizor, which can all take at least one Aqua Jet.

Although Azumarill doesn't really have too many other viable attacking options, there are a few moves in particular that it can use to get around a few of its counters. Return or Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Tentacruel, which resists every single one of Azumarill's coverage moves, but it's not entirely worth the loss in power from dropping Waterfall. Knock Off can smack predicted switch-ins such as Gourgeist and dispose of their item, but it's not the best move to be locked into.

Set Details
========

Max Attack investment and an Adamant nature give this set maximum power, while the Speed EVs are to outpace Blissey and OHKO it with Play Rough before it can cripple Azumarill with Thunder Wave or Toxic. Although Azumarill will primarily want to invest as much in bulk as possible to take advantage of its above-average defenses, there are a few significant Pokemon that Azumarill can choose to outspeed. By running 84 Speed EVs, Azumarill can outpace Jellicent and 2HKO it on the switch with Play Rough before it can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. 92 Speed EVs are enough for Tyranitar, and 124 EVs for Choice Band Scizor. If you would prefer for Azumarill to have more move flexibility, then Mystic Water is an option for being able to switch between moves and bluff a Choice Band, but Azumarill loses out on a lot of power and ability to break through bulkier Pokemon, such as Rotom-W.

Usage Tips
========

The purpose of this set is to punch massive holes into the opponent's defenses so a teammate can come in and clean up. Thanks to Aqua Jet and Azumarill's high Attack stat, it can also pose as a decent revenge killer, capable of picking off weakened foes and frail sweepers. One must not forget that Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it's more than capable of taking weaker hits multiple times in a battle if it has to, but keep in mind that without reliable recovery, it can be worn down quite easily. Because of Azumarill's low Speed stat and Choice Band locking it into one move, it's best to use a hit-and-run strategy to get the best results with this set, or else you open up opportunities for the opponent to set up on one of its attacks.

Team Options
========

One of the best offensive teammates that can be paired with Azumarill is mixed Thundurus, as it not only lures in Celebi and deals massive damage to it with U-turn, but it can also deal with a few of Azumarill's biggest counters, such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Skarmory. Thundurus-I also benefits from the pressure Azumarill puts on Hippowdon, Chansey, Mamoswine, and Latias, which are some of its most common checks. Rotom-W also checks bulky Water-types and can provide Azumarill with tons of free switch-ins thanks to Volt Switch. Aegislash and Talonflame can both set up on Grass-type Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Venusaur that threaten Azumarill. Much like Thundurus, Heatran also appreciates the removal of special walls, and can also deal with many problematic Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Trevanent, Scizor, and Genesect. On the topic of Scizor and Genesect, they are also good teammates as they can use U-turn to bring Azumarill in safely. Even with the recent nerf to Drizzle, Politoed can power up Azumarill's Water-type attacks, allowing for it to be a much more potent wallbreaker. Because Azumarill will be switching in and out quite often, Defog or Rapid Spin support is very beneficial to remove those pesky entry hazards. Defog Latias is by far the best entry hazard remover due to its fantastic defensive synergy with Azumarill, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type moves while Azumarill can easily shrug off Ice-, Bug-, Dragon-, and Dark-type attacks.

Belly Drum
########

Moves
========

While the Choice Band set focuses on wallbreaking, this set aims to turn Azumarill into one of the most terrifying and unstoppable sweepers in the metagame. For the cost of 50% of its HP, Belly Drum skyrockets Azumarill's Attack stat all the way to a jaw dropping 1308, allowing for it to OHKO the majority of the metagame with Aqua Jet alone. Aqua Jet is the most important attack, because it allows Azumarill to hit Pokemon that would normally be able to outspeed and revenge kill it, such as Garchomp, Gengar, and Alakazam. Play Rough is essential to break through Pokemon that aren't KOed by Aqua Jet, such as Gourgeist, Trevenant, Latias, and Jellicent. Waterfall provides Azumarill with a backup Water STAB move to OHKO very bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, which can live an Aqua Jet and phaze it out with Whirlwind the following turn. On the other hand, Superpower is Azumarill's only chance at OHKOing Ferrothorn at full health, but with the added disadvantage of lowering Azumarill Attack and Defense stats, which makes Azumarill more vulnerable to priority moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread allows Azumarill to outpace minimum Speed Skarmory before it can use Brave Bird, as well as Choice Band Scizor, which can KO Azumarill with Bullet Punch at 50% health otherwise. If Rotom-W is a huge issue for your team, Azumarill with 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature can outrun the defensive variants and OHKO them with Play Rough. A Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because it gives Azumarill an extra bit of HP after using Belly Drum, which keeps it from being worn down too quickly by residual damage or faster priority users. Leftovers is also a fine option to give Azumarill some form of passive recovery before it sweeps, but it's not nearly as helpful as a Sitrus Berry once Azumarill sets up. Lum Berry gives Azumarill free setup opportunities against Pokemon that carry status-inducing moves such as Jellicent and Blissey, but it's pretty situational.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to tear apart teams once its few checks and counters are gone, so it is important not to sweep before they are removed or else it can be cut short. It's best to set up on Dragon-types locked into a move, such as Choice Band Dragonite or Choice Scarf Salamence. Azumarill is also quite bulky, so it can successfully set up on weaker Bug-, Dark-, Water-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks. Because Azumarill forces a lot of switches, it finds many opportunities to set up on predicted switches. It's very important to keep Azumarill as healthy as possible before it sets up, because once its HP reaches below 50%, it's no longer possible for it to use Belly Drum.

Team Options
========

As with most sweeping Pokemon, the best partners for this set are the ones that can eliminate Azumarill's checks and counters, allowing for it to sweep without worry. Mega Venusaur is a fantastic partner because it completely sponges Electric- and Grass-type attacks, and it's an amazing check to Rotom-W, Jellicent, and Quagsire. Scizor and Genesect can deal with Celebi and most other Grass-types that threaten to cut Azumarill's sweep short, and both of them can provide Azumarill with safe opportunities to switch in with U-turn. Garchomp and Landorus can remove Aegislash before it tries to come in and lower Azumarill's Attack with King's Shield or pick it off with Shadow Sneak. Thundurus-I is once again a great partner because it heavily weakens Rotom-W and OHKOes most bulky Water-types. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Azumarill so it no longer has to rely so much on Aqua Jet, while Galvantula can use Sticky Web to slow down opposing grounded Pokemon. Users of Rapid Spin or Defog are very important because Azumarill needs to be as healthy as possible before it can sweep; Excadrill and Forretress are good spinners while Latias and Scizor can use Defog. Entry hazard support is also extremely important for breaking Focus Sashes, Sturdy, and securing a few OHKOs. Ferrothorn is probably the best partner for the job because it can easily shrug off all Electric-, Grass-, and Poison-type attacks, and use them to freely set up Stealth Rock.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Aqua Jet is mandatory because without it, Azumarill can't revenge kill weakened Pokemon or outspeed faster Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Volcarona, and Landorus. Play Rough is a powerful STAB move that is great for wearing down Rotom-W, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types that resist Aqua Jet, as well as dealing massive damage to Dragon-, Dark-, and Fighting-types. Because this set is significantly weaker than the Choice Band set, Power-Up Punch helps remedy that issue by allowing Azumarill to raise its Attack stat. Thanks to its massive special bulk granted by an Assault Vest and ability to force a lot of switches, Azumarill gets plenty of opportunities to set up. The major advantage that this set has over the Choice Band set is that Azumarill is no longer restricted to using one move at a time, giving it the freedom to alternate between moves, limiting its pool of reliable switch-ins. Knock Off is the preferred move in the last moveslot because Azumarill can screw around with its common switch-ins by removing their item. It's also a decently powerful Dark-type move to hit Gourgeist, Celebi, and Trevanent with on the switch, along with hitting Tentacruel, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur for neutral damage. Waterfall gives Azumarill a much more powerful Water-type STAB move to hit bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but it loses out on valuable utility.

Set Details
========

Azumarill's Special Defense is maximized in order to make it as bulky as possible, while an Adamant nature and max Attack EVs allows it to become a powerful offensive tank. Azumarill already has very solid defensive stats, but with an Assault Vest and the given bulk investment, its Special Defense stat reaches a whopping 399, allowing it to sponge special attacks with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Although most of its sets are designed to put immense offensive pressure on the opposing team, this set is meant to transform Azumarill into an amazing offensive tank. Azumarill's massive special bulk when equipped with an Assault Vest allows it to take on a plethora of special attackers, such as Greninja, Kingdra, Mega Lucario, Hydreigon, Landorus, Keldeo, Genesect, Starmie, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. It does particularly well against rain offense in general due to its useful Water-, Ice-, and Dragon-type resistances, combined with the fact that most Pokemon found on these teams are destroyed by Azumarill's STABs (Kabutops, Kingdra, Mega Ampharos, etc). Azumarill is even able to take on Pokemon it couldn't before, such as Thundurus, which does a maximum of 79% to Azumarill with a Life Orb Thunderbolt and its KOed with the combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet.

Assault Vest Azumarill best fits on teams in need of a reliable offensive pivot. Azumarill is able to easily switch in on common special attackers that threaten offensive teams, such as Greninja and Keldeo, and can deal massive damage to them in return without losing valuable momentum. Remember to play conservatively with Assault Vest Azumarill, because its lack of recovery and susceptibility to entry hazards can wear it down relatively fast. Only directly switch Azumarill into resisted or weak special attacks, because very powerful special attackers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y can still deal a significant amount of damage to it on the switch.

Team Options
========

As usual, this set struggles to break through bulky Grass-types. Scizor is a great offensive partner because it is able to provide Azumarill with useful switching initiative with U-turn and it can set up on Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Mega Manectric is able to weaken physical attackers with Intimidate and bring in Azumarill safely with Volt Switch, which makes it immensely hard to break through physically and specially. On top of that, Manectric can lure Electric-type attacks before it Mega Evolves with its Lightningrod ability, OHKO Gyarados, and fry Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Tangrowth with Flamethrower or Overheat. Breloom can deal massive damage to bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Jellicent while also breaking through Ferrothorn. Entry hazards are a huge problem for Azumarill due to its lack of reliable recovery. Latias is once again the best Pokemon for removing them with Defog, and also has useful Electric- and Grass-type resistances.

Other Options
########

Azumarill has a few other move and set options that all have decent potential. A Life Orb can be used on the Choice Band set for more move freedom, but Azumarill's lack of reliable recovery, susceptibility to entry hazards, and recoil from Life Orb can wear it down very quickly. A SubPunch set with Leftovers is somewhat viable because it forces a lot of switches and can demolish Ferrothorn, but it requires a lot of prediction to work properly. Encore can give Azumarill opportunities to potentially set up a Belly Drum, but it then misses out on the extra coverage move or the reliability of Waterfall. Aqua Tail is slightly more powerful than Waterfall, but it has a 10% drop in accuracy and loses out on the ability to flinch, and it doesn't score any significant OHKOes.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Skarmory is a fantastic switch-in to most of Azumarill's sets, as it resists Play Rough and can avoid the 2HKO from Waterfall. Ferrothorn walls the hell out of any set lacking Superpower because it resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves. Mega Scizor is extremely bulky and can threaten to set up on Aqua Jet or Play Rough. Aegislash can check Azumarill very well with King's Shield, which can harshly lower Azumarill's Attack stat. It can also deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball or set up Swords Dance once Azumarill's Attack stat has been lowered.

** Bulky Water-types**: Jellicent cannot reliably switch into Azumarill because it takes a ton of damage from Play Rough, but it is immune to Azumarill's Water-type STAB moves and can threaten to burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W resists Azumarill's Water-type STAB and can also burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp, or it can deal heavy damage to it with an Electric-type attack. RestTalk Gyarados can lower Azumarill's Attack stat with Intimidate and phaze it out with Roar. Tentacruel resists both of Azumarill's STAB moves and can hit it super effectively with Sludge Bomb.

**Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-types**: Mega Venasaur is by far the greatest counter to Azumarill in OU, as it resists both of its STAB moves and can threaten back with either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. It's also not weak to Ice Punch due to Thick Fat, nor can its item be taken away by Knock Off. Amoonguss is also a great counter to Azumarill, but it must be careful of a stray Ice Punch. Gourgeist and Tangrowth are both incredibly bulky physically and can avoid the 2HKO from Play Rough, and the former can burn Azumarill with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric are very powerful Electric-types that can deal a ton of damage to Azumarill with Thunderbolt; Mega Manectric can also lower its Attack with Intimidate. Breloom and Gengar outspeed Azumarill and can threaten to OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

GP approved 2/2

Last edited:

Gary

Alright after a decent amount of testing from both Subject 18 and I, we've come to a conclusion that specially defensive Azumarill is not worthy enough to be its own set. Although it has a cool niche at being able to counter both Zard forms plus a variety of different Pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and Greninja, we found that its lack of any sort of offensive presence, complete Taunt bait, lack of reliable recovery, and sole niche on specific defensive teams keeps this set from being a main set. It also requires a lot of support to be successful, because without some sort of cleric it's completely shutdown by Toxic, and without a Wish passer it can be worn down relatively fast. This will definitely get a detailed OO mention though, because it's still viable, and has useful niches on stall teams in need of a full stop to both Zard forms + some Fighting-types. If anyone would like to refute this, please feel free to PM me or Subject 18, but overall, it just doesn't seem to be main set worthy. Please test it out yourself before giving us your concerns though.

Thank you for the last GP check Legitimate Username. And with that, this is done.

Gary

FYI I'm slashing Knock Off on the CB set now with Superpower. Hitting Ferrothorn is still better overall so it's going to be slashed after Superpower, but nothing likes getting their item knocked off and Azumarill will find many opportunities to spam it. It also makes the 3rd moveslot not completely useless when going up against teams that lack Ferrothorn. Besides, I've seen Knock Off work very well on good teams and I've used it a lot myself, so I think it's worth more than just a mention.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
FYI I'm slashing Knock Off on the CB set now with Superpower. Hitting Ferrothorn is still better overall so it's going to be slashed after Superpower, but nothing likes getting their item knocked off and Azumarill will find many opportunities to spam it. It also makes the 3rd moveslot not completely useless when going up against teams that lack Ferrothorn. Besides, I've seen Knock Off work very well on good teams and I've used it a lot myself, so I think it's worth more than just a mention.
I think one of the main reasons is because banded knock off OHKOs tank aegislash, which love to come in on azumarill. You should definitely mention how it lures in aegislash and gets rid of it pretty well if you wanna put knock off in there.

everything looks pretty nice etc, however in my experience a faster ev spread for belly drum set is generally better. something like max attack max speed jolly. adamant isn't really worthy, i mean, after a belly drum jolly azumarill can still do a 79% on m venusar (a thing the azu on the analyis cant outspeed) so it's still quite powerful. EVs in HP can be somewhat usefl but Azu is setupping just on resisted attacks / very weak ones etc so I think it isnt *really* helpful while Jolly max speed allows to outspeed slow variants of Rotom-Ws (still common on ladder) and to shot em with a +6 Play Rough. I guess just slash that different EV spread or mention it on OO if you like, gj anyway

Last edited:

Gary

everything looks pretty nice etc, however in my experience a faster ev spread for belly drum set is generally better. something like max attack max speed jolly. adamant isn't really worthy, i mean, after a belly drum jolly azumarill can still do a 79% on m venusar (a thing the azu on the analyis cant outspeed) so it's still quite powerful. EVs in HP can be somewhat usefl but Azu is setupping just on resisted attacks / very weak ones etc so I think it isnt *really* helpful while Jolly max speed allows to outspeed slow variants of Rotom-Ws (still common on ladder) and to shot em with a +6 Play Rough. I guess just slash that different EV spread or mention it on OO if you like, gj anyway
Max Speed Jolly is already mentioned in OO, however I do tend to agree that always outspeeding standard Rotom-W is great. I've been thinking of making that the standard for a long time because it's easily the most successful, but I'll ask QC if they agree with me on IRC.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Another speed thing I noticed, you should probably mention enough speed to outspeed skarmory on the CB set since you can 2hko it with waterfall with a bit of prior damage / get the flinch. I always run at least 164 speed on CB since it greatly improves your match up against stall if you can force them to go to Mega Venusaur everytime instead of Skarmory.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No point in outrunning Rotom-W when most of them are using 219 Speed to outrun min Speed Lando-T.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
No point in outrunning Rotom-W when most of them are using 219 Speed to outrun min Speed Lando-T.
(From usage stats)
Spreads | | Calm:252/0/0/4/252/0 22.101% | | Bold:252/0/252/4/0/0 9.818% | | Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 7.548% | | Modest:232/0/0/56/0/220 4.306% | | Modest:252/0/0/252/4/0 3.848% | | Bold:252/0/252/0/4/0 3.746% | | Other 48.633%

Eh, I don't think its caught on yet. Most are still running no speed, and though I myself run some speed on rotom-w, I still think going jolly max speed would be more effective on azu.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
(From usage stats)
Spreads | | Calm:252/0/0/4/252/0 22.101% | | Bold:252/0/252/4/0/0 9.818% | | Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 7.548% | | Modest:232/0/0/56/0/220 4.306% | | Modest:252/0/0/252/4/0 3.848% | | Bold:252/0/252/0/4/0 3.746% | | Other 48.633%

Eh, I don't think its caught on yet. Most are still running no speed, and though I myself run some speed on rotom-w, I still think going jolly max speed would be more effective on azu.
What matters is how many Speed Rotom-W runs in the analysis, not in the usage stats.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Umm...no. What matters it what your opponent is going to use, not what it is best for them to use, let alone what you think it's best for them to use. I'm not even sure it is best to run any speed on rotom-w; you're probably better off going second against another rotom, since they can't really touch each other. Its also worth noting that rotom mostly beats landorus-t regardless of how much speed either is using.

The fact that we have to cater to the sets from our own analyses is actually quite undesirable. It's what leads to our speed creep rules. When the sets used differ from those in the analysis, this is not a problem at all, but instead an opportunity to give advice that is actually good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)