Pokémon Zygarde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Virizion? In the same metagame as Talonflame? Good luck with that.

That, and read the stinking thread before commenting. It has some key attributes over Garchomp, and is really not comparable in any way besides type, and Flygon is just a source for occasional laughs as it has no place in OU.

As for actual usage, I've been loving its parashuffling set, but its subcoil sets are fun too. Just check its Analysis thread for that one.

Also, terms like "legendary" and "mascot" have little place in actual discussion. This is a great pokemon that's a little niche for it to get OU usage, but is more than usable if you find a place for it on your team
Breloom and Chesnaught do well. Virizion is definitely underrated, in my opinion.
Zygarde is terrible in OU. No two ways about it in my eyes really. It's too slow and the ice weakness is depressing. Its move pool is underwhelming as it really struggles to hit as hard as Chomp. Just personal opinions as always but I really do think we should wait until the next release before we really stab at this guy's viability.
No pokemon, with the exception of a few like Luvdisc, are terrible. Zygarde is an underrated threat that can be bulky and parashuffle or use its decent special bulk and access to coil to become a bulky sweeper with an accurate stone edge + Extremespeed. The ice weakness is not good, but other pokemon, like Garchomp, Dragonite, and the Landos still manage. It won't be OU anytime soon (although I'm pretty sure it's getting at least one mega in the sequel), I still think it's viable.

Why do people keep talking about "Z"? There's been zero evidence that it's coming anytime soon, and no guarantee it'll bring anything new. Isn't there some rule about discussing unconfirmed information anyway?

As long as you give it adequate special defense team support, its sweeper sets can punch impressive holes in most teams. Or, you can cripple teams with glare and set up another late game sweeper. Really, it's one of my favorites this gen.

Breloom and Chesnaught do well. Virizion is definitely underrated, in my opinion.
Chesnaught has spiky shield and nice stall sets and Breloom has spore/technician mach punch. They both have accepted niches that are undoubtedly important enough to justify their use. Virizion doesn't have that amazing niche.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Why do people keep talking about "Z"? There's been zero evidence that it's coming anytime soon, and no guarantee it'll bring anything new. Isn't there some rule about discussing unconfirmed information anyway?

As long as you give it adequate special defense team support, its sweeper sets can punch impressive holes in most teams. Or, you can cripple teams with glare and set up another late game sweeper. Really, it's one of my favorites this gen.

Chesnaught has spiky shield and nice stall sets and Breloom has spore/technician mach punch. They both have accepted niches that are undoubtedly important enough to justify their use. Virizion doesn't have that amazing niche.
I just meant a 4x weakness to Flying doesn't mean immediate death for a pokemon. Virizion's swords dance set is much more effective than one would imagine, and I'd push for at least a C- rank for it. But that's not for this thread.

And regarding Z, or whatever it'll be called, you're right, there's no concrete evidence that there will be one. But, there are hints, such as the fact that there are currently 6 unknown moves from pokemon X&Y. It's very possible it could be like Kyurem, in that it starts out good but not great, and ends up with two great forms, each with a (useless) signature move. Although (again), you are right, full threads shouldn't be devoted to it, it's not terrible just to reference possibilities, like begging for future move tutors, in an afterthought of a post.

Zygarde is terrible in OU. No two ways about it in my eyes really. It's too slow and the ice weakness is depressing. It's move pool is underwhelming as it really struggles to hit as hard as Chomp. Just personal opinions as always but I really do think we should wait until the next release before we really stab at this guy's viability.
Have you even tried Zygarde? Plus, it's been established that it is not similar to Garchomp abr typing. Let me just repeat,a s people still seem to forget:
Zygarde and Garchomp share nothing in common except typing!

Have you even tried Zygarde? Plus, it's been established that it is not similar to Garchomp abr typing. Let me just repeat,a s people still seem to forget:
Zygarde and Garchomp share nothing in common except typing!
Apologies, I'm just a bit disappointed with the 'mon. I've used it a fair bit but it just totally fails to stand out.

Apologies, I'm just a bit disappointed with the 'mon. I've used it a fair bit but it just totally fails to stand out.
That's understandable. It's a really weird mon to use. Assuming you're using some kind of set up sweeper set, you have to get really used to the idea of picking your victims well. It can set up on most physical attackers, but you really have to avoid status (unless you sub up) and fast special attackers that can switch in while you buff (especially Greninja, anybody who isn't used to Zygarde will find themselves many a victim to that frog's ice beam)

I use it on my stall team, largely because I'm looking for a dragon that can take hits on the physical side. It's done fairly well, with Max Defense/HP with Glare/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Haze, and is a backup of sorts to my Hippo and Skarm.

I use it and it worked. I use a Coil+Dragon tail (along with stonequake), which is pretty good in combination with SR. The most notable things you have to care about are fast ice beam users and the lati@s siblings. If you manage to eliminate them before sending Zygarde, it will succeed.

zyguarde is very underrated imo. Considering that it can take ice shards from mamoswine, I think its bulk is very underrated.

this is my custom set for zy
zyguarde @ leftovers
252hp/208atk/48speed. Adamant
coil
substitute
stone edge
earthquake

the speed EVs allow it to reach 238 speed allowing it to outspeed 4 speed base 100's. Substitute is for status and switches for setup. Basically get a physical attacker and boost, then sweep

Last edited:
sorry for the double post, but to prove how good zygarde's bulk is I ran a few calcs

252 atk mega chomp dragon claw vs 252hp/0def zygarde:64.7 - 77.1% garunteed 2HKO
252+atk mamoswine ice shard vs 252hp zygarde after a coil:40 - 46.6% garunteed 3HKO
or the same with an icicle crash:82.8 - 98%garunteed 2HKO, but then: 252+ zygarde +1earthquake vs 252hp mamo: 63.6 - 75%garunteed2HKO
and then the extremespeed:

33.9 - 40% so zygarde has a good chance

If Zygarde can get a free coil off, there aren't that many physical attackers that can take an EQ + ES. I still love the coil/EQ/Stone edge/ESpeed set, but I've noticed a pretty significant difference in its effectiveness between OU and UU, mostly because 100 atk is still only okay no matter how you spin it.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Zygarde is basically outclassed by other dragons like Dragonite and Garchomp :/. It does get boosting moves that other dragons yearn for, but Skarmory and Togekiss just wall it, it has no fire STAB the other dragons usually carry. Has anyone tried Assault Vest Zygarde? It seems like it can run it effectively.
I don't think it's outclassed by Garchomp, as their only similarity is their typing. Garchomp is either a strong revenge killer, a SD sweeper, or a Wall Breaking mega. Zygarde, on the other hand, is normally a bulky Coil or Dragon Dance user. Coil is not learnt by any other pokemon, so it certainly isn't outclassed there. Its Ddance sets are similar to Dragonite, but Zygarde's benefits are that it resists Stealth Rock and has STAB EQ instead of coverage EQ. Garchomp can also run a ParaShuffling set, which isn't outclassed at all by Dragonite due to Zygarde's better bulk.

Also, Togekiss cannot wall it if it has Stone Edge, which most offensive variants do. Your point about Skarmory, however, is extremely valid, and is something that makes it, in at least one way, worse than other dragons.

Also, I do think Assault Vest could be viable. You'd achieve insane mixed bulk, and be able to run every offensive move most Zygardes struggle to pick from. The only problem is that 100 Attack is mediocre when unboosted. I still think the Coil set is its best.

Have you tried the Coil set in the OP? It has never failed me and is extremely tanky and powerful. Having Extremespeed is awesome as well. It has destroyed in OU, destroyed better in UU, and if its usage remains as low as it is, it is gonna have a fun time in RU for a week or so before it gets banned.

The problem here is that you have the Coil and the Glare separate. You are not being one with the Zygarde.

Zygarde
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Ability:Aura Break
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252HP / 4Def / 252SpD
Moves:
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Coil
- Earthquake

It's just like using Dragonite, but you don't have to worry about that unfortunate 10% chance of missing with either of the moves, and your Dragon Tail will do more damage. Totally worth it, eh?
THANK YOU. This was the first set that jumped in my mind. It's got the bulk on both sides, why not use it? Pair him up with someone who can deal with fairies, as well as some annoyers like Togekiss and Klefki, and you can have something going here. All I see in this thread is people comparing Zygarde to Garchomp and Dragonite and lamenting that he's not as good of a Dragon Dancer or Extremespeed user or this or that. I love the Coil/Glare combination, and Zygarde is the best Pokemon in the game to get it, bar none. The only other noteworthy user of it is Serperior, who isn't bulky enough. Other than that, you're stuck with freaking Arbok, Dunsparce, and Seviper if you want to experiment with the combination.

Thanks for posting, I'm heading to Terminus Cave now to get a Careful one. :D

how about glare + sub + dragon tail + coil? glare on the switch in, sub until theyre paralysed to move, then coil up & dragon tail.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you're running Assault Vest, I think that Outrage would be a good idea to make up for the lack of a boosting move.

Zygarde @ Assault Vest
- bulky spread -

Outrage
Dragon Tail
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Not sure how effective it'd be, though.

According to serebii, land's wrath targets only all opponents in 2+ battles, unlike the friendly-fire earthquake, so that might be one move to consider in doubles or triples.

If you're running Assault Vest, I think that Outrage would be a good idea to make up for the lack of a boosting move.

Zygarde @ Assault Vest
- bulky spread -

Outrage
Dragon Tail
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Not sure how effective it'd be, though.
Outrage or Dragon Tail could probably be swapped out for Extremespeed here, though this is still fine.

Alright so I've figured out my resttalk set, even if its VERY flawed, operating like crocune.

zygarde Leftovers
252hp/252spdef/4atk careful nature
rest
sleep talk
coil
outrage/stone edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)