Pokémon The Eternal Flower (or: Floette-E)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a 140BP STAB Fairy-type attack off of 125 base SpA is going to create a niche for anything that isn't utterly worthless in other respects.

I'm not sure what Floette-E's best set would be, though; its stat spread is kind of weird. I think the Defensive Calm Mind set sounds interesting? Maximize physical bulk so you can get a couple boosts in and start spamming Light of Ruin.

The big issue is that your HP stat isn't great, and if you use Floette-E as a wallbreaker - and that's something it could definitely pull off; brute force is not a problem here - you're going to kill yourself pretty quickly. That makes a Choice Specs set a lot less attractive.

Although, hell, that could be fucking terrifying with Wish support. Use it as a hit-and-run attacker; bring Floette in, Light of Ruin something, switch out, come back in once you're able to get a Wish in and kill something else.

Arcticblast: it's a Powersaves thing - here's Serebii's updaded dex entry

also, ffs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 268-316 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Floette @ Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA/252 Speed

Light of Ruin
Psychic / HP Fire
Wish
Protect

Or you could cut out the bullshit of switching in and out and just run LO with Wish. Fairy has such ridiculously good coverage that Psychic or HP Fire are the only choices you need for coverage. It is worth running Timid so you can beat Landorus-T, Lucario, and Roserade, but if you have good speed control then of course Modest can be run. Leftovers as always is also a viable choice because you're not guaranteed to survive a hit to get the Wish off. 74/128 special defense is nice for a hardhitting mon, but it is extremely frail on the physical end. I think that Floette is quite dependent on speed control of the enemy team; I hope the Icy Wind tutor comes out and this can learn it because it would be a real boon to LO sets.

EDIT;; @previous post: you don't need HP Psychic, Floette learns Psychic @_@

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
also, ffs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 268-316 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
I assume that's Psychic, and not HP Psychic.
Floette @ Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA/252 Speed

Light of Ruin
Psychic / HP Fire
Wish
Protect

Or you could cut out the bullshit of switching in and out and just run LO with Wish. Fairy has such ridiculously good coverage that Psychic or HP Fire are the only choices you need for coverage. It is worth running Timid so you can beat Landorus-T, Lucario, and Roserade, but if you have good speed control then of course Modest can be run.

EDIT;; @previous post: you don't need HP Psychic, Floette learns Psychic @_@
The calc was done with Psychic, but says HP Psychic.

Age of Kings: Sure, but minHP Floette-E has a whopping 289 HP. Light of Ruin and Life Orb recoil are going to eat through that fast; you'll usually wind up well under the 50% mark, meaning that you have to queue Wishes up in advance to survive. That's going to make you very predictable. Like, Lando-T? You get an OHKO! You're sitting at 63 HP afterward! You're not going to get to use Wish against a decent player afterward because you're at around 21.8%. With Stealth Rock on the field, you're at 9.3%.

Speed control will do jack shit to stop your opponent from killing you before Wish kicks in when you're at 9.3% HP.

So, you forgo Speed to improve your survivability a bit - and it's still not great - or you provide Wish support to ensure that Floette's actually good for more than one blow.

Actually, I think Moonblast might have some utility on some of this thing's sets; it's still pretty damn powerful, and it provides you with a STAB option that doesn't leave you half-dead. Use Light of Ruin where it gets you significant OHKOs/2HKOs that are worth the absurd recoil, use Moonblast for situations where you can get the same practical results without jeopardizing Floette-E.

You want to nail Lucario, for example - Moonblast is still an OHKO, and unlike Light of Ruin it's not a suicide move.

So, Specs set might look like:

Floette-E@Choice Specs
Modest/Timid
4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe

-Light of Ruin
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Fire)

Energy Ball's coverage isn't valuable enough to forgo Moonblast's not-killing-yourself factor.

Last edited:
So, this guy comes from something happening to a flowette, and Diancie comes from something happening to a Carbink, how long before we start seeing random items turning pikachu into a legendary pokemon?

Then again universe logic has been doing things weird, and we've never had control of it for a while. See, Mew -> Mewtwo, Slowtwins, Mantine, 1+1 (+1) =1 pokemon, so I suppose we could never get Pikagod.

So, this guy comes from something happening to a flowette, and Diancie comes from something happening to a Carbink, how long before we start seeing random items turning pikachu into a legendary pokemon?

Then again universe logic has been doing things weird, and we've never had control of it for a while. See, Mew -> Mewtwo, Slowtwins, Mantine, 1+1 (+1) =1 pokemon, so I suppose we could never get Pikagod.
That's probably what Light Ball was "meant" to do.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow this is a pretty interesting Pokemon to say the least, definitely wasn't expecting this.

Light of Ruin is an extremely powerful attack coming off of 125 base Special Attack and STAB, and seeing as it has very usable Speed unlike its fully evolved counterpart, it can actually run a decent offensive set that's capable of outspeeding Pokemon such as Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, Dragonite, Breloom, Excadrill, Mandibuzz, and Gyarados. It's even more powerful than Sylveon's Pixilate Hyper Voice, so it's not completely outclassed by it. It also has decent Special Defense, which allows it to function as a powerful offensive special tank if need be.

The biggest issue I'm seeing with Floette-E is that its subpar 74 HP stat and signature spam move do not work well together at all. We already know how Head Smash works on Rampardos; it's powerful as fuck and kills pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, but it dies after like 2 hits, and even that thing has a salvageable HP stat. For example, if Floette-E uses Light of Ruin on a healthy Conkeldurr with only 4 HP investment and OHKO it, it's going to take a whopping 176 damage in recoil, which is more than half of its HP stat if you choose not to invest fully in it, which you really shouldn't because 92 Speed is something that needs some decent investment. This makes the Offensive Life Orb or Choice Specs set basically a jihad attacker, because without having reliable recovery (Wish isn't instant healing and requires it to be used alongside Protect to be considered reliable, thus it's not reliable recovery, especially on offensive sets) it cant stick around for that long. After Light of Ruin + LO recoil, Floette-E will be at a range where something can easily come in and revenge kill it, making it very hard for it to get off a Wish. Choice Specs has no means of reliable recovery whatsoever, but I think it's a lot more viable than the LO sets because much like Exploud 99% of the time you're just going to be spamming Light of Ruin to shit on everything, so I don't see much of a reason to even need to use its other moves except for maybe Psychic for Mega Venusaur. I'm sorry, but why the hell would anyone in the right mind use Light of Ruin on a defensive set? Again, you're taking a shit ton of recoil damage, and if you're trying to use Floette as some kind of defensive pivot, you want to try and keep it as healthy as possible without having to keep Wish protecting every five seconds. Sylveon outclasses the hell out of it in the defensive role anyway, because of its higher HP, Special Defense, and powerful STAB Hyper Voice with zero defensive drop backs.

All in all, Floette-E seems like it will find a small niche in the OU metagame similar to Staraptor. Both of these Pokemon have shit HP stats, doable Speed stat, and extremely powerful STAB moves that very little can switch into, but the massive recoil keeps it from being a reliable attacker that can last for more than a few turns. Much like Staraptor, it will come in, kill a thing or two, and die. Definitely a niche, but I feel like some of you are over exaggerating some of its qualities. Besides, Raptor has a greater niche of being on Bird core teams, while Floette is kind of on its own. Yes nothing can really switch into it, and yes it's powerful as fuck and can outspeed things, but it's almost completely outclassed defensively by Sylveon, and it can't run a reliable sweeping set because it dies way too quickly. Just slap a pair of Choice Specs on this thing and call it a day.

Last edited:
Updated the OP.

Floette-E really does appear to be the suicide-bomber kind of Pokémon. It doesn't sweep in the way that say, M-Gardevoir does - it seems best suited to a wallbreaker role, smashing apart defensive cores with your massively OP STAB for a few turns before you die, so another sweeper can clean up. I've removed the defensive sets for this reason; your best move slowly kills you and without it, you were better using Clefable and Sylveon, which defeats the whole purpose of a defensive set. Not so sure about CM, but Gardevoir might do that better anyway because, you know, it doesn't die in two turns, and it has more coverage to work with.

#YouOnlyLiveForeverOnce

Again - I think Floette-E is going to wind up relying more on the threat of Light of Ruin than on its actual use. Light of Ruin is something that forces switch-ins to think twice, but in most cases Moonblast is a better move for spamming.

Some comparisons with Modest Specs sets using Light of Ruin and Moonblast on various things:

(ignore Psycho Boost, I used it as a base and changed typing to Fairy)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 692-816 (167.1 - 197.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 470-554 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 252-297 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 171-202 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 366-432 (112.9 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 249-294 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 488-576 (120.7 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 332-392 (82.1 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 282-333 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(this is only comparable with Unaware Clefable, but remember: Light of Ruin 2HKOs are suicide)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 238-282 (63.6 - 75.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if you bet a game on those odds you deserve to lose)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Floette Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 162-192 (43.3 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Moonblast gets a lot of the same OHKOs, and 2HKOs don't require you to suicide; nothing can really take it as a chance to switch in. Light of Ruin is a panic button - "kill this fucker dead, I don't care if I lose Floette-E." It's actually closer to pre-gen V Explosion than it is to anything else on a tactical level; it's a nuke that will probably kill you, as opposed to a nuke that will definitely kill you.

I just think it's important to make it clear that "click Light of Ruin until I die" is a waste of Floette-E's potential; Light of Ruin is an incredibly powerful tool that you need to use very cautiously.

High-level play with Floette-E is going to be almost entirely about knowing when to use Light of Ruin and when to use Moonblast; it's about knowing what KOs what, and predicting switch-ins. It's not the fourth move listed; it's the second. It's integral to making Floette-E good for more than removing one troublesome threat.

Last edited:
Most other Fairy-types don't have Floette-E's SpA or Spe. Even without Light of Ruin, it could stand out in its own ways as a speedy, powerful special tank.

Meh, if no Eviolite, I honestly think it looks like an inferior Sylveon...
Floette-E: 74 HP / 65 Atk / 67 Def / 125 SAtk / 128 SDef / 92 Spe
Sylveon: 95 HP / 65 Atk / 65 Def / 110 SAtk / 130 SDef / 60 Spe

Floette-E advantages: 2 Def, 15 SAtk, 32 Spe
Sylveon advantages: 21 HP, 2 SDef

Also Sylveon has Hyper Voice, while Floette-E has Light of Ruin. Sylveon has advantages for sure, but so does Floette-E.

252+ SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 213-252 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Florges Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 280-330 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, Floette hits harder.

If the main thing this thing's going to be doing is spamming Moonblast or Light of Ruin then Pixie Plate could be a viable alternative to Choice Specs. It may lose the ability to 2HKO Heatran and friends (I wouldn't know, I can't do calcs on my phone) but you could leave them up to other team members instead considering how few counters this thing has. If that's the case then maybe it can just forget about coverage moves altogether and carry stuff like Calm Mind or Wish instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)