CAP 18 CAP 18 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Name: The Multitasker
General Description: A Pokemon that can fulfill multiple roles on a single set successfully
Justification: It happens so often that you just wish there'd be a certain Pokemon on your team that you can't fit on there. How often do you build a stall team and then wish you'd be able to revenge kill something? How often is your HO team being wrecked by a powerful priority user and do you wish that you'd have some sort of wall/tank that doesn't care about this at all? Well, enter CAP 18, the Pokemon that can fulfill a defensive niche on your stall team while also having the tools to get rid of a sweeper in a situation of emergency, a Pokemon that can do big damage to your opponent's team but can also serve as a sponge/pivot to certain threats that otherwise wreck your team. It's unlike a Pokemon such as Mew, which can run pretty much anything it wants but no matter what it runs but will always be dedicated to one role on your team rather than two. I'd like to know if we can create a Pokemon that can successfully fulfill a niche typical to a team style while also being able to do something atypical to that team style.
Questions To Be Answered:
  • Can a Pokemon dedicate itself to two radically different roles at once?
  • Can we create a Pokemon that serves many different purposes without making it too good?
  • How do we make sure that its best sets don't end up being ones that are dedicated to a single role?
  • What is the ideal blend of stat spread, movepool and ability in order to give a Pokemon so many roles?
Explanation: Considering the biggest issue here is probably how we can keep a Pokemon from being broken/unhealthy when it can do so many things, while also keeping it from having a too severe case of 4MSS. Personally, I'd say that aside from an expansive movepool, it would probably like a big (special) attack stat, while its other stats are only decent. To compensate for the fact that it doesn't have huge bulk, it would need a useful defensive typing (much like Rotom-W, which hasn't got the highest bulk out there but just enough to reliably check a lot of top threats) and a set of more defensively inclined abilities (Unaware? Poison Heal? Maybe just an ability that offers it a useful immunity?). Also, how many possible roles would it have to be able to take on? How broad would these roles be? In the broadest sense, ie. wall, sweeper, utility? Or are we talking about more specified roles, such as Hazard Remover, Pivot, Priority Abuser? These are all things to keep in mind, I think it'll be an interesting and challenging thing to create such a Pokemon.

Concept: Low Priority

Description: A Pokemon that can handle most relevant priority moves and comfortably check and/or counter their users

Justification: In the current state of the OU metagame, priority is everywhere. The introduction of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir have given rise to extremely powerful Flying-type priority, Aegislash has brought Shadow Sneak to OU, and everyone now has to worry about taking Azumarill's powerful Aqua Jets thanks to its increased viability. These are but a few examples of the numerous priority moves available, and most OU teams have multiple priority users. Curbing priority in some way would allow many different Pokemon to breathe easy due to reduced fear of easy revenge-killing and show us exactly to what degree the large influx of priority has impacted the metagame.

Questions to be answered:
-Would a metagame with reduced priority show an increased reliance on Speed?
-Would the relevance of certain playstyles, like Stall or Hyper Offense, change with reduced priority?
-Which Pokemon benefit most from a reduction in priority?
-Which specific priority moves or priority users should an anti-priority Pokemon be able to handle?
-What is the best role for an anti-priority Pokemon?

Explanation: While this concept may imply a physical wall, seeing as how most priority moves are physical, this doesn't necessarily have to be true. A physically defensive route seems the most obvious, but what role does it take? Does it straight-up wall priority users? Is it a pivot? Does it have just enough bulk or a good typing to act as a revenge killer? These are the roles that come to my mind when I think of "anti-priority", and I don't doubt that there are several other roles that a Pokemon could take to counter priority or turn it against the enemy.
I think this is a really great idea. In fact, I don't know if it's been brought up or not, but what about making it all "weaker" attacks that it can deal with? say for instance, a pokemon that can handle weaker attacks with much ease.

In a metagame where accuracy is such a HUGE playing factor (In that most players want moves that are as accurate as possible), this would encourage players to run moves which deal greater damage for a cost of less accuracy (i.e. Hydro Pump, Thunder, Hi Jump Kick). It could make all the difference in some way for players to start running Hydro Pump over surf or even thunder as opposed to Volt Switch on their Greninja or Rotom-W, respectively. And this would mean current OU mons like Conkeldurr would have an incredibly difficult time taking down this threat, especially because it's current popular set is standardized to have moves that do 75 or less damage, save for Knock Off when the foe has an item.

I do like the original idea though, because priority can be such a pain. And yes it could all matter with speed in the end. We're talking about that tense moment where one mon has less than 13% health, and the other is launching it's ice shard or mach punch for the K.O. Well, what if the target pokemon still survived. That makes all the difference in a match.

Last edited:
It’s been awhile since I’ve actively contributed to one of these, and I’ve always missed the Step 1 entries, so let’s give this a shot. Any recommendations or improvements I could make would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve never done this before and hardly claim to be a top-tier player by any means. Anyways, onward to the concept!

Name - The Inoculated

Description - A Pokémon that uses typing uncommon immunities or x4 resistances to gain the upper hand in battle through gained momentum.

Justification – In Gen VI, the introduction of Fairy Types threw the metagame on its head, singlehandedly ending the reign of Dragons by introducing a hard counter to their Outrage-ous sweeps and Banded might. However, even with the nerfing of Dragons, there are still numerous moves that are almost always a must-have on sweeper sets, and it’s easy to understand why. Some types, such as Ice, Rock, Fire, Ground, etc are powerful simply due to how many common threats they can check with their superior coverage. As such, many Pokémon that are weak to these typings have been relegated to lower tiers. GameFreak itself has added in several abilities to counter these prevalent types in the past, but more often than not, their users often lack the base stats, movepool, or typing to use it effectively in the big leagues. In light of this, what would happen if a new Pokémon were designed as a viable counter to one or more of these common offensive typings through the use of either new/rare immunities or rock-solid resistances? Even more interesting would be the creation of a Pokémon with variable immunities through alternate abilities or moves, which would force the opponent to gamble every time they sent out a Choice'd 'mon.

- Which existing Pokémon would benefit most from having a viable counter to offensive moves they are normally weak to?
- What sort of tradeoffs would need to be made in order to keep a Pokemon with rare or powerful immunities balanced in the OU metagame?
- What kind of an impact would the Inoculated have on the movesets of existing sweepers?
- If this Pokémon possessed two or more abilities that granted it powerful immunities, how would the dynamics of the game change around a Pokémon with variable immunities?
- How much of an advantage are impenetrable immunities relative to strong x4 resistances?
- What would be the best role for the Inoculated in the current metagame?

Explanation – The CAP Project represents a unique opportunity for us to do something that can have serious impact on the OU meta, and something that could potentially balance out the relative imbalance of the 18 existing types has great potential as a learning experience. There are a couple of interesting ways we could go about this concept, from giving it an ability such as Flash Fire to giving it a typing such as Fighting/Ground to give it a x4 resist to Rock. If we wanted to go really extreme with this concept, we could even go the route of giving a Pokémon with abnormal typing (Maybe Rock/Psychic?) the Wonder Guard ability and an HP stat of more than 1. On the inverse, we could take a Pokémon with horrible defensive typing and give it the exact opposite of Wonder Guard, granting it immunity to the types it would normally be weak to. (“Miracle Guard” Grass/Rock anyone?) Perhaps we could grant it two separate abilities that each granted an immunity to a popular offensive type, forcing the opponent to take a gamble whenever they lock in a move with either type. There’s some room for creativity here depending on the way we want to steer this ship, and it would be a unique experience trying to build a CAPmon around typing immunities or defensive type combos not normally seen in the OU meta.

Best of luck to all submissions, and I look forward to actually contributing a bit to one of these for the first time in ages. +)

Last edited:
Name: Hyper Aggressor

Description: A pokemon that can switch in on common pivot moves, forcing pokemon into more aggressive choices for moves.

Justification: Arguably the most frequently used moves include U-Turn and Volt Switch which are used to pivot and avoid hard switches and scout. These two moves are available on a wide-range of frequently used pokemon and generally make the meta-game far more passive in play. Personally, I've seen far too many competitive matches where the match goes turn after turn of just U-Turning and switching and very little offensive moves were being used. While some pokemon such as a Genesect can utilize U-Turn as an offensive move, this is atypical. A pokemon that could truly change the meta by making opponents think twice before using a pivot move out of fear of this pokemon and instead forcing pokemon to run sets that promote more direct offense and type coverage would be a radical change. It would be exciting to see if the change of one threat could change the metagame in such a manner, even if the pokemon wasn't forced into using the same sets each time, merely it's presence does the trick.

-Can one single pokemon redefine the metagame or at least change move usage statistics?
-How would this pokemon be able to create this sense of fear from it's switch in?
-What kind of moves might become more viable in a more offensive meta?
-Could any other pokemon become more viable or good partners to this new pokemon in a redefined metagame?

Explanation: In this meta, speed and pivoting seems to be everything and defines which pokemon are seen more frequently. So many pokemon are doomed to lower tiering because of this fact, and so many newer pokemon could really shine in a meta which is defined more by raw power than speed and scouting. Lots of methods can be used to create this pokemon which excels on switching into to a pivot move such as good typing to resist, favorable ability, strong set up ability, etc. It would be interesting to see how current pokemon that rely on pivoting such as Rotom-Wash or Scizor function in a different meta. Perhaps the rise of different sets such as Trick Rotom or more Mega Scizors, etc. It seems like an interesting change that wouldn't have to be made on every team, but might leave lasting waves of fear in making a team relying on such a pivot strategy.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, time to look at the second page of concepts. As always, send me a PM if you've edited your concept and would like more feedback. If you're still working on a concept (as in, if any of the 5 parts are blank) then I'll hold my commentary.

TorterraX (Predictable me?) - I'm not sure if this is possible, really. If this concept is selected we'd be spending months analyzing this concept from just about every angle we can think of, but this concept is based on the opponent not knowing what this Pokemon is capable of. If I'm understanding this concept correctly, you want to design a Pokemon with one primary set that can also run a multitude of "luring" options. In my opinion, the closest Pokemon we've had to this concept is Genesect before it was banned recently, and even then people realized it had the potential to run far more than just a Scarf set. If you could provide some examples of how you think this concept can succeed, it would be helpful.

Brammi (Fog Bank) - You allude to Defiant and Competitive Pokemon in your concept, but I'm having trouble thinking of any other ways you would want to force your opponent not to Defog. Placing pressure on the opponent ("if you Defog I KO you, if you Roost you can't Defog") is a reasonable way to discourage the opponent from Defogging, but you said it yourself you don't want to discourage Defog offensively. I can think of a few ultra-niche strategies that would discourage Defog (Contrary, Defiant/Competitive), but there seem to be very few paths to take with this concept.

Knuckstrike (Jack of all trades, ...) - This seems like another "glue" Pokemon concept, a rather popular choice for a concept so far. In your Explanation, could you expand on any examples of this concept have existed in current or previous metagames? If you don't believe this concept has existed before, could you explain why not?

DeltaFlame (Perfect Klefki Counter) - Klefki and SwagPlay as a whole are not worth creating an entire Pokemon to stop. Although they are definitely annoying to face, Klefki is a fringe OU Pokemon (43rd by usage) and below the OU cutoff in the 1760 stats. It's hard to justify that we need to create a Pokemon just to handle a fringe strategy, especially one based almost entirely on luck. Although I admit Klefki is a difficult Pokemon to counter and that most teams are not specifically well-equipped to handle Klefki, the reverse is true as well. Klefki is not a Pokemon that can run through a team consistently, and its low usage among high-level players supports this.

Afti (Gettin' Tricky With It) - Do you think it's possible to make a Trick Room team strategy viable when only 5 turns are available? Furthermore, a Trick Room sweeper that would be on this Pokemon's team would only have 3 turns to unleash attacks. Unless this Pokemon is ridiculously powerful, it's going to struggle greatly in the bulky metagame that is Gen VI OU. I can get behind a Trick Room standalone sweeper, but Trick Room teams do not see use in OU because it's just too slow a strategy and because 3 turns is not enough time to prepare a sweep. I'd like to see more argument directed at what it takes to make Trick Room teams viable in XY OU and whether or not one Pokemon can be enough to make said teams viable.

bugmaniacbob (Psychological Warfare) - I like this concept as an idea, but I'm really concerned about its feasibility. This concept wants to stress out good players the same way pressure situations stress out bad players, but one of the hallmarks of a good player is their ability to remain cool under pressure. The "illusion of immortality" is definitely possible to create in this generation, but the effectiveness of this illusion is inversely proportional to the skill of the opponent. The Doom Desire Jirachi example you cite was not a prevalent strategy in any generation even though Jirachi is a theoretically great user of Doom Desire. Would a good player really be fazed by that strategy, or would a good player use the two turns that the Doom Desire strategy requires to set up their own plan? I don't believe your Sableye example fits the bill of what you're trying to explain; the threat of Sableye Recovering and Burning is very real, and good players recognize and fear it the same way they recognize and fear powerful sweepers such as Mega Pinsir and Latios. What I don't like about this concept is that just about every Pokemon's psychological threat is less than its actual, tangible threat.

SubwayJ (INTERROBANG) - This seems like a disguised "jack of all trades" Pokemon. We'd obviously have to design a Pokemon with multiple roles, probably with three roles at least in order to achieve the amount of unpredictability the concept requires. Furthermore, it's not fair to say that no Pokemon has fit your concept in any tier, a few examples do come to mind. Mew in Gen V UU could literally be a Swords Dance sweeper, Nasty Plotter, wall, Baton Passer, or even a Calm Minder. In Gen VI, there's the obvious Arceus in Ubers example. I will admit that unpredictability is not as prevalent in Gen VI OU as other current and previous metagames, but I'm not convinced that we need to create a Pokemon to study the importance of unpredictability.

alexwolf (Knock Off Punisher) - Knock Off is a great move in this generation, but it's really only seen on a handful of Pokemon right now. Mandibuzz, Bisharp and Conkeldurr are the top users of it, obviously, and you'll see the occasional Gliscor, Landorus, Azumarill, or Scizor packing it. Teams generally don't carry more than one Knock Off user, as well. Furthermore, so many Mega Pokemon already punish Knock Off users. Mega Pinsir, On the other hand, the multitude of examples you have in your explanation really elucidate the directions this concept could go, and Knock Off is one of the best moves in Pokemon right now. I'm not entirely sure Knock off needs an entire CAP dedicated to it, but it's definitely a worthy thought,

Facepalmboook (Bad Ability?) - How do you intend for something inherently bad (a negative Ability) to be a Pokemon's strongest weapon. I can understand a Pokemon overcoming a bad Ability such as Defeatist, but I don't see this concept working because most negative Abilities are banned and because it is nigh impossible to turn a hindrance into a strength. Given the state of our Ability banlist, I do not believe this is a feasible concept for the CAP.

colourcodedchaos (What Might Have Been) - At the moment, there is no NU tier. The tiers below UU are still being sorted out, and it's not reasonable to look at Gen V's NU list because the metagame has changed so much over the generation. Although translating a role from a separate metagame is a reasonable concept, the Gen VI lower tiers are just too volatile/unexplored to be the template for a concept right now.

Redwolf (Terrain Control) - Are you looking for a Pokemon that can set up one specific terrain, or a Pokemon that can set up and succeed under multiple Terrains? Although the Terrains are definitely underappreciated because of their awful distribution, is it possible to make the Terrains relevant in Singles? The Terrains really seem like field effects intended to be used by multiple Pokemon at once. A problem with your Explanation is that Fidgit's Ability, Persistent, wouldn't be allowed on something like CAP1 since there is a ban on custom Abilities. I also question the viability of Electric Terrain as you described it, as two of the three OU Electric-types (Rotom-W and Thundurus) are not affected by the Terrain. The other two Terrains are definitely cool, but are 5 turns of a largely marginal boost worthy of a CAP? I would like to see more explanation of why Misty/Grassy Terrain can become prevalent strategies if your concept was selected.

kpatable (The Switching Guru) - Switching is definitely an important concept in Pokemon, but is it possible to create a Pokemon whose main quality is the ability to switch? You can't win a game of Pokemon without selecting attacks, and all things being equal a Pokemon would rather attack or set up than switch. When a player makes a move, they usually do so to force the opponent to switch or take significant damage next turn. In terms of having the opponent switch, there are numerous Pokemon in this metagame (and every metagame) that force switches. Users of Volt Switch and U-Turn are great because they let the user switch and almost always force the opponent switch the next turn. I don't understand how we can build a Pokemon whose premier quality is the ability to switch and force switches, or at least I don't understand how we would learn about switching specifically with this concept. I'd like to see more explanation.

LoDart210 (Where do you think you're going?) - This explanation doesn't make a lot of sense. There is not a way to randomize the switching caused by U-Turn and Volt Switch without resorting to custom options. There's no question that U-Turn and Volt Switch are popular moves, and for good reason. Could you explain further how you intend to punish users of the moves, especially when most U-Turn and Volt Switch users have numerous other options to punish their supposed counters?

Ununhexium (Check This Out) -This seems like the opposite of Krilowatt's Utility Counter, as we want to make a Pokemon capable of checking dozens of Pokemon but countering only a few. For your explanation, you should talk more about whether you think a Pokemon like this already exists in the OU metagame or another metagame, what we would learn about the OU metagame by realizing this concept, and how you think we can accomplish your concept. This idea has promise, but there's a lot of work to be done in the explanation.

DarkSlay (Swiss Army Knife) - This is a very broad concept, but it seems possible to accomplish. If I understand what you're saying, you want a Pokemon that runs different sets based on what sort of team it's on. Although there are definitely Pokemon in the current metagame that fulfill this role, CAP could still build a Pokemon that works much differently than the Swiss Army Knives that already exist.

Toa Tahu (Glue) - A lot of "glue"-like concepts have already been proposed, and reading yours makes me believe you wish to create a top-tier utility Pokemon. There's definitely room in OU for another pure utility Pokemon, and it'd be interesting to see a utility Pokemon that doesn't behave in the same way Pokemon like Skarmory and Excadrill do. I'd like to see a little more discussion about what "glue" is in your concept? Is hazard control what you're looking for in a "glue" Pokemon ,or are there other ways to create a Pokemon that fulfills your concept?

Clankenator007 (Onslaught) - I really like this concept. We'd get to study which Pokemon could work well in a "Double <Sweeper>" core, and we know this can lead to a successful product because so many Onslaught cores have existed in past metagames. With the advent of Mega Evolution, it'd be interesting to see if we could design a partner in crime for a Mega sweeper. Reading your explanation, I think you should take a side as to whether or not you want to build an onslaught core or create a Pokemon intended to stop one that already exists; it's a bit of a hedged bet otherwise. If you clean that up, this concept shows a lot of promise.

Birkal (Fully Uncompetitive) - I have mixed feelings towards this concept. One one hand, we'd likely spend the Concept Assessment defining competitiveness and move forward by violating that definition as best we can. That's definitely a worthy endeavor, but at the moment Smogon itself has refused to define the most contentious term in Pokemon. Furthermore, Smogon has been less than consistent in banning Pokemon for "uncompetitive" reasons, producing reasons such as "does its job too well" and "reduces the game to a coinflip". There's definitely a lot to learn with this concept, but nailing down definitions during Concept Assessment is a massive task.

Srn9130 (The Ultimate Trapper) - Trapping has had its time in the sun, but as Pokemon have gotten stronger and less susceptible to trapping the strategy has fallen out of favor. It would be interesting to try to revive that strategy, although we can't go the Shadow Tag route for obvious reasons. Your concept is well-fleshed out and I like the number of angles you approach it from; trapping is definitely a worthy cause to move forward with.

Thought I'd try my hand at this, please be gentle ;A;

Name - Transform and Roll Out

Description - A Pokémon which can effectively make use of the move Transform in a competitive set.

Justification - From a competitive point of view, Transform is a very obscure move. Its abysmal distribution, combined with the fact that its only hypothetical users (Mew, Smeargle, and Ditto) have other options which they are much more suited to use, means it is almost never seen in the OU environment.
A pokémon which is able to make use of Transform on an otherwise standard set could be a very versatile threat and act as a fantastic scout for its user.

Questions to be answered -
How would the presence of a pokémon which can Transform, but won't necessarily do so, affect prediction?
Which roles could fit Transform into their movesets - Would this pokémon act as a wall, a sweeper or a support pokémon when in its normal state?
What benefits does a Transformer bring to its user?
What affects would such a pokémon have on team building?

Explanation - Transform's current distribution is limited to Smeargle, Mew, and Ditto. All three of these pokémon provide completely unique benefits to a team that no other pokémon can bring. A lot of their moves, Transform being one, end up being lesser-used.
By making a pokémon who actively wants to be packing Transform on its main sets while remaining viable in its regular form, I believe that we can make a pokémon which is highly versatile and adaptable.

Name: Scarf Is Not Dead

Description: A pokemon that is a very effective user of a Choice Scarf in the current metagame, and and that is defined by its usage of Choice Scarf.

Justification: With the rise of priority and naturally fast pokemon in XY, Choice Scarf, once one of the best items in the game, is now barely ever seen. There is practically no reason to use, for example, a Scarf Keldeo when you could have a powerful priority user or fast pokemon with the ability to change moves instead. This project would allow us to explore one of the biggest changes in the new metagame, which would be very interesting and useful going into XY.

-How has the importance of speed changed in X and Y?
-What factors affect the usefulness of an item?
-What aspects of a pokemon will make it an ideal user of a choice item, particularly scarf?
-What qualities would make a pokemon willing to sacrifice its ability to change moves for extra speed?
-How will the metagame adapt to the addition of a new revenge killer? (assuming that the scarfer will be used primarily as a revenge killer)

Explanation:
In Black and White, a Choice Scarf user was mandatory on every offensive team. Even some stall teams found a team slot to fit a scarfer in. Choice Scarf was by far the best way to revenge kill in BW, as there was far less priority and very few pokemon broke the 110 speed tier. However, this has all gone out the window in X and Y. Priority is everywhere, with new additions such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Mega-Pinsir combined with the newfound power of old abusers like Bisharp and Azumarill. There are also many new additions with incredibly high speed, such as Greninja and Mega-Manectric, and Deoxys-S, the fastest of them all, has returned to OU as well. Even Thundurus-I has joined in the revenge killing frenzy with its priority Thunder Wave allowing it to ruin almost every setup sweeper. With all these options, there is virtually no reason to use a choice scarfer today. This project would allow us to explore what qualities would make a Choice Scarf user equally or more desirable than any of these, and also to gain a new understanding of the item itself. Given the extreme importance of revenge killing, I think that these would all be very useful subjects to explore.

The second qualification in the description - that the pokemon be defined by Choice Scarf - is there to make sure the CAP will not just be a generally good pokemon that can use a Choice Scarf well (Keldeo, Landorus), but a pokemon that is good only with scarf and otherwise mediocre. Think Genesect in very early B2W2 before people started using Rock Polish, but less broken obviously.

I understand that there could be some concern about how focused my concept is on studying a single item. My idea was that, through studying Choice Scarf, we could gain understanding of not just the item itself, but of a lot of other changes that have come with XY - particularly the greater emphasis on momentum and the change in speed's importance in OU. This concept would let us see at what point it is optimal to potentially risk momentum in order to achieve greater speed, what changes in the importance of speed have occurred (I can't make this much more specific because I'm not sure what the answer is), and what other pokemon a Choice Scarfer would be competing for a teamslot with. I feel that these are great opportunities to learn about the metagame, particularly early in the generation.

Edited with Pwnemon and DetroitLolCat's suggestions

Last edited:
Thought I'd try my hand at this, please be gentle ;A;

Name - Transform and Roll Out

Description - A Pokémon which can effectively make use of the move Transform in a competitive set.

Justification - From a competitive point of view, Transform is a very obscure move. Its abysmal distribution, combined with the fact that its only hypothetical users (Mew, Smeargle, and Ditto) have other options which they are much more suited to use, means it is almost never seen in the OU environment.
A pokémon which is able to make use of Transform on an otherwise standard set could be a very versatile threat and act as a fantastic scout for its user.

Questions to be answered -
How would the presence of a pokémon which can Transform, but won't necessarily do so, affect prediction?
Which roles could fit Transform into their movesets - Would this pokémon act as a wall, a sweeper or a support pokémon when in its normal state?
What benefits does a Transformer bring to its user?
What affects would such a pokémon have on team building?

Explanation - Transform's current distribution is limited to Smeargle, Mew, and Ditto. All three of these pokémon provide completely unique benefits to a team that no other pokémon can bring. A lot of their moves, Transform being one, end up being lesser-used.
By making a pokémon who actively wants to be packing Transform on its main sets while remaining viable in its regular form, I believe that we can make a pokémon which is highly versatile and adaptable.
I don't think this could make us learn in any way. There's absolutely no way of doing something different with transform, as it transforms the Pokemon to match completely the stats of the opponent's pokemon, except for HP. There wouldn't be much discussion, as it would limitate to defining the Pokemon's ability and HP.
(Btw, didn't want to be hard or anything, this is just what I think)

I also agree with Torterra, but I think you could change it into illusion instead of transform. It could start more discussion over how to make it useful.
(Not trying to be rude)
The submission rules mention not to include specific Abilities in the name or justification, and if I recall correctly, Illusion is on the Ability Banlist.

I expanded on my concept and made it a little cleaner, so if any of you out there liked it you should go check it out again.

As for the other concepts here, I really like Birkal's Fully Uncompetitive, alexwolf's Knock Off Punisher, colorcodedchaos's What Might Have Been, and The Pizza Man's Nostalgic Playstyle.

Fully Uncompetitive and the Knock Off Punisher are both really relevant to today's OU meta and I'd really like to see them fleshed out. I find Knock Off especially obnoxious (hell, more so than SwagPlay) and find myself fitting one of the three major Justified mons (Lucario, Terrakion, Cobalion) onto my teams just to combat it. A CAP dedicated to punishing it's use sounds especially enticing.

From more of a fun point of view, WMHB and the Nostalgic Playstyle sound awesome. Gen 3 baton pass chains from hell Gen 1 Normal type offense anyone? For WMHB BW Super Jynx an OU viable Rest Talker sounds really fun!

I've also seen a lot of submissions concerning the underused field moves, and for those I say this:
I wish we could feasibly make these viable, but I just don't think that anything we could do would ever make these OU worthy. I really like the idea of promoting the use of stuff like terrain, Trick Room, Gravity, etc, but it's not happening without a custom auto-setting ability, and since gen V we've tried to not introduce any custom abilities or moves. Believe me, I love the idea of Trick Room. Nobody wants CB Ramparados to be OU viable more than this guy right here, but alas, these 5 turn field moves are much more better suited to doubles than the unforgiving OU enviroment.

Thought I'd give this a go despite this being late in the thread and this being my first post. Hopefully it won't get buried as any feedback would be appreciated.

Name: Less is More

General Description: A Pokemon that is thoroughly outclassed by a mega evolution, but is still great to use because of the limiting factor of one mega evolution per team.

Justification: Pokemon are often scoffed at for being outclassed by another. But these Pokemon are not necessarily unusable if the metagame's rules provide a restriction on the outclassing Pokemon. One that immediately comes to mind is that Kyogre hugely outclasses Politoed, but the ban on Ubers in the OU metagame makes Politoed viable.

In other metagames, there might be a restriction on how many Ubers one can use on their team (typically one). In this case, one might forgo something like Shaymin-S and instead use Tornadus-T, so that they can use, say, Arceus. Although we haven't imposed that kind of restriction on ourselves, Nintendo has imposed something similar on us: You can only mega evolve one Pokemon per match.

This concept intends to explore the sacrifices that are necessarily made in choosing a Mega Evolution. The limit of one Mega per team is, again, a limit. Therefore, the option to use an outclassed Pokemon to facilitate the usage of a different Mega is one that I think could increase teambuilding options. Many of the new Megas also have rather unique niches, such as Mega Banette, but are left behind for better Megas. Using an outclassed - but still viable - Pokemon to free up a Mega slot on one's team therefore also opens up many potential unexplored niches. It might even potentially be paired with the original Mega to tear holes in the opposition, overwhelming checks and counters, similar to Rayquaza and Salamence. It would be interesting to see how such a Pokemon could function with different teammates.

Questions to be Answered:
  • What does it mean to be outclassed?
  • To what extent does the "one mega per team" limit teambuilding? Could it actually free up teambuilding?
  • Specifically, what sacrifices have to be considered in using a outclassed mon? Sacrifices using the outclassing Mega?
  • Is it better to have the best Pokemon at a particular job and build the team around that, or does the flexibility of using an outclassed Pokemon provide real benefits?
  • Would a metagame with such a Pokemon revolve around figuring out which Megas pair best with this outclassed mon?
Explanation: I don't normally like using "outclassed" to describe Pokemon, as it usually reflects a lack of creativity in finding unique niches for Pokemon. Nevertheless, there are some truly outclassed Pokemon (Persian by Ambipom, Politoed by Kyogre, etc.). In this OU metagame, I've been experimenting with offensive Roserade, which I believe to be largely outclassed by Mega Venusaur, which provides the same coverage and 2HKOs many of the same Pokemon, while possessing huge bulk complemented by its Thick Fat ability. However, if I want to use a different Mega Evolution than Mega Venusaur, then I often find Venusaur's mediocre speed and special attack to be rather underwhelming in comparison to Roserade. However, it is difficult to say offensive Roserade is "good" in the current metagame (although it is certainly viable, and actually rather fun to use), and so we lack a potential example of a Pokemon that could fulfill my concept in Roserade. Drought Ninetales also comes to mind as being "outclassed" by Mega Charizard Y, and provides the niche of supporting a sun team while being able to use a different mega than Mega Charizard Y. But again, Ninetales is hard to consider "good." I'm sure that there are other examples, but many of the Megas are so amazing by themselves that I don't believe the idea of using a outclassed Pokemon instead of a Mega has been thoroughly explored.

Last edited:
Alright, guess I’ll try my hand at some reviews. Here are my two favorite concepts so far:

Birkal: Fully Uncompetitive

I really like this one, as intentionally creating something that is “uncompetitive” will help us understand exactly what that term means and what makes a Mon truly broken, for lack of a better word. This seems especially important at the moment due to many people clamoring for a ban to SwagPlay.

bugmaniacbob: Psychological Warfare

This one also sounds pretty cool. Despite what Pwnemon and nyttyn had to say, I think that all players, even the best, are susceptible to choking on some level. Creating a Pokemon that specializes in making a player feel helpless could teach us about how and why we choke, and if it is a competitively viable strategy to dedicate a role on your team just to get in an opponent’s head.

EDIT: Grammar Check

Last edited:
Apologizing in advance for any redundancy in my concept, as this is my first concept. Welp, here I go.

Name: One Hit Wonder
General Description: An Pokemon that cannot set an certain weather and is immensely powerful under the effects of an certain weather, but is near useless without it.
Justification: Weather was once the dominant playstyle, now it is one of the least utilized. If an risky but rewarding option presented itself, would anyone take it? With this we can see if it is worth it to take an risk.

• To what extent will players go to keep the weather up?
  • Can a team centralized around one Pokemon work efficiently?
  • What kind of strategies will players utilize to counter such an Pokemon?
  • Can weather truly be viable in OU?

Explanation: I feel that an Pokemon with an large amount of power (whether it be defensive or offensive) under any weather is what this metagame needs. Weather is far too risky to be viable this generation and I feel that an Pokemon such as this will allow us to try less used playstyles with more safety.

Name: Item Master

General Description: A Pokemon that, depending on its held item, can effectively fulfill multiple roles on any given team

Justification: There has been a lot of discussion regarding certain pokemon or playstyles, but I think that a commonly overlooked aspect of the metagame are the items that each Pokemon is given. We all know that some items encourage certain playstyles (e.g. Leftovers for almost anything, Life Orb for offense-oriented Pokemon, etc.) and that some Pokemon are known for carrying one or maybe two items at most while only filling a very small number of roles with similar focus (offensive or defensive). However, if a Pokemon were able to change both its item and its role, this could make it very hard to accurately predict how said Pokemon will react. For me, one Pokemon that fits this description is Gen IV Heatran: it could run Scarf and be a great revenge killer with good coverage or with Leftovers/Shuca Berry, it could be a fantastic tank that could phase, burn, and set up rocks. It could even run something like Expert Belt to feign a choice item. This sort of versatility made Heatran very hard to play around, especially considering its typing, ability, and stats. If you brought in a Special wall to take a "Choiced" Heatran's Fire Blast, you could wind up extremely injured due to an Expert Belt Explosion, or take an unexpected burn from a bulky Shuca Berry variant, essentially crippling you for the rest of the game. This versatility made Heatran a very scary threat to try and play around, especially when one doesn't know how it functions with the rest of the team (i.e. its role).

A few Mega Pokemon as well become much harder to predict due to the viability of both their base form and their evolved form (e.g. Garchomp, TTar, Scizor). Thus the item allows for a incorporating a different playstyle into the Pokemon itself (while obviously we can't create Megas, it's just a comparison). These Pokemon show how the versatility of items actually affect playstyles greatly and thus the opponent's reactions to them as well.

-How reliant would this Pokemon be on its item?
-How do moves that change the item of the Pokemon such as Trick and Knock Off affect the viability of this Pokemon? Does the usage of such moves increase with the introduction of an item-dependent Pokemon?
-Do certain stat spreads/typings lead a Pokemon to be more likely to use a specific item?
-What kinds of roles are dependent on items? Made better by items?
-How does the unpredictability of a Pokemon's role affect the opponent's decision-making?
-Would an item-oriented focus on a CAP reveal similar Pokemon who can effectively use such an item?

Explanation: I really just noticed that a lot of people were focusing on specific playstyles or perhaps a new mechanic, but I think that items have been very overlooked in CAP. While it's not directly a Pokemon, creating synergy between a Pokemon's stats/abilities/typing and multiple items could show how underused items interact and excel. Additionally, there have been a myriad of new items introduced in each Generation, with only a few holding lasting impact (Choice Items, LO, MegaStones?). There are definitely some interesting items added within the past few generations that have often been overlooked in favor of the standard items. While I know that there are some items better suited for use than others, I would personally enjoy seeing unused items getting some spotlight time; there have been many interesting items that could see play.

This is my first CAP contribution, and my first time in a long time posting (had an older account). I can clean up the justification a bit if needed (I'm a bit exhausted while typing), but any sort of feedback is appreciated! Thanks for reading and good luck to all.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Apologizing in advance for any redundancy in my concept, as this is my first concept. Welp, here I go.

Name: One Hit Wonder
General Description: An Pokemon that cannot set an certain weather and is immensely powerful under the effects of an certain weather, but is near useless without it.
Justification: Weather was once the dominant playstyle, now it is one of the least utilized. If an risky but rewarding option presented itself, would anyone take it? With this we can see if it is worth it to take an risk.
  • To what extent will players go to keep the weather up?
  • Can a team centralized around one Pokemon work efficiently?
  • What kind of strategies will players utilize to counter such an Pokemon?
  • Can weather truly be viable in OU?

Explanation: I feel that an Pokemon with an large amount of power (whether it be defensive or offensive) under any weather is what this metagame needs. Weather is far too risky to be viable this generation and I feel that an Pokemon such as this will allow us to try less used playstyles with more safety.
this sounds cool but it seems a LOT like what Aurumoth was supposed to be like (and we all know how well that worked out lol). Also, CAP has been through the ins and outs of high risk high reward. All in all, its a cool idea, but it has already been done with slight differences.

I feel that Aurumoth's concept is significantly different from the One Hit Wonder idea. Besides, I would love to see more OU weather usage in Gen VI.

Name: Offensive Defence

General Description: A pokemon that uses offensive attacks or abilities to stall/defend itself.

Justification: The idea here is to create a pokemon that survives through proper prediction and attacking. Most stall pokemon rely on superior typing, defensive stats, recovery, or ability to last against an attacker. In addition they are usually want to use support abilities to aid the team. The idea here is to use a pokemon that, if not used well offensively doesn't function very well, but with proper prediction and attacking, can last a long while. This is different from a bulky pokemon as it depends more on its attacks to last longer, not depend on its bulk or typing to take hits.

-Is it possible to make an offensive stall pokemon that isn't overpowered?
-Would a more offensive stall be harder to play, due to more prediction required?
-Can a stall pokemon be made without traditional stall traits?
-Are there enough tools in the game to make a pokemon tailor made to such an extreme?

Explanation: It might be hard to differentiate this from a full on sweeper, bulky mon, or stall playstyle, but I think this could be a very unique pokemon. There are a plethora of moves available that have secondary effects that aid in the survival of the user. It could survive through things like flinching, draining moves, attacks that lower offensive prowess, attacks that have a very high chance to inflict a status condition, etc. You would have to predict switches well, using attacks that hit switch ins to skew the match in your favour, else you would lose a lot of momentum. For instance, if you were in against a poke that was weak to a draining move, such as drain punch. You could survive one of its hits, hit it hard with drain punch, gain your health back, and all is well. But the opponent instead switches in a speedy ghost type, wasting your attack and leaving you vulnerable. This scenario could be used many ways, and not just with draining moves.

Hope that was enough to make my point clear. If more elaboration is needed, please let me know!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DetroitLolcat said:
alexwolf (Knock Off Punisher) - Knock Off is a great move in this generation, but it's really only seen on a handful of Pokemon right now. Mandibuzz, Bisharp and Conkeldurr are the top users of it, obviously, and you'll see the occasional Gliscor, Landorus, Azumarill, or Scizor packing it. Teams generally don't carry more than one Knock Off user, as well. Furthermore, so many Mega Pokemon already punish Knock Off users. Mega Pinsir, On the other hand, the multitude of examples you have in your explanation really elucidate the directions this concept could go, and Knock Off is one of the best moves in Pokemon right now. I'm not entirely sure Knock off needs an entire CAP dedicated to it, but it's definitely a worthy thought,
There are more viable users of those move than those you mentioned. There is also Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, Sableye, Mega Mawile, Thundurus, and Deoxys-S. All those are OU viable Pokemon that can make good use of Knock Off, and outside of a few MEvos, you can't really prevent or at least discourage the opponent for using Knock Off. Also, it doesn't help that most of the MEvos that can take on the best Knock Off users in OU are defensive (Mega Venusaur and Mega Scizor), because this means that the opponent is not really punished for using Knock Off, just stopped for the moment being, as those Pokemon are really easy to check or counter usually. What i would like us to explore with this concept is if we can make a Pokemon that deals with Knock Off users in the same way that Bisharp deals with Defog users, by turning their very own move against them. Whether we will go about this in a direct (turning Knock Off into an advantage) or an indirect way (just taking advantage of the common Knock Off users) is also a really intriguing and interesting question i think, which also has the potential to let us explore many elements of the game that we know little or nothing about in OU, such as Rattled, Justified, and Unburden.

So, while it is true that Knock Off doesn't have as much of an influence in OU as moves such as Stealth Rock, Defog, Toxic, and U-turn, it still has a pretty big influence for reasons already explained, which is why i think it would be worthy of its own CAP concept.

LoDart210 (Where do you think you're going?) - This explanation doesn't make a lot of sense. There is not a way to randomize the switching caused by U-Turn and Volt Switch without resorting to custom options. There's no question that U-Turn and Volt Switch are popular moves, and for good reason. Could you explain further how you intend to punish users of the moves, especially when most U-Turn and Volt Switch users have numerous other options to punish their supposed counters?

When I was talking about randomizing the switch, my mind was on moves like roar and whirlwind.

After reading your post I though more about my concept, and felt like extending it to deal with the increased physical presence of the meta game, but I felt that was too broad because then the answer would be, make a defensive mon tailored to wall the premier physical threats in the meta game which I don't think is a very fun idea for a CAP, or even worth considering.

So back to my original premise, about countering volt turning. How about a Pokemon with a typing that resists the two moves and has an ability similar to the item red card, but limited to attack switch moves (including parting shot). The idea being f a Pokemon uses those moves, then it is automatically subjected to a roar/whirlwind effect.

Hopefully I haven't placed any specific qualities (so that I don't Break the rules) there are many typing possibilities and a Pokemon of any role would appreciate such an ability.

EDIT: thanks to TooMuchSugar I now know ability creation is illegal, so instead I suggest a Pokemon with a typing to resist the two moves and the ability to take advantage of moves like roar, whirlwind, circle throw, or dragon tail

Last edited:
When I was talking about randomizing the switch, my mind was on moves like roar and whirlwind.

After reading your post I though more about my concept, and felt like extending it to deal with the increased physical presence of the meta game, but I felt that was too broad because then the answer would be, make a defensive mon tailored to wall the premier physical threats in the meta game which I don't think is a very fun idea for a CAP, or even worth considering.

So back to my original premise, about countering volt turning. How about a Pokemon with a typing that resists the two moves and has an ability similar to the item red card, but limited to attack switch moves (including parting shot). The idea being f a Pokemon uses those moves, then it is automatically subjected to a roar/whirlwind effect.

Hopefully I haven't placed any specific qualities (so that I don't Break the rules) there are many typing possibilities and a Pokemon of any role would appreciate such an ability.
That would be a very cool ability, but unfortunately the creation of new abilities (and moves) is disallowed in CAP for a variety of reasons. Roar and Whirlwind, or Dragon Tail / Circle Throw, are probably your best bets to make this concept work. Combined with a Volt Switch immunity and a Bug resistance, I could see this working.

Name: Lead Neutralizer
General Description: A pokemon meant solely for the purpose of defeating, incapacitating or using the opponents lead for its own benefit.
Justification: This pokemon is meant to use strategies such as using the weak leads to setup or throws back the hazards and statuses.
In this gen, we have many leads wreaking havoc. Smeargle, deoxys-all formes and who can forget the electric spider Galvy. Most of them rely on focus sashes and apply hazards or status. ( Klefki and Sableye with swagger)These hazardous pokemon often shatter many teams at the start. This pokemon will help mediate the damage done by the leads. It does not need to be the lead. It can come in afterwards and turn the tables over the opposition.
-
Out of the numerous possibilities for a lead mon how do you evaluate which to counter.
- How do you classify a pokemon as a potential lead?
- With team preview certain not solely leads based team change their lead depending on the opponents team. How do you counter them?

Explanation: Here one thing is to be clarified that if I only wanted to convey a message to harm the so-much-in-use-leads who depend upon certain leads-only moves than I would have done it with a magic bounce espeon.
But the thing here is that in the metagame we need to understand that the slightly weak, extremely powerful or weak to common hazards are chosen as lead.
Team preview also changes the lead selection for hyper offensive teams.
THis pokemon should know to counter or atleast incapacitate that pokemon. ( We wont find lead Snorlaxes or Aggrons or Garchomps or Scizors in most situations)

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Uncommonly Typed Wall

General Description: A Pokemon that uses a type or combination of types that are not seen as defensive in a defensive manner.

Justification: Given that this new generation has changed up how the type chart works, I think that using the first CAP to explore the new chart would be a neat idea. Given how some CAPs in the past have focused on how to adapt unique strengths of types for more offensive purposes, I figure why not try see if we could make a defensive one this time. Most types in Pokemon tend to be biased in how stats are distributed, examples being bulky water and grass types and most fire-types being offensive in nature. Despite this, some of the types have fairly good resistances but tend to lack good defensive candidates to showcase this. I think it would be worth it to explore possibilities in how some of these lesser used types could hold up if we were to play on their resistances to build a nice wall.

Questions to be answered:
- How well would some of the types that tend to not get defensive Pokemon perform in that role.
- How well would certain type combinations play off each other in terms of defensive capabilities?
- How much could typing affect how a pokemon performs certain roles?

Explanation: Even if the rules allowed it, I would still not specify anything related to typing or the physical/special spectrum due to how restrictive either would be to this concept. (detroitlolcat said it was fine to give examples to further point out what I mean.) There are a lot of different ways this could be built, and that's not even taking into consideration what it could be doing to the enemy Pokemon while it parks itself in front of it. Plus it would be a rare defensive CAPmon, for the meta humor. EDIT: A few ideas on examples that haven't been seen yet would include pairing Normal with a type that resists fighting could also be an interesting idea as Normal/Psychic and Normal/Ghost would enjoy the ghost immunity (the latter having a lone weakness to Dark.) Also, even though I consider it to be one of the derpiest type combos ever, there is merit to Psychic/Dark as a walling type, which has an immunity to psychic, 4x weakness to bug, and a 2x weakness to fairy. (Derpiest combo because Psychic's resistance to Fighting-types neutralizes Dark's weakness to them, and it's weakness to Dark and Ghost is similarly neutralized by Dark's resistance to those types.) On Mono-types, the type that really got me thinking about this was Mono-Fire, which has 6 resistances, including steel and fairy to make it inherently a nice check to Mega Mawile.

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, time for page 3. Remember that PMing and IRC are great ways to get even more feedback on your concept (I'm going to respond to some PMs after I post this). I'll post some more general comments with my next feedback post, as well.

Qwilphish (Not Vary Riksy) - This is a pretty cool concept. There are so many examples of Pokemon that are invaluable to a team, even though they have little chance of winning the game on their own. Although this doesn't necessarily have to be a "glue" Pokemon (often a glue Pokemon is critical to the success of a team), it would be a fun exercise to build a Pokemon with a low ceiling rather than something we intend to define its own metagame. This concept seems open-ended enough to work, and personally I believe we'd have a very fun time creating this Pokemon. I'd like to see some more examples of non-pivot or non-glue Pokemon that fulfill your concept, or an explanation of why none exist if you don't believe any do. Other than that, this concept seems fun to execute.

TheTraininator (The Pacifist) - In a previous generation, I wouldn't give this concept much thought. However, with the advent of Pokemon like Skarmory running four-support move sets I'm not convinced that this concept is unfeasible. I am concerned that we're forcing ourselves into a very, very specific role with an all-defense Pokemon, especially since there's only a handful of non-attacking moves to go around. Do you think this concept is conducive to an enjoyable creation? We'd be locking ourselves out of an entire step in the process (Movepool Submissions), and our stats would be rather pre-determined.

GemOftheDay (Pick your Poison) - If a Pokemon's goal is to stop one Pokemon and only one Pokemon, then why does it need two ways to beat it? I understand the point of a two-pronged Pokemon; there are plenty of Pokemon in just about every metagame that can run two very different sets. Lucario before the ban in OU, Charizard right now, Swirlix in LC, Kyogre in Ubers, etc. Although building a two-pronged attacker is nothing new to CAP (Aurumoth, anyone?), what's important about making sure both Pokemon counter one Pokemon or one specific aspect of the metagame. It just seems like an unnecessary complication to an otherwise reasonable concept.

Lasagne (Parting Shot Pivot) - This pivot concept sets itself apart from the group because it's based on one of the most interesting moves introduced this generation. Parting Shot, much like Sticky Web and even Water Shuriken, definitely has promise in this metagame. With all of the setup sweepers running around OU, a Parting Shot Pivot would have no problems finding use in this tier. I like this concept, it's definitely something worth exploring.

Valmanway (Powerful Off-the-Bat Mixed Attacker) - Essentially, this concept intends to make a wallbreaker. My primary concern with this concept is that I'm not sure if it's possible to better than Kyurem-Black at that role. I'd like to see some more Explanation about why this metagame needs a Powerful Off-the-Bat Mixed Attacker, specifically what the current Pokemon fulfilling that role fail to do.

Cretacerus (The Nature of Types) - This is an interesting concept to explore, but I'm not sure how enjoyable a project this concept would be. Since we're essentially building a Pokemon that captures the essence of its typing, we have little to do after the Typing Discussion closes. We'll be choosing Abilities, Stats, and Moves that fit the stereotypes of a Pokemon's typing. That would make for pretty narrow discussion; we're essentially deciding the majority of the CAP two discussions into the project. Although removing the element of surprise from a Pokemon is an interesting idea, I'm not sure if this concept is right for the CAP project.

Dragonblaze052 (Folly of our Fathers) - I like this idea a lot. There are numerous directions to go with this concept, from looking at a Pokemon that fell far out of OU to a Pokemon that was too good for the tier. There are many "bring X back" concepts that have been proposed throughout CAP's history, but what separates this one from the others is that we can translate a role from something recently banned. We can try to recreate a recent metagame or understand what OU would be like if a poor Pokemon with a great strategy was more usable. Game Freak has given us a lot of ideas and strategies, but obviously they can't balance them all and let them all be viable in Smogon's OU metagame (that would be impossible). This concept, although its process could end up being a lot like Cawmodore's, has a lot of promise.

ParaGoomba348 (The Giver-Taker) - Do you think it's possible to create a Pokemon that combines bulk and mixed attacking well? If so, are you expecting a Pokemon that is both mixed attacking and supportive at the same time? I'd like to see in your explanation whether or not you think a Pokemon like this exists at the moment and some more specifics about what you want to do with this concept.

Agile Turtle (Pivot Predator) - You mention that you wish to defeat the opponent's U-Turner or Volt Switcher, but how do you actually intend to land the KO after you've trapped them? Motor Drive, Rattled, and Flame Body seem like a good start towards defeating U-Turners and Volt Switchers, but can we make a Pokemon equipped to defeat the Pokemon that commonly use Turn and Switch? Pivot countering is definitely a worthy endeavor so far, but it's also probably the most-submitted idea so far. This concept is very similar to LoDart210's, although this one is a bit more fleshed-out than that one.

LudicrousLugia (Stall vs Stall) - Do you think a defensive stallbreaker exists in the current metagame? I'd like to see in your Explanation a general idea of how you think this concept could be accomplished, as usually it's difficult to outstall a stall team. Although there are definitely Pokemon with defensive capabilities that are capable of playing defense (Gliscor in Gen V comes to mind), is it still possible to defeat stall teams with a defensive Pokemon? More importantly, is stall still prevalent enough in the current OU metagame to merit a CAP, especially one with the restriction you proposed?

EyeDentist (Weakness Policy Abuser) - Do you think it's possible to fit a Weakness Policy user in with the Build Triangle? A Pokemon made to take super-effective hits will undoubtedly be Bulky, will likely have to be Fast to hit its opponents, and the WP will make this Pokemon Powerful. I'd like to see some more explanation about what makes a good Weakness Policy user, why the Pokemon would use Weakness Policy rather than something like Leftovers or Life Orb, and how you intend to preserve the Pokemon's balance.

deathsnake951 (Wonder Room) - I'm not convinced that Wonder Room is a viable strategy for a Pokemon, and it's definitely not something you can build a team around. Wonder Room can allow a sweeper to break a wall, sure, but it's one of the easiest moves to play around in the game. It takes a turn to set up, meaning tat the opponent can just switch to a Pokemon that can wall the Wonder Room Pokemon. Every time Wonder Room eliminates a wall, it creates another opponent who can wall the Wonder Roomer. Wonder Room has plenty of distribution, but it doesn't see use in any metagame because it's just not competitive. It would take an amazing Explanation in your concept to convince me otherwise.

ganj4lF (Revenge Killer, v6.0) - What can we learn about the metagame by building a Revenge Killer? Throughout the history of Pokemon, revenge killers have existed. As we've transitioned from DPP to BW2 to XY, the revenge killer role has gone from Choice Scarfer to priority abuser. Revenge killing has probably been one of the most explored roles in the history of Pokemon, and I'm not sure if there's much to learn by creating a revenge killer. Your explanation shows a lot of knowledge about how revenge killing exists in the current metagame, and most competitive players understand just about every type of revenge killer in the game. This is definitely a Pokemon we could build and have a fun time building, but I'm not sure if your concept would lead to a product that would teach us about the OU metagame.

Pata Hikari (Role Swapper) - This concept is pretty interesting, it puts an interesting spin on the over-submitted "two-pronged attacker" concept. One issue I have with this concept is that it puts a lot of emphasis on the Ability Discussion and not much emphasis anywhere else. We wouldn't have much of a Concept Assessment because the entire focal point of the concept is in the Ability stages. Since we can't pre-determine our Abilities, most discussion before the Ability discussions would be pretty pointless. This is an interesting spin on an otherwise cliche idea, but I don't believe the CAP process is meant to handle a concept like this.

wiithepeople (The Frail Sponge) - I like this idea. This CAP would let us explore ways to take a certain strategy out of commission. There are a million different strategies in the current OU metagame from burn-spreading to Flying spam to Ghost spam. It would be interesting to see CAP come together, target a certain strategy, and find a way to counter it without becoming a utility counter or a catch-all wall. I'd like to see some more relevant examples from current and/or past metagames in your Explanation, though. I'd like to know why the CAP community should want to build this concept, because it's very promising.

capefeather (Hunting Beast) - This seems difficult to pull off, but definitely possible. We'd have to pinpoint exactly what Pokemon we expect to counter and quantify how much "exactly one Pokemon on a team" really is. In fact, I believe quantifying the number of Pokemon we expect to counter might be the most difficult part of this project. We'd definitely have a fun (but tense!) Concept Assessment. From there, it seems we'd be trying to counter those and only those Pokemon. This concept seems pretty similar to Arghonaut's Decentralizer in that we'll be picking a few threats in OU (likely top-tier threats) and countering them. This concept seems very difficult to accomplish, but could teach us plenty about the metagame whether or not it succeeds.

HeaLnDeaL (Status Prevention) - There are many Pokemon, sweepers and otherwise, immune to various status effects in OU. It's not particularly difficult to make a Pokemon immune to Poison, Burn, most common Sleep moves, or Paralysis (especially in Generation VI). Looking at some of OU's powerhouses, Charizard is immune to Burn, Aegislash is immune to Poison and barely cares about Paralysis, Heatran stops the two most common statuses in the book, and Conkeldurr makes status into an advantage (although I admit it doesn't do what your concept states). Status has existed since the dawn of Pokemon and has been prevalent in just about every metagame ever to have existed. I'm not sure what we're going to learn by making one more Pokemon that happens to do a little better against status than the average one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)