Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blissey, Cloyster, and Whimsicott are all pretty decent, but Luxray is a Pokemon I really wished was better. Thus, my vote is for Electric/Dark Luxray.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here are the results:

Water Shuriken Cloyster: 25
Defog Whimsicott: 11
Electric / Dark Luxray: 31
Scald Blissey: 4

So, our winner is:

+ Dark typing

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'm not sure if this is the best set, but honestly I can't think of much to do with Luxray

Luxray @ Choice Band / Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Volt Switch / Fire Fang / Ice Fang / Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Iron Tail / Wild Charge

Its new typing and pseudo-bulk with Intimidate let it come in on some physical attacks. Guts is a good option on Luxray. Volt Switch is there for a good momentum move, although replace it with a coverage move such as Ice Fang and Fire Fang is good. Wild Charge is an option here too, although I don't think Wild Charge is at all necessary since Crunch is a better STAB move imo. Speaking of which, Crunch is a good STAB move. Superpower is there for coverage, and Iron Tail hits all those pesky Fairy-types which resist your Dark / Fight combo. However, Wild Charge is also a good option here, as Electric hits all of the fairies neutral (except Dedenne and Whimsicott, which aren't huge threats in the metagame anyways and Dedenne is hit neutrally by Iron Tail anyways) and some SE (Even some that Iron Tail can't hit such as Azumarill).

Last edited:
Someone please explain to me what Luxray does that Drapion can't do.
It looks 100000x times better
Luxray brings an Electric-typing, giving it a resist to the ever common Flying-types. Plus it has Intimidate and access to Volt Switch.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Someone please explain to me what Luxray does that Drapion can't do.
There's actually a fair bit, having Steel, Electric, and Flying resistances, allowing better walling capabilities against threats such as Aegislash, Choice locked Talonflame, and Bisharp than Drapion (despite being weak to their coverage, unlike Drapion, and not having as good overall bulk, but that's the trade-off), as well as having Intimidate for the prior two, or possible Guts so he can keep Will-O-Wispers and Toxicers in check. Yes, I said Toxicers, that's a word now. He also doesn't have to rely on an ability to dish out damage (Guts is nice, but not exactly mandatory). And personally, I think the Intimidate/Assault Vest combo has some potential, since it doesn't require as many EVs for bulk.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Intimidate+Volt-Switch and a new Dark typing to abuse Crunch with is a nice buff, and resisting the oh so common Flying, Ghost, Electric, Steel, and Dark attacking types, making for a decent pivot. Superpower is also interesting, covering quite a bit of threats such as Tyarnitar. Overall, I think that the set The Reptile posted is the best, as it makes it pretty nice Pivot.

I think this is the best potential Luxray set

Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Superpower / Ice Fang
- Volt Switch

With an Adamant nature, Luxray outspeeds everything up to (and including) max Speed base 112s (up to and including base 128s with a Jolly nature). Wild Charge is your obvious main STAB. STAB on Crunch has some nice perks, like being able to guarantee an OHKO on Gengar. Superpower hits Steels harder than your STAB options, and is also a clean OHKO on Bisharp, who could cause problems after getting an Attack boost with Defiant. Ice Fang can hit Dragon, Gliscor, and Landorus that otherwise cause problems. What's really fun is Volt Switch; while it doesn't do much damage, it's great for scouting (You could opt to run a Naughty or Lonely nature or even some SAtk EVs to power it up).

What I find notable about Luxray in general is that it counters Talonflame completely. It takes around half damage from Adamant Banded Brave Bird. The only thing it has to fear it Flare Blitz, and even that's only a 69% chance to OHKO (and Scarfed Luxray outspeeds Talonflame anyway). It can also have some fun with Aegislash, doing around 65% to max HP shield forme, and a clean OHKO on blade. It doesn't fear being revenge killed by Shadow Sneak thanks to its new typing, although Sacred Sword usually OHKOs, and it has to watch out for King's Shield.

An Assault Vest set could also be fun, or even a physically defensive one with something like Roar, Thunder Wave, Crunch, and Volt Switch.

Here's some calculations (I did take the new STAB on Crunch into account):

Offensive:
252+ Atk Luxray Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 192-228 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Luxray Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 404-476 (135.5 - 159.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Luxray Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 212-252 (50 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Luxray Crunch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 182-216 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive (the +1 Atk is for Pokemon that used Swords Dance and took an Intimidate, or Defiant in Bisharp's case):
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 143-168 (47.5 - 55.8%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 72-86 (23.9 - 28.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 165-195 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 132-156 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 89-105 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 3HKO

With Crunch, Luxray has a more reliable way of getting past Ground types in the form of Crunch, yet I think he will be using Pivot sets just due to the ease of their simplicity (like AV sets really).

I would like to bring the Guts set up as it was his trademark set if I remember right. With the addition. Of a new STAB, Luxrqy can live longer due to no longer needing to rely solely on Wild Charge. This hampered Luxray immensely as he would be racking up entry hazard damage and recoil along with status, making his output manageable depending on how well your hazard power was.

Now he sadly relies on the fang moves for coverage, but after a guts boost, they will deal signifigant damage to the opposition. Ice fang is best as it covers what fire does while Superpower will cover the steels ice could only dream of hitting.

Now while guts isn't the best idea for some, they can easily put the Choice Band set to use. Same damage, longer life, less mobility in move choices.

How I see Luxray, it will come down to being a defensively mon or an attacker who utilizes its new bulk to gain the upper hand on its foes. If it does it differently, then I love it. If not, it is what it is.

The problem with Luxray is that Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Aegislash, and Deoxys-S all maul it with the appropriate coverage move which makes it a bad switch-in to all of these threats. I guess it can check these threats, but there are a lot of Pokemon which can check these threats. The fact that it doesn't really counter anything limits its usefulness.

The problem with Luxray is that Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Aegislash, and Deoxys-S all maul it with the appropriate coverage move which makes it a bad switch-in to all of these threats. I guess it can check these threats, but there are a lot of Pokemon which can check these threats. The fact that it doesn't really counter anything limits its usefulness.
On a physically defensive set, it is capable of surviving 2 sacred sword, 2 superpower, 2 flare blitz safely while being able to OHKO the latter2, and the former if in Blade form. Mega pinsir is checked by balloon variants with thunder wave. Note that all these top tier threats are handled with a single set, with 252/252+/4 bulk investment, with either air balloon, leftovers or av for items.

I really think this will be mediocre
Not that bad but not that good. A pivot set might work like a pseudo-landorus-therian, but with no stealth rocks and no 4 times weakness. Fewer immunities limit it's usefulness as it's weak to the omnipresent earthquake that everyone packed for Aegislash. And it's weak to u-turn, a common pivoting move. However with fighting nerfed, it should be able to counter more threats

Dark typing now means that luxray has a hard time switching in on bird teams- mega pinsir always would be too risky for him even with a pure electric typing due to EQ, but now talonflame gains a supereffective u-turn and staraptor gains a supereffective close combat. Defensively dark is not really that good a typing imo, although this luxray ofc has a good shot against bisharp due to resisting both stabs. however bisharp can 2hko on the switch with an iron head -> knock off combo, or if he decides to use low kick he can ohko luxray. Speed ties and luxray's tendency to invest in bulk makes it an even shakier check seeing as a bisharp is one of those weird base 70s who actually enjoys investing in speed.

Honestly defensively I think this guy doesnt quite meet the mark, but offensively I guess he could add crunch onto one of his movesets. Air balloon sounds quite interesting, but really I wish his movepool was a little bigger

I'm definitely going to experiment with intimidate cores on volt/turn teams, and I can see that being hilariously fun, and his new typing gives him better switch in opportunities, but defensive sets I feel will need to be tested to be effectively judged. Shutting down Deo cores single handedly is great for a theory, but in actuality, I don't know. He's not bulky to be common for walling, he's too slow to be a sole attacker, and he lacks powerful attacks to wall break, so I question his usefulness outside his niche (though props to Escarlata for effectively figuring out the perfect theorymon and build for that specific niche),

On my competitive view, STAB dark attacks + 1/2 Damage taken from Dark and Ghost and Psychic Immunity..... In exchange of Fighting and Bug Weakness. Also, Because of Luxray's below average 70 Speed, there will be alot of problems for Electric/Dark Luxray. Common threats like Heracross, Medicham, Virizion, Terrakion, Mienshao, Volcarona, Galvantula, Pinsir-Mega, and Scizor-Mega can out speed Luxray w/ proper speed EVs distribution. Scarf may fix that issue but it will lock the last move use making it difficult to manage.
Luxray can't even learn Knock Off, with Crunch as its most powerful STAB dark physical attack move.
Intimidate's good for countering Fighting/Bug attacks simply because most Fighting attacks and bug attacks are Physical. even if you have Guts to increase attack, it may not be enough to sweep because Luxray really lacks the speed to do so.

My conclusion, Electric/Dark sounds cool. but that's how far it may go. It's not that good use on competitive. I still prefer a mono-typing Electric Luxray than Electric/Dark Luxray.~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)