Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, since I've only ever been mid ladder at best, I'm going to refrain from using my own experiences in my discussion here. In fact I think I'm going to abstain from actually posting my opinion on what is the best course of action at all. Rather, I'm going to try to analyze the basic arguments for each side of each of the major potential courses of action to the best of my abilities. Think of this as a mostly objective analysis of the arguments being made, rather than an argument in and of itself. A tool for understanding all the arguments being made, and understanding the key points of contention in deciding this issue.

Note: A lot of the arguments will include references to avoiding complex bans. I'm not going to get into detail with why complex bans are controversial here, but suffice to say that a lot of people will go to very great lengths to avoid even simpler complex bans, so any time when complex bans are brought up as an option, people will be opposed to ideas involving them.

Options:
1. Do nothing:
This option revolves around the idea that we've always dealt with baton pass chains without resorting to bans and that this generation it isn't so different from last. While new toys have been given to Baton Pass teams, new threats to them have also cropped up. The idea is, eventually the metagame will adapt to Baton pass chains without having to compromise team creativity to a extent greater than other accepted strategies. In short, Baton Pass is a fad that will soon fade as the metagame develops and it won't be worse for the wear. As for the fact that Baton pass team battles tend to be much more formulaic than ordinary battles and tend to be more team matchup based and less skill based, this option says that that's fine; the play-style has such a stigma attached to it few people would dare to use it in a serious context, and those who would will get shunned out anyway. Unwritten rules will be effective enough here to keep it from becoming a plague. Alternatively there are those that don't understand why Baton Pass chains are supposedly uncompetitive at all. Some of them think that any strategy should be allowed regardless of how much skill is involved in pulling it off, or that Baton pass chains actually do require a lot of skill *cough*bullshit*cough* (sorry, only time I'll do something like that in this :P).

Counter-arguments to this tend to focus on two points. The first is that it is wrong to think that the metagame will adapt in a healthy way to Baton Pass, especially on the high ladder where solid BP teams end up. The argument goes that there are no healthy ways for the metagame to adapt this; Baton Pass can only be stopped reliably by counters that are not feasible for every team to run, and that team matchup and hax become the only real deciding factors when playing against a Baton Pass player that has any decent idea of what they're doing. The other point is that it's not ok for such a strategy that requires so little skill to master to be legal in higher levels of play, as it undermines the competitive nature of the metagame. Even if it is stigmatized, there will be people who use it and will get honors they do not really deserve because of it, and this should not be allowed. There are slight variations on these points of course, but the basic jist of it is the same; Baton Pass chains are not going to go away without action and are unhealthy for a competitive metagame, so they need to be addressed.

2. Ban Baton Pass entirely: Ok, so very few people hold this opinion, but it deserves to be analysed as the opposite extreme to "do nothing". This argument tends to focus on a few key points as well; complex bans are bad, banning Pokemon that aren't broken on their own is bad, and the easiest, cleanest way to remove baton pass chains (which are also bad) is to just remove baton pass. This argument feels that nothing of value is being lost by losing baton pass, or that at least the value of baton pass is outweighed by the value of keeping more Pokemon in the game without using complex bans.

The counter-argument to this is, of course, that Baton Pass is totally usable outside of Baton pass chains and that a lot of competitive variety is being lost by banning it entirely. Lots of Pokemon can run Baton Pass outside of chains in both competitively useful and interesting ways, and banning Baton Pass entirely is like cutting your arm off to cure a paper cut. Sure it works, but you lose a lot more than you would if you took a more elegant approach. The argument is there are better ways to limit Baton Pass chains that don't cause so much potential competitive creativity to be lost.

3. Ban key Baton Pass chain members: The most common ones mentioned being Scolipede and Espeon, banning either or both of them. The idea is that without these Pokemon, Baton Pass chains become far harder to pull off successfully and many new, viable ways of dealing with them open up. They also argue that neither of these Pokemon are used for much other than Baton Pass chains (at least by competent players), so by banning them not much competitive variety is lost. Also, this avoids complex bans, which are considered by many to be hazardous. By banning these members Baton Pass chains can continue to exist as well, but as a strategy that requires more thought and has more counter-play options available to those battling against them.

The counter-argument to this is that it's banning Pokemon that aren't actually broken, which should be avoided at all costs. It's also argued that this is a worse case than just banning a Pokemon that's completely non-viable outside of Baton Pass chains because they believe that these Pokemon have viable niches outside of it that will be lost if they're banned. Those that still believe Baton Pass needs to be dealt with argue there are other methods available that cause less harm to the metagame and are more directed at the actual cause of the problem. There's no need to ban non-broken Pokemon when there are other methods available.

4. Ban Baton Pass + Magic Bounce on the same Pokemon: This argues that what pushes Baton Pass chains over the edge are magic bounce users like Espeon and Mega-Absol that can single-handedly shut down the vast majority of the traditional methods of dealing with Baton Pass chains. They argue that by removing Magic Bounce from baton pass chains, you allow enough counter-play into the strategy that it becomes just another strategy to prepare for and deal reasonably during the course of building a team. Extreme measures will no longer need to be taken to guarantee that you don't auto-lose to baton pass. This ban also has minimal effect on anything outside of Baton pass chains, since there are very few instances where both are used on the same Pokemon that isn't related to chaining. The worst thing that would happen would be that Espeon would lose the ability to escape being pursuit trapped through the move.

The argument against this position usually boils down to one of two things; complex bans are bad and should be avoided at all costs, and that it won't do enough to prevent baton pass from being broken. They argue that Baton Pass chains are still too uncompetitive even without Magic Bounce. They point to other strategies that have a similar effect to Magic Bounce, like Soundproof Pokemon and Ingrain passing, and claim that these will just rise up to fill Magic Bounce's void. Others will simply say that leaving Baton Pass chains to exist at all shouldn't be done.

5. Ban Magic Bounce: Same reasoning as in #4 for the most part, but avoiding a complex ban.

This raises additional counter-arguments to the ones above for #4, around how Magic Bounce itself is not broken and that a lot of legitimate strategies are hurt or removed with its complete ban.

6. Ban multiple Baton Pass users on the same team: This approach eliminates Baton Pass Chains altogether while still allowing non-chained uses for Baton pass to be used. The argument here is that Baton Pass chains should be eliminated entirely, either because it's simpler and safer than trying to just nerf them or because they are inherently uncompetitive and should not be allowed. They argue this approach has minimal impact on strategy outside of Baton Pass Chains, so there's very little collateral damage, unlike some of the options that only nerf Baton Pass chains like banning key members directly.

The primary argument against this is that Baton pass chains should not be removed entirely. They argue that it is a playstyle that at least has potential to be legitimate, and that we shouldn't completely eradicate it. Most people arguing against this feel that either Baton pass is not a problem that needs to be addressed or that it can be nerfed to the point where it isn't a problem without eradicating it completely and without harming competitive variety.

There are other arguments beyond these, but unless I'm missing something major most of them are being made by a minority small enough that it doesn't really matter much.

The key issues in these discussions come down to a few key contentions:
- Will Baton Pass Chains adversely affect the development and enjoyment of the metagame in the long run, or will it balance itself out over time?
- Are Baton pass chains, at their core, uncompetitive, or are they a valid strategy that can be salvaged/doesn't need salvaging?
- How much are we willing to restrict competitive creativity in order to bring Baton pass chains under control?
- Are complex bans acceptable if they limit the amount of competitive creativity lost, or are they too risky to have?
- Exactly what will nerf Baton Pass chains to the point where they become competitive?

All of these questions either have a lot of unknowns attached to them (we can't see into the future after all), or are based on subjective opinion and experience. I have opinions on a few of them, but I don't really have the experience to make a really informed judgement on most of them.

Anyway, I hope that this can be useful to people who want to jump into this and want to know what the basic arguments are, and why people think what they think. If nothing else, it helped me organize my own mind on the matter :P

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know I asked this question earlier in the thread, but I think it's a very important one and needs to be adressed : Is it at all possible to make Baton Pass competetive without making it unviable?

If so, we should try our hardest to do that, since it would enable us to fix Baton Pass without destroying the entire playstyle. The priority is making it competitive, obviously, but I honestly don't see a downside to making it still viable as long as it isn't broken. Right now, though, I'm almost certain that it isn't actually possible to make teams either auto-win or auto-lose to BP, broadly speaking, which would imply that BP teams are inherently uncompetetive. However, I'd really like to be proven wrong, because that would give us a way to deal with current BP teams with no collateral damage whatsoever.

After another quite a number of games without Sylveon for testing sake, I persist my previous claim on page 19 that Fairies is indeed what makes BP hard to handle. Considering having a Fairy on the chain essentially fulfils 3 very distinct role, namely it's bulk against common attacks, invaluable offensive coverage for dark types because Espeon cannot afford to run them, and for having the most reliable users of CM. it's challenging to find competent users for either of these 3 roles outside of fairy types, let alone a combination of all 3 roles. I believe banning Baton Pass on Fairies is able to balance out the style without making completely unviable while also not affecting anything outside of dedicated chains since no Fairies actually run BP if not for these full chains. Detailed explanation is on page 19 of this thread, which has been conveniently ignored because of some scrub nickpicking on my use of words pushed the discussion 2 pages ahead.

Ninja Charizard , I have a really hard time believing you've fought any decent Baton Pass abusers. Every single one knows how to set up Iron Defenses and calm minds so that nothing short of a crit will even scratch them. Combine that with their propensity for substitute, and a decent number of resistances, it's very difficult (not even reliably possible) to simply outmuscle Baton Pass.

And, ilovekirby12 , read the thread, we're past that
Meh, this is starting to become a "yes, it is", " no, it isn't" tug o' war. I would normally keep discussing by posting calculations or replays to back my side, but I won't bother with that because I'm stuck on a fucking tablet until the end of the month. So good night, I'm leaving this debate for now.

Strawman fallacy right there. There's no slippery slope here or anything similar. Your comparison is off base because it's hard to categorize Baton Pass as a playstyle when it's in a league of its own.
Except Baton Pass is not in the same boat as SwagPlay, and:
Baton Pass is NOT UNBALANCED if you severely limit the chains involved.
Scolipede is NOT UNBALANCED when used outside of a chain.

Furthermore. Baton Pass can be made competitive- did you see my offensive-option Scolipede passer? That holds up even if it's the only passer on the team, creates a lot of confusion on what my next move can or could be, not to mention that I could use Insect plate + a Bug-type move or some similar strategy to continue building off of an offense-viable passer.

Ah great I've stumbled upon the latest 'problem' and I already know what's going to happen. People will talk a load of shit and eventually start bashing each other until the voting process where the vast majority will opt to take the pussified route of banning the 'problem' to ubers. I'm not really into any of the tier bullshit so I'll probably get responses like 'blah blah that's not viable' but lol I don't care. Here's my solution. Set up all your entry hazards or whatever and send in a Mold Breaker with Roar or Taunt. The distribution for either move is actually quite abundant across that particular category so... there, problem solved. I've also seen people destroy this 'problem' with Perish Song and hard hitting priority users. Most of the time you ONLY have to kill ONE of the pokemon in the chain to get the sweet sweet well deserved forfeit.

I agree with you, killing the playing style by limiting the number of users is a wrong move. But if HO had 2 or 3 teams that simply outclassed each and every other HO team, it'd probably be because one or two pokemon on those teams were broken and we'd simply ban them.
Exactly. Baton Pass has to be treated in the exact same manner, then. If a nerf were to occur, Smogon has to look at the root of the problem and deal with the appropriate Pokémon (Scolipede), ability (Speed Boost), and/or move (Stored Power), as was the case with Swagger.

There's no way to nerf the "playstyle" without either getting overly complex or allowing it to remain overpowered. Baton Pass teams should die, plain and simple. There's no obligation to preserve a playstyle at all. Now before you cite gen 5, acknowledge that quite a few well respected players thought Drizzle was still overpowered even after the numerous nerfs and this is the reason why many look at gen 5 with contempt. Baton Pass is the same thing, it needs to leave in its entirety like swagger did. Get over it.

Strawman fallacy right there. There's no slippery slope here or anything similar. Your comparison is off base because it's hard to categorize Baton Pass as a playstyle when it's in a league of its own.
Your view that Baton Pass is not a playstyle is completely subjective and contrary to the knowledge that has been built on it. Whether you like it or not, it has always been treated and written about as a playstyle, and it does require strategy to use, something all playstyles have in common. We should not ban things based on subjective arguments. That is not scientific, and doing so is the antithesis of what Smogon is supposed to be about.

Also, I did not present you with a Straw man. I asked you a serious philosophical question because we are discussing Baton Pass on a philosophical basis. Whether you like it or not, decisions like these do carry heavy precedents. And I explained in the beginning of my post how we should treat the Baton Pass playstyle: like every other one. It should not get "special treatment" just because you simply don't like it.

Meh, this is starting to become a "yes, it is", " no, it isn't" tug o' war.
That's the thing in this thread: Way too many people are resorting to subjective arguments, sentiments, and "what if" scenarios to "prove" their theses.

The distribution for either move is actually quite abundant across that particular category so... there, problem solved. I've also seen people destroy this 'problem' with Perish Song and hard hitting priority users. Most of the time you ONLY have to kill ONE of the pokemon in the chain to get the sweet sweet well deserved forfeit.
Which is why we need to limit the number of baton passers to about 3. It's fair, it breaks the sheer amount of counters that can be put on a team while maintaining the chain, it preserves a move that is not broken by itself, and one more thing.

Just because you've done something one way in the past does not mean it's the best solution.
When was the last time YOU sacrificed a virgin to some primal god? Point I'm making here, is now that we're encroaching on a move with many more viable options other than pure BP teams, we have to be more careful with what we do- and to me, that means we avoid banning a pokemon, we avoid banning a move, we simply get as focused on the problem as possible, and the problem is chains.

It should not get "special treatment" just because you simply don't like it.
I'm looking at you, "metagame" defenders.

Which is why we need to limit the number of baton passers to about 3. It's fair, it breaks the sheer amount of counters that can be put on a team while maintaining the chain, it preserves a move that is not broken by itself, and one more thing.

Just because you've done something one way in the past does not mean it's the best solution.
When was the last time YOU sacrificed a virgin to some primal god? Point I'm making here, is now that we're encroaching on a move with many more viable options other than pure BP teams, we have to be more careful with what we do- and to me, that means we avoid banning a pokemon, we avoid banning a move, we simply get as focused on the problem as possible, and the problem is chains.
A restriction to three Baton Passers is way too complex, and Smogon tries to avoid complex bans whenever possible, hence the ban on Swagger instead of Prankster + Swagger when the latter would have solved the relevant problem. Also, that restriction is a completely unnecessary nerf. The heart of Baton Pass teams is Scolipede because he makes it easy to accumulate simultaneous defense and speed boosts. Occam's Razor: The simplest solution should be sought, and those are Speed Boost + Baton Pass and Stored Power + Baton Pass because they are the least invasive nerfs that solve the apparent problem.

Ah great I've stumbled upon the latest 'problem' and I already know what's going to happen. People will talk a load of shit and eventually start bashing each other until the voting process where the vast majority will opt to take the pussified route of banning the 'problem' to ubers. I'm not really into any of the tier bullshit so I'll probably get responses like 'blah blah that's not viable' but lol I don't care. Here's my solution. Set up all your entry hazards or whatever and send in a Mold Breaker with Roar or Taunt. The distribution for either move is actually quite abundant across that particular category so... there, problem solved. I've also seen people destroy this 'problem' with Perish Song and hard hitting priority users. Most of the time you ONLY have to kill ONE of the pokemon in the chain to get the sweet sweet well deserved forfeit.
I think we long ago established Roar and Taunt are not counters to Baton Pass chains by nature of Magic Bounce, Soundproof, etc. Strong priority isn't strong enough against boosted chains, and anything slower than Priority is too slow to execute a countermeasure like Perish Song. Even then, Perish Song is uncommon, and the very few Pokemon that might run it becomes suboptimal.

Set up all your entry hazards or whatever and send in a Mold Breaker with Roar or Taunt.
Except that gives the opponent more than enough time to set up their Ingrain so roar is effectively useless, or just get enough boosts to OHKO your taunt/roar-er with the appropriate move. These are our Mold Breaker Roar users:
Axew, Cranidos, Druddigon, Fraxure, Gyarados-Mega, Haxorus, Pancham, Pangoro, Rampardos (scratched out pre-evolutions).​
And here you have Mold Breaker Taunt:
Axew, Basculin, Basculin-Blue-Striped, Druddigon, Fraxure, Gyarados-Mega, Hawlucha, Haxorus, Pangoro, Sawk, Throh (scratched out repetitions)​
Ignoring that most of them wouldn't be considered OU-viable by virtue of tier placement, something else stands out to me about these 10 pokemon (not exactly wide distribution): I think every one gets killed by Sylveon after one turn of setup (and if it has speed boosts the taunts won't even work and this gets really ugly).
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Druddigon: 446-528 (124.5 - 147.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 326-386 (98.1 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Haxorus: 548-648 (181.4 - 214.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pangoro: 1084-1276 (275.1 - 323.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 357-420 (106.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Basculin: 331-391 (117.7 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 596-704 (200 - 236.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 522-614 (178.7 - 210.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Throh: 468-552 (105.4 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO​
All Sylveon needs is one CM boost and there go all those pokemon guaranteed bar Gyarados (who needs 1.9% damage prior to get the OHKO).

Not to mention the fact that your opponent can just bring in their Magic Bouncer when you have your hazard lead out, which just gives them free hazards/setup and you a much worse time.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But there are two problems with your thesis:

1. You want to make Baton Pass un-viable based on your subjective view of the playstyle. If a nerf occurs, it should still be effective, like all other playstyles are, against a variety of threats, not just one form of team.

2. You ignore the precedent that a cap would start. What happens when another style is perfected (and don't say they never will be)? Do we put a cap on the number of HO offensive Pokémon on a team? Or do we leave it as is because people like it?

While I am completely anti-nerf because it is very beatable if you play against it intelligently, if any nerf were to occur it should only be either Speed Boost + Baton Pass or Stored Power + Baton Pass. Either of those should be sufficient to solve whatever difficulty people are facing due to their unpreparedness for a relevant threat.
lol I don't even think you read my post. I specifically stated reasons as to why Speed Boost + Baton Pass and Stored Power + Baton Pass are bad ideas. Here I'll even quote them for you:
1) Stored Power + BP
What's inherently bad about running a Pokemon with Stored Power + BP? So, you mean to tell me that CM + Stored Power + BP + filler Espeon is broken on its own? I really don't think this is the case, nor the entire source of the problem. You can run a BP team and get as many sweeps with Sylveon's Hyper Voice as Espeon's Stored Power depending on the match, from my experience. Should we ban both? Or both together? I don't think so.
2) Speed Boost + BP
This is one of the worst options IMO, because there is nothing inherently bad about Speed Boost + BP Scolipede, the use of which could be considered legitimate paired with slower physically offensive Pokemon that are vulnerable to revenge kills. It is partially the source of why full BP is so ridiculous, but this option is not worse sacrificing the legitimate uses.
Also, we are never going to perfect another playstyle, beyond reasonable doubt. I have five generations of proof to back this up, there is no /perfect/ team. Meanwhile BP has been perfected down to the movesets and the Pokemon. HO is so much more abstract than BP -- when you think of HO, you think of a couple mainstays and then a shitload of good choices. When you think of BP, you think of a specific team.

Finally I want to make BP unviable because it's broken as shit lol. It's still broken as shit in a 4-5 mon BP core, therefore I set a more strict cap.

The simplest solution can also be overly heavy-handed, and the solutions you suggest are just as complex as limiting to 2-3.

And I repeat, just because you've done something a certain way in the past does not automatically make it the best option. Scolipede isn't even the worst offender- Magic Bounce is much harder to counter than speed boost.

If we're going to go with simpler bans, that's one thing, but it still isn't going to break chains. I'd be most comfortable with a hard limit of 2 as it forces you to make a hard choice between the staples in most cases, or, 3 with an additional limit on Magic Bounce.

I feel like there's a major consensus that the complex ban is the best, or at least most liked, idea.

A restriction to three Baton Passers is way too complex, and Smogon tries to avoid complex bans whenever possible, hence the ban on Swagger instead of Prankster + Swagger when the latter would have solved the relevant problem. Also, that restriction is a completely unnecessary nerf. The heart of Baton Pass teams is Scolipede because he makes it easy to accumulate simultaneous defense and speed boosts. Occam's Razor: The simplest solution should be sought, and those are Speed Boost + Baton Pass and Stored Power + Baton Pass because they are the least invasive nerfs that solve the apparent problem.
I'm honestly unclear on how "X pokemon can have baton pass" is any more complicated than sleep clause or species clause - "X pokemon can be put to sleep" or "X pokemon of the same species can be put on the same team." Yea, X probably wouldn't be 1 in this case, but it's still the same format, and is definitely not more complicated implementation wise.

Lol, suspect tests are far from scientific. Scientific testing is all about collecting facts and drawing objective conclusions from the facts alone. Suspect tests involve collective facts and drawing subjective opinions based on the facts. You can't take a bunch of statistics, calculations, etc. and objectively determine whether or not something is too unhealthy for the metagame. The degree to which something needs to be broken or uncompetitive in order to be banworthy is always subjective. If it were not, we wouldn't have these threads or tests. We'd just do the math and ban what needs to be banned while leaving the rest alone.

Baton pass teams are tough to beat, but not unbeatable. You can always try to OHKO their active Pokemon before they end up with too many defensive boosts. Sableye can act as a roadblock for baton pass teams, since it can priority taunt anything but Espeon and Absol. A correctly timed trick can also stop baton pass teams in their tracks. Haze users can stop baton pass teams as well. The best haze users are pokemon you usually wouldn't use haze with. Greninja and Honchkrow are immune to Psyshock (and Espeon is usually Baton Pass, Clam Mind, Sub, Psyshock). 4 SpA Espeon never OHKOs 252/252 Impish Zygarde or 252/0 Multiscale Dragonite, regardless of how many SpA boosts Espeon has.

However, all the Pokemon I mentioned above would probably never run Haze, and most of their movesets would be compromised if you added Haze. My point is that you have to be very gimmicky to stop baton pass teams. And while gimmicks are very much my thing, i know they are not everybody's cup of tea. That being said, I don't think a full ban on the move baton pass is necessary, and I don't think a ban on Baton Pass + Magic Bounce is necessary. The only problem here is Espeon, so ban Espeon. Absol isn't nearly as much of a hassle, due to his 65/60/60 base defenses (and 75 base speed, even though it only applies on the first turn Absol is in)

But if we did, we would simply deal with the Pokémon that cause that problem. That's the issue here. We're not dealing with the Pokémon that make it a problem. Also, determining which number is an appropriate cap is too subjective without extensive testing throughout a lengthy amount of time with a good population sample.
Can someone explain to me why everyone is so determined to protect the status quo? This is to the point of getting in the way of attacking the root of the problem and, instead, just running away from it entirely.

That, and your argument destroys itself. "Lets handle this the same way we always do which carries with it a margin of error, but we can't do this because it has a margin of error."

Or, more simply, "let's destroy the problem and the healthy area around it, because that's so much better than having the chance you might not hit the healthy area."

This is just long shot but wouldn't banning substitute in conjunction with baton pass be the easiest path to take? Without substitute, baton pass teams can easily fall to priority. While baton pass teams can seam unhealthy, the real unhealthy aspect is doing all of this behind a sub. To go even deeper, the whole swag play was also strongly held together by sub.

• Is Baton Pass (with specific reference to full Baton Pass teams) a problem for the development of the metagame?
No, priority can easily shut down a BP chain if no sub is there to protect sed chain.
  • If so, what elements, in particular, do you think are pushing Baton Pass over the edge?
Substitute preventing the chain from being Broken even for one turn can affect the outcome of the game. Also 99% of Pokemon being able to learn sub increases the chances of maintaining sub throughout the chain.
  • Do you believe that banning individual Pokémon (such as Espeon/Scolipede) would make Baton Pass manageable?
Simply banning a Pokemon is a half ass solution. These niches are fulfilled for specific
Team combinations. Look to the moves not the Pokemon.

Would you support a blanket ban on the move Baton Pass?

• Would you support the introduction of complex bans (like Pokémon X+Pokémon Y on the same team)? Feel free to suggest more forms of complex bans, of course.

Like I said before banning substitute in conjunction with baton pass or even simply banning substitute would impact baton pass teams and even the current meta greatly in a beneficial way. These are just my opinions.

This is just long shot but wouldn't banning substitute in conjunction with baton pass be the easiest path to take? Without substitute, baton pass teams can easily fall to priority. While baton pass teams can seam unhealthy, the real unhealthy aspect is doing all of this behind a sub. To go even deeper, the whole swag play was also strongly held together by sub.

Like I said before banning substitute in conjunction with baton pass or even simply banning substitute would impact baton pass teams and even the current meta greatly in a beneficial way. These are just my opinions.
Making Infiltrator lose a lot of usefulness, hurting other legitimate strategies even more invasively, and not attacking the problem headon.

Can someone explain to me why everyone is so determined to protect the status quo? This is to the point of getting in the way of attacking the root of the problem and, instead, just running away from it entirely.

That, and your argument destroys itself. "Lets handle this the same way we always do which carries with it a margin of error, but we can't do this because it has a margin of error."

Or, more simply, "let's destroy the problem and the healthy area around it, because that's so much better than having the chance you might not hit the healthy area."
Baton Pass is far from the status quo. However, we should use the same guidelines for a suspect that we use for every other problem. If any aspect of Baton Pass is a problem, and if a cap is necessary on the amount of Pokémon with Baton Pass, it should be based on the guidelines we have established.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Flechazo the fact that you have utterly failed to refute any of the main points that anyone is making is ridiculous and means that no one is going to take your arguments seriously. This entire topic is based around complex banning. And, you have been unable to provide evidence as to why my points against Speed Boost + Magic Bounce + Baton Pass/Speed Boost + Baton Pass/Magic Bounce + Baton Pass could be deemed incorrect. A BP cap isn't even that complex. So you tell someone, 'hey you can't have more than 3 Pokemon with the move Baton Pass on your team'. Nice and easy. But if you tell the person 'hey you can't have a Pokemon with the ability Speed Boost and the move Baton Pass, and a Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce and the move Baton Pass, together on the same team', or even 'hey you can't have a Pokemon with ability Speed Boost and the move Baton Pass, or a Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce and the move Baton Pass'. That's much more complex.
But if we did, we would simply deal with the Pokémon that cause that problem. That's the issue here. We're not dealing with the Pokémon that make it a problem. Also, determining which number is an appropriate cap is too subjective without extensive testing throughout a lengthy amount of time with a good population sample.

And it really isn't that broken. You just need to play intelligently against it within the first few turns. It might not be how your team normally plays, but it could save you from a loss.
I posted an analysis of why we should pick 3 for the cap. Simple.

That last claim is has rather large ramifications. The fact that one of a dozen good players who have posted in this thread haven't just said, 'play intelligently against it within the first few turns', should be an indicator that just maybe you're wrong.

alexbello there's no reason to ban Espeon on its own, and as people such have BKC have said, all it does is impact the fight against teams without a phazer anyways. It would still be ridiculous against offense; banning Espeon is missing the point. The point is that Baton Pass chains are broken.

Entei The Swift banning Substitute is kind of obviously dumb. There are millions of legitimate uses of the move Substitute that have 0 negative impact on the metagame in any way, shape, or form. SubPass in itself is a legitimate strategy to get Pokemon in for free/protect them as they set up. You're not attacking the problem head-on, as Tsuchigumo said.

Filling in for Spirit:
Flechazo said:
No it doesn't. Sand was banned in Gen 5 UU and then all forms of sand playstyle were destroyed along with it. This is OU. -- That's not the point. He's just bringing up an example of a past ban as precedent. OU or UU, it's still a legitimate ban in a Smogon tier that is entirely relevant to this discussion. It's as if we had banned Drizzle in OU last gen.

Oh please. As if banning Speed Boost + Baton Pass + or Stored Power + Baton Pass is any less unnecessary. This one allows other Pokemon to use Baton Pass without letting a cancerous play style roam around or without forcing on an overly complicated rule. It's similar to sleep clause where you can only put one Pokemon to sleep. In this case, what balances Baton Pass is limiting it to 2-3 users per team at most. It is less invasive; therefore, this should be tested first. -- You've still as of yet failed to provide any evidence that my points as to why what you're saying is a bad idea. It is not less invasive because it actually destroys legitimate, non-broken strategies. BP is not legitimate (I'm not responding if you respond that this is just a subjective opinion).

I'm not saying Baton Pass is the status quo.

I'm saying that the overly strict methodology of "ban the core element, not the core problem" is the status quo. In the case of Swagger, that wasn't nearly a problem. Here, we need to tread much more lightly, as it's a much wider-spread move with just as many good applications as bad.

Caps are indeed a good thing. And, if one is implemented, I believe that that will GENERATE data, will it not?

i believe there are ways around baton pass and that it shouldnt be banned based on a few unhappy battlers
Told myself not to respond, but even my hate of the system can't defend the "a few" argument. There's more than enough players angry to look into this quite heavily- but not so heavily that we should pull a mostly healthy tooth. We can cap- pun intended- the issue.

I don't feel that Baton Pass chains are broken. I feel like Espeon, and Espeon alone, is broken because it makes it very difficult to do anything about said chains.

And holy crap did you reply to my comment quickly

I think we long ago established Roar and Taunt are not counters to Baton Pass chains by nature of Magic Bounce, Soundproof, etc. Strong priority isn't strong enough against boosted chains, and anything slower than Priority is too slow to execute a countermeasure like Perish Song. Even then, Perish Song is uncommon, and the very few Pokemon that might run it becomes suboptimal.
You don't know what the ability Mold Breaker does, do you? You know that ability that Taunts through Magic Bounce and Roars through that along with Sound Proof as well... seem familiar?

Flechazo the fact that you have utterly failed to refute any of the main points that anyone is making is ridiculous and means that no one is going to take your arguments seriously. This entire topic is based around complex banning. And, you have been unable to provide evidence as to why my points against Speed Boost + Magic Bounce + Baton Pass/Speed Boost + Baton Pass/Magic Bounce + Baton Pass could be deemed incorrect. A BP cap isn't even that complex. So you tell someone, 'hey you can't have more than 3 Pokemon with the move Baton Pass on your team'. Nice and easy. But if you tell the person 'hey you can't have a Pokemon with the ability Speed Boost and the move Baton Pass, and a Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce and the move Baton Pass, together on the same team', or even 'hey you can't have a Pokemon with ability Speed Boost and the move Baton Pass, or a Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce and the move Baton Pass'. That's much more complex.
I understand your points on Speed Boost + Baton Pass and Magic Bounce + Baton Pass. I just respectively disagree here because it may be different in practice rather than on paper. Granted, I need to play with a cap of three and with my suggestion and compare and contrast them for an educated opinion.

My point on invasiveness is all about in practice, not on paper. A cap, though simpler on paper, is more invasive in practice because it restricts teambuilding in that regard, whereas Scolipede and Espeon can simply be replaced while full chains are both playable and easily counter-able. This argument goes down to philosophy, and I don't believe we are changing either of our minds.

I'm not saying Baton Pass is the status quo.

I'm saying that the overly strict methodology of "ban the core element, not the core problem" is the status quo. In the case of Swagger, that wasn't nearly a problem. Here, we need to tread much more lightly, as it's a much wider-spread move with just as many good applications as bad.

Caps are indeed a good thing. And, if one is implemented, I believe that that will GENERATE data, will it not?

Told myself not to respond, but even my hate of the system can't defend the "a few" argument. There's more than enough players angry to look into this quite heavily- but not so heavily that we should pull a mostly healthy tooth. We can cap- pun intended- the issue.
It is true that a cap will generate data; however, it may be better to try less invasive options. If Baton Pass still proves a problem, we could always cap it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)