The Next Best Thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly, there's a three-way tie for first. I'm leaving this open until I get home later tonight.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Want to extend this so badly to give myself a chance, but I like practicality more than uniqueness. So, Kitten Milk

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Pretty sure Lochie is just amassing people to vote for him via IRC, which is unfortunate because his set isn't too good, wasting an item and move slot on Power Herb just to beat two uncommon pokes that don't even have reliable recovery.

Pretty sure Lochie is just amassing people to vote for him via IRC, which is unfortunate because his set isn't too good, wasting an item and move slot on Power Herb just to beat two uncommon pokes that don't even have reliable recovery.
I voted for him, not because I know him or he asked me to (which I don't and he didn't), not because his set is great, but mostly because it's actually somewhat original as to be frank none of the sets posted are particularly great/original to me (as is to be expected from Flygon as it's simply limited in what it can pull off effectively).

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse/Bulk Up
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Gyro Ball/Seed Bomb

a tweak on the classic resttalk curselax, chesnaught brings a similar and surprising wincon for stall teams in this role. However, chesnaught gets the added bonus of gyro ball, which increases in power as he curses, making even an un-stab move do a surprising amount of damage. gyro ball also has the pleasant quality of hitting many things that could potentially damage this set quite hard, especially ice types like kyurem and grass types like roserade or shaymin. However, like it is with snorlax and mienshao/heracross, it's necessary to remove fire types before trying to set up with this guy. as such, he's best paired with a bulky water like slowbro, who complements him very well in terms of typing. the element of surprise when the opponent expects a leech seed and switches into their roserade, only to get bulk up'd and then forced to switch because they can't do shit to you (unless tech hp fire but fk that) is quite valuable as well.

bulk up and seed bomb is also an option, as chesnaught's speed isn't exactly unsalvageable and there are still things worth outspeeding. this also gives you a little bit better of a chance of winning v suicune, although it's still not a guaranteed. I'll be using this set on a stall team i'm attempting to make, so I'll update this posts with replays as I go along.

Ok here's my set.

Chesnaught @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Basically, this Chesnaught a powerful attacker that can easily catch your opponent off-guard. Since Chesnaught is almost always seen as a defensive Pokemon, most people usually feel comfortable switching in their offensive Pokemon, such as Crobat, Chandelure, Victini, Noivern, etc etc. Basically, this set uses Chesnaught's surprisingly high base 107 to catch a lot of these would-be perfect switch-ins off guard and do massive damage to them. Lets take a look at the calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Crobat: 260-308 (69.5 - 82.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 314-370 (92 - 108.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 342-404 (131 - 154.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 378-446 (121.5 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 378-446 (98.4 - 116.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Not only that, but it's STAB moves still do great damage to the Pokemon it normally beats.

252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 554-654 (119.3 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 372-438 (92 - 108.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 380-450 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 362-428 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 564-666 (155.8 - 183.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 356-422 (92.7 - 109.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 524-618 (140.8 - 166.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 312-368 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 242-288 (64.7 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 486-572 (92.7 - 109.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 432-510 (109.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyways, the moves on this set are pretty simple; Dual STABS + Stone Edge for Flying- and Fire-types. Earthquake is there for a more reliable way to hit Steel- and Fire-types while also doing good damage to Pokemon such as Metagross.

Overall, Chesnaught is a surprisingly powerful Pokemon that can utilize a Choice Band set to beat a lot of the Pokemon that would normally give it trouble.

Chesnaught actually has a really nice movepool. It gets access to all sorts of moves like Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Pain Split, Curse, and Gyro Ball, in addition to the great ones it commonly uses. We all know, though, what the manliest move is:

Chad Smith (Chesnaught) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Rock Slide
- Seed Bomb
- Brick Break

The best scenario for this is to come in on Mienshao for free after their scarfer or anything faster than base 115s is removed. Then, Mienshao will U-Turn, not daring to go for HJK when Chesnaught probably has Spiky Shield, and not doing much with any other moves. U-Turn will do just over 25%, and combined with the Belly Drum, will get you into Salac range. This also works with any other attack that does between 25-50%, but that's just one specific, commonish example. It is pretty gimmicky, but it makes up for it with manliness and a few unique traits. Because of its Grass-type STAB, it doesn't have to worry about any bulky waters that physical sweepers normally need to, and drumming as they switch to their normal Chesnaught switch-in, like Shaymin or Victini can really surprise them, and it's great hilarious fun to sweep with a Chesnaught. You just need to get a little bit of chip damage on it before you go for the set up, which can be annoying, but it's a fun set. It's a small list of Pokemon that can survive a hit at +6, and those ones aren't hard to weaken a bit. If you remove priority, scarfers, and Noivern/Crobat/Jolteon/Aerodactyl/Manectric, it can definitely win the game.

Calcs are pretty pointless to include, obviously it's going to do a lot of damage at +6 and obviously defensive calcs aren't that important beyond seeing what it can take for between 25-50%.

By the way, Klefki Uxie is an awesome partner. Screens/Memento really help to get attacks into the Salac range for you after Belly Drum.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Chesnaught actually has a really nice movepool. It gets access to all sorts of moves like Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Pain Split, Curse, and Gyro Ball, in addition to the great ones it commonly uses. We all know, though, what the manliest move is:

Chad Smith (Chesnaught) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Rock Slide
- Seed Bomb
- Brick Break

The best scenario for this is to come in on Mienshao for free after their scarfer or anything faster than base 115s is removed. Then, Mienshao will U-Turn, not daring to go for HJK when Chesnaught probably has Spiky Shield, and not doing much with any other moves. U-Turn will do just over 25%, and combined with the Belly Drum, will get you into Salac range. This also works with any other attack that does between 25-50%, but that's just one specific, commonish example. It is pretty gimmicky, but it makes up for it with manliness and a few unique traits. Because of its Grass-type STAB, it doesn't have to worry about any bulky waters that physical sweepers normally need to, and drumming as they switch to their normal Chesnaught switch-in, like Shaymin or Victini can really surprise them, and it's great hilarious fun to sweep with a Chesnaught. You just need to get a little bit of chip damage on it before you go for the set up, which can be annoying, but it's a fun set. It's a small list of Pokemon that can survive a hit at +6, and those ones aren't hard to weaken a bit. If you remove priority, scarfers, and Noivern/Crobat/Jolteon/Aerodactyl/Manectric, it can definitely win the game.

Calcs are pretty pointless to include, obviously it's going to do a lot of damage at +6 and obviously defensive calcs aren't that important beyond seeing what it can take for between 25-50%.

By the way, Klefki is an awesome partner. Screens really help to get attacks into the Salac range for you after Belly Drum.
klefki is bl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)