Other OU Replays (of Excellence?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Haunter and Subject 18
Everyday on the OU ladder, hundreds upon thousands of battles are played. Most aren't worthy of notice as there was a great deal of unfortunate RNG rolls, early forfeits and bad play. However, within this rough, there are true diamonds. Battles that most people can learn from. Close matches that showcase the skills of two evenly matched battlers playing at their highest level. While people can talk theory all day, nothing beats a great battle when trying to teach people how to play.

This thread will aim not only to showcase these battles, but to promote discussion. The discussion will be based around team match-ups, overall play, crucial turns, and some "What would you do" scenarios". I will post a battle submitted to me and give a brief summary (also given to me). I will also try to give questions towards promoting discussion but please do not be afraid to propose your own questions, whether for academia purposes or for discussion.

There are some changes this time. Replays to be used should be submitted to me with a brief description of why the battle was good/crucial points that made the battle good. Please tell me which person you were in the battle. Try to be objective in your summary. I do not mind the use of first term, but I do not want summaries where you "completely dominated [your] opponent in prediction". Those replays will unfortunately not be able to be used because they'll lack a summary.

Remember: Games should be competitive. Even if you end up cleaning up three pokemon with Pinsir-mega, it should've been very much competitive before hand. Hax should be at a minimum. Crits should not affect the outcome. Both battlers should be playing very well. Games can be competitive without having battlers be good, so we want to avoid that.

Worry not, it will not just be me deciding on the battles, I will be asking some people in the OU chat room on Showdown which battle they want to discuss next and think is worthy of being displayed. As this thread progresses, I will probably get someone to assist me in this thread. Drop by sometime, we might be discussing which one to use next.

Once a discussion is finished, I'll post the battle into a hide tag in this post, as well as the initial brief summary and the most widely accepted comment on that discussion. Replays will be posted as needed, dictated both by frequency and discussion but I do expect a minimum of three days spent on any specific replay.

Past replays:
Since this is new and I don't have any of your replays, I'm going to lead off with a match between Ash Borer and myself, which took play roughly three weeks ago. So get me some replays and let's get some good discussion going.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-100761311

Ash Borer was running a fairly standard team from preview but had a few curve balls in mono-stab Resttalk Mega Gyarados and Sub Aegislash. I was running a stall team I had finished up a week prior and was still testing through a few things, but this game ended pretty close. For all intents and purposes, we both finished the suspect test in the top 100. (He finished 32 and I'm in 55th?).

The game really came down to whether his Aegi could break my team before I could get it out of the field (Sub aegi takes a while to get off the field) and whether I could stop his Gyarados after losing Skarmory and having Chesnaught devoted to Aegislash.

Questions:
What would you say was the best match up I had that I was able to take advantage?
What about the best match up Ash had that Ash was able to use?

In my opinion, my skarmory got getting rocks up before dying was among the most critical turns in the game, ending Landorus permanently. What would you say were the critical points in this game?

Turn 73, Ash reveals rest on gyarados. Given this information, what would you have done?

However we're going to use Ash's replay because that was the consensus when I asked.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogtours-ubers-6457
I thought this was a fairly interesting match, both myself and memoric make a bad misplay each near the end. Now, the name of the game for either side was to either win wiht Talonflame, or win with Scolipede. These are either sides win conditions.

Immediately I identify this and I lead with Terrakion to get SR up, this was absolutely crucial to dealing with Talonflame for my team. Sacking Gengar or Terrakion was a play I needed to make, as I really have no safe switch in to Lando, and I decided to keep my hazard user alive if I could. Gengar probalby want going to perform in the match.

Genesect's role in this match is to a) draw out Talonflame, and b) wallbreak for Scolipede. My opponent has no way to deal with Gene outside Talonflame and this match really showcases how powerful Genesect is against teams not prepared for the LO attacker set

The match continues as I vehemently attempt to retain momentum and not let SR leave the field. My misplay near the end was losing Genesect to lando on switch in. I predicted my opopnent to get up stealth rock, however sending in Azumarill was the smartest play as it was far less useful than Gene in this scenario who if I had I would been easily able to set up a finisher with Scolipede.

Unfortunately due to my misplay here my opponent wasnt weakened enough to finish the game with Scolipede, and unfortuantely my opponent did not anticipate and offensive LO scolipede, and he tried to set up a sub on it, which cost him the game near the end.

REgardless I think this match highlights the idea of identifying what your opponent threatens you with, and trying your best to retain momentum so that they cant use it properly, while working towards your own win condition.
If I'm not mistaken, this came from Starmie's OU mini-tour which legalized Gene and banned Deo-S. Do you think Gene's impact on the game was noticeable? Perhaps it was even a negative effect as it gave Memoric an easy kill on the otherwise-deadly terrakion, who also lured out Talonflame easily after aegi got killed.

Memoric was admittedly very Genesect weak. After seeing the Life Orb damage taken, was there a play you would've made in lieu of leaving Aegi in to scout flame thrower? Was sacrificing Aegi the best play available or do you think there was better fodder?

What were the critical plays/Turns? Personally, leaving Aegi in on Gene would get my vote but Knocking off Gengar and destroying one of the best Aegi checks would've been another strong contender at the time.

Any other questions? Ash Borer is obviously around to answer any questions on thought process and I'd imagine Memoric is too.

Response by Memoric
Man, that game with Ash was pretty cool. It was tight and pretty fun for my games. I suppose I can share some of my thought processes here, if anyone doesn't mind.

Now obviously, right off the bat I saw that my Banded Talonflame posed a threat to his team. It could easily beat and clean most of his team once weakened enough, and that was my goal for the game. My Earth Plate Landorus-T checks Scolipede, Garchomp, and Terrakion, while Aegis can play with Azu. Everything else could just suck it :q lol but mostly they were there for supporting the team by just damaging stuff

Some critical turns here are definitely the Gengar predict and the sniping of Aegislash. My Lando using Knock Off was actually a no-brainer predict, as Terrakion wouldn't bother staying in on a Lando and his only Ground-immune was Gengar. I would still gain something if he switched to something else regardless as it'd lose its item anyways.

The Aegislash snipe tho. Actually, Aegislash was important in the grand scheme of things as it could handle Azu and Scoli nicely and I could just bust Shadow Balls like no tomorrow with Gengar gone. However, I'm retarded; I wasn't paying attention to LO damage and still though of choice as possible arrhhhhghishgihdhsdjjk :[[[ Regardless, I believe I should have KSed here to scout for Flamethrower being there or now (has to drop something for Bug Buzz) in that situation as I still got answers to the threat of Chomp regardless.

The endgame was another misplay from me again. I thought they would bother for the Protect but come one I'm retarded and Subbed . Regardless, I wouldn't get the KO on Scolipede, so it was there either way.

Props to Ash Borer for the p cool game though.

What did you expect from a STAB SE 120 BP Attack to do. And yeah, it was the basic 252 Atk / 252 Spe which could be more optimized but eh.

I'd share my team here if anyone cares.

E: At least I learned to pay attention to the logs more lel

Last edited:
Please private message me the replays over just posting them here. Thanks.

It's been five days, so I'm going to abuse Subject 18's submission.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-93208754
[replay]/ou-93208754[/replay]

It's Week 1 of FCL and I'm matched up with Utsu. Based on team matchup it's pretty even, Talonflame and Gyarados are a bit trouble some so I need to be careful with hold I play my Rotom-W and Skarm. As for my win condition, it looks to be NP plot Thundurus as long as I can wear down the Latias to the point where HP Flying can take it out, Zard X won't be able to sweep this game due to the Lando-T and Gyarados Intimidate core.

I make a bit of a overprediction leaving my Amoonguss on Talonflame predicting the U-Turn and trying to go for a Spore. With that I lose my Rotom-W counter and a good decent check to Gyarados. I do get a lucky crit on the incoming Landorus-T which helps me possibly sweep with Zard X if the opportunity presents itself.

Now its Rotom-W vs his Aegislash. At this point I just want to wear this thing down enough to beat able to beat with anything on my team. I do miss a pretty crucial WoW that would have allowed me to Roost back up with Zard while it was out on Aegislash and late in the game where the residual damage would have been really nice to have.

I misplay again, but this time with Zard X because I should have just EQ'd the Aegislash but now due to the fact that I missed the WoW I can't live a Sneak from that range.

Late Game it apparent that Thundurus wins me the game if I get good damage rolls. After I wish up and sack my Clefable I force Utsu to King's Shield otherwise he loses right there. I'm not willing to take chances here and NP Plot so going for Thunderbolt is my best play. At this point it come down to damage rolls: if he got high rolls on both Shadow ball (70% or more) and Shadow Sneak, I lost. If he got a low roll with Shadow Ball, I won barring a crit. If he got a high roll with Shadow Ball and a low roll with Shadow Sneak, I won.

Basically, high roll with Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak wins him the game. High roll Shadow ball comes down to rolls with Shadow Sneak decides the game.
This game was played very well, so well that it came down to a coin flip (ban it obviously) on who would win. There are very few plays you could question. Are there any you see that had you scartching your head, even if it was a successful play? For me, Aegi staying in on Subject 18's Rotom-Wash was slightly questionable, even though it paid off.

Two replays in a row, we've seen Healing Wish Latias pass off to a Talonflame for a late game sweep, both times it falls just short. This strategy seems to turn talonflame into not only a revenge killer but a late game cleaner. Is the livability a reason to use it? Have you seen it outside of these replays to any success?

Any plays we see that gives a crucial advantage towards the end? Subject 18 didn't really make a misplay, but the turn Aegislash stayed in and Shadow Balled Charizard WAS game changing, and should Utsu have won, it would've been seen as the key play. Any other plays similar?

Great game, you two. The end calc shows just how down to the wire that game really was.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
That match was more of a failed experiment to me. Rest Talk megados was supposed to be the ultimate stallbreaker but it failed to beat your bulky grass type. I was relying on it to clean up but I simply had nothing to lure in and hit chesnaught. I think as rest talk mega gyara was revealed you should have immediately went to chesnaught instead of letting it break your team up a bit.

[replay]smogtours-ubers-6457[/replay]

I thought this was a fairly interesting match, both myself and memoric make a bad misplay each near the end. Now, the name of the game for either side was to either win wiht Talonflame, or win with Scolipede. These are either sides win conditions.

Immediately I identify this and I lead with Terrakion to get SR up, this was absolutely crucial to dealing with Talonflame for my team. Sacking Gengar or Terrakion was a play I needed to make, as I really have no safe switch in to Lando, and I decided to keep my hazard user alive if I could. Gengar probalby want going to perform in the match.

Genesect's role in this match is to a) draw out Talonflame, and b) wallbreak for Scolipede. My opponent has no way to deal with Gene outside Talonflame and this match really showcases how powerful Genesect is against teams not prepared for the LO attacker set

The match continues as I vehemently attempt to retain momentum and not let SR leave the field. My misplay near the end was losing Genesect to lando on switch in. I predicted my opopnent to get up stealth rock, however sending in Azumarill was the smartest play as it was far less useful than Gene in this scenario who if I had I would been easily able to set up a finisher with Scolipede.

Unfortunately due to my misplay here my opponent wasnt weakened enough to finish the game with Scolipede, and unfortuantely my opponent did not anticipate and offensive LO scolipede, and he tried to set up a sub on it, which cost him the game near the end.

REgardless I think this match highlights the idea of identifying what your opponent threatens you with, and trying your best to retain momentum so that they cant use it properly, while working towards your own win condition.

Last edited:
Id immediately go to chesnaught, leech seed, and hammer arm it to death, then again, megagyarados, can sweep your team,

You don't have another option, it sweeps bro, get a check for megagyarados.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason I ever went to Sylveon other than it did check Gyara-mega was because chesnaught had a toxic... I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do enough damage with hammer arm and he hadn't gone into mega yet... that, and the fact Aegi still existed all made me worried about overexerting chesnaught.

I posted a thread like this and it got deleted, now I see why: you did it much better, thank you for that. After all, only having a thread about silly things in a competitive forum was kind of weird.

Ajwf, you have given me faith in Chesnaught. Really nice battle, it's weird that you had no mega but I have no idea what swap for that.

Ash Borer, I really was surprised by the sub -which would have achieved nothing anyway- and really thought you had lost. Aside from that some nice prediction like the knock off on Gengar and overall nice replay to watch.

Last edited:

However we're going to use Ash's replay because that was the consensus when I asked.

[replay]smogtours-ubers-6457[/replay]
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogtours-ubers-6457

If I'm not mistaken, this came from Starmie's OU mini-tour which legalized Gene and banned Deo-S. Do you think Gene's impact on the game was noticeable? Perhaps it was even a negative effect as it gave Memoric an easy kill on the otherwise-deadly terrakion, who also lured out Talonflame easily after aegi got killed.

Memoric was admittedly very Genesect weak. After seeing the Life Orb damage taken, was there a play you would've made in lieu of leaving Aegi in to scout flame thrower? Was sacrificing Aegi the best play available or do you think there was better fodder?

What were the critical plays/Turns? Personally, leaving Aegi in on Gene would get my vote but Knocking off Gengar and destroying one of the best Aegi checks would've been another strong contender at the time.

Any other questions? Ash Borer is obviously around to answer any questions on thought process and I'd imagine Memoric is too.

Last edited:
In all honesty, Memoric's predict on Gengar was almost critical. While not difficult, as most of Ash's team couldn't eat an EQ, the loss of a major aegi check could've proved absolutely devastating.

The raw power of Scolilpede surprised me, as I know just how strong TTar-mega's defense is. Maybe a slight misplay to sub on Kyub, expecting a protect, but there was merit considering Scol's bulk might've warranted a 2hko even from Kyub.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
but there was merit considering Scol's bulk might've warranted a 2hko even from Kyub.
Since it's the LO spread I'm expecting nil/partial HP investment in favour of attack and speed, even so a rough mental calculation shows LO recoil death at least given DClaw.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Man, that game with Ash was pretty cool. It was tight and pretty fun for my games. I suppose I can share some of my thought processes here, if anyone doesn't mind.

Now obviously, right off the bat I saw that my Banded Talonflame posed a threat to his team. It could easily beat and clean most of his team once weakened enough, and that was my goal for the game. My Earth Plate Landorus-T checks Scolipede, Garchomp, and Terrakion, while Aegis can play with Azu. Everything else could just suck it :q lol but mostly they were there for supporting the team by just damaging stuff

Some critical turns here are definitely the Gengar predict and the sniping of Aegislash. My Lando using Knock Off was actually a no-brainer predict, as Terrakion wouldn't bother staying in on a Lando and his only Ground-immune was Gengar. I would still gain something if he switched to something else regardless as it'd lose its item anyways.

The Aegislash snipe tho. Actually, Aegislash was important in the grand scheme of things as it could handle Azu and Scoli nicely and I could just bust Shadow Balls like no tomorrow with Gengar gone. However, I'm retarded; I wasn't paying attention to LO damage and still though of choice as possible arrhhhhghishgihdhsdjjk :[[[ Regardless, I believe I should have KSed here to scout for Flamethrower being there or now (has to drop something for Bug Buzz) in that situation as I still got answers to the threat of Chomp regardless.

The endgame was another misplay from me again. I thought they would bother for the Protect but come one I'm retarded and Subbed . Regardless, I wouldn't get the KO on Scolipede, so it was there either way.

Props to Ash Borer for the p cool game though.
MegaTar users are often 'greedy' and invest purely in speed and attack, so being KO'd after rocks by a STAB LO Megahorn isn't too surprising, especially considering it has a guaranteed 1HKO against Deo-D, who invests in HP and has an even higher Defense stat than MegaTar.
What did you expect from a STAB SE 120 BP Attack to do. And yeah, it was the basic 252 Atk / 252 Spe which could be more optimized but eh.

I'd share my team here if anyone cares.

E: At least I learned to pay attention to the logs more lel

Last edited:
Could you perhaps also post links to your replays? I don't know about anyone else, but matches don't embed on Chrome (there's literally a blank space where the replay should be). Maybe there's something I'm missing that is preventing me seeing them, but I don't have AdBlock running currently and they're still not present.

Could you perhaps also post links to your replays? I don't know about anyone else, but matches don't embed on Chrome (there's literally a blank space where the replay should be). Maybe there's something I'm missing that is preventing me seeing them, but I don't have AdBlock running currently and they're still not present.
Yeah, sorry. Adjustments have been made, didn't realize that people had difficulty seeing them.

Edit Jayd Yeah I'm just going to use a link...

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry. Adjustments have been made, didn't realize that people had difficulty seeing them.
Think you could do that for the past replays too? I'd like to see the battle people are talking about with Chesnaught and Gyarados but its only appearing as a tiny box in that quote in the OP.

I can't stress this enough. I will be updating this thread with a new replay later, if you have one, private message it to me. By my count, two people have given me a replay properly for this next round.

Honestly you guys are just shitting up this thread with nonsense by arguing over if his replay was good or not. This thread isn't for getting advice on battling or letting them know what they could do better, Doughboy already has that under control. Replays of excellence is what the thread is for and the poodle game was less than stellar to say the least. To Ajwf, I will submit a replay soon so you can get this thread back on topic and under control.

Okay, I deleted a bunch of off-topic posts. Please read the OP and the thread rules on how to submit a replay rather than just posting your battles on a whim. Focus the discussion on the current replay, Memoric vs Ash Borer. And properly submit your own replays so they can be discussed when AJ posts them. Thank you.

It's Week 1 of FCL and I'm matched up with Utsu. Based on team matchup it's pretty even, Talonflame and Gyarados are a bit trouble some so I need to be careful with hold I play my Rotom-W and Skarm. As for my win condition, it looks to be NP plot Thundurus as long as I can wear down the Latias to the point where HP Flying can take it out, Zard X won't be able to sweep this game due to the Lando-T and Gyarados Intimidate core.

I make a bit of a overprediction leaving my Amoonguss on Talonflame predicting the U-Turn and trying to go for a Spore. With that I lose my Rotom-W counter and a good decent check to Gyarados. I do get a lucky crit on the incoming Landorus-T which helps me possibly sweep with Zard X if the opportunity presents itself.

Now its Rotom-W vs his Aegislash. At this point I just want to wear this thing down enough to beat able to beat with anything on my team. I do miss a pretty crucial WoW that would have allowed me to Roost back up with Zard while it was out on Aegislash and late in the game where the residual damage would have been really nice to have.

I misplay again, but this time with Zard X because I should have just EQ'd the Aegislash but now due to the fact that I missed the WoW I can't live a Sneak from that range.

Late Game it apparent that Thundurus wins me the game if I get good damage rolls. After I wish up and sack my Clefable I force Utsu to King's Shield otherwise he loses right there. I'm not willing to take chances here and NP Plot so going for Thunderbolt is my best play. At this point it come down to damage rolls: if he got high rolls on both Shadow ball (70% or more) and Shadow Sneak, I lost. If he got a low roll with Shadow Ball, I won barring a crit. If he got a high roll with Shadow Ball and a low roll with Shadow Sneak, I won.

Basically, high roll with Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak wins him the game. High roll Shadow ball comes down to rolls with Shadow Sneak decides the game.
This game was played very well, so well that it came down to a coin flip (ban it obviously) on who would win. There are very few plays you could question. Are there any you see that had you scartching your head, even if it was a successful play? For me, Aegi staying in on Subject 18's Rotom-Wash was slightly questionable, even though it paid off.

Two replays in a row, we've seen Healing Wish Latias pass off to a Talonflame for a late game sweep, both times it falls just short. This strategy seems to turn talonflame into not only a revenge killer but a late game cleaner. Is the livability a reason to use it? Have you seen it outside of these replays to any success?

Any plays we see that gives a crucial advantage towards the end? Subject 18 didn't really make a misplay, but the turn Aegislash stayed in and Shadow Balled Charizard WAS game changing, and should Utsu have won, it would've been seen as the key play. Any other plays similar?

Great game, you two. The end calc shows just how down to the wire that game really was.

It's a shame Utsu couldn't have got rocks up. This goes to show how important stealth rocks are.

I still don't understand at turn 37 why he used Healing Wish instead of Defog.
I would assume it was because the talonflame in reserve had 15% HP, and healing wish sends it with 50% as opposed to 15. The clefable coming in was right about at the range that Def clef might've taken a psyshock and KO'd with moonblast.

I still don't understand at turn 37 why he used Healing Wish instead of Defog.
To (ever so slightly) build on what Ajwf said already, by using Healing Wish Talonflame has a chance (depending on the EV set of the Clefable) to not thoroughly burn itself out with recoil. By using Defog over Healing Wish, Talonflame would have died much quicker to recoil so it was definitely the better of the two options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)