2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
DestinyUnknown I would have Miranda over David luiz but I think it's fair to say that Scolari made his mind up about the team after they won the Confed cup.
Yeah I would too, and I understand that most of the time it's better to stick up with a group of players that have experience playing together instead of changing a lot of players just 1 month before the tournament starts. But the worst thing about it is that Filipe was on Brazil's squad for the Confed cup (he didn't get to play but still) so it makes no sense.

On Madrid drawing today: they looked tired and honestly it would have been a surprise if Valladolid hadn't managed to score. And now all the opportunist Real Madrid 'fans' (unfortunately there are a lot) will say this season's been shit and that Ancelotti should be sacked. Then, if Madrid wins the CL, they will negate saying anything bad about the team in the past. It's so annoying to see...

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looking at the squad again... Lucas leiva isnt even the best lucas not on the team... Lucas moura has had the potential to be absolutely dominant for psg this year, as evidenced by an amazing 10 assists in 16 starts. He would be an amazing impact sub but he was also left off, and again he was on the confed cup squad (and came on as a sub once iirc)

In general though it feels like teams just take too many defenders... What other options does scolari have because he has an extra cb...? Does it really help at all? Id much rather see a player who at least offers something no one else has.

Miranda and felipe luiz should be in the squad. Lucas leiva should be there as well imo. I can understand coutinho getting ommited. Guy is just wildly inconsistent and has really frustrated me this season.

Since we are talking about a NT, I want to ask the English people in this thread what their England squads would be.
I shouldn't care since I'm not English (although I used to live there). I made this since I'm bored. I think ideally it would be:
GK: Hart, Foster, Forster.
Defenders: Jones, Cahill, Jagielka, Walker, Caulker, Shaw, Cole, Baines
Midfielders: Gerrard, Wilshere, Barkley, Ox, Sterling, Henderson, Barry, Lallana
Forwards: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Sturridge.

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
From what I heard, Lampard is definitely going to Brazil but imo, his performances don't justify his selection and Hodgson will probably say that he wants him for the 'experience' that he brings to the squad. If old players are going to be selected just so that they can have one last World Cup, Kaka really should have been called up lol. And I'd take Lambert (Wickham?) over Carroll and Johnson over Walker or Cole. I think that Milner's going to be in the squad too.

According to some sources if Van Gaal leads United next season this would be his ideal 11.

United has a ton of rumors going around. Van Gaal as trainer, and players like Hummels and Cavani on sight, and not only that with two amazing young promises in Januzaj and Wilson, next season could be the uprising of a fallen giant. I am really excited to see Manchester United as a loyal fan next season. This season under Moyes wasn't exactly good ((read: terrible)) but I'm sure that the Red Devils will pick up the pace next season.

Out of Barcelona these are the players that have been transfer listed, Mascherano, Song, Tello, Fabregas, Alves, Adriano, Pedro and Alexis.

don't think next season will be very successful for utd since he'll have to rebuild the team, they'll probably end up contesting arsenal for fourth

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Out of Barcelona these are the players that have been transfer listed, Mascherano, Song, Tello, Fabregas, Alves, Adriano, Pedro and Alexis.
I don't feel comfortable increasing our reliance on Neymar so soon. -_-

Also fro this season I feel that we're missing a thoughbred striker since Villa left, which was earlier handled by Eto'o and Henry. Sanchez's pace helped sort of with that too with the incisive wing rushes.... So yeah I'd not mind getting ONE good quality striker in the fold along with some defensive manpower and shedding some midfield flab.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Sagna has agreed to a deal with Manchester City. Chelsea were said to be interested but I'm glad that didn't happen. His best days are behind him and Azpilicueta and Ivanovic are both better than him (he's a better crosser than Ivanovic though). And I don't understand why City want him; Zabaleta's better and they also have Richards (who Arsenal should try to get).

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Germany announces squad. Only 2 forwards wut? Loew u mad bruh?

EDIT: Gomez out, but Podolski in... curioser and curioser. wtf.

EDIT 2: Squad

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover).

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm, Kevin Grosskreutz (both Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg).

Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Miroslav Klose (Lazio).

Last edited:

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover).

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm, Kevin Grosskreutz (both Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg).

Schurrle is really more of a forward, which makes the numbers make a little more sense. Surprised both Durm and Grosskreutz made it, seems unnecessary to carry that many fullbacks, especially when you already have lahm able to cover on either side... perhaps the plan is for lahm to play in midfield the way he has been for club?

Norwich gone now, boring last day of season to come, who would have thought it, ah well at least now there's transfer speculation to build our hopes over!

Also one thing that really annoys me is all the pundits that say Welbeck is a cert or I would put Smalling in he's done well. WTF kind of planet have these players done well in?? Welbeck wouldn't be near my England squad, I'd take Lambert and Agbonlahor (I would have taken Rodriguez), players who are important to their clubs and have experience and are consistent (or at least far more consistent than Welbeck). Hell I would probably take Crouch before Welbeck. Don't get me started on Smalling, I properly rage when someone mentions him ahead of... well anyone who actually plays regularly!

But I also think I know why managers pick completely clueless players. Hodgeson and Scolari obviously have their favourites and they must have whispered something in their ear along the lines of "You're the best! I believe you'll be the best player in the world and I trust you no matter what!!!" some time back to motivate them. So if they drop them, they'll look like a complete fool in the dressing room and they'll lose their best supporters and authority. Also if they bring someone else in, the original players who went through qualifying would have a problem, even if they don't say it, cos their mate just got dropped and someone else is coming just to get the glory. So yeah managers must forever pick shit players because of their own mistakes and trying to keep up the dressing room happy. From the outside they look like retards and they are. Overpaid management retards.

This is my England team, if you don't like it insult me or something:

Hart; (Foster, Forster).
Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; (Walker, Jones, Shawcross, Cole).
Gerrard, Wilshere; (Carrick, Parker).
Ox, Rooney, Lallana; (Sterling, Barkley, Agbonlahor).
Sturridge; (Lambert).

The starting XI was exactly what I wanted last year and I hope he starts like that. It was a toss up between Henderson and Parker and I always had a soft spot for Parker so fuck it.

^ agree with the first XI but I would switch Shawcross, Carrick, agbonlahor and Parker (wtf at last two) with caulker, henderson, welbeck and milner

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg).

Kevin Volland is a striker too, plus Reus/Schurrle and even Muller can play as a forward in a pinch. Gomez has had a lot of injuries this season... he hasn't played much so it's no surprise that he's out. Germany usually plays with a 4-5-1 so having only 3 pure strikers doesn't look that surprising, plus it must be noted that players like Kiessling or Gomez would have probably made the team if it weren't for their injuries, especially Kiessling who has had a good season.

Schurrle is really more of a forward, which makes the numbers make a little more sense. Surprised both Durm and Grosskreutz made it, seems unnecessary to carry that many fullbacks, especially when you already have lahm able to cover on either side... perhaps the plan is for lahm to play in midfield the way he has been for club?
Grosskreutz can play in pretty much any position, he will probably play as a winger/midfielder too. Jansen is a full back too but he's played as a winger for Germany sometimes. There are actually more midfielders than full backs so Lahm will play some time as a full back for sure, he played as a midfielder in their last match against Chile though.

Last edited:

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Kießling played horrible in 2014 so far and Götze can also play as a central striker if needed.
With Klose and Gomez not having a good season 2013/14, we don't have any proper striker left anyways. But we should have enough midfielders / wingers who can score

rumors that we will sign lallana before the world cup starts

very underwhelming signing for me

edit: v SuperScizor, i really want to sign kono and i'd take him over lallana. i'm a sucker for pace

Last edited:
Norwich gone now, boring last day of season to come, who would have thought it, ah well at least now there's transfer speculation to build our hopes over!

Also one thing that really annoys me is all the pundits that say Welbeck is a cert or I would put Smalling in he's done well. WTF kind of planet have these players done well in?? Welbeck wouldn't be near my England squad, I'd take Lambert and Agbonlahor (I would have taken Rodriguez), players who are important to their clubs and have experience and are consistent (or at least far more consistent than Welbeck). Hell I would probably take Crouch before Welbeck. Don't get me started on Smalling, I properly rage when someone mentions him ahead of... well anyone who actually plays regularly!

But I also think I know why managers pick completely clueless players. Hodgeson and Scolari obviously have their favourites and they must have whispered something in their ear along the lines of "You're the best! I believe you'll be the best player in the world and I trust you no matter what!!!" some time back to motivate them. So if they drop them, they'll look like a complete fool in the dressing room and they'll lose their best supporters and authority. Also if they bring someone else in, the original players who went through qualifying would have a problem, even if they don't say it, cos their mate just got dropped and someone else is coming just to get the glory. So yeah managers must forever pick shit players because of their own mistakes and trying to keep up the dressing room happy. From the outside they look like retards and they are. Overpaid management retards.

This is my England team, if you don't like it insult me or something:

Hart; (Foster, Forster).
Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; (Walker, Jones, Shawcross, Cole).
Gerrard, Wilshere; (Carrick, Parker).
Ox, Rooney, Lallana; (Sterling, Barkley, Agbonlahor).
Sturridge; (Lambert).

The starting XI was exactly what I wanted last year and I hope he starts like that. It was a toss up between Henderson and Parker and I always had a soft spot for Parker so fuck it.

Completely agree with this post. Welbeck had a TERRIBLE season. He's not consistent or fast enough to be in England's (or ManUtd's for that matter) pace.
Don't get me wrong I had hope in him, but after that clear goal he missed in front of Neuer.. Everything just went downhill. I'm glad we had Mata and Januzaj to actually score for us. If only Moyes had been quick..
The England squad you listen should be fine and hold its own, but I don't think it's a World-Cup winning team.

We'll see how England does against a Honduras that has been proven to hold its own nicely. It'd be an old giant against a darkhorse.

On a completely unrelated topic, is anyone else bummed out that Poland didn't qualify? It had a nice squad..

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
agree with nos' changes to nli teams. selecting parker is genuinely mental lol.

hahaha yeah chaser, we can chat about how snodgrass howson johnson and becchio failed to keep you in the division. i would take the first two back in a heartbeat tho.

i just feel that lallana was a signing we could have made before we made it into the CL. thought we would aim for a higher caliber once we qualified. i guess not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)