Old cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Half shark! Half man! Fighting evil, that's the plan!

god that was a great cartoon

I liked all the classics; transformers, tmnt, he-man. I was never really into G.I Joe for some reason. Bravestar was kickass but I barely remember it and I'm sure very few of you have even heard of it. Disney afternoon was good, I hated Bonkers though, fuck he was annoying. Oh, and THE GREEN FOREST!god I wish I could find episodes of that now, I'd love to watch it again.

I think the only decent cartoon airing now is Avatar; The Last Airbender. It reminds me of how cartoons used to be, as there is actually action, drama, and an interesting storyline. Most other cartoons now are just stupid gags and jokes.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
some I found on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animated_series

I think I´ve watched all of these on various german TV stations...

of the 80s:

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (if this isn´t classic then nothing is)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (another classic)
The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers (one of my favorites)
Bravestarr (awesome, stonerchris thnx for reminding me of the title)
The Centurions (could attach weapons to their suits)
Duck Tales
He-Man and She-Ra
Inspector Gadget
Pink Panther
Ghostbusters

and others from the 80s I´ve seen

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Around the world with Willy Fog
Beetlejuice
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Dinosaucers
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
Thundercats
Tom and Jerry

if I´d go through the early 90´s there would be a ton more

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I know a lot of people keep mentioning Tom & Jerry, but keep in mind it's not a true 80s cartoon. It had been around for decades before any of us were even born, just like all the Merry Melodies.

For me, when I was growing up I would watch:

Eek! the Cat (I still try to find episodes of this show, it was ungodly funny)
Animaniacs (Reader's Digest voted it "Coolest Cartoon on TV" 2 or 3 times, it was one of the first cartoons that bridged the generation gap and made adults laugh just as much as kids)
X-Men (oh fuck I can hear that theme music in my head right now GOD that was a good cartoon)
Ghostbusters
Duck Tales
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
I didn't have cable, but whenever I could catch Ren & Stimpy I did. At one point, I downloaded every single episode in the series along with some never aired ones, about 10gigs in all. Fucking awesome.

And, finally, the mother of all 90s cartoons... the Tick. I dare anyone to watch an episode of that and not laugh, it was pure genius. (Well, the first season was... then Arthur's voice actor changed and it started to kinda suck.)

Well as you can guess. My all time favorite is TMNT. Just a great cartoon. I Don't think there is anything to argue there.

I was never a really big transformers guy i liked the show but it was really a little before my time. But when it later became beast wars i fell in love with it.

Then there was X-Men which me and my brother would always watch. I remember having a crush on Rouge

Then there was the nick shows. Animaniacs, ren and stimpy, doug, and rocko's modern life. Wait was Animaniacs WB or Nick i forget. But excluding Doug when you watch those Cartoons the humor is completly different. I noticed this when ren and stimpy came to spike tv. That show was ruthless. That is a quality you don't really see much anymore. The only cartoon i think is a little like that is spongebob.

Oh and how did i forget Inspector gadget. Man i remember when my neighbor learned how to play part of the theme song on the phone.

great times.

These are the shows I enjoyed growing up:

TMNT
Land Sharks
Aladdin (the TV series)
Super Mario World
Gargoyles
Jonny Quest (that newer one where he's a teen)
Spider Man
Pokemon (only the 1st season. Everything after word was too repetitive.)
Dexter's Laboratory
..and despite their lack of creativity, I liked Power Rangers. >_>

I spent a lot of Saturday Mornings at my grandparents watching Kids WB and Fox while eating a bowl of good ol' Captain Crunch. ^_^ And when I was done, I'd go outside and play a bit, pretending to be Spiderman, a pokemon trainer, or power rangers, and after that, I'd go inside and play Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES.

excuse me, I think I'm spacing out from all this nostalgic daydreaming.

Let see there was Animaniacs, Gargoyles, X-men, Pinky & the Brain, Ed Edd & Eddy, and Invader Zim were my favorite old cartoons. The only cartoon that came out recently that I really watch is Fosters though

norulz

excellent
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (if this isn´t classic then nothing is)
Hey man, that was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid.

Animaniacs (Reader's Digest voted it "Coolest Cartoon on TV" 2 or 3 times, it was one of the first cartoons that bridged the generation gap and made adults laugh just as much as kids)
This was awesome too, stopped being aired here too soon, the only good memory I have of this was a videogame for the Sega Mega Drive.

Pinky & the Brain
Pinky & The Brain, one is a genius, the other's insane, hahaha I loved this so much.

Anyway, I think recent cartoons are awesome as well, just not in a style like the 80's cartoons, take My Gym Partner's A Monkey as an example, this is my favorite cartoon and probably will always be, the humor here is just irreplaceable, the sound effects, and the background music is just spectacular. The plot is stupid, which I guess is part of the style. This is one of the few actual good cartoons aired by Cartoon Network here. Hopefully it'll be aired for a long, long time.

Anyone here remember the show Swat Katz (or is it Kats? I do not remember). That show was pretty cool back.

Spongebob is the only show I find to be of decent quality nowadays. It makes some pop culture references and jokes for the adults to laugh.

Power Rangers, the originals, were awesome. Many of the old monsters, were pretty sick as well. But then they came out with so many random sequels and such I lost tract.

"Oh, I had a ton of favorite old cartoons growing up. Some of them were:

Street Sharks"

Oh fuck yes.

Also Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Hey! Arnold, early Bruce Timm shit, beast wars/machines, scooby doo movies, Freakazoid, tiny/loony toons, animaniacs, the flinstones, jetsons...

Spongebob is the type of show you would watch if you are in a great mood, since it can actually be pretty funny.

I love when the characters coughSquidwardcough get into random explosions for no reason whatsoever. c'mon, how is that not funny? And it is not tasteless, since it actually has very smart jokes for anyone with a brain to pick up.

Dino Riders, bitches. Also Samurai Pizza Cats, TMNT (original), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Biker Mice from Mars, Buckey O'hare...the list goes on to avoid transformers (cept beasties/beast wars) and also avoid thundercats.

barnyard commandos? food fighters?

Edit: I got darkwing duck on DVD for a birthday present. It sucks ass to watch it now, cept when Megavolt said that Darkwing Duck couldn't do something cause he was handicapped (no offense) from being blinded temporarily. It was mostly funny cause I didn't think even back then you could say that on TV!

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Man, just about anything on old-school Nickelodeon is a gem; Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Ren and Stimpy, Pinky and the Brain (and The Animaniacs, of course)and Invader Zim (this is newer, but still a great show) -- I still laugh while watching these shows. Great stuff.

X-Men, Spider-Man, Transformers, and Beast Wars all deserve mention for being fantastic animated series..es. I grew up watching these shows.

I was born in the early 90's, so I missed out on a lot of shows. Personally though, I liked some old shows like the angrey beavers, rockos modern life, Ren and stimpy (distingtly remember the episode when Stimpy says crap) and some other stuff.

Sonic the Hedgehog, anyone? I don't remember much, but something about falafels seems to ring a bell. Man that show is classic. I gotta go find that on Bittorrent or something.

Oh, and I second the Jackie Chan Adventures mention, I can always hear Jackie's grandpa being like "JACKIEEE! Go get the TA-LEES-MAN!!"

I remember a lot of old cartoons that are superior to the modern day cartoons aired on Nickelodeon and other stations. I liked the X-Men a lot. =)

The problem with Spongebob, for me, is that its lost its comedic timing, as well as overall comedic quality.

On topic, this thread is made of win. Stuff like Freakazoid, Road Rovers, Tom & Jerry, Swat Kats, Jackie Chan Adventures, Batman The Animated Series, and Samurai Jack are what I grew up with, and deserve all the accolades they can acquire.

Also, <3 <3 <3 Avatar long time.

that old sonic the hedgehog cartoon is what made me stop liking sonic. for one thing, he had STEVE URKEL's voice...eww. he was always pigging out on chilli dogs, giving kids the contradictory message that you can eat like shit but still run super fast. and as a final kick to the balls, they gave him a bunch of faggy woodland critter friends. I remember a fat purple walrus and this effeminate french dog creature. ugh.

And, finally, the mother of all 90s cartoons... the Tick. I dare anyone to watch an episode of that and not laugh, it was pure genius. (Well, the first season was... then Arthur's voice actor changed and it started to kinda suck.)
Do you remember the Mr. Smartypants episode, with the Dolphin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)